ADVERTISEMENT

Fouls, B10 stars and the fading light in March

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
I was searching for some sources to see individual foul rate data, and stumbled upon this article from last winter. It brings up a few interesting topics, which I think are intrinsically tied together for B10 fans (fouls and physical play, especially in the B10 and how the B10 does in the tournament).

Some quotes:

“Through Saturday’s games, teams were being whistled for an average of 16.6 fouls per game, according to faktorsports.com. If that pace holds up, it will be the lowest average in the history of the sport…”

Jay Bilas (on the competition committee):
“There’s more clutching and grabbing on cutters. Guys are being allowed to blow up dribble handoffs. Too many arm bars away from the post. The officials aren’t calling what they were calling two or three years ago, and the coaches are teaching to that.”

“Needless to say, this storyline will provide fodder for cynics if the Big Ten underperforms yet again in the NCAA Tournament. The league has famously not produced a national champion since Michigan State cut down the nets in 2000. Last year was an especially embarrassing pratfall, as the Big Ten placed nine teams in the bracket (four were seeded No. 2 or higher), and yet just one (Michigan) reached the second weekend.”

“Still, the reality is that in the history of college basketball, no league has ever produced this much individual star power. Perhaps that light will fade in March, but for the time being, I say let it shine, let it shine.”

I'm hot/cold on Bilas...sometimes I love listening to him, but sometimes his Dook-i-ness shines through. We'll see if the foul ratio continues or if the zebras reign in the thug ball. No one can be happier than Rutgers, Buckyball and Izzo.

I'm hot/cold on Bilas...sometimes I love listening to him, but sometimes his Dook-i-ness shines through. We'll see if the foul ratio continues or if the zebras reign in the thug ball. No one can be happier than Rutgers, Buckyball and Izzo.
He has an ACC bias, but he’s on the competition committee. I thought his comments were relevant (despite what anyone might think of him as an announcer).

He has an ACC bias, but he’s on the competition committee. I thought his comments were relevant (despite what anyone might think of him as an announcer).
Arrogant, but usually dead on, especially when it comes to the NCAA. If those are his words above, I'm surprised to see the comment about the B10 producing the best individual talent of all time. I'm sure every conference (and UCLA) could put together a pretty impressive all-star roster, but right off the top of my head, I might give the ACC the edge.

Arrogant, but usually dead on, especially when it comes to the NCAA. If those are his words above, I'm surprised to see the comment about the B10 producing the best individual talent of all time. I'm sure every conference (and UCLA) could put together a pretty impressive all-star roster, but right off the top of my head, I might give the ACC the edge.
No, it’s a Seth Davis article. Bilas had the quote that I attributed to him. The part about the Big ten wasn’t his quote. But, if you read the article the quote was based on number of all Americans and how (in January) the B10 had a chance to have the most ever on the first team.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT