ADVERTISEMENT

F1: 2021/22 Season

They are the patriots of F1. You gotta respect the brilliance. If you listen to Reddit Merc figured something out at Silverstone relative to the engine/aero balance. I suspect they’ve continued refining that edge into something more akin to last years car. Which is scary for the next few years. Remember there’s no engine change until 2026.
Plus they will have Mr Saturday coming in next season.

Reactions: larsIU
I’m holding out hope Mclaren has gone all in on ‘22 since Monza whereas Ferrari, Red Bull, and Mercedes are still throwing everything at 21. A guy can wish.

I’m holding out hope Mclaren has gone all in on ‘22 since Monza whereas Ferrari, Red Bull, and Mercedes are still throwing everything at 21. A guy can wish.
It seems like the regs going forward are really focused on aero. Meaning the engine is going to be paramount. Woof. That Merc engine and its “modes” are something else.

So much talent but Max just ruins it with his attitude. And Horner is so bitter I’m surprised he hasn’t turned into a lemon. It also partially explains Max when you have a boss who enables him.
The worst mentor Max could've possibly have. So much talent but the wrong mentality and no coaching.

This last race its going to feel like the winner will be whoever survives the inevitable accident rather than who is the best driver.

Last edited:
I was at a swim meet trying to watch on my phone but what exactly happened when Lewis hit Max? Max slowed down in the middle of the road to let him by but it appeared Lewis slowed too??? I didn’t understand that one at all. And how the heck can you hit someone that hard and be ok? Lewis got lucky at Silvertone as well In a semi similar situation. Seems the stars are aligning for him.

I was at a swim meet trying to watch on my phone but what exactly happened when Lewis hit Max? Max slowed down in the middle of the road to let him by but it appeared Lewis slowed too??? I didn’t understand that one at all. And how the heck can you hit someone that hard and be ok? Lewis got lucky at Silvertone as well In a semi similar situation. Seems the stars are aligning for him.
Doesn’t appear the FIA told Mercedes’ quickly enough. Hamilton must have thought there was yet another VSC because Max slowed. Who knows. But what a finish it’s set up

I can imagine the trash-talking starting tomorrow. Ten months of tension exploding all at once.

This season's back2back races are perfect for this season's ending. By far, is the best season in decades.

All I know is Netflix management is rock hard right now.

I cannot wait to watch the upcoming season. Toto's breaking of the headset will certainly be the tip of the iceberg. The cool, reserved Austrian will be full of f-bombs for sure.

For all the drama, it didn't really alter the result. Hamilton would have easily won anyway. The medium tires on the Red Bull were only going to work out with another red flag, and that didn't happen. Hamilton was much faster down the stretch.

I don't think there will be much drama next week. Mercedes is just too fast. If Hamilton takes the pole...which I expect he will...this is over. He'll drive off and that's that. It would have been that way yesterday if not for the red flag.

Reactions: sglowrider
Over/Under on Verstappen ending up like Schumacher in 97

I for-see a Max dive bomb resulting in a double DNF at some point. Then what?
The feckless FIA will have to make a decision. Something they've been real shitty at this year for the most part.

I foresee the Court for Arbitration in Sport (CAS) getting involved.

Hopefully, like Hank says, for the good of the sport Hamilton gets the pole and says Sayonara

The feckless FIA will have to make a decision. Something they've been real shitty at this year for the most part.

I foresee the Court for Arbitration in Sport (CAS) getting involved.

Hopefully, like Hank says, for the good of the sport Hamilton gets the pole and says Sayonara
\Well, that would really depend on how egregious it is. Max could easily cause a collision without it being THAT obvious. See Imola, or Silverstone. Those were deemed caused by Max and Lewis respectively. None resulted in any more than the normal penalty associated with such an event. If the same happens next week, why would the penalties be any different? Verstappen didn't get any points back from Silverstone and Lewis kept his 25.

Even if it WAS egregious, I don't know of any penalty which would award Lewis points after a DNF. And he needs at least 1 point.

\Well, that would really depend on how egregious it is. Max could easily cause a collision without it being THAT obvious. See Imola, or Silverstone. Those were deemed caused by Max and Lewis respectively. None resulted in any more than the normal penalty associated with such an event. If the same happens next week, why would the penalties be any different? Verstappen didn't get any points back from Silverstone and Lewis kept his 25.

Even if it WAS egregious, I don't know of any penalty which would award Lewis points after a DNF. And he needs at least 1 point.
Yeah, I just think if it's egregious (the brake checking by Verstappen this past race was almost to that level) they could go 1997 on him. BUT, as you note, You'd have to pull points. Tough call. Shumacher didn't finish that race. Closer would probably be 1994 when Schumacher allegedly (haha totally) knocked Damon Hill out of the race. Neither finished and Schumacher won the championship by 1 pt. Schumacher wasn't penalized.

I hope that doesn't happen but I think of the two, Verstappen is more likely to put it in the steward's hands.

Yeah, I just think if it's egregious (the brake checking by Verstappen this past race was almost to that level) they could go 1997 on him. BUT, as you note, You'd have to pull points. Tough call. Shumacher didn't finish that race. Closer would probably be 1994 when Schumacher allegedly (haha totally) knocked Damon Hill out of the race. Neither finished and Schumacher won the championship by 1 pt. Schumacher wasn't penalized.

I hope that doesn't happen but I think of the two, Verstappen is more likely to put it in the steward's hands.

The incident last weekend was a result of both drivers shitting around. Max slowed before the DRS detection zone for strategic reasons, then Hamilton slowed down behind him because he didn't want to pass him there. He easily could have. But he was playing games too.

Check out the helicopter footage. There was no reason that Hamilton couldn't have safely passed Verstappen as slow as he was going. He just didn't want to do it there. That's partly on him for trying to be too cute.

Whatever. As I said above it didn't change the outcome. But the narrative that Lewis is blameless is ridiculous.

The incident last weekend was a result of both drivers shitting around. Max slowed before the DRS detection zone for strategic reasons, then Hamilton slowed down behind him because he didn't want to pass him there. He easily could have. But he was playing games too.

Check out the helicopter footage. There was no reason that Hamilton couldn't have safely passed Verstappen as slow as he was going. He just didn't want to do it there. That's partly on him for trying to be too cute.

Whatever. As I said above it didn't change the outcome. But the narrative that Lewis is blameless is ridiculous.

Oh not blameless. But verstappen clearly braked hard as Hamilton approached. As you said they were both too cheeky. I suspect a rule change next year.

Doesn’t appear the FIA told Mercedes’ quickly enough. Hamilton must have thought there was yet another VSC because Max slowed. Who knows. But what a finish it’s set up

I have watched this over and over and over. I don’t see how Max was penalized. He slowed down a lot! LH could’ve zipped around the left and been gone. The VSC argument doesn’t hold. There are lights and his dash. If it was all over DRS, that’s on LH.

I have watched this over and over and over. I don’t see how Max was penalized. He slowed down a lot! LH could’ve zipped around the left and been gone. The VSC argument doesn’t hold. There are lights and his dash. If it was all over DRS, that’s on LH.
Yeah, seems like both were being way too cheeky about the whole "not wanting to be first over the DRS line".

To your point, Hamilton should have just kept going 200 mph and said "see ya"

A recent interview with Max with De Telegraaf:

Max Verstappen about Lewis Hamilton: 'If I had been in his car, the season would have been decided long ago'

Translation:

The title contender who walks around in Abu Dhabi quietly and in anonymity? Forget it. Wherever Max Verstappen goes, the photographers and camera crews are never far away. Yet the Red Bull driver also walks around the Yas Marina Circuit as if all those snoopers do not exist. Focused and relaxed at the same time.

In the run-up to the Formula 1 final, his team keeps away from him as much as possible. In a special Zoom meeting, Verstappen spoke to no fewer than sixty journalists. Then he frees himself from his television obligations only for De Telegraaf time for an exclusive interview. One on one, at the back of the Red Bull Racing hospitality area.

You have been in Dubai for a few days this week. Have you calmed down a bit?

“Yes, I do. I don't have much trouble with that anyway. Everything that happens on the track does not affect my state of mind once I am home or elsewhere. I celebrated my girlfriend's birthday and my sister became a mother for the second time. It was really nice to read those messages and see pictures of the little one.”

The whole of the Netherlands seems to be working on this race and a possible title. Do you get something out of that?

“Of course, I sometimes get something forwarded. It's really beautiful to see. At the same time, I also try not to read too much. That's why I don't get everything, but I think that works the best. Everyone is looking forward to the final, but I approach this Grand Prix just like any other race. I always say, "You can't force things." Everyone knows that I will do my best and that I will always go the extra mile. I realize that people in the Netherlands generally hope I win. That's pretty normal. In England that will also be the case for him.”

You don't pronounce "Lewis Hamilton" and "Mercedes" anymore, I notice.

"That's right. That happens during a season like this. Too much has happened for that.”

Is that because of the race at Silverstone, when you crashed hard after a touché with Hamilton?

“Not just through that moment, but throughout the season. The image I have of certain people has changed. And no, not in a positive way. It doesn't matter to me, it's not that I hate it. But I've seen that when the pressure comes on, certain people show a different face. Then the true nature emerges.”

Do you think Hamilton is afraid of you?

“He will never admit that. At least I'm not afraid of him. Yeah, I think I'll make him nervous if he sees me in his mirrors. He's a different driver than me, less aggressive. He doesn't know how to race like I do. I can't blame him for that either, because he was never able to learn that like I did from my father." An equal number of points for the last race is almost unique. But do you think you are the best driver?

“I think you should be like that if you're a Formula 1 driver. So I say yes, absolutely! But I don't need to hear that from anyone else. I don't need that recognition. I find it much more important what I think myself, and what the people who are close to me think. If I had been in his car, the season would have been decided long ago.”

At Mercedes they characterize you as a super-aggressive driver, who will do everything to eliminate Hamilton. Do they have a point?

“I don't want to take him out, I want to beat him. That's another wording. Some people find me aggressive, others very aggressive and some people don't. I think I am myself. The last games I have to defend more, because we are a bit slower. I don't have the luxury of checking a lead or driving away now. And yes, I do everything I can to win. If I don't think like that, I'd better stay home. If I hadn't had that attitude, we wouldn't be here with an equal number of points. Then he was already champion.”

Do you have the idea that the FIA motorsport federation would rather Hamilton take his eighth world title?

“If you look at certain decisions, at least I don't feel they are on my side. At the last race in Saudi Arabia I am penalized and other drivers don't even have to approach the stewards after a similar situation. Why is it suddenly different for me? With today's knowledge, that blowout in Baku (Verstappen missed a victory that seems certain, ed.) has been extremely painful. In Hungary I was kicked out by his teammate (Valtteri Bottas, ed.) and at Silverstone by himself. I lost a lot of points there.”

“In England he was given a 10-second time penalty, but won the race. Now the FIA is apparently also working on a possible crash, because suddenly it is pointed out that you as a driver can then get points deduction. I think that's ridiculous. Now and then not, as he drove into me on purpose. The hype about the equal number of points doesn't interest me either. I should have been champion by now. Let me say that I have not been happy with decisions that have been made.”

Who, besides yourself, do you wish a title the most?

“Anyone who has contributed even a little bit to this can claim it from me. Of course my father for a huge part. Thanks to him I am here. In addition to the team Helmut Marko and Christian Horner and my race engineer Gianpiero; but actually, everyone within Red Bull has meant something to me. The Pex family has also been very important to me in the past. They are also present here in Abu Dhabi. If it would work, I think it would be great for them too.”

Wow, what a quali session. HAM is on the back foot for sure on the start. 1, 3, 4, and 5 all start on softs.

Wow, what a quali session. HAM is on the back foot for sure on the start. 1, 3, 4, and 5 all start on softs.

I feel like Mercedes have had better race pace recently. And Verstappen on the soft is not ideal. I still would put my cash on Hamilton. But at least with Max on pole and softs, it increases the likelihood of getting a clean start into T1 without a crash.

How about a 2 stop for RB and a 1 stop for Merc, and we see Verstappen chasing down Hamilton at the end on better tires. That would be drama.

This should make for an interesting finale. P1 on softs vs P2 on mediums. Strategy will play a huge part during the race. Looking forward to it.

I feel like Mercedes have had better race pace recently. And Verstappen on the soft is not ideal. I still would put my cash on Hamilton. But at least with Max on pole and softs, it increases the likelihood of getting a clean start into T1 without a crash.

How about a 2 stop for RB and a 1 stop for Merc, and we see Verstappen chasing down Hamilton at the end on better tires. That would be drama.

Who needs enemies when you have a Bottas in your team.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank Reardon
Who needs enemies when you have a Bottas in your team.

According to twitter he had to use an older PU this weekend, which seems odd considering how many he's used this season.

Next year the dynamic between Hamilton and Russell will be interesting. If Russell is consistently behind Lewis in pace it'll likely be OK. But if Russell is matching or exceeding Hamilton on the regular, might be fun to watch.

According to twitter he had to use an older PU this weekend, which seems odd considering how many he's used this season.

Next year the dynamic between Hamilton and Russell will be interesting. If Russell is consistently behind Lewis in pace it'll likely be OK. But if Russell is matching or exceeding Hamilton on the regular, might be fun to watch.

Who's your money on for tomorrow?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT