ADVERTISEMENT

Gunn…

Gunn's first tech was for trash talking the HSE player that he was guarding . His second tech was for, after he dunked, took 3 steps towards the HSE player, talking and flexing.

The result: 2 technicals, ejection from the game, and suspended for the biggest game of the year (sectional). Gunn should fit right in with the current IU team culture.
That is a stupid comment at the end.

If you are right handed , your right foot should be be a little ahead of your left foot for proper balance . If you are left handed , then your left foot should be ahead . As you step into your shot your shoulders should be squared to the basket . That’s the way Dick Baumgartner taught it , so I’ll go with his version of teaching shooting .
You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
If Shiffino played in the same back court as XJ it wouldn't be the first time IU started 2 point guards. I see Shiffino playing both.
JHS is a combo guard. He will play the 2 if we have 2 point guards. Same with most of our guards coming in. Woody seems to want utility guys.

Tell me about him.
What are his strengths & weaknesses on the court?
What about his intangibles:
Is he coachable?
Is he a good teammate?
Is he driven to improve?
Does he love the game?
Does he love to win?
Does he have any dog in hi
He has a nice name - "Gunn was firing on all cylinders!" "IU's Gunn goes off with a bang in beating the Badgers. Gunn fired nothing but blanks in IU's loss". "Gunn was smoking tonight!" "Gunn shoots down Purdue in big win!" "Gunn to Geronimo for the assist." Inside sources say Don Fischer has delayed his retirement announcement so he can have some fun with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Brockway
Eric Gordon came to my mind. Does this sound reasonable? Jay Edwards was another one not needing to showboat.

pre Terrell Owens, pretty much no one needed too.

now they all are beyond obsessed with it.

TO's legacy to sports, and not a good one.

only time i've seen Gunn play was in the state finals last yr on tv.

while i have no idea his consistency or motor or drive, he has some serious ability.

and i'm still waiting for Leal to take the bull by the horns and take on a type A personality, and become the player he has the ability to be.

it's like he's hesitant to find out just what he can do for fear of making a mistake or turnover or getting blocked, instead of pushing the envelope to find his real potential.

and when someone does block you, just learn from it, and attack again the next time.

only by pushing and being willing to fail sometimes, do you gain better ball control and better court sense.

once he finds "it", i think he could see a big jump in what he's able to do.

nothing carries more pressure than catch and shoot, when you haven't handled the ball much that game.

that said, on a different note, while i never competed at a high level, i literally became a different and far superior player once i got my 2nd wind.

it was like i became a different player once i hit that critical mass point, both stamina wise, and ball control/shooting wise.

at that point there was no "tired", and the ball felt different in my hands, rather than like a beach ball as often it did up to that point.

every joint in my hands and body seemed to become more limber, with more feel.

anybody else that way?

i wonder how many players never get a chance to achieve 2nd wind in a game, and make that jump to light speed.

So what was your average as high man? I took bowling in Phys Ed at IU, back when Phys Ed was required. It took a 150 average for an "A: at the end of 8 weeks. I had a 149 going into the last day. Nailed it with a 163 on the final round. (insert Queen song, Under Pressure). There was no trophy, only personal satisfaction in being able to still brag about it 50+ years later to you.
When I quit the league because it conflicted with school functions I had a 170 average. I am with you concerning personal satisfaction. I had resigned from a pastorate around Indy years ago and my last act as pastor was to take the teen group bowling. I had forgotten to bring my bowling ball with it's finger control grip so I was not bowling very well. None of the kids took it seriously but I was keeping score. I got to the 10th frame and I needed a spare and six pins to beat the leader. I got my one and only strike and then hit 8 pins on the next ball. I didn't start to jump up and down but in my heart I did. lol

how did you do when they took down, the bumpers?
lol No bumpers. In fact I never used those. When I started bowling at eight or nine yrs old they didn't have those. When I went to the bowling alley to sign up for the league, the Indian man who used to be on those commercials where he cried because of all the trash was there. I was introduced to bowling and I remember the ball I used was too heavy so I had to hold it without my fingers being in the holes and I would thrust it. The very first ball I threw in my life I knocked down seven pins. And miraculously I picked up the spare.

only time i've seen Gunn play was in the state finals last yr on tv.

while i have no idea his consistency or motor or drive, he has some serious ability.

and i'm still waiting for Leal to take the bull by the horns and take on a type A personality, and become the player he has the ability to be.

it's like he's hesitant to find out just what he can do for fear of making a mistake or turnover or getting blocked, instead of pushing the envelope to find his real potential.

and when someone does block you, just learn from it, and attack again the next time.

only by pushing and being willing to fail sometimes, do you gain better ball control and better court sense.

once he finds "it", i think he could see a big jump in what he's able to do.

nothing carries more pressure than catch and shoot, when you haven't handled the ball much that game.

that said, on a different note, while i never competed at a high level, i literally became a different and far superior player once i got my 2nd wind.

it was like i became a different player once i hit that critical mass point, both stamina wise, and ball control/shooting wise.

at that point there was no "tired", and the ball felt different in my hands, rather than like a beach ball as often it did up to that point.

every joint in my hands and body seemed to become more limber, with more feel.

anybody else that way?

i wonder how many players never get a chance to achieve 2nd wind in a game, and make that jump to light speed.
Good points here, so thank you. It's called being in "the zone", as you know. Once a player has that sometimes elusive "break out game" the game slows down and comes to him, in lightbulb switching "on" analogy.

That said, from a personal standpoint I never achieved that status. I suffer from stage fright, whether it is a clarinet in my hands for the sixth grade school play or a basketball under the bright lights of a ninth grade basketball game. My junior high coach said I had the best shot on the team in practice, but get me in a real game and it was a different story. I had genetically gifted "thunder thighs" that made me quick and a good defender but on offense I couldn't hit a lick to speak of as the self consciousness of the crowd affected the mechanics of my stroke. Sometimes I wonder if the "Peter Principle" in business applies to ball players, too, in this capacity. I think it does. Some players are better at keeping the head demons at bay better than others, the seeds of self-doubt that can creep into the psyche just when going from one level of competition to another. Hopefully, through time and understanding, particular IU players like Bates, Leal, Lander, Geronimo, Durr and Duncomb get "it". Only then will the victories begin to flow in greater regularity, the basketball we used to know.

When I quit the league because it conflicted with school functions I had a 170 average. I am with you concerning personal satisfaction. I had resigned from a pastorate around Indy years ago and my last act as pastor was to take the teen group bowling. I had forgotten to bring my bowling ball with it's finger control grip so I was not bowling very well. None of the kids took it seriously but I was keeping score. I got to the 10th frame and I needed a spare and six pins to beat the leader. I got my one and only strike and then hit 8 pins on the next ball. I didn't start to jump up and down but in my heart I did. lol
Nice story, pastor. I have one more story and then I'll leave you alone. As you know, I was just a 150 kind of guy. One Sunday on our way home from church (ironically), my folks took me to the Meadows Bowl in Indy. My folks usually bowled, too, but for some reason they didn't this time. I think my brother was already at IU or something because he wasn't there. Due to me being able to bowl three games with very little time to think about it in between, I was able to find my groove. I bowled a 223, 217 and 186 for a "600" series, the three best scores of my life. It was an aberration, a fluke. Today, my joints are so stiff with trouble bending over I don't know if I could break 120. My bowling days, along with many other days, are now over due to the ravages of time.

It's "Game Day", a good day and the sun is shining brightly, a sign of better things to come. I feel it in my bones. I think we're going to win. Pray for us pastor man, Van.

That is a stupid comment at the end.
? why stupid? Just like Gunn for the Sectional game, IU had FIVE players suspended for what many said was the biggest, must win game of the year. It must be Tough to take as a teammate that wants to win, and follows the rules of the team and the game.

Last edited:
Some players are better at keeping the head demons at bay better than others, the seeds of self-doubt that can creep into the psyche just when going from one level of competition to another.
Everyone hears that inner voice of doubt when the pressure is on. The people who can excel in those situations have the ability to not listen to it, and eventually it goes away (or at least quiets down).

Reactions: abraxis
Awesome,another ‘flexer’ and trash talker,you can never have enough of them🙄Will Sheehey wouid approve

JHS is a combo guard. He will play the 2 if we have 2 point guards. Same with most of our guards coming in. Woody seems to want utility guys.
Maybe, some of the tape from the summer tells me he has pure point skills. If paired with X, he would play 2… because X can’t play two.

? why stupid? Just like Gunn for the Sectional game, IU had FIVE players suspended for what many said was the biggest, must win game of the year. It must be Tough to take as a teammate that wants to win, and follows the rules of the team and the game.
But you used the term “culture” which is indeed silly to say. The kids made a dumb mistake to sneak out and they paid a heavy price. That builds culture.

Reactions: ericrossiu
But you used the term “culture” which is indeed silly to say. The kids made a dumb mistake to sneak out and they paid a heavy price. That builds culture.
I guess I was in a snarky mood when I wrote culture, as I was pi$$ed off at those 5 players for screwing over the coaching staff, teammates and IU Nation. Gunn did join the "suspended for the biggest game of the year" club. I hope that he has apologized to his family, coach and teammates. For most of these players that are seniors, this could be their last game. i do think LN will beat Attucks. I hope so.

I guess I was in a snarky mood when I wrote culture, as I was pi$$ed off at those 5 players for screwing over the coaching staff, teammates and IU Nation. Gunn did join the "suspended for the biggest game of the year" club. I hope that he has apologized to his family, coach and teammates. For most of these players that are seniors, this could be their last game. i do think LN will beat Attucks. I hope so.
I saw screen shots of his twatter posts on another site and those seemed pretty humble. I don't know him but I hope he learned a lesson. I suspect/hope Woody sent him a note about learning and growing.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I saw screen shots of his twatter posts on another site and those seemed pretty humble. I don't know him but I hope he learned a lesson. I suspect/hope Woody sent him a note about learning and growing.
I also believed that Gunn still had a shot at Mr Basketball. That ship has sailed...

You guys act like he’s known to do this. He was playing in a sectional rival game. Probably a lot of trash talking going on. He’s obviously a good kid caught up in the moment. I’m sure he’s learned his lesson. I’m sure all of you perfect individuals didn’t do anything wrong at 17-18 years old. 🤦🏻

Everyone hears that inner voice of doubt when the pressure is on. The people who can excel in those situations have the ability to not listen to it, and eventually it goes away (or at least quiets down).
Yes, the voices of the self-conscious, magnified in volume by the leering eyes of the judgmental. This is why performers in social settings need to stay away from social media. Twitter should be banned during the season or an athlete could become so engrossed in feedback it becomes a distraction to Ego, the ogre inside. Some can handle him while others can't. I could't.

Awesome,another ‘flexer’ and trash talker,you can never have enough of them🙄Will Sheehey wouid approve
Will was one who won, one of the best. He was tough. His muscle flex during the closing minutes of the Purdue game will be forever etched in my memory. I was there in Mackey that day, sitting with a bunch of my Purdue friends. One of them, the most serious one, got up to leave the arena with 8 min. still left and he had to step in front of me to get to the exit aisle. I was kind and only snickered. It was a good feeling watching them all suffer in silence, red faced (of all colors!) in anger.

Here, Lucy. I couldn't find a smaller icon to represent your level.

ebwsexdkfr6bgzffgzlv.jpg

Will was one who won, one of the best. He was tough. His muscle flex during the closing minutes of the Purdue game will be forever etched in my memory. I was there in Mackey that day, sitting with a bunch of my Purdue friends. One of them, the most serious one, got up to leave the arena with 8 min. still left and he had to step in front of me to get to the exit aisle. I was kind and only snickered. It was a good feeling watching them all suffer in silence, red faced (of all colors!) in anger.
I was there as well along with probably the second most Hoosiers I have seen in that dump. The IU..IU,,,IU chants were loud as hell. Will's flex was a sight for sure, but not taunting as he was facing his teammates when he did it. Good kid and smart.

• Wow
Reactions: Spot on post
Does that mean you support the benchmob theatrics after someone hits a jump shot (which shouldn't be any big deal since they're supposed to be able to do that anyway).

In IU's last couple games, I saw an opponent's bencher praise his teammate by squatting down with one knee on the floor pointing his finger like a pistol at his own teammate and, after an IU three-pointer, I saw IU's backup-backup-backup center act like he was wiping snot from his nose and flicking it onto the court.

Some benchmobs have even choreographed elaborate silly presentations like five guys acting like they're paddling a canoe, for example. I wish it would go away..
Whatever happened to good old three white guys at the end of the bench shooting arrows into the air?

• Wow
Reactions: Spot on post
Nice story, pastor. I have one more story and then I'll leave you alone. As you know, I was just a 150 kind of guy. One Sunday on our way home from church (ironically), my folks took me to the Meadows Bowl in Indy. My folks usually bowled, too, but for some reason they didn't this time. I think my brother was already at IU or something because he wasn't there. Due to me being able to bowl three games with very little time to think about it in between, I was able to find my groove. I bowled a 223, 217 and 186 for a "600" series, the three best scores of my life. It was an aberration, a fluke. Today, my joints are so stiff with trouble bending over I don't know if I could break 120. My bowling days, along with many other days, are now over due to the ravages of time.

It's "Game Day", a good day and the sun is shining brightly, a sign of better things to come. I feel it in my bones. I think we're going to win. Pray for us pastor man, Van.
It's all good my friend. Great deal. Very few get a 600 series. I hope you are right. The Hoosiers need a victory tonight.

If we beat Rutgers , and win at least 1 game in the Big tourney we have 20 wins and we make the NCAA . If we beat Purdue in Mackey , which I wouldn’t bet on we are also in . If this team plays like they did the first 32 minutes tonite they can play with anyone . We just have to avoid those last 8 minutes like tonite .

If this team plays like they did the first 32 minutes tonite they can play with anyone . We just have to avoid those last 8 minutes like tonite .
When a team gets hot like Minny did those last 8 minutes, it can't be avoided. I listened to Woodson's post game interview and he didn't seem overly concerned about any meltdown on IU's part. Granted, IU didn't help itself with some untimely missed free throws and errors, but sometimes the other team just does what all teams are capable of doing in this league, stroking the three ball to near perfection. It happens. Fortunately, our play was dominate enough in the earlier going to withstand the onslaught, one of the ebbs and flows of life that comes with the changing tides. Now, I'm sure if we had lost, everyone, including Hummel, would be blaming it on our coach not calling a timeout to stem the tide (continuing with my ocean analogy). IU didn't. Let's get ready for Rutgers, leaving the "what if's" for the revolving Moon to worry about.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Need more junkyard dogs.
Need more scorers and shooters and leaders that keep idiots from wandering around Evanston/Chicago after curfew. I hope you're right on Tamar, but he hasn't looked like much of a player this year - mediocre defender, poor shooter, not able to deliver when needed. Physically not equipped to play at the collegiate level yet (like Lander). He got what, five minutes, against Rutgers? Not a sign of a player that is not his way to the NBA soon.

More of a point, handler and distributor. Not much of a combo if he can't shoot, JHS hasn't lit it up shooting this season.

Gunn just dropped 38 points on Warren Central to advance. WCHS is no slouch program.
Help is on the way?
Sure why not. Every iu recruit is a help is on the way guy until they get here. Might well add him to the list. And remember he was an archie recruit so old arch might deserve some praise if gunn is insant impact and lights out from three

Gunn just dropped 38 points on Warren Central to advance. WCHS is no slouch program.
Help is on the way?
Bass on Tech hit 3 straight 3's to start the game against Cathedral. He was an Illini commit. Nice looking player. 6'5 and fast.

Booker hasn't scored a point. Anybody know where he is leaning for college?

Bass on Tech hit 3 straight 3's to start the game against Cathedral. He was an Illini commit. Nice looking player. 6'5 and fast.

Booker hasn't scored a point. Anybody know where he is leaning for college?

Cathedral on a roll right now. Booker getting active. They’re tough to stop when they get going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT