ADVERTISEMENT

Shooters, shooters, shooters

DDE-6-20-23

Redshirt
Feb 15, 2024
I know it's not breaking news but for gawds sakes get some damn shooters in here. Watched Colorado-Florida last night watching Kansas Zags right now. From bench players to every position on the floor everyone can shoot and hit from beyond the arc, mid range and can make lay-ups. I hope like hell whoever comes on board is averaging big numbers with some high percentages.

I'll throw in my five bucks into the NIL pool. I believe in this program. Gotta put my money where my mouth is.

Indiana players used to be able to shoot. Now even the ones we recruit from the state, can't. Bizarre. Yes, please get shooters. Heck, right now, get most of a team.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
I know it's not breaking news but for gawds sakes get some damn shooters in here. Watched Colorado-Florida last night watching Kansas Zags right now. From bench players to every position on the floor everyone can shoot and hit from beyond the arc, mid range and can make lay-ups. I hope like hell whoever comes on board is averaging big numbers with some high percentages.
I'm sure all of our guys were good shooters before they got here. The question is, what happened?

I doubt our coaches intentionally recuit poor shooters. Is it possible it's our coaches? Our offense? Maybe a little of both?
High school bball masks a lot of weaknesses. Otherwise, all of these guys at P5 schools would be stars.
It takes a keen recruiting eye to know which ones are real shooters that will translate to college bball. IU doesn’t have any real shooters. And IU doesn’t have any recruiters with a keen eye.

High school bball masks a lot of weaknesses. Otherwise, all of these guys at P5 schools would be stars.
It takes a keen recruiting eye to know which ones are real shooters that will translate to college bball. IU doesn’t have any real shooters. And IU doesn’t have any recruiters with a keen eye.
What exactly is a keen eye?

What exactly is a keen eye?
keen :

a
: intellectually alert : having or characteristic of a quick penetrating mind
a keen student

a keen awareness of the problem

also : shrewdly astute
a keen assessment

b
: extremely sensitive in perception
keen eyes

a keen sense of smell

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
keen :

a
a keen student

a keen assessment

b
keen eyes

a keen sense of smell
Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp were considered great shooters before they got here. What happened?

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
Wow.....Kansas just got manhandled by the Zags without the common courtesy of a reach-around.....We are truly in a different galaxy than the big boys of college basketball. It's mind-boggling.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes. But my point is, don't you think it may have something to do with our coaching?
We don't seem to correct some basics such as moving sideways on a shot. Square up. I don't know what our coaches teach. Intelligent kids should have enough coaching by high school to understand form. Then it's just hours of conscious practice.

keen :

a
a keen student

a keen assessment

b
keen eyes

a keen sense of smell
I can smell the three pointers already!

Tominaga was on no one’s radar when at the TX school. Anyone know of Grohlke before Thursday? Time for the staff to take a deep dive into possibilities
The kid from Oakland played 5 yearsof D2 hoops and started 1. If he was offered a scholly at IU a year ago this place would have had a melt down!!!

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
The kid from Oakland played 5 yearsof D2 hoops and started 1. If he was offered a scholly at IU a year ago this place would have had a melt down!!!
Depends on who the coach is...When Bobby brought in some JUCOs (Keith Smart and Dean Garrett.....sure, people had questions. But they expected RMK to answer those questions.....and he did.

Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp were considered great shooters before they got here. What happened?
Why are you so lazy? Try the google machine. It’s amazing.
Stewart shot 39.2% from 3 in his year at IU. Best of his career.
Kopp shot 44% from 3 his last year. Best of his career. They were good shooters before they arrived and good shooters at IU. Woodson didn’t break their shot. He just ran a crappy offense and didn’t recruit enough other good shooters.

Kopp did shoot well his final year. Agree the coaches didn't harm him. I don't think they reduce shooting ability. Not sure they teach it well. But I also find it hard to believe any coach teaches it much differently from others. There's form, and then a lot of work.
Sometimes we seem lax on the form part. But I'm not in the bleachers at practice,

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Kopp shot 44% from 3 his last year. Best of his career. They were good shooters before they arrived and good shooters at IU. Woodson didn’t break their shot. He just ran a crappy offense and didn’t recruit enough other good shooters.
I think that's his point lol.

I doubt our coaches intentionally recuit poor shooters. Is it possible it's our coaches? Our offense? Maybe a little of both?
Maybe the strength and conditioning program factors in as well…iirc someone posted a stat showing a continuing decline in IU’s shooting that pretty much paralleled the tenure of the current S&C staff

Free throw shooting was horrible and only Mgbako and Walker were decent. Last in the BT as a team. What I can't understand is the coaching staff has three of the best shooters to play in the Big Ten, Woodson, Cheaney and Hulls. How can the team be so bad with coaches who know shooting?

• Wow
Reactions: nichlee and BigMobe
Maybe the strength and conditioning program factors in as well…iirc someone posted a stat showing a continuing decline in IU’s shooting that pretty much paralleled the tenure of the current S&C staff
So you're sayin' that Woody's chiropractor isn't cutting the mustard? Dude worked wonders on his golf swing.

Try to keep up. He was implying that the IU coaches somehow broke the shooters. Or reduced their ability to shoot. They didn’t.
Lol, ok...I'll try to keep up 🙄. You said it yourself...Woodson's offense reduced their ability to shoot. Pretty sure that's what he is getting at...try to pick fights with people without projecting what you think they are "implying". Maybe, you know, ask him instead of assuming intentions.

Tominaga was on no one’s radar when at the TX school. Anyone know of Grohlke before Thursday? Time for the staff to take a deep dive into possibilities
Hear Iowa State’s Momcilovic visited IU twice and Woody backed off. After seeing him today, hard to believe he wouldn’t have been the best shooter on the team. What a sweet stroke!!

Well, there's that but I was hoping for something substantial...and then I remembered this is IU basketball.
Indiana's "squatter laws" has a 10 year window (then the squatter has legal protections). We've got 7 years to figure this thing out.

Lol, ok...I'll try to keep up 🙄. You said it yourself...Woodson's offense reduced their ability to shoot. Pretty sure that's what he is getting at...try to pick fights with people without projecting what you think they are "implying". Maybe, you know, ask him instead of assuming intentions.
Reduced the volume and quality of shots. Didn’t reduce their functional ability to shoot. Again - reading comprehension clearly not your strength.

Hear Iowa State’s Momcilovic visited IU twice and Woody backed off. After seeing him today, hard to believe he wouldn’t have been the best shooter on the team. What a sweet stroke!!
I didn't recognize the name from recruiting so I looked him up and Indiana isn't listed with teams recruiting him and I can't find any articles linking him and Indiana. When were the rumored visits?

You need more than 2. Other than Mgbako no one on this roster projects as a volume 3 point maker. You need 5 on your roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT