ADVERTISEMENT

Govt Shutdown

Odds increasing it seems.

What's the escape hatch?

Trump will cave since the optics of him golfing during a government shutdown will be too bad even for Fox News to spin.

The bipartisan compromise in the Senate would pass both chambers if put up to a vote. Has 56 sponsors in the Senate already.

Trump will cave since the optics of him golfing during a government shutdown will be too bad even for Fox News to spin.

The bipartisan compromise in the Senate would pass both chambers if put up to a vote. Has 56 sponsors in the Senate already.

It would pass yes, with mostly Dem votes. No way, no how is Ryan putting that on the floor (or McConnell for that matter). Unless he just plans to retire now.

This will go down as the stupidest shutdown in history.

And if really does happen, it may go on for awhile. I can imagine the tweeting from Trump during a shutdown that will just push the two sides further apart and make it more difficult to compromise. When you start accusing the other side of not caring about the military or children in need of health care, you don't provide for an opportunity to agree.

Reactions: meridian

I think the Dems ought to wise up and shut down the government unless congress outlaws the Designated Hitter Rule.

The Dems already decided they can gum up the spending authority with unrelated issues so what the hell.

And yet both of them will try to blame the dems when the lights get shut off.
Now we know. Democrats own this shutdown because it would have passed if they hadn’t filibustered it.

About filibusters - they need to change the rules back to the old rules and make them difficult and painful. There ought to be a Senator on the floor right now whining about how bad it is to keep the government open and reauthoriziing CHIP is. At the very least one of them could be reading the phone book for us. Do they still have phone books? ;)

Now we know. Democrats own this shutdown because it would have passed if they hadn’t filibustered it.

About filibusters - they need to change the rules back to the old rules and make them difficult and painful. There ought to be a Senator on the floor right now whining about how bad it is to keep the government open and reauthoriziing CHIP is. At the very least one of them could be reading the phone book for us. Do they still have phone books? ;)

I hate to break it to you.. Pretty much last century. I would suggest 'fire & fury' the book and not the anti-diarrheatic as the next best alternative.

I hate to break it to you.. Pretty much last century. I would suggest 'fire & fury' the book and not the anti-diarrheatic as the next best alternative.
So there are no phone books? :) incidentally, the last phone booth I saw was when I was in London three years ago. It was a cool, old fashioned, Londony one, so I had my picture taken in it.

Instead of the phone book they could read the constitution and newspapers to us. I think we still have both . . .

Reactions: sglowrider
Nahhh. Almost all have been equally stupid. Also stupid is the fact that members of Congress and the President get paid during a shutdown. I know that the Constitution, as interpreted, requires that, but I would suggest that it could be interpreted otherwise. Would it make a difference? Probably not. But it’s still absurd.

As for who is to blame, this one is on the entire lot. Perhaps we need to come up with a better mechanism to force a resolution. I don’t know what that might be, but clearly we cannot count on Congress and the White House to set a budget. While extreme, perhaps one solution is to require immediate Congressional elections when a budget, not just a CR, is not established by the required date. Practical? Probably not. But the current process allows for juvenility to prevail over common sense.

Nahhh. Almost all have been equally stupid. Also stupid is the fact that members of Congress and the President get paid during a shutdown. I know that the Constitution, as interpreted, requires that, but I would suggest that it could be interpreted otherwise. Would it make a difference? Probably not. But it’s still absurd.

As for who is to blame, this one is on the entire lot. Perhaps we need to come up with a better mechanism to force a resolution. I don’t know what that might be, but clearly we cannot count on Congress and the White House to set a budget. While extreme, perhaps one solution is to require immediate Congressional elections when a budget, not just a CR, is not established by the required date. Practical? Probably not. But the current process allows for juvenility to prevail over common sense.
That would help. So would going back to the old filibuster rules. The lazy bastards have this easy process to prevent votes on bills now. Screw that and make them work to do it.

Reactions: IUCrazy2 and Noodle

Back in the day when we had national budgets, congress never paid any attention to them. We really had no budget. Everything congress did that required new spending was accompanied by an amendment to the budget.

That said, the fiscal house went off the rails in 1974 in the wake of Watergate. The sorry state of a government spending is part of Watergate's wreckage. Up until 1974, all presidents had the authority, thought to be inherent in the authority of the executive, to not spend appropriated funds, including those appropriations the president thought were not budgeted. Congress blew that power out of the water, and SCOTUS affirmed by holding, in effect, POTUS did not have an inherent impoundment power. From that date forward, congress spent like a drunken sailor without the check and balance of the executive. The impoundment power operated kinda like a line item veto--which also has been ruled outside of POTUS authority.

So now we are stuck with a POTUS either approving various congressional spending resolutions in toto, or shutting down the government. There is nothing in-between.

What a country.

Last edited:

I've been toying with a notion about extending house terms to 4 years and staggering them, so that some are during mid-term elections and others are presidential election years. This constant seeking reelection and having a chance to adjust to changes in the voting public's trends without running for reelection makes our politics more extreme, I think. The biggest problem with this idea is that some of the terms will be permanently in off-years and others permanently during presidential election years, so it's pretty impractical in that way.

I'll just tack that idea onto yours since you're considering solutions to juvenility . . . .

Back in the day when we had national budgets, congress never paid any attention to them. We really had no budget. Everything congress did that required new spending was accompanied by an amendment to the budget.

That said, the fiscal house went off the rails in 1974 in the wake of Watergate. The sorry state of a government spending is part of Watergate's wreckage. Up until 1974, all presidents had the authority, thought to be inherent int he authority of the executive, to not spend appropriated funds, including those appropriations the president thought were not budgeted. Congress blew that power out of the water, and SCOTUS in affirmed by holding, in effect, POTUS did not have an inherent impoundment power. From that date forward, congress spent like a drunken sailor without the check and balance of the executive. The impoundment power operated kinda like a line item veto--which also has been ruled outside of POTUS authority.

So now we are stuck with a POTUS either approving various congressional spending resolutions in toto, or shutting down the government. There is nothing in-between.

What a country.

Interesting that Indiana is one of the minority states that doesn't afford its governor the impoundment power.

Rockport Zebra, you got your anarchy. Now what do we do?

I haven't quite figured RZ out on this point. I understand the sentiment behind your post, because RZ does at times talk from a libertarian point of view about things like the US becoming a police state (an observation I generally agree with).

But then he also seems to come at some things from almost a law and order perspective, such as regarding immigration, on which I think he generally agrees more with Trump's views. (I could be wrong on your views regarding immigration, RZ, so please correct me if I am.)

I've been toying with a notion about extending house terms to 4 years and staggering them, so that some are during mid-term elections and others are presidential election years. This constant seeking reelection and having a chance to adjust to changes in the voting public's trends without running for reelection makes our politics more extreme, I think. The biggest problem with this idea is that some of the terms will be permanently in off-years and others permanently during presidential election years, so it's pretty impractical in that way.

I'll just tack that idea onto yours since you're considering solutions to juvenility . . . .
Let’s go with every 3 years, and stagger them so there is a vote for a third of them every year.

I haven't quite figured RZ out on this point. I understand the sentiment behind your post, because RZ does at times talk from a libertarian point of view about things like the US becoming a police state (an observation I generally agree with).

But then he also seems to come at some things from almost a law and order perspective, such as regarding immigration, on which I think he generally agrees more with Trump's views. (I could be wrong on your views regarding immigration, RZ, so please correct me if I am.)
I take his stance as a Get Off My Lawn view, which is probably compatible with both your observations. Police are there to keep others off, but should also stay off. Of course, "my lawn" extends to all sorts of places he probably thinks government shouldn't go.

How to create the minimally ideal police force is perhaps the catch, then again, who ever said libertarianism made any sense?

Regan compromised and the demes reneged on border security. Looks like the Pubs are going to hold firm this go around. Dreamers can stay but open southern boarders must be fixed seems to be a reasonable position. I separate illegal immigration from planned legal immigration which I have stated is the easiest fix to the Social Security problem. It makes no sense to allow low wage jobs to go unfilled when we have willing workers below the boarder. It also makes no sense not to allow highly educated to stay. I think the sticking point is the wall and refugees from terrorist harboring societies. Why Schumer linked budget to a obvious poison pill demonstrates that the Demes feel they have a winning issue.

What makes you think he can see that far?

Not sure why giving Dreamers who are productive members of society (felons get deported) a path to US citizenship over 10 years is a "poison pill".

The Wall would be impossible to build, a waste of taxpayer money, and would make the Mexican drug cartels even stronger as they'd be smuggling in illegal immigrants and drugs. Via boat even if you have a perfect border wall.

Not sure why giving Dreamers who are productive members of society (felons get deported) a path to US citizenship over 10 years is a "poison pill".

The Wall would be impossible to build, a waste of taxpayer money, and would make the Mexican drug cartels even stronger as they'd be smuggling in illegal immigrants and drugs. Via boat even if you have a perfect border wall.
Like I said you think you have a winning issue. However the Republican position is not unreasonable. Voters have trouble with understanding the difference between immigration and open boarders. The millions of people from India had to stand in line, great additions to the pot but some of them had to wait ten years. Your position is nowhere close to legal immigration. Give me a little license, but it seems to me anyone from Mexico or the Central Americas can just show up and get papers if the left wins their position.

Trump has strong feelings about who needs to solve a govt shutdown.

And don't forget that after we build the wall in the ocean to stop the boats, the Cartels would be even stronger yet, because they would invest in rockets and just fly over all the walls. ... But then we build a dome to stop the rokcets, and they build Teleporters like on Star Trek!
I guess your right, build'um a house and fogetaboutit.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Well, in Trump's defense, these are BROWN people we're talking about here. If only Norway were on the other side of the border, this discussion wouldn't be taking place. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
Well, in Trump's defense these are BROWN people we're talking about here. If only Norway were on the other side of the border, this discussion wouldn't be taking place. :confused:
You noticed we are not building a wall between us and Canada :)

Last edited:
Have you ever considered the fact that you may be possessed by SATAN?

_9917433_orig.jpg

Do you disagree with his tweet? As a pastor I can tell you that as a leader I am responsible for things happening or not happening. Any leader of any organization is responsible. It's not a cocky statement he made. It is a true one.

Watch basketball, follow the races, eat self prepared meals at home, exercise everyday and try not to watch CNN, FOX and MCNBC. I think I will have some chili and collards before I have a drink. Ho Hum the shutdown come.
Guess what I'm asking is, how do we leave a better world for our children, just each generation of Americans before us has done?

Same answer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT