ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway X and the portal

I suspect the offense Woodson runs (even post-TJD) had at least as much to do with players like Knecht going elsewhere as the presence of X or Gallo did.
Exactly. Woodson talked about how he liked to play fast and “small” (with 1 big and the other 4 being some combination of wings and guards). But in reality, he has played with 2 bigs most of the time. It’s been a plodding looking half court team. Not real attractive to a lot of guards and wings.

If the offense was so unattractive to guards (even after JHS’s one IU season), why did Fland so seriously consider IU that he included them in his final 2?

If the offense was so unattractive to guards (even after JHS’s one IU season), why did Fland so seriously consider IU that he included them in his final 2?
Why did we swing and miss on every portal guard we were talking with?

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I consider myself a fairly knowledgable basketball fan...a fair bit more knowledgable on IU basketball, specifically.

And I thought X and Trey would form one of the better back courts in the conference this year. At one point, I think I actually posted I thought they'd be better than Purdue's back court.

Not hard to understand how a recruit, who is just learning about IU bball, would think a couple of apparently solid senior guards, would be hard to pull minutes away from.

Hindsight is crystal clear on this one...
plus, it didn't seem as though we were even pursuing many guards. Most of the guys I recall are more 3s than 2s. Who were the 1s and 2s we were after? Knecht's a 3 isn't he? And the kid from out west who I think ended up at KU?

Guards we went after in the portal who were considered shooters:
Caleb Love, North Carolina guard –> committed to Michigan then Arizona
Kowacie Reeves, Florida guard –> committed to Georgia Tech
Keshon Gilbert, UNLV guard –> committed to Iowa State
Quincy Olivari, Rice guard –> IU not in final four, committed to Xavier
El Ellis, Louisville guard –> committed to Arkansas
Nick Timberlake, Towson guard –> committed to Kansas
Cormac Ryan, Notre Dame guard –> committed to North Carolina
Jordan Dingle, Penn Guard – committed to St. John’s

Might be missing some.

FNC does employ a fair amount of good looking blonds...so there's that. Maddow and Joy aren't gonna work.

(disclaimer- my comment is in regards to appeal...not politics. And apologies to females on the board who were just offended)
In all fairness Ray -chel Maddow is a guy. lol Reid hates whites but dyes her hair white??

Guards we went after in the portal who were considered shooters:
Caleb Love, North Carolina guard –> committed to Michigan then Arizona
Kowacie Reeves, Florida guard –> committed to Georgia Tech
Keshon Gilbert, UNLV guard –> committed to Iowa State
Quincy Olivari, Rice guard –> IU not in final four, committed to Xavier
El Ellis, Louisville guard –> committed to Arkansas
Nick Timberlake, Towson guard –> committed to Kansas
Cormac Ryan, Notre Dame guard –> committed to North Carolina
Jordan Dingle, Penn Guard – committed to St. John’s

Might be missing some.
But we don't know that Woodson went hard after them at all. He can list names but that doesn't prove anything. The only guard I know of was Dalton Knecht that IU really went hard after.

Next guards up were CJ, Gabe and Newton.

I think there were many posters clamoring for more guards, and specifically more shooting. But there weren't many that framed it like this. It was all depth related, need for more shooting, etc... And even most of that died down when Mack chose IU.

I pushed back on the need to sign more guards, for the most part. Obviously I was way off base on that. But if X had been healthy all year, and if Newton hadn't needed another surgery... I'm not so certain this post, in any form, would exist right now.
To me X is a mirror of Greene from years ago. Never a consistent player. Plus rarely on the floor due to soooooooo many injuries.

But we don't know that Woodson went hard after them at all. He can list names but that doesn't prove anything. The only guard I know of was Dalton Knecht that IU really went hard after.
All those guys were connected to Indiana in the portal. We went after all of them. "Hard" is subjective and not sure how you define it, but that's your term, not mine. Some of them got visits, some didn't.

Knect didn't give us the time of day. A zoom call is all we got. Is that going hard after someone?

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT