ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway X and the portal

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
Woodson is catching a lot of shit. for not bringing in another competent guard from the portal for this year. in his defense it's hard to get someone to commit when you have 2 senior starting guards, the reason kids go into the portal are they are disgruntled over playing time or believe they can play at a higher level. If TJD was still here, do you believe we would Ware? why is MM here because he saw an immediate opening to start. I wonder what Woodson will do with Galloway if he wants to come back, if he plays like he did against OSU all the time I'm sure he would welcome him with open arms. on the other when he's been bad, he's been bad do you want him to be a roadblock to improving the roster next year..

Woodson is catching a lot of shit. for not bringing in another competent guard from the portal for this year. in his defense it's hard to get someone to commit when you have 2 senior starting guards, the reason kids go into the portal are they are disgruntled over playing time or believe they can play at a higher level. If TJD was still here, do you believe we would Ware? why is MM here because he saw an immediate opening to start. I wonder what Woodson will do with Galloway if he wants to come back, if he plays like he did against OSU all the time I'm sure he would welcome him with open arms. on the other when he's been bad, he's been bad do you want him to be a roadblock to improving the roster next year..
Give him a shooter on each side .. ie at the 1 and 3 and he's a good fit. Expecting him to carry the scoring from the perimeter not so much.

How many drinks you plan on having saturday during the game like 27? I suppose given its a late game you will already be about 15 deep before it even starts.

Reactions: ulrey
How many drinks you plan on having saturday during the game like 27? I suppose given its a late game you will already be about 15 deep before it even starts.
honest reply to your question will probably be in the neighborhood of 2 buckets and a few mixed drinks at an early dinner before I settle in for the game. what are your plans? how many times will you masturbate to fox news before the late tip off?

Last edited:
honest reply to your question will probably be in the neighborhood of 2 buckets and a few mixed drinks at an early dinner before I settle in for the game. what are your plans? how many times will you masturbate to fox news before the late tip off?
FNC does employ a fair amount of good looking blonds...so there's that. Maddow and Joy aren't gonna work.

(disclaimer- my comment is in regards to appeal...not politics. And apologies to females on the board who were just offended)

Woodson is catching a lot of shit. for not bringing in another competent guard from the portal for this year. in his defense it's hard to get someone to commit when you have 2 senior starting guards, the reason kids go into the portal are they are disgruntled over playing time or believe they can play at a higher level.
This is a very valid point. Explains why someone like Knecht would look at IU vs Tenn, and the decision to go to Knoxville makes perfect sense. Woody would have to tell Knecht the spot is his, Gallo would be first sub off the bench, and Gallo would be cool with it. Not sure Woody rolls that way.

This is a very valid point. Explains why someone like Knecht would look at IU vs Tenn, and the decision to go to Knoxville makes perfect sense. Woody would have to tell Knecht the spot is his, Gallo would be first sub off the bench, and Gallo would be cool with it. Not sure Woody rolls that way.
Portal kids looking for promised starting positions are a problem. No good coach is going to promise that. He'd promise that if you earn it, it's yours but its up to you.

Knecht wouldn't have to worry about minutes anywhere. But I'm guessing most of the mid-major portal guards saw Galloway's experience starting in the B10 and thought twice.

To the original question, the message this year has to be, "if you can shoot, you'll play here" even if it means taking Galloway's minutes. After seeing him 4 years, we know last night was an outlier.

I be happy replacing everybody but do we really trust Woodson to add mutiple shooting guards.

I suspect the offense Woodson runs (even post-TJD) had at least as much to do with players like Knecht going elsewhere as the presence of X or Gallo did.

Portal kids looking for promised starting positions are a problem. No good coach is going to promise that. He'd promise that if you earn it, it's yours but its up to you.
agreed. It's an issue...kid leaving a program where he's already starting and the main offensive focus, going somewhere with no guarantee of starting. Granted this is hypothetical....Knecht would have been starting here. But there was likely no guarantee. Who knows what Tenn promised him behind closed doors. Nice guys finish last in college recruiting.

Knecht wouldn't have to worry about minutes anywhere. But I'm guessing most of the mid-major portal guards saw Galloway's experience starting in the B10 and thought twice.

To the original question, the message this year has to be, "if you can shoot, you'll play here" even if it means taking Galloway's minutes. After seeing him 4 years, we know last night was an outlier.
I don’t think Galloway had anything to do with not getting Knecht. Knecht is more of a 3 wing anyway. I figured they would’ve been on the floor together. I’d say if we would’ve gotten him then MM wouldn’t be here.

Reactions: bawlmer
I suspect the offense Woodson runs (even post-TJD) had at least as much to do with players like Knecht going elsewhere as the presence of X or Gallo did.
so that's the question...is Woody running feed-the-post by design, or by necessity? Or both? Tough to succeed running 4 out/1 in or even 5 out when the guys sitting on the "out" are throwing bricks at the rim. If we had a solid shooting, healthy PG this year, with Knecht and MM on the outside....keep MR in the lane, move Ware in and out, with Gallo giving us 15-20 min of balls to the wall hustle off the bench....I would have loved to see how the season played out.

Reactions: BigMobe
so that's the question...is Woody running feed-the-post by design, or by necessity? Or both? Tough to succeed running 4 out/1 in or even 5 out when the guys sitting on the "out" are throwing bricks at the rim. If we had a solid shooting, healthy PG this year, with Knecht and MM on the outside....keep MR in the lane, move Ware in and out, with Gallo giving us 15-20 min of balls to the wall hustle off the bench....I would have loved to see how the season played out.
Apparently the coaching staff couldn’t convince Knecht (or any other portal shooter) that what you describe is what would actually happen if they played at IU.

Given how this season is playing out, I expect it may be even harder to convince portal shooters this cycle than it was a year ago. I hope not, or else next season could get even uglier than this one.

Apparently the coaching staff couldn’t convince Knecht (or any other portal shooter) that what you describe is what would actually happen if they played at IU.

Given how this season is playing out, I expect it may be even harder to convince portal shooters this cycle than it was a year ago. I hope not, or else next season could get even uglier than this one.
a lot will ride on what MM and Gallo decide to do after the season is over. Like the previous poster said, if we already have incumbents returning, selling playing time to portal prospects gets even tougher. I think MM has been gone since day one, but Gallo still has a covid year to play if he wants

Last edited:
a lot will ride on what MM and Gallo decide to do after the season is over. Like the previous poster said, if we already incumbents returning, selling playing time to portal prospects gets even tougher. I think MM has been gone since day one, but Gallo still has a covid year to play if he wants
How do you know MM is not a finish product. HE MAy return and stay and learn.

He’s not getting crap for not having another guard. He’s getting crap, at least from me, soecifically for relying on Xavier both for performance and in roster construction. Xavier’s track record screams contingency plan, and everyone knew Cupps would not be ready this year.

IU would make the tourney with Knecht. He's that good.

How do you know MM is not a finish product. HE MAy return and stay and learn.
I don't know. Hence, why I said "I think". But that has been the consensus since day 1.
I have no problem with him staying. Having him and Liam Mc on the wings would be interesting. But we also need a strong PG who can hit 3s and get past his man on the drive towards the lane. That opens up the wings. I love Cupps' effort but he's not there yet.

Reactions: Willdog7
He’s not getting crap for not having another guard. He’s getting crap, at least from me, soecifically for relying on Xavier both for performance and in roster construction. Xavier’s track record screams contingency plan, and everyone knew Cupps would not be ready this year.
yep he rolled the dice with XJ, and lost, and Cupps put in a position he's not ready for yet.

Bates scored 20 again last night for Mizzou, but they got spanked by TX A&M. He's having a good numbers season...for an extremely shitty team. His stats this year are 14.2 ppg shooting 54%/44%/96%. Hard to believe this is the same player we saw for 2 yrs at IU.

In fairness I don't think anyone expected Xavier to spend the majority of the season on the injured list, again.

Could have gotten a PG or combo guard 'looking to play at a higher level' with 2 years remaining eligibility.

We have McNeeley and Leal a pretty good pair.
tenor.gif

In fairness I don't think anyone expected Xavier to spend the majority of the season on the injured list, again.
Maybe. But foot injuries to ball players can be bad news long term. It was a risk. And X hasn’t looked the same when he was on the court. Even before he got hurt last yr, he was not playing like he did during the last 3rd of the 21-22 season. I do feel bad for him. He wanted redemption this yr but instead found disaster.

Galloway shot 47.5 % from 3 a year ago. He plays hard. Why replace him?

Galloway shot 47.5 % from 3 a year ago. He plays hard. Why replace him?
because it's not last year and he's 29% from 3 and 55% from the FT line.

His drop in FT% is bad....he's gone down every season. Smaller sample size given, but he was a 73% FT shooter his frosh year. Even the past 2 yrs he hovered near 65%. That's a huge dip over 4 yrs.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I still don’t understand how recruits were worried about PT when we have a thin, not good backcourt. So strange.
I consider myself a fairly knowledgable basketball fan...a fair bit more knowledgable on IU basketball, specifically.

And I thought X and Trey would form one of the better back courts in the conference this year. At one point, I think I actually posted I thought they'd be better than Purdue's back court.

Not hard to understand how a recruit, who is just learning about IU bball, would think a couple of apparently solid senior guards, would be hard to pull minutes away from.

Hindsight is crystal clear on this one...

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman and asindc
I consider myself a fairly knowledgable basketball fan...a fair bit more knowledgable on IU basketball, specifically.

And I thought X and Trey would form one of the better back courts in the conference this year. At one point, I think I actually posted I thought they'd be better than Purdue's back court.

Not hard to understand how a recruit, who is just learning about IU bball, would think a couple of apparently solid senior guards, would be hard to pull minutes away from.

Hindsight is crystal clear on this one...
Maybe X, Trey no. Regardless, these are just two players. Our next guard up is Cupps. Recruits are smart, they would see PT. I still think it’s something else.

UK has three guards who are lotto picks. Other teams build depth without all this extreme sensitivity to PT.

Maybe X, Trey no. Regardless, these are just two players. Our next guard up is Cupps. Recruits are smart, they would see PT. I still think it’s something else.

UK has three guards who are lotto picks. Other teams build depth without all this extreme sensitivity to PT.
Next guards up were CJ, Gabe and Newton.

I think there were many posters clamoring for more guards, and specifically more shooting. But there weren't many that framed it like this. It was all depth related, need for more shooting, etc... And even most of that died down when Mack chose IU.

I pushed back on the need to sign more guards, for the most part. Obviously I was way off base on that. But if X had been healthy all year, and if Newton hadn't needed another surgery... I'm not so certain this post, in any form, would exist right now.

Reactions: Willdog7
Problem is....Galloway shouldn't be a starting 2 guard.

X was coming off an injury..So was Newton. To leave a scholly open and unused issinine.

To add...the reason no 2 guard came isn't because of TG..ITS THE OFFENSE.

Give him a shooter on each side .. ie at the 1 and 3 and he's a good fit. Expecting him to carry the scoring from the perimeter not so much.

And there is the crux of the problem.

Our 1, who can get downhill, shoot 35+% from 3, and guard the ball, has been hurt.

Our 3 is really a 4, who can catch and shoot, can rebound, but cannot create his own shot, cannot finish at the rim, and cannot guard a 3, or a 2 when switching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT