ADVERTISEMENT

Govt Shutdown

If it's a "bad" deal from their perspective....I think they punt it to after midterms. And dare Trump to actually start deporting

Dare him to? Whose support would he be risking the loss of? All those millions of pro-illegal immigration Trump voters?

Trump's in a no-lose situation here -- which is why he's likely to get a whole lot out of this. If the Dems trade away the legal status of those already here for the easier prospect of those not here to someday come here, they would get crucified.

Why do you think there was so much pressure for them to tie up the budget? It was the only place they had any leverage.

Time will tell, I guess. But I'd be stunned if there wasn't a DACA deal.

People are going to have to notice they got a tax cut. That doesn't always happen.
I'm salaried, so I noticed mine. $6.00. Whoppee. Anyone punching a clock would likely think it was just part of the inherent variations they see in their take-home pay.

Regardless, I'm not selling my vote/soul for $300 a year.

I'm salaried, so I noticed mine. $6.00. Whoppee. Anyone punching a clock would likely think it was just part of the inherent variations they see in their take-home pay.

Regardless, I'm not selling my vote/soul for $300 a year.

Are you sure your employer already updated the tax tables? They're pretty fresh.

Here's what USA TODAY says people should see:

A recent sample calculation by USA Today showed that a single person with a $50,000 salary could expect to bring home an extra $96 every two weeks, or about $2,500 more take-home pay per year.

I thought this was as good of a place to put this as any, it is officially impossible to reason with Republicans. It turns out they love Papa John's Pizza. I cannot fathom what would lead a person to eat that, let alone prefer it.

Are you sure your employer already updated the tax tables? They're pretty fresh.
I was surprised, and checked with ownership. Yes, my paycheck last week had the new tax tables applied.
A recent sample calculation by USA Today showed that a single person with a $50,000 salary could expect to bring home an extra $96 every two weeks, or about $2,500 more take-home pay per year.
I'm married and make much less than that.

I'm bummed. I was so looking forward to that new car (or maybe the kitchen remodel, not sure which) that Mnuchin promised.

I thought this was as good of a place to put this as any, it is officially impossible to reason with Republicans. It turns out they love Papa John's Pizza. I cannot fathom what would lead a person to eat that, let alone prefer it.
Less than 10 years ago there wouldn’t have been a gap on Papa John’s pizza. The quality and flavor is the same for all, regardless of party. It’s all about politics on both sides, and Democrats decided the pizza sucked when John “Papa John” Schnatter, who I went to high school with, said some true things about how raising the national minimum wage would add to the cost of a pizza. Many Democrats instantly decided his pizza was awful, regardless of what they thought about it previously. Republicans decided they liked it a little more at the same time because if the Democrats dislike something, some Republicans are going to like it more. :) The NFL comments made more Democrats decide it was awful and those that already claimed it was awful now claim it’s inedible! LOL! I know what the original Papa John’s pizza tasted like and what it is now, and I wholeheartedly concur it’s not close to as tasty now. I don’t know what they do differently other than fewer toppings and fresh rather than canned mushrooms (which is one change I liked), but it’s definitely not as good. However, it’s not awful.

I have a couple great stories about how he got started, but it’s not for telling here. I will tell it, and have told it, to friends over a beer.

Reactions: MrBing
Less than 10 years ago there wouldn’t have been a gap on Papa John’s pizza. The quality and flavor is the same for all, regardless of party. It’s all about politics on both sides, and Democrats decided the pizza sucked when John “Papa John” Schnatter, who I went to high school with, said some true things about how raising the national minimum wage would add to the cost of a pizza. Many Democrats instantly decided his pizza was awful, regardless of what they thought about it previously. Republicans decided they liked it a little more at the same time because if the Democrats dislike something, some Republicans are going to like it more. :) The NFL comments made more Democrats decide it was awful and those that already claimed it was awful now claim it’s inedible! LOL! I know what the original Papa John’s pizza tasted like and what it is now, and I wholeheartedly concur it’s not close to as tasty now. I don’t know what they do differently other than fewer toppings and fresh rather than canned mushrooms (which is one change I liked), but it’s definitely not as good. However, it’s not awful.

I have a couple great stories about how he got started, but it’s not for telling here. I will tell it, and have told it, to friends over a beer.

I have not liked it for a long time, didn't know of his comments on minimum wage. I would much rather have a Chicago style pizza. Or what is now being called Detroit but we always called Sicilian. If I am getting a flat pizza, in Bloomington it is Avers. Or Pizzeria because the Pizzeria crust is so different for a round flat.

Heck, Papa Murphy has a better flat round than John, Dominos, Hut, or X. Those last 4 are the bottom of the barrel (except X has the best breadsticks).

I have not liked it for a long time, didn't know of his comments on minimum wage. I would much rather have a Chicago style pizza. Or what is now being called Detroit but we always called Sicilian. If I am getting a flat pizza, in Bloomington it is Avers. Or Pizzeria because the Pizzeria crust is so different for a round flat.

Heck, Papa Murphy has a better flat round than John, Dominos, Hut, or X. Those last 4 are the bottom of the barrel (except X has the best breadsticks).
Another pizza that was once good, but isn’t now, is Godfathers. It’s like all the chain pizza restaurants forgot how to make deep dish pizzas. They all seem to think it means thicker crust. It’s ridiculous.

Another pizza that was once good, but isn’t now, is Godfathers. It’s like all the chain pizza restaurants forgot how to make deep dish pizzas. They all seem to think it means thicker crust. It’s ridiculous.

I used to love Godfathers. My wedding rehearsal dinner was at Godfathers. Sad to hear they went downhill. We have not had one in the area for a long time.

I keep meaning to drive to Champaign and eat at Garcia's Pizza. When one was in Bloomington, I was a frequent visitor.

I used to love Godfathers. My wedding rehearsal dinner was at Godfathers. Sad to hear they went downhill. We have not had one in the area for a long time.

I keep meaning to drive to Champaign and eat at Garcia's Pizza. When one was in Bloomington, I was a frequent visitor.
I remember Garcia’s when I attended IU. Pizza by the slice. Liked it, but couldn’t afford eating at a restaurant often when at IU.

The political blowback for Republicans -- even if those who are charged up about DACA give more of the blame to them -- would be muted. But the blowback for Dems would be significant.
We can have value neutral discussions about the strategic advantages and disadvantages for each side. But this is like having a theoretical discussion of Sophie's choice. Is it "advantageous" for the Nazi doctor at Auschwitz to force Sophie to choose between her son and daughter? Given Sophie must choose, what choice is best? I suppose that, as an exercise in applied game-theory, it was advantageous to the Doctor to give Sophie this choice and it was advantageous to Sophie to choose to save her son rather then her daughter. But to engage with the story at this level reflects what Hannah Arendt called the "banality of evil". It is an "evil" choice that the Doctor forces on Sophie. That encounter with evil destroys Sophie. It would be glib to say that we should learn not to be destroyed by encounters with evil. I expect that one avoids being destroyed by evil only by grace. Game theory doesn't do much for us in this context.

To make myself clear, I am saying the important thing in the current situation is that the Republicans choose to confront Democrats with a horrific choice. They do so with the kind of banal indifference and lack of awareness that Arendt says is truly remarkable about those who commit evil. To quote another great American author "so it goes".

Never had Pappa Jones. My favorite brand used to be Kentucky Fried Pizza.:D
But then, I have not had pizza for quite a while.

Reactions: RBB89
We can have value neutral discussions about the strategic advantages and disadvantages for each side. But this is like having a theoretical discussion of Sophie's choice. Is it "advantageous" for the Nazi doctor at Auschwitz to force Sophie to choose between her son and daughter? Given Sophie must choose, what choice is best? I suppose that, as an exercise in applied game-theory, it was advantageous to the Doctor to give Sophie this choice and it was advantageous to Sophie to choose to save her son rather then her daughter. But to engage with the story at this level reflects what Hannah Arendt called the "banality of evil". It is an "evil" choice that the Doctor forces on Sophie. That encounter with evil destroys Sophie. It would be glib to say that we should learn not to be destroyed by encounters with evil. I expect that one avoids being destroyed by evil only by grace. Game theory doesn't do much for us in this context.

To make myself clear, I am saying the important thing in the current situation is that the Republicans choose to confront Democrats with a horrific choice. They do so with the kind of banal indifference and lack of awareness that Arendt says is truly remarkable about those who commit evil. To quote another great American author "so it goes".
What’s this evil choice you speak of? Is it evil of Republicans to include some border security funding in a bill to fix DACA? Is negotiating evil?

What’s this evil choice you speak of? Is it evil of Republicans to include some border security funding in a bill to fix DACA? Is negotiating evil?
I think the Republicans are holding the dreamers hostage. I think that hostage taking is evil. Negotiating is not evil per se. But what about negotiating with evil? If we, as the saying goes, "give the devil his due" do we participate in evil? I propose to pursue these ideas in a separate thread.

Democrats are committing some sort of deal with the Devil as well, not creating more secure borders -- they're forcing Republicans into a position where more Dreamers will arrive, making Republicans appear evil all over again. Meanwhile, porous borders will eventually lead to bad actors entering the country and committing the evil Republicans are trying to preempt.

I think the Republicans are holding the dreamers hostage. I think that hostage taking is evil. Negotiating is not evil per se. But what about negotiating with evil? If we, as the saying goes, "give the devil his due" do we participate in evil? I propose to pursue these ideas in a separate thread.

Hostage?

Don't forget that they are here unlawfully. We may or may not decide to confer legal status to them. But that's up to our policymakers and it certainly is not something to which they're entitled.

Hostage?

Don't forget that they are here unlawfully. We may or may not decide to confer legal status to them. But that's up to our policymakers and it certainly is not something to which they're entitled.
Clearly, as a legal matter, it seems to be the case that the dreamers are not legally entitled to be here. It is up to policy makers to decide the law. Of course policy makers might decide to write laws and engage in practices designed for the sole purpose of harming you. Judges might decide those laws and practices are legal and allow their enforcement. Policy makers and judges have conspired just so in the past to actively and unjustly harm the interests of citizens and immigrants alike. I wonder if you would say that you are not entitled to any more protection than policy makers and judges are willing to give you? Whatever the current vagaries of policy makers and judges say you ARE entitled to I would say you OUGHT to be entitled to better treatment.

My view about the dreamers is similar. Whether they ARE entitled to citizenship they OUGHT to be as entitled as you or I. They have committed no crime since it was not their choice to come, they are valuable members of our communities, they have never lived anywhere else etc. That the law in this case permits policy makers to do a grave injustice and inflict harm on totally innocent people without providing any benefit to anyone else is unfortunate. The law should be fixed. That some policy makers would actively consider doing that injustice is appalling--but not out of historical character.

Democrats are committing some sort of deal with the Devil as well, not creating more secure borders -- they're forcing Republicans into a position where more Dreamers will arrive, making Republicans appear evil all over again. Meanwhile, porous borders will eventually lead to bad actors entering the country and committing the evil Republicans are trying to preempt.
This is fantasy. Republicans are not actually interested in whether the immigrants coming here will include bad actors or not. Republican concern is principally about maintaining an ethnic balance that they think will be favorable to them in the future.

Never had Pappa Jones. My favorite brand used to be Kentucky Fried Pizza.:D
But then, I have not had pizza for quite a while.
I never had Pappa Jones either. Bet there are a lot of people joining us on that one! ;)

This is fantasy. Republicans are not actually interested in whether the immigrants coming here will include bad actors or not. Republican concern is principally about maintaining an ethnic balance that they think will be favorable to them in the future.
Asserting that the other side only has bad intentions is why we have such a divided country and such a dysfunctional Congress.

Asserting that the other side only has bad intentions is why we have such a divided country and such a dysfunctional Congress.
Well, I didn't say or assert that the GOP only has bad intentions. I assert that some of their intentions are appallingly bad. I would say that the divided country and dysfunctional Congress are themselves the result of political actors with appallingly bad intentions...mostly very wealthy donors but also corporate interests...who believe they profit by those divisions and dysfunctions. They, in turn, promote appalling bad intentions within the electorate that help achieve the divisions and dysfunction they seek.

Funny. Yet, when you explained the Papa John's thing, you sure made it look like only the Dems were the unreasonable ones.
If I did, it was unintentional. I made a point to say that Republicans liked Papa John's more because the Democrats disliked it, despite the fact that it tastes the same for people of both parties or no parties. I bet polling would show that Republicans liked Starbucks less than Democrats for the same reasons. I thought I was pretty darn even handed. How was I not?

That also wasn't about bad intentions.

Last edited:
If I did, it was unintentional. I made a point to say that Republicans liked Papa John's more because the Democrats disliked it, despite the fact that it tastes the same for people of both parties or no parties. I bet polling would show that Republicans liked Starbucks less than Democrats for the same reasons. I thought I was pretty darn even handed. How was I not?

No, it wasn't about bad intentions. It wasn't even important. But I recalled it when you chastised att. The way you described them were not equal. The Dems sounded far nuttier in your post.

http://www.9news.com/article/news/n...ands/465-3d69066a-0cdb-48a4-9786-c9ccd7d6ed6e
And here is your evidence. I think Aloha's comment was pretty well-grounded empirically.

I don't often pull crap out of my arse. ;)
Well, for the record, let's just politely say that you didn't provide support for your explanation of why Repubs like Papa Johns more. All I did was to help you a bit by saying there is, in fact, a phenomena we might try to explain. ;)

Once again, not my intent.

Trust what Aloha says. He is one of the very few Pubs on this board who is trying to be balanced and fair.

Speaking of pizza, it reminded of a company I worked for many moons ago. On the first day, I tried to be nice to my people and decided to take them out to lunch. I asked them where they wanted to go. The answer was unanimous: "Chinese Pizza House!" So, I took them there, which turned out to be a Chinese pancake house. I said, "this is an old-fashioned Chinese pancake!" They said,
"Yes, Marco Polo loved it and brought the recipe back to Italy, and they Italianized it; that was the birth of pizza!"

So I was told.;)

Well, for the record, let's just politely say that you didn't provide support for your explanation of why Repubs like Papa Johns more. All I did was to help you a bit by saying there is, in fact, a phenomena we might try to explain. ;)
I think I did.

I think I did.
you proposed that Repubs like Papa Johns because Dems don't like the brand..can you find solid empirical support for that claim? I am not saying you pulled it out of your...but the alternative theory that Pubs like Papa Johns more than Dems because of how they feel about the causes the founder supports seems plausible. If your theory were correct then, for example, learning that Dems hate Dr. Nasser the guy who abused the gymnast kids would make Republicans more inclined to LIKE Nasser. Do you really think Pubs are that mindless?

you proposed that Repubs like Papa Johns because Dems don't like the brand..can you find solid empirical support for that claim? I am not saying you pulled it out of your...but the alternative theory that Pubs like Papa Johns more than Dems because of how they feel about the causes the founder supports seems plausible. If your theory were correct then, for example, learning that Dems hate Dr. Nasser the guy who abused the gymnast kids would make Republicans more inclined to LIKE Nasser. Do you really think Pubs are that mindless?
Of course not, those are totally different dynamics. Democrats dislike Papa John’s for political reasons. Disliking sexual predators is a bipartisan thing. Don’t give me Roy Moore as a counter example, I know he got Republican votes and it isn’t relevant to Nassar.

Of course not, those are totally different dynamics. Democrats dislike Papa John’s for political reasons. Disliking sexual predators is a bipartisan thing. Don’t give me Roy Moore as a counter example, I know he got Republican votes and it isn’t relevant to Nassar.
Really, I shouldn't have jumped down your throat because of a little crowing about not pulling stuff out of your arse. My point is that while actions are often clear motives are harder to discern. ;)

Now here is where you reflexively disagree with me! :)

Really, I shouldn't have jumped down your throat because of a little crowing about not pulling stuff out of your arse. My point is that while actions are often clear motives are harder to discern. ;)

Now here is where you reflexively disagree with me! :)
I don’t disagree.

Well, that's not what it means, and it's also not how it currently works. If that's how you actually think immigration works, no wonder we can't come to an agreement about it.

Not that simply but say I immigrate to the U.S. I bring my wife and children. Brothers and sisters of adult citizens are allowed to come as well as parents I believe. So my wife becomes citizen and her sister comes along with her spouse and children. Then my brother and sister come with their spouses and children. Then their spouses siblings come and so on and so forth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT