ADVERTISEMENT

14-21 from 3…

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
Purdue was 14-21 from three tonight against a horrible Michigan team that threw in the towel about five minutes in.

Would any of you bet $100 that our best shooter (pick your player) could go 14-21 in practice, with no one guarding him? I’m not sure we have a person that makes 10 of 21 in an empty gym.

Board is dead with a week between our games, but apologies in advance for the OT post.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic -- although it involves Indiana, Purdue, and 3-point shooting -- the IU Women made 15 of 23 3-pointers at Purdue on Sunday.

No, I would not go $100 with anyone on the Men's team.
Just for fun, I'd take Mbako and bet $25 he makes 14 of 21 from straight out.

Back to the Women, I'd bet $100 that Scalia, Parrish (healthy), or Garzon would hit 14 of 21. Heck, I'd bet that all 3 could do it sequentially. The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am that we don't have a single Mens player I would pick over any of the three of them.

Slightly off topic -- although it involves Indiana, Purdue, and 3-point shooting -- the IU Women made 15 of 23 3-pointers at Purdue on Sunday.

No, I would not go $100 with anyone on the Men's team.
Just for fun, I'd take Mbako and bet $25 he makes 14 of 21 from straight out.

Back to the Women, I'd bet $100 that Scalia, Parrish (healthy), or Garzon would hit 14 of 21. Heck, I'd bet that all 3 could do it sequentially. The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am that we don't have a single Mens player I would pick over any of the three of them.
With the small ball used in the women’s game Sparks would be a deadly free throw shooter. Well…maybe not.

Purdue was 14-21 from three tonight against a horrible Michigan team that threw in the towel about five minutes in.

Would any of you bet $100 that our best shooter (pick your player) could go 14-21 in practice, with no one guarding him? I’m not sure we have a person that makes 10 of 21 in an empty gym.

Board is dead with a week between our games, but apologies in advance for the OT post.
In practice? I've seen (actually counted) Mgbako make 11 in a row from straight out in pregame warmups so yeah, I'll take Mac for $100

We are not a bad 3 point shooting team. Our percentages have gotten much better last few months. The overwhelming problem is that we don’t take enough. We take almost as many long twos as we do threes. Woody needs an analytics guy more than anyone in college bball. But he would actually have to listen to him.

We are not a bad 3 point shooting team. Our percentages have gotten much better last few months. The overwhelming problem is that we don’t take enough. We take almost as many long twos as we do threes. Woody needs an analytics guy more than anyone in college bball. But he would actually have to listen to him.
If they just stepped back a foot the takes go way up. How many foot over the line shots have we taken?

Speaking of PUrdouche...

Is Braden Smith the best guard in the B10? Would have had a triple double last night if the game were any closer. Its gonna be very interesting to see what he looks like next year without Edey. I think assists will naturally be down, probably efficiency too, but he's REALLY damn good.

Just like I said he was 30 seconds in to his college career last year...sorry, couldn't resist.

I'd absolutely take that bet. I've seen guys draining 3s and barely hitting rim all during warmups throughout the year.

I'd expose 200. Leal, Ware, MM, X, Trey, 2 of the 5 would accomplish winning that challenge. IU is so focused on offense in the paint that there is no expansion of same outside 16'. X injuries feeding his bipolar play magnify that fact. Gunn must continue to develop, lower being mistake prone and grow confidence. I don't see much Coach Woodson can do to speed up or change the dynamics.

I'd absolutely take that bet. I've seen guys draining 3s and barely hitting rim all during warmups throughout the year.
I don't think people realize how "good" even bad shooters are in the gym, unguarded. Yes, MM, XJ, TG, AL, GC, KW and probably MR would all make 14-21 in a gym unguarded, imo.

Heck, I remember the video of TJD draining outside shots, and it didn't looked spliced, but I would've guessed he was making 75-80%.

I don't think people realize how "good" even bad shooters are in the gym, unguarded. Yes, MM, XJ, TG, AL, GC, KW and probably MR would all make 14-21 in a gym unguarded, imo.

Heck, I remember the video of TJD draining outside shots, and it didn't looked spliced, but I would've guessed he was making 75-80%.
I don't know that it matters...all that matters is how they can shoot in games for IU...

But yes, for sure, they're all "elite" shooters in the grand scheme of things. Anyone on here that's entertaining the notion that these guys wouldn't destroy them, or their kid, or some local hero of theirs...in pretty much any type of shooting contest...well, that's cute.

I don't know that it matters...all that matters is how they can shoot in games for IU...

But yes, for sure, they're all "elite" shooters in the grand scheme of things. Anyone on here that's entertaining the notion that these guys wouldn't destroy them, or their kid, or some local hero of theirs...in pretty much any type of shooting contest...well, that's cute.
it doesn't matter, it's just that someone asked if we'd take the bet for any of our guys to make 14-21 unguarded in a gym. Yes, I'd take that bet with about everyone I listed. About the only guy who I'd not take it with is Sparks and maybe Walker.

it doesn't matter, it's just that someone asked if we'd take the bet for any of our guys to make 14-21 unguarded in a gym. Yes, I'd take that bet with about everyone I listed. About the only guy who I'd not take it with is Sparks and maybe Walker.
Guessing Walker would too, most of the time. His form and stroke are fine. He's just not a comfortable outside shooter in game situations. Maybe not Sparks...but just casually shooting around?? I bet he could too. Not sure most on here realize just how many shots these guys take a day, and how much bball they've all been playing most of their lives.

Hell no I wouldn't take the bet, but I might if you let me choose from the Lady Hoosiers!

Guessing Walker would too, most of the time. His form and stroke are fine. He's just not a comfortable outside shooter in game situations. Maybe not Sparks...but just casually shooting around?? I bet he could too. Not sure most on here realize just how many shots these guys take a day, and how much bball they've all been playing most of their lives.
Yeah, I wasn't saying Walker wouldn't make it, in fact I think he probably would, I just wouldn't take a bet on it. And agree on Sparks, I think he'd beat everyone on here in a game of horse on 3 pt shots, except for the very best shooter(s) here.

I've seen a couple bits about this. Someone who thought they could beat Shaq shooting FTs and Shaq made 7 or 8 out of 10 and beat them. And then there's somebody who does videos on that... former NBA journeyman who plays guys who think they can beat him 1 on 1 (because he "sucks") and he usually beats them like 10-0 or 10-1 or something.

I've seen a couple bits about this. Someone who thought they could beat Shaq shooting FTs and Shaq made 7 or 8 out of 10 and beat them. And then there's somebody who does videos on that... former NBA journeyman who plays guys who think they can beat him 1 on 1 (because he "sucks") and he usually beats them like 10-0 or 10-1 or something.
Mark Madsen I believe used to do that all the time. He would say that he was closer to Lebron than normal dudes were to him, and that is 100% accurate.

That said, I would bet the entire roster probably knocks down 14-21 in shooting drills

You've never played basketball shot a ball or been to a practice and it shows. Shooting percentages go up drastically in practice situations. Some coaches demand 75% in practice before you can shoot them in a game.

Your post is dumb please delete your account.

TIA

Last edited:
Speaking of PUrdouche...

Is Braden Smith the best guard in the B10? Would have had a triple double last night if the game were any closer. Its gonna be very interesting to see what he looks like next year without Edey. I think assists will naturally be down, probably efficiency too, but he's REALLY damn good.

Just like I said he was 30 seconds in to his college career last year...sorry, couldn't resist.
I saw a post on here recently that compare Cupps to Smith and said they are basically the same except Cupps has more basketball IQ. I’m waiting to see it.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
We may not shoot well in games, but in practice our guys make almost everything, they’re still really good.

Yeah, I wasn't saying Walker wouldn't make it, in fact I think he probably would, I just wouldn't take a bet on it. And agree on Sparks, I think he'd beat everyone on here in a game of horse on 3 pt shots, except for the very best shooter(s) here.
Maybe. But I’d guess there are a few around here that could take his lunch money in a free throw contest.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Watching the highlights, looks like Purdue was shooting wide open 3’s against the vaunted Michigan defense. Might as well been practice.

Maybe. But I’d guess there are a few around here that could take his lunch money in a free throw contest.
Now that may be, because FT shooting is such a rote thing. But, like I said, the first time I saw it was someone vs Shaq, who at times looked every bit as bad shooting FTs and Shaq won. I bet in a gym, he shoots much better from the FT line too, but I'd agree, there are folks here who could beat him on FTs. But I also bet, not many.

Now that may be, because FT shooting is such a rote thing. But, like I said, the first time I saw it was someone vs Shaq, who at times looked every bit as bad shooting FTs and Shaq won. I bet in a gym, he shoots much better from the FT line too, but I'd agree, there are folks here who could beat him on FTs. But I also bet, not many.
Trivia Question: Who holds the all-time one game FT% in an NCAA tournament game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT