ADVERTISEMENT

F1: 2021/22 Season

Lewis deserved the race ? What about lap 1 ?

I don't think that really mattered. Lewis would have gotten the position back anyway. If you think about it, it likely helped Red Bull in the end as Lewis' big lead dictated the choices Red Bull made later. Max might not have pitted for softs at the end had they not been so far back. Then the last lap pass doesn't happen.

Max the unworthy champion. The FIA got their man. All it took was...

-dodgy half points awarded in Spa

-letting Max get away with inadequate punishment for dangerous driving multiple times

-moving cars out the way in the final race at the will of Red Bull.

What a joke!
Max lost probably 45-50 points at Baku and Silverstone. He’s no way an unworthy champion.

Reactions: jet812
Max the unworthy champion. The FIA got their man. All it took was...

-dodgy half points awarded in Spa

-letting Max get away with inadequate punishment for dangerous driving multiple times

-moving cars out the way in the final race at the will of Red Bull.

What a joke!

I'll say this, absent the tire at Baku and Bottas taking out the Red Bulls in Hungary, Max would have already won it. So yeah this one was a lucky break for them, but they had their own bad luck prior.

Max lost probably 45-50 points at Baku and Silverstone. At Monza Max was going to out point Lewis. He’s no way an unworthy champion.
Disagree on Monza. Baku is on Pierelli. Silverstone….yeah that’s on Hamilton about 70%

plus on Baku….max got LUCKY Hamilton didn’t grab 25 points

Disagree on Monza. Baku is on Pierelli. Silverstone….yeah that’s on Hamilton about 70%

plus on Baku….max got LUCKY Hamilton didn’t grab 25 points

Don't forget Hungary where Verstappen was taken out by Bottas.

Reactions: larsIU
I think it will be hard for Lewis to bring that effort again. I can’t imagine what that took out of him to claw back. I think he’ll eventually be involved in a team scuffle next year with Merc. That will be the one to watch in ‘22. We’ve seen 1 changing of the guard…could be a Mercedes changing of the guard about mid season next year.

Mercedes has officially protested the results. Two protests, I think. One on the Masi decision, and also they're saying that Max passed Lewis under the safety car.

The second would result on a penalty for Max (and Hamilton would win), and the former might simply void the last lap entirely (meaning Hamilton would win). I think the safety car thing is unlikely to produce a penalty. The Masi call for the lapped cars? I don't know. That would be major bit of controversy to essentially overturn the result and give the championship to Lewis.

Mercedes has officially protested the results. Two protests, I think. One on the Masi decision, and also they're saying that Max passed Lewis under the safety car.

The second would result on a penalty for Max (and Hamilton would win), and the former might simply void the last lap entirely (meaning Hamilton would win). I think the safety car thing is unlikely to produce a penalty. The Masi call for the lapped cars? I don't know. That would be major bit of controversy to essentially overturn the result and give the championship to Lewis.
The FIA have investigated the FIA’s decision and found the FIA did nothing wrong.

Signed,

The FIA

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
I just woke up and I am still fuming

But regardless of the competitors and what went before it, no championship should be decided in the way this one was today.

Max and Lewis were level peggings in the overall scheme of things. (1st half of the season was Max's and 2nd was Lewis'.)

So last night's race was supposedly 'best man on the day wins'.

That is not what we got in my opinion.

Wherever your allegiances lie, that was a complete farce --- and if 'entertainment' is going to come at the cost of sporting integrity going forward then F1 has lost.

Engineered drama and marketability won today.

The ramifications of this could be huge. Mercedes don't spend circa £500mil a season to go racing in F1 for some trumped-up race director to create his own rules.

Mercedes still won constructors. They still get all the money. They haven’t even publicly acknowledged that yet…which is so weird.

Mercedes still won constructors. They still get all the money. They haven’t even publicly acknowledged that yet…which is so weird.

I suspect it would be a legal reason why they have not done the mentioned. Toto hasn't done any post-race interviews either or I certainly cant find any?

I just woke up and I am still fuming

But regardless of the competitors and what went before it, no championship should be decided in the way this one was today.

Max and Lewis were level peggings in the overall scheme of things. (1st half of the season was Max's and 2nd was Lewis'.)

So last night's race was supposedly 'best man on the day wins'.

That is not what we got in my opinion.

Wherever your allegiances lie, that was a complete farce --- and if 'entertainment' is going to come at the cost of sporting integrity going forward then F1 has lost.

Engineered drama and marketability won today.
I suspect, as much as i abhor it, that a green/white/checker rule is going to come out. Or something to the effect that should a safety car emerge with less than 5 laps (or some % of race distance) it's a red flag and go from there.

Woulda been cool as hell had they red flagged this and put Max/Lewis on softs for the last 3 laps and said "go for it". The other drivers probably would have just lagged behind and let them go.

Woulda been cool as hell had they red flagged this and put Max/Lewis on softs for the last 3 laps and said "go for it". The other drivers probably would have just lagged behind and let them go.

Not if Lewis was on the same old 40lap tires while Max has a brand new soft.
Max would have won regardless.

Not if Lewis was on the same old 40lap tires while Max has a brand new soft.
Max would have won regardless.
Red flag means they both could have changed tires. Another stoopid F1 rule that, to be fair, helped both Max and Lewis this year (and should be 100% done away with).

The ramifications of this could be huge. Mercedes don't spend circa £500mil a season to go racing in F1 for some trumped-up race director to create his own rules.

I think the problem is that there is a section there which gives the race director full discretion over safety car issues. I seriously doubt that any challenge in the courts would produce what Mercedes wants. And even if they did get the win back 6 months from now, is that what they really want? Mercedes has won 7 championships is a row. To fight in court over another one would leave a bad taste behind.

Championships are lost in sports all the time on “bad calls.” They don’t end up in court though.

I think the problem is that there is a section there which gives the race director full discretion over safety car issues. I seriously doubt that any challenge in the courts would produce what Mercedes wants. And even if they did get the win back 6 months from now, is that what they really want? Mercedes has won 7 championships is a row. To fight in court over another one would leave a bad taste behind.

Championships are lost in sports all the time on “bad calls.” They don’t end up in court though.
I think Mercedes’ know they can’t change the outcome. But they sure as hell can get Masi fired. Honestly if the best that can come of this is the FIA hiring a new Race Dir and professional stewardship then I’m ok with it.

I think Mercedes’ know they can’t change the outcome. But they sure as hell can get Masi fired. Honestly if the best that can come of this is the FIA hiring a new Race Dir and professional stewardship then I’m ok with it.
someone who can handle pressure -- and not this cretin who contravenes the rules or changes his mind within 2 mins when badgered.

Masi has been a disaster this whole season. If Mercedes can force him out, more power to them.

I suspect, as much as i abhor it, that a green/white/checker rule is going to come out. Or something to the effect that should a safety car emerge with less than 5 laps (or some % of race distance) it's a red flag and go from there.
I don't think they'd ever do G/W/C due to no refueling in F1. No way would the FIA ever extend an event past it's scheduled distance. Teams fuel the cars so there is only enough for the mandatory 1 liter to analyze after the race. They'd have to make massive rule changes to extend past the scheduled distance...

I don't think they'd ever do G/W/C due to no refueling in F1. No way would the FIA ever extend an event past it's scheduled distance. Teams fuel the cars so there is only enough for the mandatory 1 liter to analyze after the race. They'd have to make massive rule changes to extend past the scheduled distance...
Good point. Probably more the latter scenario that if a crash occurs with less than 7% or something of race distance remaining they through the red flag. I don't like it. I would rather they just finish under yellow. Rules are rules, sometimes they help sometimes they hurt.

Such is life.

hit translate. Hilarious

also, Autosport article

Favorite parts

Speaking about the situation in his first official press conference at president, Sulayem said: "At the end of the day, rules are rules”

and

"Of course, we'll have to be also be following our rules. But in the meanwhile, it doesn't stop us from making a champion feel good about the sport, you know.”

Hamilton might just retire. They new FIA president probably doesn’t like his stance on racing in the ME

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sglowrider

hit translate. Hilarious

also, Autosport article

Favorite parts

Speaking about the situation in his first official press conference at president, Sulayem said: "At the end of the day, rules are rules”

and

"Of course, we'll have to be also be following our rules. But in the meanwhile, it doesn't stop us from making a champion feel good about the sport, you know.”

Hamilton might just retire. They new FIA president probably doesn’t like his stance on racing in the ME

Irony just killed itself.

Fyi. Brazilian Fabiana Ecclestone - wife of former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone - is new vice-president representing South America.

Last edited:
I can’t eyeroll enough. It’s turning into WWE

I suspect this was in the works after Liberty Media took over -- they will need to recoup their billions.
F1 is 60% of FIA's revenue stream after all. I suspect it will be more of a staged spectacle rather than a sporting event, going forward.

I suspect this was in the works after Liberty Media took over -- they will need to recoup their billions.
F1 is 60% of FIA's revenue stream after all. I suspect it will be more of a staged spectacle rather than a sporting event, going forward.
Lately I’ve gotten much more into endurance racing to be honest. I’m really hoping with Penske buying IMS that he can work in a 12 hour race there. Needs lights but that opens up possibilities for both NASCAR and Indy car running night races as well.

Lately I’ve gotten much more into endurance racing to be honest. I’m really hoping with Penske buying IMS that he can work in a 12 hour race there. Needs lights but that opens up possibilities for both NASCAR and Indy car running night races as well.

I still love WRC. But they seemed to have been affected by Covid a lot more than F1.
The skills required to drive WRC beats out F1 by a country mile.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT