ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Dusty May

There's a sh!+ - ton of speculation in this post masquerading as fact. Also, Jim Larranega, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino and Kelvin Sampson say "really ?". If I hadn't looked at your username, I'd swear FPeaugh was back on the board. In addition to all the stuff you claim to know in this post, just wondering if you've spotted Billy Donovan in Bloomington looking at horse farms.
Agree with this 100%.

Wasn't IU on the losing side of rebounds all season? Certainly seemed that way to me. That's generally what happens when nobody on a team boxes out.

Woody is going to have to demand more out of these guys if we want to see improvement. Watch FAU and Kansas St. box out and go after the ball. IU's team paled in comparison.
We were 2.1 in diff (6th in the B1G), TJD averaged ~11 per game. Doubt we were consistent tho so average probably not the best metric.

There's a sh!+ - ton of speculation in this post masquerading as fact. Also, Jim Larranega, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino and Kelvin Sampson say "really ?". If I hadn't looked at your username, I'd swear FPeaugh was back on the board. In addition to all the stuff you claim to know in this post, just wondering if you've spotted Billy Donovan in Bloomington looking at horse farms.
Or, it might be another doofus? I won't mention their name. I'm sure you could figure it out if you thought about it for less than 30 seconds. LOL!

Great article on Coach May. Fact is, Woody is 65 and has made comments about "not knowing how much longer he will be doing this for". As of right now, May has to be #1 to replace him.

How Dusty May turned Florida Atlantic basketball into an NCAA Tournament team​

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Great article on Coach May. Fact is, Woody is 65 and has made comments about "not knowing how much longer he will be doing this for". As of right now, May has to be #1 to replace him.

How Dusty May turned Florida Atlantic basketball into an NCAA Tournament team​

Boo! You need a subscription to read this article.

I am pulling for FAU and for Dusty.

That said, this reminds me of the rush to give Andy Enfield a power 5 job after the FGCU tourney run 10 years ago (wow, time flies!).

Andy has done a decent job of making USC relevant and upping their recruiting, but they have hardly become a powerhouse. I suppose that 205–128 at a football school is nothing to complain about, and 2nd-6th place conference finishes there won't get him fired, but they were hoping to get on UCLA's level. Maybe that was happening when SA was coaching UCLA, but not any more.

Reactions: MrBing
I am pulling for FAU and for Dusty.

That said, this reminds me of the rush to give Andy Enfield a power 5 job after the FGCU tourney run 10 years ago (wow, time flies!).

Andy has done a decent job of making USC relevant and upping their recruiting, but they have hardly become a powerhouse. I suppose that 205–128 at a football school is nothing to complain about, and 2nd-6th place conference finishes there won't get him fired, but they were hoping to get on UCLA's level. Maybe that was happening when SA was coaching UCLA, but not any more.
Enfield went to a Sweet Sixteen, not a Final Four.

Reactions: kkott
Porter Moser went to a Sweet Sixeen AND a Final Four. Two years in at Oklahoma he hasn't made the post season at all. Two years in at IU, Woodson's made it both years. Yet you want him shitcanned. If Dusty May comes to IU and has the same success the first two years as Moser at OU, you would want him executed because you have the emotional stability and patience of a toddler.

yes, as a 15 seed, and playing a very entertaining style

Not saying the accomplishments are the same, but it was a similar run in terms of being unexpected and a boon for the coach.

Before 2013 I doubt anyone outside of FL had heard of Florida Gulf Coast. Before 2023 I doubt anyone outside of FL had heard of Florida Atlantic.

Before a smart school scoops him up.
2018-19 Overall 17-16, conf 8-10, tied for 9th in conf

2019-20 ovrall 17-15, conf 8-10, 9th

2020-21 ovr 13-10, 7-5 conf, 4th in conf

2021-22 ovr 19-15, 11-7 conf, tied 2nd

2022-23 ovr 35-3, 18-2 conf, 1st

Not too impressive in the first few years and not nearly as quick a program turnaround as some here demand.

What happened between last season and this season to make FAU such a good team? Yes, playing 4 years together is huge but appears there is more to it than that.

Last edited:

Not too impressive in the first few years and not nearly as quick a program turnaround as some here demand.

What happened between last season and this season to make FAU such a good team? Yes, playing 4 years together is huge but appears their is more to it than that.
This is a program that plays in a 2900 seat “arena” and hasn’t made the NCAA tournament since 2002. And you’re complaining about his first 3 years, which all showed steady improvement?

Regardless of what happened between last year and this year, obviously something clicked, either with finally getting all the pieces together or the players “got” what was being coached in them.

This is a program that plays in a 2900 seat “arena” and hasn’t made the NCAA tournament since 2002. And you’re complaining about his first 3 years, which all showed steady improvement?

Regardless of what happened between last year and this year, obviously something clicked, either with finally getting all the pieces together or the players “got” what was being coached in them.
Listing his recent record is complaining? Sure.

Unless you can point to a specific attribute that DM uses, playing recruiting style, etc., on what are you basing future success by hiring him other than “something clicking”? That’s a fairly large leap of faith.

As they say: past performance is not indicative of future results.

What happened between last season and this season to make FAU such a good team? Yes, playing 4 years together is huge but appears their is more to it than that.
Out negative poster crowd would have demanded his head during his first four seasons. That's 100%!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Let’s Do the Time Warp Again-

Different season-exact same conversation BUT Dusty May is a new name. If he were brought in just the beginning of a new cycle. It doesn’t take long to go from the hero to the goat. First loss and the mumbling would begin.

Reactions: MrBing
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT