ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway/Bates

I'm holding out hope for a Dane Fife type emergence from Trey's shooting. The problem is his form doesn't seem like it will allow for him to become a consistent shooter. I can't, for the life of me, understand how a Coach's son could have developed THAT shooting form. Elbow under the ball, follow through straight to the basket. All it would have taken is a couple summers of harping just on that, and with his obvious talent level, he would have developed a good shot.

I'd love for Banks to emerge. Someone at his size and length, that can shoot and defend multiple positions, would make this team a Final Four contender. I thought just bringing in someone athletic, with length, that could lock down opposing good wing scorers would have come close to making us final four capable. If Kaleb can be that guy, and make some shots from the outside...LEVEL UP!!!
That would be great, and it may have been football, but wasn't Dane's Dad also a coach? I just think some guys are shooters and some don't have the touch. Steve Eyl, Chris Reynolds, Meeks, even Quinn. I'm confident that with a Dad who was a good high school coach, he's had good instruction which leaves me feeling he's just not a shooter. Hope I'm wrong, and I think someone reported (maybe from Don Fischer) that his shot looked better in practice. We'll start to get an idea pretty soon!

That would be great, and it may have been football, but wasn't Dane's Dad also a coach? I just think some guys are shooters and some don't have the touch. Steve Eyl, Chris Reynolds, Meeks, even Quinn. I'm confident that with a Dad who was a good high school coach, he's had good instruction which leaves me feeling he's just not a shooter. Hope I'm wrong, and I think someone reported (maybe from Don Fischer) that his shot looked better in practice. We'll start to get an idea pretty soon!
Reynolds had to have the worst shot of any IU player I remember that actually played much.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
It could also mean the team efficiency is higher with him on the floor.

Do you have a lineup splits of IU with and without Kopp showing defensive and offensive team efficiencies decreasing with him on the floor?
Fair points, but if Kopp is the best IU can offer at the 3, that's not a great sign. He's had five years to develop his game at the collegiate level, so he is who he is; I don't see him making significant strides.

As for splits, no one really challenged Kopp's spot last season; he played 30ish minutes out of necessity. On paper at least, this team appears to have more lineup flexibility. I think MK will be a starter early, but ultimately I see him as a 12-15 MPG sniper (hopefully) in '22-'23.

Fair points, but if Kopp is the best IU can offer at the 3, that's not a great sign. He's had five years to develop his game at the collegiate level, so he is who he is; I don't see him making significant strides.

As for splits, no one really challenged Kopp's spot last season; he played 30ish minutes out of necessity. On paper at least, this team appears to have more lineup flexibility. I think MK will be a starter early, but ultimately I see him as a 12-15 MPG sniper (hopefully) in '22-'23.
We'll see ...

If he shoots at the rate he did as a soph he'll be fine. Also, if X can take his horse blinders off and make passes to the side, instead of what's in front of him, that would help. Not bashing on X, but too many times last year his tunnel vision to the middle of the floor missed shooters open on the wings. JHS will probably help that situation also.

We'll see ...

If he shoots at the rate he did as a soph he'll be fine. Also, if X can take his horse blinders off and make passes to the side, instead of what's in front of him, that would help. Not bashing on X, but too many times last year his tunnel vision to the middle of the floor missed shooters open on the wings. JHS will probably help that situation also.
yeah, from descriptions and video I've seen, JHS is just a classic pass-first PG, ala Kidd orNash, who also happens to have a good body for a PG, whereas I think XJ has more 2 guard instincts but is just skilled enough to play PG. I think when on the floor together, JHS will be handling the ball more and initiating things.

yeah, from descriptions and video I've seen, JHS is just a classic pass-first PG, ala Kidd orNash, who also happens to have a good body for a PG, whereas I think XJ has more 2 guard instincts but is just skilled enough to play PG. I think when on the floor together, JHS will be handling the ball more and initiating things.
The day JHS gets the ball at point will be the day X goes to the bench unless something changes with X. Galloway or Bates will both better options. Especially Galloway because of his 1. Defense, 2. Passing ability. Even Gunn considering he’s 6’6?… and a much better shooter.

I like X, but he better adjust vs talking on Twitter. I’m still not convinced he can be trusted to be a team first winning basketball player who accepts a role. I’ve been wrong before.

Flame away!

Reactions: Spartans9312
I just don't see it .. not one bit. I wouldn't even consider him a scoring point. He's an attacker, a penetrator .. but still not a score first guard.
You have to score to be a scoring point right? X better learn fast his role is to put others in a position to score, take his shots when they’re there, and be a dawg on defense.

Woodsons quote after the game was telling. He will sit him. Plenty of guys ready to take those minutes. IU is in no way beholden to him to play point this year, and he may be a 3rd or 4th option for an off guard.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I'm holding out hope for a Dane Fife type emergence from Trey's shooting. The problem is his form doesn't seem like it will allow for him to become a consistent shooter. I can't, for the life of me, understand how a Coach's son could have developed THAT shooting form. Elbow under the ball, follow through straight to the basket. All it would have taken is a couple summers of harping just on that, and with his obvious talent level, he would have developed a good shot.

I'd love for Banks to emerge. Someone at his size and length, that can shoot and defend multiple positions, would make this team a Final Four contender. I thought just bringing in someone athletic, with length, that could lock down opposing good wing scorers would have come close to making us final four capable. If Kaleb can be that guy, and make some shots from the outside...LEVEL UP!!!
Nor can I. I was a smaller player with a great shot, but when I got on a good team our coach was like no way, fix that or no PT. I was able to fix it and got even better as a shooter. That hip shot stuff is hard to lose because it does give you more range and it's like taking away a baby blanket, but it can be done.

Some with height like Bird or Wilkes can be great shooters with bad form, but not most of us, just have to practice proper form and I'd argue that just going through that process will make you a better shooter than you were.

I'm also shocked he made it to a P5 team with that form, but it is more fixable than most, because he was never a shooter, he's not got much to lose

You have to score to be a scoring point right? X better learn fast his role is to put others in a position to score, take his shots when they’re there, and be a dawg on defense.

Woodsons quote after the game was telling. He will sit him. Plenty of guys ready to take those minutes. IU is in no way beholden to him to play point this year, and he may be a 3rd or 4th option for an off guard.
With the talent we have scoring should be his last option. I doubt he sits .. defense will keep him on the court.

Absolutely no reason to rethink this. Galloway is no PG. At least not on a good team. JHS, a transfer, or Cupps will be our starting PG next year.
Not sure I agree about Galloway. Maybe not as a primary PG, but he can play the position. He is probably our most savvy player, which is a good trait in a PG. He only has 1 TO all season - ball handling is not an issue. And he is a plus defender.

Reactions: Aych1970
Not sure I agree about Galloway. Maybe not as a primary PG, but he can play the position. He is probably our most savvy player, which is a good trait in a PG. He only has 1 TO all season - ball handling is not an issue. And he is a plus defender.
And most importantly... he seems to have Basketball IQ.... which is what most of RMK's players had.

Absolutely no reason to rethink this. Galloway is no PG. At least not on a good team. JHS, a transfer, or Cupps will be our starting PG next year.
Galloway is a junkyard dog. He can be a point guard if needs be simply because he has learned to value the ball, has developed a decent handle, can drive, dish, suddenly has range from deep, has excellent court vision and is as opportunistic as they come. That being said, little chance he assumes primary point duties next year - prefer he play 'off the leash' and free to mix it up as a Player that sort of defies categorization. His passing is a still a little lackadaisical at times (narrowly avoided a couple of TO's last night), and while better still sometimes gets beat off opponents' first step, but he makes shit happen and is consistently a pain in the ass on defense.

Were any number of idiots here previously stating that he was a wasted scholarship or some such, beauty of it is IU might have him for two more years.

Last edited:
He CAN play the position and is able to do so when we are in a pinch (like last night). I don't believe he is a good enough ball handler or quick enough to play the position all the time.

Galloway is a junkyard dog. He can be a point guard if needs be simply because he has learned to value the ball, has developed a decent handle, can drive, dish, suddenly has range from deep, has excellent court vision and is as opportunistic as they come. That being said, little chance he assumes primary point duties next year - prefer he play 'off the leash' and free to mix it up as a Player that sort of defies categorization. His passing is a still a little lackadaisical at times (narrowly avoided a couple of TO's last night), and while better still sometimes gets beat off opponents' fist step, but he makes shit happen and is consistently a pain in the ass on defense.

Were any number of idiots here previously stating that he was a wasted scholarship or some such, beauty of it is IU might have him for two more years.
I agree with all the above.

Galloway is a junkyard dog. He can be a point guard if needs be simply because he has learned to value the ball, has developed a decent handle, can drive, dish, suddenly has range from deep, has excellent court vision and is as opportunistic as they come. That being said, little chance he assumes primary point duties next year - prefer he play 'off the leash' and free to mix it up as a Player that sort of defies categorization. His passing is a still a little lackadaisical at times (narrowly avoided a couple of TO's last night), and while better still sometimes gets beat off opponents' fist step, but he makes shit happen and is consistently a pain in the ass on defense.

All good points. It's why he's so valuable. He's great in a role where he can roam and wreak havoc, but if JHS is drafted it's huge that he can play at PG. Even with a freshman Cupp and a portal PG, his experience with CMW's system may be needed.

all of our starters, and some bench players, were getting beat off the dribble too frequently last night.
need to tighten that up for the next 2 games.
i did see better help defense vs Neb than i saw vs Rut.

Love watching Galloway play, Bates, ehhh?
When things are going good we all love Galloway. The problem is the next game he might go for 2pts. If you couple that with a few others not shooting well (Xavier, Bates, Geronimo, Race) then you have the Rutgers game. Need more consistency on the offensive end from a few of IU players if they want to make a run this year.

When things are going good we all love Galloway. The problem is the next game he might go for 2pts. If you couple that with a few others not shooting well (Xavier, Bates, Geronimo, Race) then you have the Rutgers game. Need more consistency on the offensive end from a few of IU players if they want to make a run this year.
I bet you were up all night thinking about that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT