ADVERTISEMENT

UConn

Middawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2020
Looking them over.

Their "All American" candidate Clingan was a backup last season averaging 13 mpg. Likely due to time spent injured this Oct, he's averaged just 18 mpg in their three cupcakes this season.

Seems like taking the offense at him early and often to draw fouls would tip the scales in IUs favor.

Their backup big appears to be a serviceable upperclassman. Not much interior depth beyond these two it appears.

Karaban, a 6' 8" wing that can shoot the three very well, 40% last season. Whomever checks him on IU, probably by committee, needs to keep him under 30.

Spencer, SG from Rutgers ,- very good but streaky outside shooter. Need Trey to live in his underwear for 40 min.

Newton. 5apg, Senior PG, good shooter last season, 36% from 3 on 120+ attempts. He will let it fly, leaving him wide open, probably not a good idea.

Ball - Freshman guard that hasn't shot well in 3 cupcake games.

Bench - hard to say what role they will play in a game that's not a Kenpom 300+ game.

Looking them over.

Their "All American" candidate Clingan was a backup last season averaging 13 mpg. Likely due to time spent injured this Oct, he's averaged just 18 mpg in their three cupcakes this season.

Seems like taking the offense at him early and often to draw fouls would tip the scales in IUs favor.

Their backup big appears to be a serviceable upperclassman. Not much interior depth beyond these two it appears.

Karaban, a 6' 8" wing that can shoot the three very well, 40% last season. Whomever checks him on IU, probably by committee, needs to keep him under 30.

Spencer, SG from Rutgers ,- very good but streaky outside shooter. Need Trey to live in his underwear for 40 min.

Newton. 5apg, Senior PG, good shooter last season, 36% from 3 on 120+ attempts. He will let it fly, leaving him wide open, probably not a good idea.

Bench - hard to say what role they will play in a game that's not a Kenpom 300+ game.
Hopefully their 40% shooter won't become a 60% shooter, their 36% shooter become a 50% shooter and their 20% shooter become a 100% shooter when we play them.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I am afraid it will get ugly.
I have nothing to base this on but I wonder if many of the players thing they can magically turn it on when confronted by tougher competition. Bad attitude if true.

Looking them over.

Clingan is a big piece of human being. They have won their games by 40 pts so yeah no reason to leave him in and take the injury risk.

If we continue to play defense how we have early on...Karaban, Spencer, Newton, Castle, etc... will absolutely kill us. And their bigs are stout enough that I'm not sure our interior efficiencies, that have allowed us to overcome getting killed on the perimeter thus far...it won't cover us. We'll get thumped.

If, somehow, the UConn challenge sharpens our focus and resolve, and we can guard the perimeter better, we'll be able to compete.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Clingan is a big piece of human being. They have won their games by 40 pts so yeah no reason to leave him in and take the injury risk.

He was limited in minutes due to getting back from injury and playing himself back into shape.

Castle is out with a knee injury.
Man...we're dodging key guys seems like every game. Just take his name out of my list, and it still applies. They have lots of capable shooters playing Sunday. Not sure they'll hit any MORE threes against us than the first 3 opponents...the difference will be we won't dominate the points in the paint, in all likelihood, like we did first 3 games.

Reactions: ulrey
He played 23 minutes last game and no doubt if they needed him he could have played longer.

He was in the game with 3 min remaining when they were up 32.

No doubt he is playing his way back into shape.

Sending him to the bench with fouls is the mission.

He was in the game with 3 min remaining when they were up 32.

No doubt he is playing his way back into shape.

Sending him to the bench with fouls is the mission.
Do you think they would have limited him to 23 minutes if a close game?

Sit your butt down-your time is up.

We are averaging 68% from the stripe.....and 27% from beyond the arc. Tells me that UConn can isolate Ware and double down on him if necessary to limit his production....not afraid to foul IU....nor any reason to extend the defense. IU has to hit its shots in this game. That means IU has to take good shots...not the prayers being thrown up against Wright State. IU was standing around in the half court. The only real movement was in transition. This made the passing game less effective and triggered turnovers. I don't expect to see an RMK motion and ball movement game...they couldn't do it anyway. I do think there needs to be more motion, screening and getting open for the ball. Shooters? Well, what you see is you get.

We have to limit Cam Spencer from 3. Otherwise UConn is very balanced with 5 guys averaging double figures (not sure if Castle will play). They strike me as each player applies relentless pressure both offensively and defensively so high energy level individually and so as a team.

Shut Spencer down, don’t be bothered by their pressure, hit some shots, and we could be in the game. Sometimes Trey hits another gear in big games so if he gets a couple steals and fast break buckets it will help enormously. I think everyone sees the same thing-get out on the break every chance possible.

Also-get Sparks on the line-his foul shots are so bad maybe it will be contagious and effect their shooting.

Last edited:
Looking them over.

Clingan would have been a first round draft pick if he had gone pro after his freshman year but he's a young kid and he really is having fun at UConn. I think if the Hoosiers take the ball at him he's going to get a lot of blocks.
I believe UConn will run their offense through him at the top of the key which is something that I think Woody wants to do at Indiana. Race was not afraid to shoot the three pointer but he couldn't make them and Trayce was just afraid to be more than 10 feet away from the basket. Clingan is 7 ft 2 but on offense faces the basket.

If we continue to play defense how we have early on...Karaban, Spencer, Newton, Castle, etc... will absolutely kill us. And their bigs are stout enough that I'm not sure our interior efficiencies, that have allowed us to overcome getting killed on the perimeter thus far...it won't cover us. We'll get thumped.

If, somehow, the UConn challenge sharpens our focus and resolve, and we can guard the perimeter better, we'll be able to compete.
We have KELEL

Is there any IU Alumni function in Manhattan before the game?
I’m just visiting NYC and going to the game.

IU vs UConn?

Let’s just say that the IU football team had better chances against Michigan in The Big House this fall.

This is Kansas game last year all over again.

If IU were to lose by 10 or less, consider that monumental for the program because of how good UConn is,
However, as Al Pacino said: “Any Given Sunday.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT