ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible recruiting

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
Yes, I thought Trace Jackson Davis lived up to his hype although he couldn't shoot from the outside. But I was just thinking about all the hype that IU, Peegs, the Indy Star, and South Bend Tribune gave to all of these guys who were coming in and would be super stars. But I can't think of any recruit in the last 10 years, other than Jackson, who stayed the course and was a star. My point is don't ever believe the hype. It is wrong most of the time. Am I missing somebody and please don't say Romeo Langford who was a total bust. I guess our recruiting is really flawed or seems to be.

Yes, I thought Trace Jackson Davis lived up to his hype although he couldn't shoot from the outside. But I was just thinking about all the hype that IU, Peegs, the Indy Star, and South Bend Tribune gave to all of these guys who were coming in and would be super stars. But I can't think of any recruit in the last 10 years, other than Jackson, who stayed the course and was a star. My point is don't ever believe the hype. It is wrong most of the time. Am I missing somebody and please don't say Romeo Langford who was a total bust. I guess our recruiting is really flawed or seems to be.
Romeo was anything but a bust.

Romeo avge 16 .
You do that ..Your considered one the best in the nation..

Saying Romeo was a bust is nonsense. He averaged over 16 points a game and played hurt most of the season. JHS lived up to the hype.

Saying Romeo was a bust is nonsense. He averaged over 16 points a game and played hurt most of the season. JHS lived up to the hype.
He didn't stay the course. That was a big part of my post. I want to see them stay, develop, improve and win. Give me three star kids. How much is Kentucky winning with all their fives?

Can I be a "bust"? I could use $18 million.

Did Romeo steal your lunch money or something? Or are you just an a-hole?
Work for it then. No he’s a bust tho. Are you trying to argue that? He was awful in the nba. Shitty shooter.

Work for it then. No he’s a bust tho. Are you trying to argue that? He was awful in the nba. Shitty shooter.
How many college basketball players actually make the NBA? What, about 0.1%? Maybe he didn't pan out as expected, but the dude played multiple years in the NBA and earned some bank. If that's your definition of a bust, so be it.

How many college basketball players actually make the NBA? What, about 0.1%? Maybe he didn't pan out as expected, but the dude played multiple years in the NBA and earned some bank. If that's your definition of a bust, so be it.
How many guys are ranked top 5 in their class, have a court named after them, and hold autograph session after HS games.

He’s a bust my man.

We have made the tourney. And sweet 16s. That season was an epic failure. Worst in the last 20 years easily I’d say.
I’d say Vonleh’s only year here was a huge disappointment. Not only did we have Vonleh as an “impact” player, but we also had a sophomore Yogi on that team. They went 17-15, finished 8th or 9th in the B1G. A McDonalds All-American PG and a McDonalds All-American F/C and went 17-15. Not many teams can accomplish that.

Romeo got bad advice so did Landers. Recruiting is not an exact science.

I’d say Vonleh’s only year here was a huge disappointment. Not only did we have Vonleh as an “impact” player, but we also had a sophomore Yogi on that team. They went 17-15, finished 8th or 9th in the B1G. A McDonalds All-American PG and a McDonalds All-American F/C and went 17-15. Not many teams can accomplish that.
That was a bad season. CAM’s last season as well. And the year before Cody….CTC had Hulls VO Watshot and Sheehey and still managed to regress from the previous shitty season.

Vonleh did really well for the touches he got. 11 pts 9 reb and 52% from the floor

Vonleh was good until teams figured out they could double and sometimes triple him because IU had no outside game. I was very impressed with him early on.

There are only 450 slots in the NBA. The pinnacle in all of basketball. If you earn a spot, you are not a bust.
Yep. Everyone seems to disregard how crazy hard it is the make it to the NBA let alone stick around for a while. One NBA story I always got a kick out of was about Scot Pollard of all people. He played around 10 years in the NBA and avg like 2 pts per game. When he played for the pacers he told a story of some guys heckling him from be the bench about how much he sucked. He said he just turned around, smiled at them and said "Yeah but they pay me millions to suck this bad! He was a guy who understood how lucky he was to be in the NBA at all.

Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland come to mind. Should've been a dynamic backcourt. Man I wish Dawson Garcia had joined Galloway[regressing] and Leal[splinter gatherer] in their class. Romeo seemed worse after Arkansas game. Infighting that season too didn't help. I love guys like AJ Moye,Steve Eyl and Matt Roth who come in ,work hard and give their best on the floor.

He didn't stay the course. That was a big part of my post. I want to see them stay, develop, improve and win. Give me three star kids. How much is Kentucky winning with all their fives?
It doesn't matter, we are not KY., Kansas, or Duke. We recruit headliners, not players.

I'm less concerned with how the highly rated (top 40) guys have turned out than I am with how few of our "4 year" guys have developed into impactful players, as they've gotten older.

Reactions: BigAppleHoosier
I'm less concerned with how the highly rated (top 40) guys have turned out than I am with how few of our "4 year" guys have developed into impactful players, as they've gotten older.
There haven't been many that played 4 years at IU recently ... and most had two different coaches.

TJD (top 40 but stayed 4) , Race, Durham, Green, Davis, Morgan, Johnson .. two broke out, one was decimated by injury, one was a head case, the others all improved but weren't considered impactful..

Woodson did well with TJD, Miller did well with Morgan ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT