ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again. Bryant and Holt cited for alcohol possession.

Failing grades were also a factor. That team was a mess and needed to be exploded, so what is your point here?

The point is Crean was awfully high on his horse when everyone was accepting his team losing because he was "cleaning up the program"

7-8 years later where winning at a high level is expected we've seen Crean soften up some of his punishments. We aren't exactly looking at a program that screams "cleaned up". IU has had more police issues under Crean with " Crean's players"

I went back to 1985 and looked at the sweet 16 appearences by the schools who we think are elite. The reason I picked 1985 is that is the year they expanded the tournament to 64 teams and eliminated byes so everyone had to win two games to get to the sweet 16. there has been 31 tournaments so that is a very big sample size and Iu don't really stack up to these schools.

Duke 22/31
UNC 21/31
Kansas 19/31
UK 16/31
UL 14/31
UCLA 12/31
IU 9/31
If that is not enough I think IU has made the sweet 16 19 times in 76 tournaments and that averages to one out of every 4 years. You stated that making the sweet 16 once every 4 years is not good enough at IU but the stats show that is exactly what happens at IU. Since 1985 when the tournament expanded RMK got to the sweet 16 6 out of 16 years and that comes out to 37.5% of the time. Crean is 2 out of 7 for 29% of the time and if Crean makes it this year that is 3 out of 8 for 37.5% percent of the time.

Saying all of this I am just stating that your expectations is based on things that has never happened at IU and to think they will is just not realistic because to expect things to happen that has never happened is wrong.

You left out the part about getting PAST the Sweet 16 once we got there.

The fact is, every single person who followed college basketball called us elite.

100%

I'll let you have the last word because I'm tired of your stupidity on this.

But at least you have The Cheater agreeing with all your posts we were never considered elite.

Sure, Holt was just driving innocently home and had no knowledge that Davis was going to jump over the hood. I could be totally, totally wrong: there may have been no way to have known, but again, I'm using my own experience as my guide. If I'm in a car and my buddy is road side getting ready to jump my car, I have a pretty good idea what he's going to do. Maybe I think he's faking and then he actually does it, but at some point I'm behind the wheel and have to take responsibility for that.This is one of those cases.
It seems I remember that Davis entered the roadway from the shoulder after being dropped off in the parking lot. I am not going to assume my buddy is going to jump on a moving car. Even if Davis hadn't been hurt, a 230 lb guy is going to cause damage to the car (which he did). So no, I wouldn't expect him to jump on the car. We used to do some crazy things, but that would not have entered my mind. I wasn't there, but the people in the car backed up that Holt was not at fault.

I guess we will have to disagree.

UK is not stupid. In fact, I would argue that they are much, much, much smarter than we are when it comes to managing the optics around their program.

The Wildcat Lodge is a brilliant solution. It allows the players to have a protected environment AND it gives the program much greater control.

I was thinking about that. Can you imagine how much crap goes down there that is never reported. I'm certain that the rule. Don't ask, don't tell, regarding EVERYTHING. Maybe that is what needs to happen. College kids are going to drink, but they are better off to have a safe haven for that activity. Let the coaches deal with the rule breaking and keep the others out of it.

You left out the part about getting PAST the Sweet 16 once we got there.

The fact is, every single person who followed college basketball called us elite.

100%

I'll let you have the last word because I'm tired of your stupidity on this.

But at least you have The Cheater agreeing with all your posts we were never considered elite.
You just don't like the fact that it has been proven by stats that we don't match those other programs. Do you want me to go to the number of final fours in that time span for each team because you won't like those numbers either. Is your self worth so much tied into thinking IU is elite that when someone proves that wrong you feel insulted.

Last edited:
Reactions: SequoiaHoosier
The Coach is not with his players 24/7. How can he possibly prevent poor judgement on the part of his players when he is not with them, particularly with a freshman he is just getting to know. Crean did not give them the alcohol. He cannot babysit them. How is it Crean's fault that they do these things. I agree Holt should be gone, but that is on him. What Bryant did is on him.
From the outside looking in I think you've got a number of things creating this atmosphere. Crean has reached the point where he casts a wide net of offers then appears to promise whatever it takes to get players to commit which increases the feeling of entitlement that today's pampered athletes already have. Once you promise them everything how do you expect them to take you seriously when you hit them with rules. You're also up against a difference in coaching personalities. Which one would a young player fear most when it hits the fan, an enraged Tom Crean or an enraged Bob Knight? You also have a coach that appears to have no real loyalty to his players and treats them as easily replaceable parts. Loyalty and respect are two way streets. For the players to take the coach's guidance seriously he needs to treat them as if they are valued by him. Not knowing if you'll be here one year or four has to test that level of loyalty from the players.

From the outside looking in I think you've got a number of things creating this atmosphere. Crean has reached the point where he casts a wide net of offers then appears to promise whatever it takes to get players to commit which increases the feeling of entitlement that today's pampered athletes already have. Once you promise them everything how do you expect them to take you seriously when you hit them with rules. You're also up against a difference in coaching personalities. Which one would a young player fear most when it hits the fan, an enraged Tom Crean or an enraged Bob Knight? You also have a coach that appears to have no real loyalty to his players and treats them as easily replaceable parts. Loyalty and respect are two way streets. For the players to take the coach's guidance seriously he needs to treat them as if they are valued by him. Not knowing if you'll be here one year or four has to test that level of loyalty from the players.

I guess you have to pick between the following:

a) being asked to leave the program; or

b) getting choked in practice; having feminine products placed in your locker; having soiled toilet paper presented to you at practice; getting head-butted on national television; et. al...the list goes on and on...

b) getting choked in practice; having feminine products placed in your locker; having soiled toilet paper presented to you at practice; getting head-butted on national television; et. al...the list goes on and on...

and give me B - at least those players were intelligent and could win BIG. if you want your nails done - go get a manicure

Is being involved in an -OH incident the near killed a friend and ended their b-ball career an issue?

Absolutely, yes. And it was dealt with appropriately at the time.

Holt is still a 19 year old kid/young adult. It is not reasonable to expect him never to drink alcohol again.

Do zero tolerance policies ever work?

It seems I remember that Davis entered the roadway from the shoulder after being dropped off in the parking lot. I am not going to assume my buddy is going to jump on a moving car. Even if Davis hadn't been hurt, a 230 lb guy is going to cause damage to the car (which he did). So no, I wouldn't expect him to jump on the car. We used to do some crazy things, but that would not have entered my mind. I wasn't there, but the people in the car backed up that Holt was not at fault.

I guess we will have to disagree.

Think about the mechanics of jumping a car. You can't do it standing 2 footed from the side of the road. Think of a high jump. Can you tell when someone is doing a high jump that they are going to jump, or are you shocked every time they attempt to clear the bar? Davis would have to be taking steps towards the car to prep for a jump, and coiling his body. Like I said, you might think he's faking, but you'd have to see him moving towards the car and preparing to jump (unless you are impaired or distracted, and for that you're still responsible). At any rate, we can and do disagree: Holt (and Davis) is responsible for his part, and should be held responsible for that beyond a "drinking incident". This only proves that Holt didn't take that nearly seriously enough.

I was thinking about that. Can you imagine how much crap goes down there that is never reported. I'm certain that the rule. Don't ask, don't tell, regarding EVERYTHING. Maybe that is what needs to happen. College kids are going to drink, but they are better off to have a safe haven for that activity. Let the coaches deal with the rule breaking and keep the others out of it.
It may be a good idea to house the players together with someone connected to the athletic department living there as an RA. I would include a curfew during the season and another general curfew during the off season. That doesn't stop them from going out and doing stupid things, but it could identify who is at risk.

My cousin is 2 years removed from playing D2 ball and was hired at the end of the school year as an assistant coach for VU. He is living in the dorms and besides leading camps and the summer individual workouts with the team, he also lives in the dorms. This summer, he made sure the players attended class, kept an eye on them and basically kept them out of trouble. Maybe it is time we did something like that. Kevin Wilson lived in the dorms when he first came to IU. It could be done.

and give me B - at least those players were intelligent and could win BIG. if you want your nails done - go get a manicure

I guess...whatever...RMK didn't win it in his last six years. MD won in 2002 and TC won it in 2013. I prefer more recent results...and they didn't criminally assault or batter anyone.

Also, I don't understand the manicure reference.

When were your undergrad years in Bloomington...out of curiosity?

Absolutely, yes. And it was dealt with appropriately at the time.

Holt is still a 19 year old kid/young adult. It is not reasonable to expect him never to drink alcohol again.

Do zero tolerance policies ever work?
It is reasonable to think that if he wants to still be on the team. You guys view point is just unbelievable but I guess some have different moral and values which they live their lives.

Think about the mechanics of jumping a car. You can't do it standing 2 footed from the side of the road. Think of a high jump. Can you tell when someone is doing a high jump that they are going to jump, or are you shocked every time they attempt to clear the bar? Davis would have to be taking steps towards the car to prep for a jump, and coiling his body. Like I said, you might think he's faking, but you'd have to see him moving towards the car and preparing to jump (unless you are impaired or distracted, and for that you're still responsible). At any rate, we can and do disagree: Holt (and Davis) is responsible for his part, and should be held responsible for that beyond a "drinking incident". This only proves that Holt didn't take that nearly seriously enough.
To get where the accident happened from where they supposedly dropped him off would require Davis to move quickly or run to the road unless Holt paused for some time before entering the road. Holt might not have seen him coming or had time to judge the intentions of Davis. We just don't know. Again the people in the car said it was Davis' fault. It sounded to me like Davis hit the car instead of the car hitting Davis.

It is reasonable to think that if he wants to still be on the team. You guys view point is just unbelievable but I guess some have different moral and values which they live their lives.

Yes, absolutely. I know that some IU fans have an incredibly hard time believing that anyone could possibly see the world differently than they do, but that is reality.

People do have different moral beliefs, and you do not get to decide which are valid and which are not...except for yourself.

Live and let live.

Couple game suspension for both Holt and Bryant. Crean should sit out the same number of games as his players. Get the message from top-down. And move on!

I guess...whatever...RMK didn't win it in his last six years. MD won in 2002 and TC won it in 2013. I prefer more recent results...and they didn't criminally assault or batter anyone.

Also, I don't understand the manicure reference.

When were your undergrad years in Bloomington...out of curiosity?

Knights last 6 years were very poor - by the standards he set. Now Crean would kill for those results. Pretty sad when the only point of reference was Knight's 6 worst years against Crean's - and Creans still pale in comparison. Let me know when 12 loss Tommy wins 3 national titles

Knights last 6 years were very poor - by the standards he set. Now Crean would kill for those results. Pretty sad when the only point of reference was Knight's 6 worst years against Crean's - and Creans still pale in comparison. Let me know when 12 loss Tommy wins 3 national titles
Just a little fact I found last night doing some research is that in his last 16 years RMK went to the sweet 16 6 times which is 37.5% and if Crean goes this year it will be 3 out of 8 which is 37.5%.

Will do. I will also let you know when he does the following:

Runs off McDonalds All-Americans at this rate:
- Luke Recker
- Jason Collier
- Neil Reed
- Sherron Wilkerson

Chokes own player
Head butts own player
Kicks own player
Berates Rance Pugmire after Mizzou NCAA game
Professes misogyny on national television to Connie Chung
Batters own assistant coach and resultantly is subjected to civil lawsuit
Forcibly places LSU fan in trash can
Batters Puerto Rican police officer and gets convicted in absentia
Allegedly batters random guy in parking lot of Mexican restaurant in Elletsville
Batters IU student Kent Harvey

Loses following NCAA first or second round games:
- 2000 - Pepperdine by 20
- 1999 - Saint Johns by 25
- 1998 - UCONN by 10
- 1997 - Colorado by 18
- 1996 - Boston College by 13
- 1995 - Missouri by 5

you really want to compare the 2 careers? are you Kent Harvey? Miles Brand Jr.? Give me any of those first round losses over the mess I have witnessed the past 7 years. outside of 2 decent teams, this experiment has been an unmitigated disaster. again, let me know when 12 loss Tommy wins 3 national titles

Will do. I will also let you know when he does the following:

Runs off McDonalds All-Americans at this rate:
- Luke Recker
- Jason Collier
- Neil Reed
- Sherron Wilkerson

Chokes own player
Head butts own player
Kicks own player
Berates Rance Pugmire after Mizzou NCAA game
Professes misogyny on national television to Connie Chung
Batters own assistant coach and resultantly is subjected to civil lawsuit
Forcibly places LSU fan in trash can
Batters Puerto Rican police officer and gets convicted in absentia
Allegedly batters random guy in parking lot of Mexican restaurant in Elletsville
Batters IU student Kent Harvey

Loses following NCAA first or second round games:
- 2000 - Pepperdine by 20
- 1999 - Saint Johns by 25
- 1998 - UCONN by 10
- 1997 - Colorado by 18
- 1996 - Boston College by 13
- 1995 - Missouri by 5

I'm failing to understand your point. Is it that Knights behavior wouldn't be tolerated in 2015? Is it that even at his lowest we still made the NCAA? Is it that he ran off Mcd's AA's? At least he stood for something. Better than Crean's recruitment of players with clearly very questionable judgement.

Convenience Food Mart, 1401 N Dunn.

i believe that's the convenience store at 17th and Dunn, basically across the street from Assembly Hall and just down the street from where Davis ran out in front of Holt's car.

5 guys in a car in the convenience store parking lot at 3;50 AM drinking vodka in an area heavily patrolled..

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

it's like they didn't even try not to get caught.
This whole thing seems so stupid and irresponsible.

I know where this store is, and it impresses me as similar to a 7-11.

Does anyone know whether it sells alcohol? I've read the news stories but didn't find one that said where the alcohol was obtained. (If this particular store sells alcohol, that would be a reason for the excise police to be there.) Not making excuses for anybody. Just trying to understand what happened.

By the way, the news stories do confirm that both Holt and Bennett were passengers, not driving, but that really doesn't help much.

Also, I'd be curious if anyone has a link to any news story saying whether or not the alcohol containers were open or closed and whether or not Holt and Bennett were actually drinking. I couldn't find any. Again, not making excuses. Just curious what exactly happened.

Just a little fact I found last night doing some research is that in his last 16 years RMK went to the sweet 16 6 times which is 37.5% and if Crean goes this year it will be 3 out of 8 which is 37.5%.

Coach A
6 years
115-79 (55-41)
4 NCAA (National Title game and 2 Second Round)
1 Conference Title
Finish higher than 5th in Conference: 4 times

Coach B
7 years
121-111 (49-77)
3 NCAA (2 Sweet 16)
1 Conference Title
Finish higher than 5th in Conference: 1 time

Coach A was forced out for not meeting expectations. Coach B?

Does anyone know whether it sells alcohol? I've read the news stories but didn't find one that said where the alcohol was obtained. (If this particular store sells alcohol, that would be a reason for the excise police to be there.) Not making excuses for anybody. Just trying to understand what happened.

By the way, the news stories do confirm that both Holt and Bennett were passengers, not driving, but that really doesn't help much.

Also, I'd be curious if anyone has a link to any news story saying whether or not the alcohol containers were open or closed and whether or not Holt and Bennett were actually drinking. I couldn't find any. Again, not making excuses. Just curious what exactly happened.

I don't know about alcohol but it sells killer BLT's!

Coach A
6 years
115-79 (55-41)
1 Conference Title

Coach B
7 years
121-111 (49-77)
3 NCAA (2 Sweet 16)
1 Conference Title

was not comparing them as coaches because RMK is one of the best of all time. Just pointing out that some think just making the sweet 16 is not good enough at IU and I was just showing event he best we ever had did not get pasted the sweet that often. I know coach A is Davis but he has nothing to do with this discussion.

was not comparing them as coaches because RMK is one of the best of all time. Just pointing out that some think just making the sweet 16 is not good enough at IU and I was just showing event he best we ever had did not get pasted the sweet that often. I know coach A is Davis but he has nothing to do with this discussion.

Mike Davis made the national title game and that wasn't good enough at IU.

Crean needs to win now. No excuses. Time to win or move on.

You just don't like the fact that it has been proven by stats that we don't match those other programs. Do you want me to go to the number of final fours in that time span for each team because you won't like those numbers either. Is your self worth so much tied into thinking IU is elite that when someone proves that wrong you feel insulted.

I don't give a crap about "stats"....especially when they leave out our previous Titles.

If you surveyed everyone that watched college basketball......and all the reporters who covered it.....20 years ago, they would have said we were one of the elite programs.

And you might want to give your "self worth" lecture to your buddy Mr. Cheater.

That's a great point about loyalty.

Crean over-signs all the time which proves he has no loyalty to the players....so they don't show it to him.

Yes, absolutely. I know that some IU fans have an incredibly hard time believing that anyone could possibly see the world differently than they do, but that is reality.

People do have different moral beliefs, and you do not get to decide which are valid and which are not...except for yourself.

Live and let live.
I'm pretty sure the coach gets to make the rules, and "don't get arrested and / or cited for possession or consumption" is a fairly basic one. Holt should've known better, especially given what happened last year.

This episode is further confirmation that too many players don't respect either the coach or the school and that they're more interested in indulging their personal whims than anything else. It also shows that Crean isn't getting through to them, even in the wake of suspensions and expulsions. The more he talks the less they listen, even as he believes otherwise. And it shows that there is no team leadership from the players, who should be dedicated enough to police their own activities with enough discretion and maturity that law enforcement are never a part of the equation. There's a time and place for everything, unless you don't care about or are wary of the consequences of your actions. These guys don't care, and Crean is ineffective in leading them. It's why they, as a group, chronically underachieve.

I don't give a crap about "stats"....especially when they leave out our previous Titles.

If you surveyed everyone that watched college basketball......and all the reporters who covered it.....20 years ago, they would have said we were one of the elite programs.

And you might want to give your "self worth" lecture to your buddy Mr. Cheater.
Dude 20 years ago was 1995 and I went back to 1985 and the stats show we are not in the category as those other programs. You want to compare us to the Duke or UK and I have shown you many times that we just don't matchup with those teams. I just don't understand where you come up with that IU should be in that category even though we have never had that kind od continual success. Even when we were in the category and winning championships we never had a 10 to 20 years continuous success that teams like Duke or UK has. We have had two 4 year spans where I would call us elite and that was from 73-76 and 91-94 but n the other years where we won championships it was followed by some down years and that is the difference between us and those other elite programs.

And on many today the cops taxi athletes home. That is not the right answer but it keeps some of IUs opponents eligible when ours are punished. Need one set of standards.
I'd like to see the evidence of that; likely the exception rather than the rule, if true at all.

Coach A
6 years
115-79 (55-41)
1 Conference Title

Coach B
7 years
121-111 (49-77)
3 NCAA (2 Sweet 16)
1 Conference Title

Don't forget coach A also had a much tougher strength of schedule.

This whole thing stinks.
1. On the one hand we have what appears to be selective enforcement.
2. On the other hand we have terrible program management and oversight by the head coach and staff. YES, the head coach sets the tone and communicates expectations of the program. When the program's members are caught time and time again there is a serious disconnect between the program's expectations and that of the players.

They sell beer but not liquor. Gas stations in Indiana are not allowed to sale liquor, only warm beer. The food mart is not a gas station but falls under the same category.

First offense....as my coach in college called it, RYTO(run your tits off). Let
Mr Bryant get acquainted with the bleachers of assembly hall. Coach knights favorite punishment. holt should be suspend 2 games.

Sounds good to me.

I also would sit down with each player individually & then with the team collectively and tell them that a zero policy is in effect immediately, & that the next player who gets in trouble with the law will not play basketball for IU.

B all day everyday... What's wrong with getting smacked around once in while? The players that are part of the current clown show would probably be thankful in hindsight for a nice forearm shiver to the throat. It would be better than losing a full ride at Indiana and ending up at Odessa college.

I'd like to see the evidence of that; likely the exception rather than the rule, if true at all.
Don't have a dog in this fight but I know Ball State cops will taxi athletes home. However when they are in cars driving and drinking kids are going to get busted everywhere. Of course in East Lansing you get a free trip,to Italy as your punishment.

Reactions: Frankie611
Bloomington cops clearly look for IU bb players. They are easy to pick out. But why? I can guarantee in lexington they dont target their players like this
Clearly look for IU players??!! That's almost funny. These players are not very smart getting caught!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT