ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again. Bryant and Holt cited for alcohol possession.

You are 100% right about this.

To me the elite are the top 5 teams and we are just under that and nothing is wrong with that but you want to compare us to the likes of Duke and UK and I have shown we have not ever been on that level of achievement. Look at what the other 5 programs that I have ahead of us and tell me where we compared to them with the longevity of success. We have year or two that we are elite like in 75-76 but we have never put a 10 year period like those other programs have in their history. Are we one of the top programs, yes but I would not put us in the elite catagory where I guess you think we are.

This is being blown out of proportion
Agreed.

First of all its super easy to get busted at IU. Holt and Bryant should know better but so should the 75% of the freshman and sophomores who routinely put themselves in this situation.

I was at 3 parties my first week 20 years ago that got busted. The only reason I didn't get caught is they can't cite everyone if they all run off in different directions.

I'm sure Crean preaches abstinence only education when it comes to booze and that's why we have so many incidents.

Give these kids some practical advice rather than telling them not to do it. They're going to drink... make sure they don't embarrass themselves and the program.

If you want a program with no drinking or partying you probably should switch allegiances to BYU.

This completely blows over if a program wins. End of story. Like it or not, nobody says anything anymore about OSU players selling the gold pants trinkets. OSU won the national championship and is BTN's media darling.
Everybody at Baylor is amped up for football despite the scrutiny for allowing a guy on the team who has used women as his own personal punching bag.
And Penn State? Nevermind the pedophile who roamed the showers. That is a distant memory, so much so that they are currently sitting on the #2 recruiting class.
Nobody will care about this if we win and that's the state of the world today.

It is all about decision making or the lack there of that is the problem. if you can;t trust the kids to make the right decisions off the court how can you trust them to make good decisions on the court and to make themselves better players. Like I saw on the show about the 81 team and Thomas and Whittman got into it with Turner because Turner was complaining about not getting the ball enough. Thomas and Whitman said that they could not trust him in practice then how could they trust him in the games. Turner was not taking practice seriously and was getting in trouble for being late or going to parties instead of going to class.

Reactions: AEgley
This completely blows over if a program wins. End of story. Like it or not, nobody says anything anymore about OSU players selling the gold pants trinkets. OSU won the national championship and is BTN's media darling.
Everybody at Baylor is amped up for football despite the scrutiny for allowing a guy on the team who has used women as his own personal punching bag.
And Penn State? Nevermind the pedophile who roamed the showers. That is a distant memory, so much so that they are currently sitting on the #2 recruiting class.
Nobody will care about this if we win and that's the state of the world today.

Prolly not going to happen with the current admin.

To me the elite are the top 5 teams and we are just under that and nothing is wrong with that but you want to compare us to the likes of Duke and UK and I have shown we have not ever been on that level of achievement. Look at what the other 5 programs that I have ahead of us and tell me where we compared to them with the longevity of success. We have year or two that we are elite like in 75-76 but we have never put a 10 year period like those other programs have in their history. Are we one of the top programs, yes but I would not put us in the elite catagory where I guess you think we are.

We are in about the 10-15 range now and falling fast.

Reactions: silvercamaro
Those of you blaming the cops and not the kid or program are hopeless.

I can't wait until this circus leaves town and takes you carnival barkers with it.

uh a little extreme don't you think? no way should someone get kicked off a time for a single drinking ticket or a single positive weed test, but they should be under the microscope moving forward.

Holt needs a sizable suspension or maybe even the boot. Bryant deserves a slap on the wrist -- at most a couple exhibition games.
They should be gone for being compete morons, if nothing else. How is it that scores of incoming frosh and underage students drink and do so without ever being cited? smh

I read some posts that suggest that maybe the police should just look the other way, because certain people (athletes) are "special" and the law should not be applied to them. What nonsense. First, every cop I have ever met has shown flexibility and judgement applying the law. I would have to see some sort of proof that the police did not do the same in this case. Second, perhaps the situation was too blatant, or the kids acted like dicks to the cop. I suspect there is a deeper story here, one that got Holt and Bryant in trouble. I'd say give the benefit of doubt to the police, and focus on the drinking issue here.

For those simple minds that think life is just like their favorite 60 minute TV show, let's find a single bad guy and blame him. That's it! Then everything will be okay. Let's blame Crean. He is the guy in charge, so it must be his fault... or so the weak minded logic goes. Really? Bryant hasn't been in the program long enough to have much influence by Crean. Holt has, but then again, he is a dolt. No, the blame belongs on the people who made the error in judgement in the first place, Holt mostly, and Bryant for hanging with the wrong guy. They should be accountable for their actions. These kids love basketball, so suspend them for some number of games. Keep the punishment in line with the crime. Let's no over blow this.

:cool:

JFC how much more garbage do you need to see? How can some of you not see what is so clear to most of us?

Holt is a college student. Newsflash: every college student I have ever known drinks.

What is wrong with you people? You sound like a bunch of angry villagers. Don't be villagers.

I'm angry b/c our program is a joke.

Does every college kid drink and hit his friend with their car, only to get arrested again 10 months later?

And get a free education to boot?

This is totally out of hand and this is Holt's second offense so he should be gone. It is time for Glass to take a long look at how Crean is letting these players get away with to much stuff.
The Coach is not with his players 24/7. How can he possibly prevent poor judgement on the part of his players when he is not with them, particularly with a freshman he is just getting to know. Crean did not give them the alcohol. He cannot babysit them. How is it Crean's fault that they do these things. I agree Holt should be gone, but that is on him. What Bryant did is on him.

Convenience Food Mart, 1401 N Dunn.

i believe that's the convenience store at 17th and Dunn, basically across the street from Assembly Hall and just down the street from where Davis ran out in front of Holt's car.

5 guys in a car in the convenience store parking lot at 3;50 AM drinking vodka in an area heavily patrolled..

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

it's like they didn't even try not to get caught.

This is totally out of hand and this is Holt's second offense so he should be gone. It is time for Glass to take a long look at how Crean is letting these players get away with to much stuff.
Crean told these boys to go get a bottle of booze and sit in a parking lot? This is on the players. Crean made the players move on campus. That didn't work. The only thing left is to move the team into one dorm and have an assistant coach move in with them to do a bed check every night. You want that job?

uh a little extreme don't you think? no way should someone get kicked off a time for a single drinking ticket or a single positive weed test, but they should be under the microscope moving forward.

Holt needs a sizable suspension or maybe even the boot. Bryant deserves a slap on the wrist -- at most a couple exhibition games.

And here is the problem. You think a slap on the wrist is fine. That strategy didn't work with Hanner, Stan, Devon, or emmitt. But hey it may work with Thomas. I can't believe people think a slap on the wrist is fine after th past 24 months. The players definitely aren't getting the right message

No you haven't shown it.

Before Coach K went to Duke and had great success, who were your Top 5?

Also, as I mentioned, if you asked ANYBODY that followed college basketball at ALL, IU was in their Top 5 20 years ago.

The Coach is not with his players 24/7. How can he possibly prevent poor judgement on the part of his players when he is not with them, particularly with a freshman he is just getting to know. Crean did not give them the alcohol. He cannot babysit them. How is it Crean's fault that they do these things. I agree Holt should be gone, but that is on him. What Bryant did is on him.
Agree 100% but few will get the basic concept. Crean being blamed for this is like blaming your parents for everything you did when they weren't around. I had great parent's who taught me right from wrong and had high expectations for all their kids. I still strayed when they were not around and when I got caught it was on me. I would suspect these boys parents, if good parents, are not blaming the coach for this matter or the school environment. They know this is a judgment problem and their kids are wholly responsible for what came down.

Reactions: WannaBeSurfer
Or maybe the police department has grown tired of players giving them the "Dont you know who I am?" attitude.
I think this is exactly right. Maybe if they were honest about the situation, and wouldn't have treated the cops like they were some kind of idiots by trying to hide the alcohol and decieve them after they already saw it, then they might not have cited them for something as small as possession by a minor.

Supposedly the cops heard them shouting here comes the cops, hide the alcohol. So of cousre when you try to hide evidence, deceive and lie to the cops, you more than likely won't be catching any breaks or done any favors.

@WTHRcom: UPDATE: #IUBB players tried to hide bottles of vodka from officers in parking lot on N. Dunn St.: http://t.co/0BvUQ9iwFi

@JennieWTHR: NEW: Excise Police say 5 people were in the car parked outside Convenient in Bloomington. Officers say #IUBB Holt shouted to hide vodka.

Holt needs to be gone. How many more chances does he get? Apparently his last foul up taught him nothing.
Just another embarrassment under the Crean regime.

Even if you try to be objective here it is very hard to exonerate Coach Crean when 90% of the players that he has brought in have been kicked off the team, left the team on their own, or been busted or almost killed because of their antics. What a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: TheLaffy
This is suspicious. I'd like to know how many under 21's were drinking. Were others "cited" or were only IU basketball players caught? It's alcohol - college kids drink. As long as no one was behind the wheel ? Why weren't they just not sent home as is usually the case with IU parties?
We've got heroin and HIV problem in this state and they are using resources to target beer drinking college kids.
They were drinking in a car at the food mart by the stadium where the police take breaks 30 times a day. Come on that's just dumb.

No it's not extreme. It's the law and these kids should be held accountable. It's time to set an example. First offense that you test positive for....your outta here. Plain and simple....i mean what fantasy land do you live in with giving these kids more chances.

Coverdale wasn't booted for two in one year.
Covs issues weren't a team pattern.

HMP: DUI, caught with pot
Troy: 1 (maybe 2) failed drug tests
Davis: minor consumption, caught with pot
Stan: minor consumption, failed drug test
Yogi: minor consumption
Bryant: minor with possession of Alcohol
Holt: minor consumption, driving with alcohol in system, minor possession of alcohol

Double digit issues in the past 2 years.
Major steps need to be taken to curb this.

A slap on the wrist has had zero impact the past few years.

I'm not saying they have to be perfect, but they have to be smarter than this.
Something as simple as putting the vodka in the trunk while in the vehicle as a minor would have prevented this.

To me Holt is in a completely separate category. He hit someone with his car while drinking: a teammate no less! That's zero tolerance territory right there. The fact that they were in a car with bottles at that time of day, shows a complete disregard for the program imo. I think you suspend Bryant, but with the Davis incident I think Holt has used his last chance.

Last edited:
So true. When I think of all the times I or friends were busted with alcohol that wasn't ours.... oh wait, that never happened 1 single time. I hear ya, and I hope you're right, but we both know you're not. It's theirs, we know what they intended to do with it. It's a violation of university and team policy. Suspension for Bryant; 2nd offense for Holt = bye.

I've said since last year that more behavioral problems are a bigger threat to Crean's job security than mediocre bball results and they just keep piling up.
Until more details came out, what I said is true. I know two examples of kids that were ticketed for illegal possession. One got pulled over for speeding driving his dad's truck and was surprised to know there was a case of beer behind his seat that the dad forgot to unload. The cop looked in the back as he is trained to do and was pissed that the kid denied having any. The dad felt bad, but there wasn't anything he could do except pay the fine for his kid. Another was a pledge that was serving as a driver to his frat brothers. They got pulled over. The driver was ticketed for illegal possession.

Since Holt and Bryant were holding bottles and trying to hide them, it seems they weren't innocent bystanders. I still have questions about the circumstances that got them in trouble, but it really doesn't matter. They need to be smarter. Holt has been involved with two other players. He may not have been the ringleader either time, but he is the common thread in two incidents. He has had two violations in one year. He should quit drinking. He is bad at it.

He can't prevent it but he can do something about it afterwards and right now what he is doing is not working. he is the one that brought in these kids and if they keep making stupid decisions then it is one him for keeping these kids around.

No you haven't shown it.

Before Coach K went to Duke and had great success, who were your Top 5?

Also, as I mentioned, if you asked ANYBODY that followed college basketball at ALL, IU was in their Top 5 20 years ago.
I went back to 1985 and looked at the sweet 16 appearences by the schools who we think are elite. The reason I picked 1985 is that is the year they expanded the tournament to 64 teams and eliminated byes so everyone had to win two games to get to the sweet 16. there has been 31 tournaments so that is a very big sample size and Iu don't really stack up to these schools.

Duke 22/31
UNC 21/31
Kansas 19/31
UK 16/31
UL 14/31
UCLA 12/31
IU 9/31
If that is not enough I think IU has made the sweet 16 19 times in 76 tournaments and that averages to one out of every 4 years. You stated that making the sweet 16 once every 4 years is not good enough at IU but the stats show that is exactly what happens at IU. Since 1985 when the tournament expanded RMK got to the sweet 16 6 out of 16 years and that comes out to 37.5% of the time. Crean is 2 out of 7 for 29% of the time and if Crean makes it this year that is 3 out of 8 for 37.5% percent of the time.

Saying all of this I am just stating that your expectations is based on things that has never happened at IU and to think they will is just not realistic because to expect things to happen that has never happened is wrong.

Reactions: SequoiaHoosier
Until more details came out, what I said is true. I know two examples of kids that were ticketed for illegal possession. One got pulled over for speeding driving his dad's truck and was surprised to know there was a case of beer behind his seat that the dad forgot to unload. The cop looked in the back as he is trained to do and was pissed that the kid denied having any. The dad felt bad, but there wasn't anything he could do except pay the fine for his kid. Another was a pledge that was serving as a driver to his frat brothers. They got pulled over. The driver was ticketed for illegal possession.

Since Holt and Bryant were holding bottles and trying to hide them, it seems they weren't innocent bystanders. I still have questions about the circumstances that got them in trouble, but it really doesn't matter. They need to be smarter. Holt has been involved with two other players. He may not have been the ringleader either time, but he is the common thread in two incidents. He has had two violations in one year. He should quit drinking. He is bad at it.

So basically, you can't even convince yourself, right?

I think the guy behind the wheel is the ringleader by default. He hit someone with his car and could have killed them while drinking and underage. He got another chance. He blew his other chance.

Reactions: TheLaffy
I agree, but for me and my friends, who didn't have the incentive of protecting a college scholarship, we drank (and smoked) all we wanted to, and any of us getting caught by authorities, just didn't happen. There were times where an RA would bust up a party, but I don't think that would have resulted in police being called, and a charge of any kind (maybe a call to the coach). But actual police involvement and a charge? I can think of one instance where this would have made the news and resulted in charges among maybe 2 dozen folks I considered c

To me Holt is in a completely separate category. He hit someone with his car while drinking: a teammate no less! That's zero tolerance territory right there. The fact that they were in a car with bottles at that time of day, shows a complete disregard for the program imo. I think you suspend Bryant, but with the Davis incident I think Holt has used his last chance.
I don't like to be the guy pointing out errors and I don't want to defend Holt's actions, but I would like to point out a couple of things.
One, Davis tried to jump on the hood of the car. It is hard to miss hitting someone doing that. True Holt had been drinking, but he was under the limit for DUI. He was underage and any alcohol would have been illegal.

Two, he was driving another person's car. The other person might have been drunk. Having him drive might have actually been a good thing. It doesn't change the fact he should not have been out while drinking underage.

Someone else posted a list of infractions that the team has piled up. I am not aware Yogi was arrested for illegal consumption. His issue was using a fake ID to get into Kilroy's or another bar.

I don't like to be the guy pointing out errors and I don't want to defend Holt's actions, but I would like to point out a couple of things.
One, Davis tried to jump on the hood of the car. It is hard to miss hitting someone doing that. True Holt had been drinking, but he was under the limit for DUI. He was underage and any alcohol would have been illegal.

Two, he was driving another person's car. The other person might have been drunk. Having him drive might have actually been a good thing. It doesn't change the fact he should not have been out while drinking underage.

Someone else posted a list of infractions that the team has piled up. I am not aware Yogi was arrested for illegal consumption. His issue was using a fake ID to get into Kilroy's or another bar.

And he might have been rushing a device to prevent a meltdown to the nearest nuclear plant too, right? C'mon dude, you're making my back ache by trying to contort your views so much. There are excuses for every crime ever committed, just ask the folks who did them. At some point you've got to drop the what ifs and deal with what's before you. With where we are as a program, we're past the point of dealing with each situation individually, and the message needs to be: "fair or not, the next incident gets that guy canned, period." Collectively, that's where the program's players have pushed it and I think they all understand that.

So basically, you can't even convince yourself, right?

I think the guy behind the wheel is the ringleader by default. He hit someone with his car and could have killed them while drinking and underage. He got another chance. He blew his other chance.
Read my last line. After more details came out, it seems they weren't innocent bystanders. Until that point, I wasn't going to jump to conclusions. I don't have to be convinced of anything.

On the original violation. You try to miss someone jumping on your hood while cold sober. He was only at fault for illegal consumption, not DUI, and not at fault for Davis acting stupid.

Read my last line. After more details came out, it seems they weren't innocent bystanders. Until that point, I wasn't going to jump to conclusions. I don't have to be convinced of anything.

On the original violation. You try to miss someone jumping on your hood while cold sober. He was only at fault for illegal consumption, not DUI, and not at fault for Davis acting stupid.

Sure, Holt was just driving innocently home and had no knowledge that Davis was going to jump over the hood. I could be totally, totally wrong: there may have been no way to have known, but again, I'm using my own experience as my guide. If I'm in a car and my buddy is road side getting ready to jump my car, I have a pretty good idea what he's going to do. Maybe I think he's faking and then he actually does it, but at some point I'm behind the wheel and have to take responsibility for that.This is one of those cases.

Im pretty sure Crean kicked some of Sampson's players off with less than 2 drug/alcohol related incidents/arrests.

How far with the hypocrisy go for Crean to try and keep his job?
Failing grades were also a factor. That team was a mess and needed to be exploded, so what is your point here?

And he might have been rushing a device to prevent a meltdown to the nearest nuclear plant too, right? C'mon dude, you're making my back ache by trying to contort your views so much. There are excuses for every crime ever committed, just ask the folks who did them. At some point you've got to drop the what ifs and deal with what's before you. With where we are as a program, we're past the point of dealing with each situation individually, and the message needs to be: "fair or not, the next incident gets that guy canned, period." Collectively, that's where the program's players have pushed it and I think they all understand that.
Nuclear plant? That's just dumb.

It is simple. Holt has 2 violations. He is the common thread in two incidents involving two other players. Regardless of the severity of each, he has broken the trust of the team and will likely be off the team. Until the details were known, I wasn't going to call for any heads. There are still things we don't know, but I would be surprised if that changes anything.

We need an IU equivalent of the Wildcat Lodge.
I was thinking about that. Can you imagine how much crap goes down there that is never reported. I'm certain that the rule. Don't ask, don't tell, regarding EVERYTHING. Maybe that is what needs to happen. College kids are going to drink, but they are better off to have a safe haven for that activity. Let the coaches deal with the rule breaking and keep the others out of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT