ADVERTISEMENT

From Tiger Board - not earth shattering but consistent....

You're talking about a school that employed Bob Knight for 29 years, IndianaHoops.

You know, I once had a conversation with a guy who was a high-level executive for a Fortune 500 company. He talked about how much everybody hated the CEO who had been brought in from outside the company by the private equity firm which owned a controlling interest. Various long-time employees had quit because they didn't get along with him. He didn't have a whole lot of genuine friends in the community.

After seeing the company's stock chart since he'd become CEO, I could see why the shareholders weren't complaining. The stock had performed marvelously.

I don't care that our coach be well-liked or "easy going." I care that he's successful.
It's still a step up for Marshall and being liked (or merely appearing to be likeable like Krzyzewski) is important.

I believe we have a shot at Donovan. I don't feel like I am thinking too small, I just think Miller has always been in a great situation at Arizona and would be silly to leave.
I think the odds are against it but you still have to make him turn down $6 mil for 7 years before you move on.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Knight demonstrated loyalties to his players that doesn't see the light of day, especially to the newer generations. What he did for Landon Turner and for Kirk Hasten are just a couple of obvious examples that come to mind. He went to bat for Coach K bigtime...and how did that turn out? Knight was as loyal as he was an ass...but its stylish and fashionable to focus on the negatives.

He got to the point where his loyalties were eclipsed by his assholery . . . I was a big RMK fan when he respected the game at least, but after a while my sense was it became all about RMK . . . and that diminished the program as it diminished him.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Knight demonstrated loyalties to his players that doesn't see the light of day, especially to the newer generations. What he did for Landon Turner and for Kirk Hasten are just a couple of obvious examples that come to mind. He went to bat for Coach K bigtime...and how did that turn out? Knight was as loyal as he was an ass...but its stylish and fashionable to focus on the negatives.

You are getting in on this argument late. Someone said Knight treated alumni and fans poorly to show that Gregg Marshal wouldn't be any different. And I was pointing out that Knight treated fans and alumni very well.

You are getting in on this argument late. Someone said Knight treated alumni and fans poorly to show that Gregg Marshal wouldn't be any different. And I was pointing out that Knight treated fans and alumni very well.
just giving equal time to the "RMK is an asshole" mantra....somebody has to.....might as well be me.

You're talking about a school that employed Bob Knight for 29 years, IndianaHoops.

You know, I once had a conversation with a guy who was a high-level executive for a Fortune 500 company. He talked about how much everybody hated the CEO who had been brought in from outside the company by the private equity firm which owned a controlling interest. Various long-time employees had quit because they didn't get along with him. He didn't have a whole lot of genuine friends in the community.

After seeing the company's stock chart since he'd become CEO, I could see why the shareholders weren't complaining. The stock had performed marvelously.

I don't care that our coach be well-liked or "easy going." I care that he's successful.

First, Knight treated alumni and the fan base like the salt of the earth. Between donating time and money, doing clinics for high school coaches, or speaking engagements....Knight did it all. You are either too young or have forgotten how well liked Knight was and still is by IU fans. It wasn't just the wins and losses. Knight hung a banner FOR THE FANS. He gave the fans 100% credit for a B10 title.

Was Knight a complete ass and bully to his players, officials, the media, and opposing teams? Absolutely....but not to the fans base.

Look at Billy Gillispie and UK how successful coaches don't want want to deal with off court responsibilities and how it effects wins and losses.
I heard him many times berate fans. Once at a luncheon in Indy and often on the call-in show. They even changed the format of that. Fisch was not unhappy that he was gone. RMK treated Fisch terribly.

He got to the point where his loyalties were eclipsed by his assholery . . . I was a big RMK fan when he respected the game at least, but after a while my sense was it became all about RMK . . . and that diminished the program as it diminished him.

I think all the worship he got over the years went to his head. I have an older sister and two older cousins who graduated from IU in the 80s and I remember them saying "he's pretty arrogant" and/or "he's kind of an ass" when referring to RMK. These weren't just IU students, these are lifelong IU fans. I was younger, but just as diehard back then as I am now. I never believed them. I always thought they were saying it because they knew it pissed me off. I'd always say "look what he does for charity", "how can he be such an arrogant jerk and give all these great speeches", "if he's such an a-hole why do all these kids line up to play for him". Yeah, that's what I said. Then I got to IU and had the pleasure of a few chance encounters with The General and saw his interactions with others at times. Let's just say I came back home for a visit and had a few conversations that went something like "remember when you guys would tell me about RMK..."

He wasn't always a jerk, but that dude could be a JERK. You never knew which one you would get. Like he was seriously bipolar or something.

Because i think Marshall is a far superior basketball coach. He has dominated at every level he has coached at. He took WSU to a final four as well as being a#1 seed and Miller has not been to a final four.

And it took a Calipari team with about 27 McDonald's All Americans on it and a last second three pointer to hand Marshall his team's only loss a few years back.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Because i think Marshall is a far superior basketball coach. He has dominated at every level he has coached at. He took WSU to a final four as well as being a#1 seed and Miller has not been to a final four.

I'd love to have Marshall, but our first priority should be getting rid of Crean. I truly think we'll win the next 5 before getting blasted in the Sweet 16. Tom's ego will then be firing full throttle and he'll be pushing for an extension. The Indy Star and people like Dakich, Katz, and Vitale will be gushing over what a great job he's done. Glass made another colossal gaff by not letting him go like NCST and Missouri did with its coaches.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Marshall would be an excellent hire. His resume is outstanding, and his recruiting upside is largely unknown considering the schools he has coached. I can imagine him standing on the sidelines in Assembly hall for his first game when his team forces a shot clock violation. The building would literally explode.

Quick question. Are unknown, anonymous posters on the Missouri board more reliable or less reliable than unknown, anonymous posters on the Indiana board?
Tiger Board is not as reliable as the Rivals website "Power Mizzou" offers. I am not familiar with the poster in question on TB. Good luck to Indiana today as you face Wisconsin.

What levels has he dominated at? Low major and mid major? Marshall has been past the Sweet 16 once his entire career. Sound familiar? Sean has been past it 4 times, is younger than Marshall, and is a top 5 recruiter. There's a reason Marshall hasn't had any big job offers (elite programs not just power conference). This isn't even a debate.

I'd love to have Marshall, but our first priority should be getting rid of Crean. I truly think we'll win the next 5 before getting blasted in the Sweet 16. Tom's ego will then be firing full throttle and he'll be pushing for an extension. The Indy Star and people like Dakich, Katz, and Vitale will be gushing over what a great job he's done. Glass made another colossal gaff by not letting him go like NCST and Missouri did with its coaches.
Rest assured that's not going to happen. Tom Crean has coached in something like 30 tournaments in his career and has never won a single one. He's not going to start now.

Rest assured that's not going to happen. Tom Crean has coached in something like 30 tournaments in his career and has never won a single one. He's not going to start now.

Well, there were two yuge victories this past year that most people never expected, so don't jinx us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT