ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway/Bates

NOMORENIT

Freshman
Jan 29, 2020
Woodson was criticized in another article about his substitution pattern or playing time with Bates. I think Bates performance was spotty and the playing time was warranted as a freshman. This year Bates seems to have much upside and hopefully we'll see the results. The big guard/small forward will be a crowded position with much competition for playing time. If Galloway continues to be a non threat from the outside I don't see how you can play him. I love his hustle, but he has to step up this year. I'm rooting for Bates with a break out year.

Woodson was criticized in another article about his substitution pattern or playing time with Bates. I think Bates performance was spotty and the playing time was warranted as a freshman. This year Bates seems to have much upside and hopefully we'll see the results. The big guard/small forward will be a crowded position with much competition for playing time. If Galloway continues to be a non threat from the outside I don't see how you can play him. I love his hustle, but he has to step up this year. I'm rooting for Bates with a break out year.
I agree re: Trey. First thing he has to do is stay healthy for a season. He plays with reckless abandon, which I love/respect, but that also leads to increased chances of getting banged up.

And he has to at least hit a few outside shots to keep the defense honest.

with addition of JHS, there are only so many minutes to go around. Whoever can hit 3s, AND play D, will see the court.

I agree re: Trey. First thing he has to do is stay healthy for a season. He plays with reckless abandon, which I love/respect, but that also leads to increased chances of getting banged up.

And he has to at least hit a few outside shots to keep the defense honest.

with addition of JHS, there are only so many minutes to go around. Whoever can hit 3s, AND play D, will see the court.
That means Banks will play!

Reactions: kmathum
The newcomers are going to surprise people!
What we get from Malik this year is a mystery to me. But I have had high hopes for JHS since I watched some of MV's games last year. He just played with a solid feel while on the court. JHS and X in the backcourt together may be a very scary matchup for a lot of teams. Some serious physicality from those two guards along with quickness, and in X's case....elite quickness. I can even see JHS taking smaller guards down on the blocks and post them up and abuse them (maybe that's just the old school baller in me).

What we get from Malik this year is a mystery to me. But I have had high hopes for JHS since I watched some of MV's games last year. He just played with a solid feel while on the court. JHS and X in the backcourt together may be a very scary matchup for a lot of teams. Some serious physicality from those two guards along with quickness, and in X's case....elite quickness. I can even see JHS taking smaller guards down on the blocks and post them up and abuse them (maybe that's just the old school baller in me).
I'm all in with the Freshman and Banks although I thought Hanner Pererra was the next coming of Christ. I'll wait for Banks to prove it although I like what I see so far. JHS is the only freshman I'll say will contribute big this year without watching him playing a minute at the collegiate level.

I'm all in with the Freshman and Banks although I thought Hanner Pererra was the next coming of Christ. I'll wait for Banks to prove it although I like what I see so far. JHS is the only freshman I'll say will contribute big this year without watching him playing a minute at the collegiate level.
HMP's star started to fade even before he got here. Only concern I have with JHS is getting ample opps from 3 and hitting at less than 30%. Everything else I saw looked solid and B1G ready. And with X out there, JHS won't be expected to lead the offense. He's actually in a very good spot this season...experienced PG by his side and AA big man inside. He'll be a frosh playing with a bunch of twenty-some-yr olds.

I have never disliked a player more than Air Columbia

I have never disliked a player more than Air Columbia
I remembers itting at an AAU tournament at North central and watching HP demonstrate a level of athletisim I had before seen. Pretty exciting to watch up close. I was massively dissapointed in his overall performance in Btown.

Trey has 3 years left if he wants to stay right? I forget who is still on the extra covid yr plan.

I keep hoping Bates will be the second coming of Victor Oladipo. If so, I think Kopp's PT will suffer. I can also see Bates being the first guard off the bench or even, if starting, shiting over to the off guard when either XJ or JHS goes to the bench. In any event I am hoping Bates has improved enough to get a lot more PT. The guys who may suffer with PT loss would be Galloway.

I suspect the final rotation will have these guys with the most PT and IU will be a winner/contender if they all play at a high level:

XJ
JHS
Kopp/Bates
Race/Geronimo
TJD/Reneau

To a lesser degree:
Galloway

Spotty (at least for this season):
Duncomb
Banks
Gunn
Leal

I keep hoping Bates will be the second coming of Victor Oladipo. If so, I think Kopp's PT will suffer. I can also see Bates being the first guard off the bench or even, if starting, shiting over to the off guard when either XJ or JHS goes to the bench. In any event I am hoping Bates has improved enough to get a lot more PT. The guys who may suffer with PT loss would be Galloway.

I suspect the final rotation will have these guys with the most PT and IU will be a winner/contender if they all play at a high level:

XJ
JHS
Kopp/Bates
Race/Geronimo
TJD/Reneau

To a lesser degree:
Galloway

Duncomb
Banks
Gunn
Leal
In a sense being less important overall for minutes might be to Trey's advantage and what he brings? He doesn't really have to worry much about foul trouble just play balls out for the minutes he has

XJ
JHS
Kopp/Bates
Race/Geronimo
TJD/Reneau

To a lesser degree:
Galloway

Duncomb
Banks
Gunn
Leal
I often like to use minutes in a close, B10 game, as a guide for who is in the main rotation...

Xavier 30 minutes
Trayce 30 minutes
Race 25 minutes
Jalen 25 minutes
Miller 22 minutes
Tamar 20 minutes
Malik 18 Minutes
Jordan 15 minutes
Trey 15 minutes

This adds up to 200 minutes. Obviously over the course of a season, the others on the roster will get time, either in mop up duty, foul trouble and/or injury situations...or just by playing their way into more minutes. But if you want Kaleb, CJ, Logan or Anthony to play more minutes in a contested game...who's playing less?

This is one of the reasons I'm tempering my Tamar expectations. I think even if he is quite a lot better this year, and I think he probably will be, who's going to play less from the list I provided, enough for him to really emerge? The big 3 are likely to play more minutes than they are less than what I put, if anything. From basically all accounts, Jalen has solidified himself as a main rotation guy, and most are talking about him as a 1 and done candidate. Those level of players tend to play big minutes. Malik, being really the main post sub behind Race and Trayce, is going to get solid minutes. Maybe Jordan and Trey play less? Miller I would say should be a candidate for less minutes, but the more I dug into it, he's another I wouldnt be surprised if he played more minutes than I put, not less. Woodson trusts him probably as much or more than any other player we have.

Having said all this, 20 minutes of highly effective and productive play...would certainly be a much better year for Tamar than last year. Probably breakout level improvements, to be fair.

Last edited:
I hope not
I had this stance too for most of the offseason. I've softened on it...a little bit.

JHS is the main reason for that. I think replacing Parker, Rob etc... minutes with JHS changes our team quite a bit around Miller. I'm also strongly hoping Woodson elects to alter their offense a bit, allowing Race and or Trayce to be on the perimeter for longer stretches.

Last year, we had 2 guys clogging the lane for long stretches, and another "shooter" alongside Miller that was limited physically in what they could do with the ball, other than catch and shoot. This year, we'll have 2 guards that will be able to move alot and make plays at different levels. And hopefully the lane won't be clogged nearly as much. This will create more gravity for Miller's defenders to have to step over and help, and overall just pay more attention to the other spots on the floor.

Could be a very different looking Miller this year as a result. And defensively...though I didn't really see it as much, evidently Woodson was/is enamored with Miller as a defender. Tamar will have had to come along a lot defensively, I'd say, to challenge Miller for a starting role.

Reactions: NotThatJC
I had this stance too for most of the offseason. I've softened on it...a little bit.

JHS is the main reason for that. I think replacing Parker, Rob etc... minutes with JHS changes our team quite a bit around Miller. I'm also strongly hoping Woodson elects to alter their offense a bit, allowing Race and or Trayce to be on the perimeter for longer stretches.

Last year, we had 2 guys clogging the lane for long stretches, and another "shooter" alongside Miller that was limited physically in what they could do with the ball, other than catch and shoot. This year, we'll have 2 guards that will be able to move alot and make plays at different levels. And hopefully the lane won't be clogged nearly as much. This will create more gravity for Miller's defenders to have to step over and help, and overall just pay more attention to the other spots on the floor.

Could be a very different looking Miller this year as a result. And defensively...though I didn't really see it as much, evidently Woodson was/is enamored with Miller as a defender. Tamar will have had to come along a lot defensively, I'd say, to challenge Miller for a starting role.
Yeah, i haven't seen a great defender either. i think coming off the bench and playing 10 or 12 minutes a game, miller could be a great asset. but starting and playing heavy minutes he's a liability.

Yeah, i haven't seen a great defender either. i think coming off the bench and playing 10 or 12 minutes a game, miller could be a great asset. but starting and playing heavy minutes he's a liability.
I don't think it's that he's great, but that he's solid, knows where he's supposed to be, and is there and knows where everyone else should be too. Essentially, he doesn't make many mistakes, and that seems a key for CMW. But, also, if you don't want MK on the floor, then I hope you're not someone's who's been railing about our shooting, because he's pretty established as our best shooter, and as of now, he's about the only guy I expect to make 3s that I've seen on our roster. XJ shot a good percentage, but his shot always looks so whacked to me, I don't expect them to go in!

Reactions: Crayfish57
Chris Reynolds and for that matter Buckner we're not great shooters at all, but they were great contributors to their teams. TG brings an energy to the floor which contributes a great deal to this team.

Chris Reynolds and for that matter Buckner we're not great shooters at all, but they were great contributors to their teams. TG brings an energy to the floor which contributes a great deal to this team.
They were surrounded by better players too…

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT