ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone listen to the Sleepers podcast?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Guys have pretty good podcast, focusing on the B10 but also college bball in general. I think one is an MSU fan and the other UM, but they do a good job of covering the entire league, and it's good to hear about all the programs, and they definitely do not have an IU bias. One said he doesn't think IU will make the tourney and I think that a successful season would be sweeping PU again. Whereas for PU he said they need to win both the league and B10 tournament, Edey NPOY and make a F4, so they are all in on the Boilers! Anyway, I guess Mason Gillis was being Mason Gillis and said he could accept losing to IU twice to get a B10 ring. What a doofus; wouldn't it be easier to win a B10 title if you didn't get swept by your rival? I guess Edey was wearing his Big 10 rings on a chain at a football game too. I guess that's how they're dealing with the disappointment that was Fairleigh Dickinson, but playing up how much the B10 title means to them. Purdue being Purdue!

Guys have pretty good podcast, focusing on the B10 but also college bball in general. I think one is an MSU fan and the other UM, but they do a good job of covering the entire league, and it's good to hear about all the programs, and they definitely do not have an IU bias. One said he doesn't think IU will make the tourney and I think that a successful season would be sweeping PU again. Whereas for PU he said they need to win both the league and B10 tournament, Edey NPOY and make a F4, so they are all in on the Boilers! Anyway, I guess Mason Gillis was being Mason Gillis and said he could accept losing to IU twice to get a B10 ring. What a doofus; wouldn't it be easier to win a B10 title if you didn't get swept by your rival? I guess Edey was wearing his Big 10 rings on a chain at a football game too. I guess that's how they're dealing with the disappointment that was Fairleigh Dickinson, but playing up how much the B10 title means to them. Purdue being Purdue!

Don’t sound very objective to me…

Reactions: sglowrider

If IU misses the NCAAT, HUGE disappointment.

HUGE

Those guys dog Indiana 95% of the time.

If you want to bend over and take that, I guess they provide a variety of info and opinions on the Big Ten.
well, in the short time I've listened to them, they haven't dogged IU, they just haven't talked about us much, which given the national perspective for this team, is about right (we're picked around 6th in the B10 and in the 30s nationally). I think the rest of the B10's view is, IU just doesn't deserve the press they get for the results, and I think that's absolutely fair. The bottom line is IU brings viewers/readers/listeners which is a testament to our fans and history, not the current state of the program. I don't think that's unfair, but yes, compared to things like Hysterics, CrimsonCast and Assembly Call, they aren't going to highlight IU and so far, have provided a lot of information and insight into the rest of the conference and college bball. They seem to agree IU is on the bubble, with 1 thinking we won't make it and they are "all-in" on the PU hype... one said for a successful season they need to win the Conference, BTT, Edey NPOY and make a F4. I think way overhype, but given what they did last year and returned, understandable. I want all the expectations piled on the Boilers they can this year, as I think they're headed for a dip. But, they shared a ton of info on all the other B10 teams and I thought had a pretty solid viewpoint. I'm gonna keep listening.

If iu misses the NCAAT, that would be an epic fail for Woodson and a huge setup back to the program.

If iu misses the NCAAT, that would be an epic fail for Woodson and a huge setup back to the program.
Agreed, and I don't think they will, but I can understand someone who's not an IU fan having that view. Like I said, what I liked was hearing their view about all the other B10 programs and what they expected from them (the segment was they reviewed every B10 team and what would constitute a "successful season" for them.).

Greg, one of the hosts, stated recently on this podcast his opinion that X and Ware won't finish the season on IUs roster, inferring their desire/character was the reason

That's going way overboard to take a jab at IU and these young men imo.

Reactions: kkott
Because he is big and slow. Can't defend anyone with a little quickness, which is the entire NBA. A joke on national writer named him the #1 defender in college.
I bet Edey will stick around the NBA for a good while. He's limited, but the NBA is all about mismatches and I think someone will value him as a backup big for his low post scoring and ability to rebound and control the paint. Definitely not the current trend, but as more teams transition to smaller guys, his mismatch and advantage will increase. Plus, smart guy and hard worker.

Greg, one of the hosts, stated recently on this podcast his opinion that X and Ware won't finish the season on IUs roster, inferring their desire/character was the reason

Hadn't heard that and agree, that's a bizarre take. Both have given detractors reason to question, but that's a pretty extreme view.

Reactions: Middawg
Most think IU 5th or 6th in the Big..Even if we fall to 7th..
Indiana gets in the tournament...But we all know lot's of questions..
I'd take two monster verbals from McNeeley..Queen or Fland ..As super great news for the future of the program..

So, if the hosts were truly objective, weren't harboring any deep-seated anti-IU bias, and were just basing those comments on the past history of X's flakiness and Ware's underperformance his freshman year, that's fine. I then would assume they'd also voice cynicism that no matter what PU does in the regular season, they'll still flame out spectacularly in the tournament's first weekend, and that some player on MSU's squad will either beat up a female coed or land in jail. Based on past precedent, and all. You know, fair is fair...

Iu fans....Making fun of Purdue fans about winning the big ten and big ten tourney.
Also, IU fans.... Getting excited to beat Purdue twice.

Double standard??

Iu fans....Making fun of Purdue fans about winning the big ten and big ten tourney.
Also, IU fans.... Getting excited to beat Purdue twice.

Double standard??
To be fair, I never made fun of PU for winning a BT title or BTT crown... just for losing to FD!

But, yes, I also made fun of goofy Mason Gillis for saying he'd accept getting swept by IU to get a B10 ring. The two aren't mutually exclusive. He was just trying too hard. Wonder how long he'd practiced saying that?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
To be fair, I never made fun of PU for winning a BT title or BTT crown... just for losing to FD!

But, yes, I also made fun of goofy Mason Gillis for saying he'd accept getting swept by IU to get a B10 ring. The two aren't mutually exclusive. He was just trying too hard. Wonder how long he'd practiced saying that?
And to be fair I said " IU fans"..

Must be a slow day at the barn.

In other news, Gillis just pump faked and passed up another wide open shot.

Reactions: ulrey
I bet Edey will stick around the NBA for a good while. He's limited, but the NBA is all about mismatches and I think someone will value him as a backup big for his low post scoring and ability to rebound and control the paint. Definitely not the current trend, but as more teams transition to smaller guys, his mismatch and advantage will increase. Plus, smart guy and hard worker.
NBA likes defense and Edey is outmatched in the PNR. The NBA isn’t about that big of a liability.

Agreed, and I don't think they will, but I can understand someone who's not an IU fan having that view. Like I said, what I liked was hearing their view about all the other B10 programs and what they expected from them (the segment was they reviewed every B10 team and what would constitute a "successful season" for them.).
Guard play still concerns me this year.

And to be fair I said " IU fans"..
Yes, but you replied to my post, as opposed to just commenting on the thread. You guys are really bad at that this stuff!

PS. Honestly, the only folks I've heard even talking about B10 titles are your players! I think everyone else recognizes how much less it means with the unbalanced schedules now. Well, I mean everyone that didn't get beaten by Fairleigh Dickinson.

Guard play still concerns me this year.
Absolutely, but I don't know that we're any thinner than last year. Basically Cupps instead of Tamar, after XJ got injured. Definitely was the only thing I'd ding CMW for not being able to address. But, if he gets anything out of Gunn and something out of one of the walk ons or Leal, we should be OK. But, I think the real hope for a successful season comes down to X staying healthy. I have high hopes for Cupps, but asking a freshman to step in and run a team is a tall order and not something even well prepared players are always ready to do.

NBA likes defense and Edey is outmatched in the PNR. The NBA isn’t about that big of a liability.
Oh, I see him as a spot/situational guy. Likely backup maybe if they go zone, or the other team has a frontline guy who's not a big threat to score, or when one of his teammates can cover a better post threat on the other team and he can sag on a guy who isn't. I think someone will take him with that intent.

Absolutely, but I don't know that we're any thinner than last year. Basically Cupps instead of Tamar, after XJ got injured. Definitely was the only thing I'd ding CMW for not being able to address. But, if he gets anything out of Gunn and something out of one of the walk ons or Leal, we should be OK. But, I think the real hope for a successful season comes down to X staying healthy. I have high hopes for Cupps, but asking a freshman to step in and run a team is a tall order and not something even well prepared players are always ready to do.

You left out JHS.

It’s the back up guard play that is concerning to me. It’s a “who steps up” type of bench. I’m not concerned with X or Trey. Their defense will be smothering at times.
Yes but both of them can be a little wreckless. When they play well they are really good but they can also be pretty bad at times

Yes but guard depth last year was an issue also.

kkott - love the right landed by that chick in ur sig. You just know the other bitch was talking shit & had it coming 😂😂😂

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Yeah, I think probably the best defensive backcourt in the conference. It will help Trey a ton having X to take the quicker guys. Really hope we get to see them vs Smith and Loyer this year!
It will be criminal what they do to that back court. Trey absolutely smothered Smith and he is no X. Loyer will be covered by Trey this year. X will make Smith look like a kid.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Oh, I see him as a spot/situational guy. Likely backup maybe if they go zone, or the other team has a frontline guy who's not a big threat to score, or when one of his teammates can cover a better post threat on the other team and he can sag on a guy who isn't. I think someone will take him with that intent.
I just don’t. He doesn’t do anything well enough by NBA standards for me to say even a flyer is taken. I mean Oscar got taken and he’s better suited for the NBA.

Yes, but you replied to my post, as opposed to just commenting on the thread. You guys are really bad at that this stuff!

PS. Honestly, the only folks I've heard even talking about B10 titles are your players! I think everyone else recognizes how much less it means with the unbalanced schedules now. Well, I mean everyone that didn't get beaten by Fairleigh Dickinson.
Yeah, IU sits around talking about not winning anything! Purdue has been to 4 sweet 16s in the last 6 years. Maybe your Dentist will give you a sucker, and you can accomplish something!

He was solid but not sure I would call him great.
Considering he was thrown into a role he wasn’t meant for. He shot it lights out when we needed him. He wasn’t supposed to play 30 plus minutes a game. He was stable when X and JHS weren’t. Is he a JHS or X type talent? Of course not.

Considering he was thrown into a role he wasn’t meant for. He shot it lights out when we needed him. He wasn’t supposed to play 30 plus minutes a game. He was stable when X and JHS weren’t. Is he a JHS or X type talent? Of course not.
But we need offense from the perimeter this year will he give it this year?

Last edited:
Galloway would be primary back-up for X. Biggest issue though, like last year, would be defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT