ADVERTISEMENT

Here is an heart-warming story about Biden.

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
I don't know whether this is a copyright violation, but here it is. It is a heart-warming story told by Rabbi Michael Beals of Delaware.

"The story I’m about to share with you about Joe Biden is special — in fact, I’m fairly certain I’m the only living person left who actually witnessed it firsthand.
It was about 16 years ago, and I was a young rabbi, brand-new to Delaware, on my way to lead a shiva minyan — a worship service following the death of a Jewish person. I was from California. Back then, I didn’t know Claymont, Delaware from Scranton, Pennsylvania.
A quick bit of background: When someone passes away in the Jewish faith, we observe seven days of mourning, called shiva. We gather a group of ten Jewish adults together — a minyan — to say the Mourners’ Kaddish.
It usually happens in a person’s home — somewhere intimate.
In this case, the deceased individual — her name was Mrs. Greenhouse, of blessed memory — had not been a person of means. She had lived in rent-controlled senior housing in a tall high-rise building off of Namaans Road. Her apartment had been too small to fit everyone into, so we conducted our worship service in the building’s communal laundry room, in the basement of the high-rise.
We assembled the ten elders together, and it was in this most humble of places that I began to lead the kaddish.
Toward the end of the service, a door at the back of the laundry room opened, and who walks in but Senator Joe Biden, his head lowered, all by himself.
I nearly dropped my prayer book in shock.
Senator Biden stood quietly in the back of the room for the duration of the service.
At the close of the kaddish, I walked over to him and asked the same question that must have been on everyone else’s mind: “Senator Biden — what are you doing here?”
And he said to me: “Listen, back in 1972, when I first ran for Senate, Mrs. Greenhouse gave $18 to my first campaign. Because that’s what she could afford. And every six years, when I’d run for reelection, she’d give another $18. She did it her whole life. I’m here to show my respect and gratitude.”
Now, the number 18 is significant in the Jewish faith — its numbers spell out the Hebrew word chai, as in “to life, to life, l’chayim!”
But it’s also a humble amount. Joe Biden knew that. And he respected that.
There were no news outlets at our service that day — no Jewish reporters or important dignitaries.
Just a few elderly mourners in a basement laundry room.
Joe Biden didn’t come to that service for political gain. He came to that service because he has character. He came to that service because he’s a mensch.
And if we need anything right now when it comes to the leadership of our country — we need a mensch.
I know this is such a simple, small story. But I tell it to as many people as will listen to me.
Because I think that, in their heart of hearts, when people are trying to think about the decision they’ll make this year — this is the kind of story that matters.
Joe Biden is a mensch. We need a mensch.
Thanks for reading.
— Rabbi Michael Beals of Delaware

BTW, I have never been a Biden fan until he decided to run against Trump.

I don't know whether this is a copyright violation, but here it is. It is a heart-warming story told by Rabbi Michael Beals of Delaware.

"The story I’m about to share with you about Joe Biden is special — in fact, I’m fairly certain I’m the only living person left who actually witnessed it firsthand.
It was about 16 years ago, and I was a young rabbi, brand-new to Delaware, on my way to lead a shiva minyan — a worship service following the death of a Jewish person. I was from California. Back then, I didn’t know Claymont, Delaware from Scranton, Pennsylvania.
A quick bit of background: When someone passes away in the Jewish faith, we observe seven days of mourning, called shiva. We gather a group of ten Jewish adults together — a minyan — to say the Mourners’ Kaddish.
In this case, the deceased individual — her name was Mrs. Greenhouse, of blessed memory — had not been a person of means. She had lived in rent-controlled senior housing in a tall high-rise building off of Namaans Road. Her apartment had been too small to fit everyone into, so we conducted our worship service in the building’s communal laundry room, in the basement of the high-rise.
We assembled the ten elders together, and it was in this most humble of places that I began to lead the kaddish.
Toward the end of the service, a door at the back of the laundry room opened, and who walks in but Senator Joe Biden, his head lowered, all by himself.
Senator Biden stood quietly in the back of the room for the duration of the service.
At the close of the kaddish, I walked over to him and asked the same question that must have been on everyone else’s mind: “Senator Biden — what are you doing here?”
And he said to me: “Listen, back in 1972, when I first ran for Senate, Mrs. Greenhouse gave $18 to my first campaign. Because that’s what she could afford. And every six years, when I’d run for reelection, she’d give another $18. She did it her whole life. I’m here to show my respect and gratitude.”
Now, the number 18 is significant in the Jewish faith — its numbers spell out the Hebrew word chai, as in “to life, to life, l’chayim!”
There were no news outlets at our service that day — no Jewish reporters or important dignitaries.
Joe Biden didn’t come to that service for political gain. He came to that service because he has character. He came to that service because he’s a mensch.
And if we need anything right now when it comes to the leadership of our country — we need a mensch.
I know this is such a simple, small story. But I tell it to as many people as will listen to me.
Because I think that, in their heart of hearts, when people are trying to think about the decision they’ll make this year — this is the kind of story that matters.
Thanks for reading.

That's a nice gesture. Thanks for posting about it.

Reactions: cosmickid
My hope is that, if nothing else, the failed Trump presidency will force people, or at least enough people the influence an election, to scrutinize character more closely when voting...

My hope is that, if nothing else, the failed Trump presidency will force people, or at least enough people the influence an election, to scrutinize character more closely when voting...
The problem is that the Trump supporters approve of his acts and his character. Right, Lucy & co? :(

Total dick post.
As Paul Harvey used to say; “now you know the rest of the story.” This was indeed a heartwarming story, one that showed Biden cared about people without cameras, consultants, and reporters present.

Then he used that story to raise campaign money! Save you indignation fellas. Biden used his heartwarming story for scummy politics.

As Paul Harvey used to say; “now you know the rest of the story.” This was indeed a heartwarming story, one that showed Biden cared about people without cameras, consultants, and reporters present.

Then he used that story to raise campaign money! Save you indignation fellas. Biden used his heartwarming story for scummy politics.
STOP THE PRESSES. Politicians mention the decent things they've done. I had no idea.

Thanks for reading.

Look: Joe has done a lot of these sort of things. Because Joe is a regular dude. He cares. About people.

Say what you want to say about him politically. I get it. I won't disagree. He has a long record and it can be scrutinized any which way you want to scrutinize it.

But as I said before, he's a regular dude who cares about people. He's not crazy. He has a long record of working within and with the Congress. He knows as well as anyone does what it takes to get stuff done when them.
No one knows more about what it takes to get things done in the Federal government than Joe Biden. We need someone with his expertise right now, after the last 4 years of the current POTUS working to intentionally burn down the house.

Someone needs to help us build things back up. Joe can do that. Will he? Well, we will have to see about that. But we know that the alternative to Joe won't do it. We know that for a fact. If we evaluate the whole of Joe's resume in service to the country, we have to conclude that Joe will do his best to serve the country. Yes, he will make mistakes. He'll say and do some bone-headed things that will be fodder for the 24/7 news outlets. That's ok. We expect that from our political leaders.

At least, he'll be someone holding the office that has the requisite experience to guide him as he addresses the issues he'll face in the daily course of performing his job, unlike the guy who sits there at the Resolute desk now and has no clue about what he's doing, or should be doing.

Last edited:
Yes we do, All 63 million of us:)
And that statement disqualifies all of you from having a voice going forward. Why? Because the person you're pledging allegiance to is a lying sack of shit who doesn't care about the welfare of the country at large - his only concern relates to his own personal interests.

And those of you who support him are nothing but unwitting dupes.

The only say you have left is your ability to vote this November, which I'm sure you and your cohorts will exercise. Beyond that, society doesn't care what you think or say any longer. You've had your moment in the Sun, and your point of view has been summarily rejected. You can shut up now.

Last edited:
Look: Joe has done a lot of these sort of things. Because Joe is a regular dude. He cares. About people.

Say what you want to say about him politically. I get it. I won't disagree. He has a long record and it can be scrutinized any which way you want to scrutinize it.

But as I said before, he's a regular dude who cares about people. He's not crazy. He has a long record of working within and with the Congress. He knows as well as anyone does what it takes to get stuff done when them.
No one knows more about what it takes to get things done in the Federal government than Joe Biden. We need someone with his expertise right now, after the last 4 years of the current POTUS working to intentionally burn down the house.

Someone needs to help us build things back up. Joe can do that. Will he? Well, we will have to see about that. But we know that the alternative to Joe won't do it. We know that for a fact. If we evaluate the whole of Joe's resume in service to the country, we have to conclude that Joe will do his best to serve the country. Yes, he will make mistakes. He'll say and do some bone-headed things that will be fodder for the 24/7 news outlets. That's ok. We expect that from our political leaders.

At least, he'll be someone holding the office that has the requisite experience to guide him as he addresses the issues he'll face in the daily course of performing his job, unlike the guy who sits there at the Resolute desk now and has no clue about what he's doing, or should be doing.
I like Joe too but I don’t call amassing a net worth of $10 mil “in service to the country.”

Also I wonder whether it’s better to have someone versed in the ins and outs of Washington or someone from the private sector that can ostensibly relate to “real life” outside of the Washington bubble. I prefer the latter. I would have rather had a mark cuban type. But I don’t know if I’m right.

I like Joe too but I don’t call amassing a net worth of $10 mil “in service to the country.”

Also I wonder whether it’s better to have someone versed in the ins and outs of Washington or someone from the private sector that can ostensibly relate to “real life” outside of the Washington bubble. I prefer the latter. I would have rather had a mark cuban type. But I don’t know if I’m right.
Well what other choices do you have? It's going to be either Trump or Biden. Take your stand.

I'm guessing trump has made even more than that in his 4 years in office. Funneling foreign dignitaries to his hotels, excessive charging secret service and his entourage every time he decides to golf at his resorts (which is quite often). Trump has figured out how to fully benefit monetarily from his office.

I would say Trump has made benefiting from his office an art form. That is how you use public office for personal gain.

STOP THE PRESSES. Politicians mention the decent things they've done. I had no idea.

No, they don’t. Decent human beings do decent things all the time including those few decent human beings who happen to be politicians; and also including the scummy politicians who might do a decent thing. They don’t use these gestures of decency in their campaigns or fund raising. Others might speak about such things as the Rabbi did here. So far so good. Then Biden sullied the Rabbi’s story. Disgusting. So much for decency.

FWIW, I’ve read stories about Trump’s decency too, all in the form of cash payments to somebody down on their luck whom Trump took an interest in. Trump has done and said a lot of scummy things as we all know. I haven’t heard him speak about this small gestures of goodwill.

I'm guessing trump has made even more than that in his 4 years in office. Funneling foreign dignitaries to his hotels, excessive charging secret service and his entourage every time he decides to golf at his resorts (which is quite often). Trump has figured out how to fully benefit monetarily from his office.

I would say Trump has made benefiting from his office an art form. That is how you use public office for personal gain.

That’s mostly wrong. First Trump takes no salary. Second, no matter where Trump goes there will be an entourage with him and staying where he stays. So what if Trump chooses places he owns? Finally, as we learned after the dust up in the UK, the rates paid are lower government rates.

Given the miserable state of the “free and independent” press these days, we will never see an investigation into Joe’s wealth. I’d love to know how Joe got so rich. He brags about having nothing to start life with. Now he is quite wealthy after a life of government work. His cancer charity, Ukraine, and China, are probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Given the miserable state of the “free and independent” press these days, we will never see an investigation into Joe’s wealth. I’d love to know how Joe got so rich. He brags about having nothing to start life with. Now he is quite wealthy after a life of government work. His cancer charity, Ukraine, and China, are probably only the tip of the iceberg.
it doesn't have to be nefarious. it's always book deals and speaking engagements. and that's fine. it is what it is as they say. i just don't like the idea that he's somehow been "in service" to america. it's hardly like a career at the epa stuck in a nondescript office making $80k a year.

Don’t forget his bother, he has gotten rich off his bother!

FWIW, I’ve read stories about Trump’s decency too, all in the form of cash payments to somebody down on their luck whom Trump took an interest in. Trump has done and said a lot of scummy things as we all know. I haven’t heard him speak about this small gestures of goodwill.
Are you fvcking kidding me? Trump has been screwing people over his entire life, going back to the '70s when he was sued by the DOJ for housing discrimination. He's weaponized litigation by suing contractors and subs, in literally hundreds of instances, in an effort to avoid paying them in full. His "charitable" foundation was shut down because it was benefiting Trump personally and, late last year, a judge in New York ordered Trump to pay $2 million in damages to various nonprofits to settle allegations that he and his family used the Trump foundation to further his political and business interests.

"Trump's decency?" That's absolutely laughable. He's a scumbag, and you're effing clueless.

it doesn't have to be nefarious. it's always book deals and speaking engagements. and that's fine. it is what it is as they say. i just don't like the idea that he's somehow been "in service" to america. it's hardly like a career at the epa.

No, it doesn’t have to be nefarious. The three things i mentioned are all likely legal. The problem is that we have legalized corruption in many different ways. Biden knows the system as well as anyone. I still think his pathway to wealth should be known.

Reactions: Tacoll
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT