ADVERTISEMENT

How are we not doomed? Because we can default and no one can force us to pay?

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023

Increasing by $1 trillion every 100 days.

Dr Dre Meme GIF by :::Crypto Memes:::

Trickle Down doesn’t work- go look
at federal debt as a percent of the GDP. When Reagan tax cut went into affect the exponential increase in debt occurred. Now every Republican president since as immediately used same failed economic plan. I decry the lack of fiscal conservatism from my old GOP which seems to be dead in any case.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
at federal debt as a percent of the GDP. When Reagan tax cut went into affect the exponential increase in debt occurred. Now every Republican president since as immediately used same failed economic plan. I decry the lack of fiscal conservatism from my old GOP which seems to be dead in any case.
We all know we spend too many dollars. Please tell us what departments and/or programs you would cut.

Reactions: DANC
We all know we spend too many dollars. Please tell us what departments and/or programs you would cut.
Allow me to do some research and see which departments are the largest costs. Off the top of my head- I’m age 58, I’ll be completely pissed if they cut my social security while congress gets a better simpler healthcare system than Obamacare. Term limits and a balanced budget amendment could fix things immediately in my opinion.

Social security and military are the largest sucks now. Interestingly they list Healthcare and Medicare as two separate costs. But I do not support cutting military or social security now. I think the Gramm-Rudman bill in 1985 sure seemed like it would be a great start. Basically, give us better revenue by having a flat tax rate so we all have skin in the game, legalize weed nationally so you can pull an excise tax. And then study all federal departments for pork and wasteful spending. It’s a corrupt system. All congress get to be multimillionaires very quickly. They ok the wasteful spending and the printed dollars go to congress’ benefactors. Term limits would maybe help end that corruption as folks in congress could actually make laws to benefit the nation. The impact of dark money and the end of the Fairness Doctrine so deleterious it is not funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Social security and military are the largest sucks now. Interestingly they list Healthcare and Medicare as two separate costs. But I do not support cutting military or social security now. I think the Gramm-Rudman bill in 1985 sure seemed like it would be a great start. Basically, give us better revenue by having a flat tax rate so we all have skin in the game, legalize weed nationally so you can pull an excise tax. And then study all federal departments for pork and wasteful spending. It’s a corrupt system. All congress get to be multimillionaires very quickly. They ok the wasteful spending and the printed dollars go to congress’ benefactors. Term limits would maybe help end that corruption as folks in congress could actually make laws to benefit the nation. The impact of dark money and the end of the Fairness Doctrine so deleterious it is not funny.

This kind of answer is part of the problem. Politicians have been saying for decades they could cut spending by finding inefficiencies, corruption and rooting it out instead of touching our sacred cows. It doesn’t work— those things are baked into the system.
Need cuts to both SS and the military.

If the US is so important to world order, what’s going to happen if we metaphorically go BK? Revolution? Civil war?

Reactions: Indyhorn

If the US is so important to world order, what’s going to happen if we metaphorically go BK? Revolution? Civil war?
Cut military. Cut/revise welfare programs. Amend the tax code. SS doesn’t need to be cut you can raise rev for it re caps etc

Reactions: Indyhorn
We will find out if Modern Monetary Theory works or if we go the way of the Weimar Republic soon enough.

We can outlast this only so long as the dollar is a reserve currency.

Reagan’s policies led to nearly 45 years of exceptional prosperity only briefly interrupted by short recessions.

• Haha
Reactions: ButHerEmails
Yep and it's why Republicans have struggled to win federal offices in my opinion. Democrats figured out they can run massive deficits and buy votes. It's a winning strategy in the short term, but f#cks the country over in the long term.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”

Milei and PDJT are on good terms.

Department of Education defunded over 24 months,
Homeland Security broken into constituents.
CDC defunded.
DOD audited.
DOJ,
FBI,
C_A,
DoS, purged of criminal element.

End all Federal fund support for so-called 'institutions of higher learning.'

For starters...

Last edited:
Milei and PDJT are on good terms.

Department of Education defunded over 24 months,
Homeland Security broken into constituents.
CDC defunded.
DOD audited.
DOJ,
FBI,
C_A,
DoS, purged of criminal element.

End all Federal fund support for so-called 'institutions of higher learning.

For starters...
Won’t quibble with that but look where the BIG bucks are going - the whole transfer payments section.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Defense spending is at record lows as % of GDP. Everything is getting crowded out by interest expenses and SS /Medicare.

I think payroll taxes are going to need to be increased if we're not going to cut retiree benefits.

Won’t quibble with that but look where the BIG bucks are going - the whole transfer payments section.
I like to think the consumer and other private/small business can benefit from enhanced transparency and oversight and just stop the theft from our pockets.
The average board NPC would be shocked at the money paid by their taxes to organizations such as HIAS.

Yep and it's why Republicans have struggled to win federal offices in my opinion. Democrats figured out they can run massive deficits and buy votes. It's a winning strategy in the short term, but f#cks the country over in the long term.
This is not a single party problem as both parties have contributed to this mess. if you check the facts, you will find the highest % of the debt occurred under a republican president. The national debt limit increased 78 times since 1960, 49 times by a republican president and 29 by a democratic president.

I think tax cuts to the rich under trump fu** the country up.

This is not a single party problem as both parties have contributed to this mess. if you check the facts, you will find the highest % of the debt occurred under a republican president. The national debt limit increased 78 times since 1960, 49 times by a republican president and 29 by a democratic president.
Both sides of the aisle are printing coin like drunken sailors in Bangkok- it’s so corrupt and so non partisan both sides want Republicans and Democrats fighting each other rather than turn an eye to the members of congress making 2 million with one term and a Rifle CO HS diplomas and some odd buy in from Ted Cruz a senator from Texas- in example. WTF are we doing folks, honestly.

Blaming people doesn’t really help now, does it? The question is: who is going to fix it (answer: no one) and what happens then?

"When the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living, that will herald the end of the republic."

fify
True enough. There was definitely some merit to the idea that the privledge of voting needed to be earned by well….. merit.

Reactions: jet812
Allow me to do some research and see which departments are the largest costs. Off the top of my head- I’m age 58, I’ll be completely pissed if they cut my social security while congress gets a better simpler healthcare system than Obamacare. Term limits and a balanced budget amendment could fix things immediately in my opinion.

Social Security (22%), National Defense (14%), Health (14%) , Net Interest (13%), Medicare (12%), and Income Security (9%) account for 84% of the budget. Add in Veterans benefits and you are at 88%.

Something has to happen with Social Security, Health, and National Defense. Those 3 things are half the budget.

I think a balanced budget type of amendment that forces people to actually pay for what government spends is the only way you see it ever get addressed. People will kick the can until it is a crisis otherwise.

The problem is that nobody on either side has addressed the spending side of the equation

Social Security (22%), National Defense (14%), Health (14%) , Net Interest (13%), Medicare (12%), and Income Security (9%) account for 84% of the budget. Add in Veterans benefits and you are at 88%.

Something has to happen with Social Security, Health, and National Defense. Those 3 things are half the budget.

I think a balanced budget type of amendment that forces people to actually pay for what government spends is the only way you see it ever get addressed. People will kick the can until it is a crisis otherwise.

SS, Health and Medicare are very correlated. Treat them as one.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Defense spending is at record lows as % of GDP. Everything is getting crowded out by interest expenses and SS /Medicare.

I think payroll taxes are going to need to be increased if we're not going to cut retiree benefits.

We need to do both. Grandma and Grandpa can’t be living to 100. The economics don’t work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT