ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier basketball fans tend to be delusional.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Once again Hoosier Nation fans are wailing about not being the Big 10 champions. Isn't this a bit of an overreaction? I mean, in the 25 years of the Big 10 tournament the Hoosiers have never won it. The reality is that more often than not they've been out in the first round.

Folks seem to forget that before this season the Hoosiers had not had a winning record in the Big Ten since the 2015-2016 season. Think about that! A losing record for the past 6 years. And this year Woody gets the team a third place finish and the winning record. And people are upset!

I don't recall Bobby Knight talking about national championships at the beginning of the season. Every year he said the goal was to win the Big 10. Of course back then every team had the same conference schedule - how crazy was that?

And then last year Mike Woodson comes back and proclaims that he's going to lead the Hoosiers back to the promised land. He should have said the promised land was having a winning conference record. Especially after 6 years of losing.

But instead he said the goal was to win the national championship. His players are still saying that the goal is to win the national championship even after yesterday's loss to Penn State. Woody has the best of intentions but this goal is a marketing blunder. Hoosiers are looking at this season as another failure. This season has been a great success. Success starts with winning more games than you lose.

Every key player that returned on this year's team showed significant improvement over last season. And they won more basketball games than they lost. The Hoosiers point guard goes down and the guy that steps in is freshman of the year and third team Big 10. His high school teammate has been getting better every game. Next year Malik should be a real impact player.

When Woody arrived back in Bloomington he sat down with TJD and his father and explained to him what he still needed to do before he transitioned to the NBA. Last year he was second team all Big 10. He decides to come back and goes from second team all big 10 to first team All-American. Yet after yesterday's loss there are posts about Woody not being able to develop his players.

I am thrilled that Woody is winning more games than he is losing. His players are improving. I'm sure this is not lost on recruits. The future is bright. Folks need to appreciate the glass being half full for a change.

I think the future is very muddy.
He only has a ok class next yr..He'll need immediate help from the portal..
I haven't seen any studs verbal for 2025.
So Mike better hope portal guys like the idea of the Facilities..The nutty national fan base and the old tradition..
I personally can't see guys thinking Mike Woodson is some young cool coach..
Because we all no he's old..And he acts and speaks like he's old..

So Mike better hope portal guys like the idea of the Facilities..The nutty national fan base and the old tradition..
Your post made me think of this montage.

Why would studs verbal in the 25 class at this point? Probably won’t get verbals for the 24 class until the end of the summer beginning of fall?

If he sends players to the NBA young studs will like him. They won’t care that he’s old.

Reactions: Willdog7
He is younger than me so I don't see it! But I get it.

Reactions: Florida4IU
Once again Hoosier Nation fans are wailing about not being the Big 10 champions. Isn't this a bit of an overreaction? I mean, in the 25 years of the Big 10 tournament the Hoosiers have never won it. The reality is that more often than not they've been out in the first round.

Folks seem to forget that before this season the Hoosiers had not had a winning record in the Big Ten since the 2015-2016 season. Think about that! A losing record for the past 6 years. And this year Woody gets the team a third place finish and the winning record. And people are upset!

I don't recall Bobby Knight talking about national championships at the beginning of the season. Every year he said the goal was to win the Big 10. Of course back then every team had the same conference schedule - how crazy was that?

And then last year Mike Woodson comes back and proclaims that he's going to lead the Hoosiers back to the promised land. He should have said the promised land was having a winning conference record. Especially after 6 years of losing.

But instead he said the goal was to win the national championship. His players are still saying that the goal is to win the national championship even after yesterday's loss to Penn State. Woody has the best of intentions but this goal is a marketing blunder. Hoosiers are looking at this season as another failure. This season has been a great success. Success starts with winning more games than you lose.

Every key player that returned on this year's team showed significant improvement over last season. And they won more basketball games than they lost. The Hoosiers point guard goes down and the guy that steps in is freshman of the year and third team Big 10. His high school teammate has been getting better every game. Next year Malik should be a real impact player.

When Woody arrived back in Bloomington he sat down with TJD and his father and explained to him what he still needed to do before he transitioned to the NBA. Last year he was second team all Big 10. He decides to come back and goes from second team all big 10 to first team All-American. Yet after yesterday's loss there are posts about Woody not being able to develop his players.

I am thrilled that Woody is winning more games than he is losing. His players are improving. I'm sure this is not lost on recruits. The future is bright. Folks need to appreciate the glass being half full for a change.
Agree with a lot of what you have said, but not about stating the goal of winning a NC. You don’t change a culture by aiming low.

I don’t consider this season to be a roaring success, but I do think that it is an improvement, especially in light of the new depths that we reached under CAM. You won’t see me calling for CMW’s head anytime soon. That can’t be good enough though. We can’t afford to take one step forward and then two steps back. The momentum has to be maintained.

Reactions: Tru2Irish and kkott
Tom Crean had us competitive and won B1G in 2013 and 2016 outright. Nobody is going to be happy until nets are cut at a natty. Let’s be honest with ourselves

Tom Crean had us competitive and won B1G in 2013 and 2016 outright. Nobody is going to be happy until nets are cut at a natty. Let’s be honest with ourselves
Cream would still be here, even without an NC, if he could’ve just maintained some consistency and momentum. You can’t have one solid year and then fall off a cliff the next year.

That's just muddy thinking

IU had (past tense) a wonderful basketball history for about 50 years. It won’t get that back. This conference has several teams with fanbases that support their teams just as much as IU. The domination of programs like Wisconsin over IU was just a start. Now, schools like Rutgers, Northwestern, Penn State and Iowa are just as good if not better.
IU gets tremendous support considering its output.
Woody is much better than Little Napoleon but he’s just a stop gap for a couple more years. His assistant group is not good. If he wants quicker success, he has to hit the portal hard as hell. What he’s got behind JHS and TJD is a roster that’s pretty weak compared to the rotation at other schools in the conference. We are average at best.

I'd argue Hoosier basketball fans tend to know good coaching when they see it.

And right now IU looks like they're exhausted about every third game - a trend that seems to be getting more pronounced. Bad body language. Defensive breakdowns, and we're two years in and have no idea what they run on offense, other than ISOs.

We lose almost everyone who plays major minutes. This was our year to make some noise. Baring a mega home run with the transfer portal next year will be rough.

That’s depressing

So definite, so absolute, IU should just blow up SSAH and call it a day.

Is that what they said in between Branch and RMK Barney?
You surely remember don't you?
Nope….but you need to get it through the steel plate in your head that IU is an average basketball’s program at best that gets fan support like it is elite.
It will continue to put out mediocre basketball product but at what point does the attendance take a sustained hit?

I don't disagree but this BTT was set up for us nicely and they shit the bed.

IU had (past tense) a wonderful basketball history for about 50 years. It won’t get that back. This conference has several teams with fanbases that support their teams just as much as IU. The domination of programs like Wisconsin over IU was just a start. Now, schools like Rutgers, Northwestern, Penn State and Iowa are just as good if not better.
IU gets tremendous support considering its output.
Woody is much better than Little Napoleon but he’s just a stop gap for a couple more years. His assistant group is not good. If he wants quicker success, he has to hit the portal hard as hell. What he’s got behind JHS and TJD is a roster that’s pretty weak compared to the rotation at other schools in the conference. We are average at best.
Dude, log-off and go away.

I love your post and the best is yet to come.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Give the man a chance, 22-win season finishing third in the big 10 for starters.

IU would never pony up the dough to hire a coach like Matt Rhule though.
they just did pony up that kind of dough 2 years ago but Brad said “no”

But then that’s basketball, not that “other sport” that’s usually a warmup for Hoosier Hysteria

Last edited:
they just did pony up that kind of dough 2 years ago but Brad said “no”

But then that’s basketball, not that “other sport” that’s usually a warmup for Hoosier Hysteria
WHY? We have our coach . CMW.

Nope….but you need to get it through the steel plate in your head that IU is an average basketball’s program at best that gets fan support like it is elite.
It will continue to put out mediocre basketball product but at what point does the attendance take a sustained hit?

Please cut and paste where I said IU was elite.
I will wait.
TIA Barney.

WHY? We have our coach . CMW.
That’s not the point—the point is, regardless of how anyone feels re: Woody, or the BB program in general, IU was (allegedly) prepared to spend $70 million on a new BB coach 2 years ago (Stevens) but would never even consider an amount anywhere close to that for a football coach. It’s not really about Woodson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT