ADVERTISEMENT

14-21 from 3…

Trivia Question: Who holds the all-time one game FT% in an NCAA tournament game?
You mean FG%? I'd imagine there are several hundred folks who have a 100% FT % for one game. And again, there are going to be a bunch of folks who made every shot they took for one game.

I was looking for the trivia answer and came across a couple of ridiculous numbers:

In a 2001 Elite 8 game, Arizona beat Illinois 87-81 while going 43 of 56 from the free throw line. Holy Sh!t.

In a 2019 Elite 8 game, Purdue took 59 3-point FG Attempts. (UVA beat Purdue 80-75 in OT)

I was looking for the trivia answer and came across a couple of ridiculous numbers:

In a 2001 Elite 8 game, Arizona beat Illinois 87-81 while going 43 of 56 from the free throw line. Holy Sh!t.

In a 2019 Elite 8 game, Purdue took 59 3-point FG Attempts. (UVA beat Purdue 80-75 in OT)
That was Purdue's real chance. Carson Edwards and the goofy white kid with bad hair (happens a lot at PU) were on fire. UVA was just ultra-talented and they had a serious coaching advantage. ;)

Correction: For some reason Sasha didn't play much. It was all Edwards. I actually felt minimally sorry for the kid.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

You combined both 3PA for Purdue and UVA.

Purdue was 14-32 and UVA was 9-27.

That sounds reasonable. Wiki just listed as most in a game and had Purdue in bold, and Virginia wasn’t. Now I’m wondering if Arizona shot 56 free throws or if that was a total (again, Arizona was bolded, but Illinois was not).
I looked and you were right on zona!

I was at the Purdue game and def woulda remembered 59 3s haha….Carsen would have shot 50 of them if that were the case haha

Ding ding ding! This was actually an age/memory test. Youngun’s had no chance on this. Neither would most of us more experienced fans who are suffering a bit of memory haziness.

Shaq was in a zone that defied all logic.
I remember that game clearly. Knight let Shaq get his ... and shut down pretty much everyone else.

Purdue was 14-21 from three tonight against a horrible Michigan team that threw in the towel about five minutes in.

Would any of you bet $100 that our best shooter (pick your player) could go 14-21 in practice, with no one guarding him? I’m not sure we have a person that makes 10 of 21 in an empty gym.

Board is dead with a week between our games, but apologies in advance for the OT post.
Jordan Hulls probably could.

Watching the highlights, looks like Purdue was shooting wide open 3’s against the vaunted Michigan defense. Might as well been practice.
Sounds familiar! Just like when Purdue stuck 5 players in the paint and said shoot practice threes against us. Hahahahaha

If you have forgotten, iu shot 8-24 - 33%. Wide open practice 3's

Isn’t that hard to do with other players shooting at the same pregame warmup?
You might think. I've witnessed the same thing at a women's game though. Makenzie Holmes has only made one 3.pt shot this season, but she was draining them one after another in pregame.

You might think. I've witnessed the same thing at a women's game though. Makenzie Holmes has only made one 3.pt shot this season, but she was draining them one after another in pregame.
I remember Zeller knocking down three after three in pregame shoot arounds, (And, if I'm not mistaken, he won the 3-point contest at Hoosier Hysteria one year.) However, I don't think he ever launched one in a college game.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I remember Zeller knocking down three after three in pregame shoot arounds, (And, if I'm not mistaken, he won the 3-point contest at Hoosier Hysteria one year.) However, I don't think he ever launched one in a college game.
I'm having flashbacks to the Syracuse game where he wouldn't let fly with a 12-15 foot wide open look.

After watching these guys in person yesterday, I’m now confident that the answer to this question is a resounding “NO”. There may be only one or two that could make 14-21 free throws in practice.

Pathetic shooting for any program, let alone for a program that used to pride itself on playing the game the right way and being excellent fundamentally.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT