ADVERTISEMENT

Observations on talent in this new era

demunn

Sophomore
Mar 15, 2017
The more I look at our talent over the past few years (beyond Woody), while there have been exceptions, I wonder whether we are really getting what I'd maybe call a "tier 2" (being only 2 tiers) five star player and whether that has any factor in their willingness/capability to be coached/developed.

It just seems we've systemically had players with strong reputations and likely told for years how great/elite they are but the reality is that they aren't elite enough to bypass the attitude and work ethic necessary to consistently perform at a high level. Edey was a 3 star and clearly worked his ass off. JHS was a five star, had some rough edges but clearly had the talent to perform consistently and get to the next level in year one. TJD is maybe an exception and did work his tail off but we've had hyped others who simply haven't hit their potential.

I guess what I wonder is whether the five stars we land don't necessarily have the attitude, team mentality and work ethic necessary to play consistently at a high level or if are they necessarily wired to do so? Are we better off focusing on high 3 or 4 stars (not that we summarily ignore 5 stars) and trading off talent for work ethic? Are we screening for the right things?

I have stated this a little differently in the past. We have recruited a lot of good athletes Who play basketball rather than basketball players Who are good athletes. Go back to Archie Miller. Look how many athletic wing type players We recruited. Guys Who were 6'5" to 6'8" Who could drive the ball to the basket, jump out of the gym, but couldn't throw the ball in the Ocean if they were standing in the Surf. In some cases this showed up in lack of Court sense and Court Awareness and poor decisions.

If I have the choice, I will take the guy Who has the Basketball Skills and Court sense but may not be quite as Athletic.

Reactions: demunn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT