ADVERTISEMENT

F1: 2021/22 Season

To challenge Red Bull? Would be great. F1 will be fun this year if you consider the fight for third as the actual championship.

Zac Brown's done a fantastic job there. Incremental improvements year on year. Plus now that they have a huge capital injection, they will be there to compete in the next few years for sure.

Maybe a reason why Red Bull decided to take over the Honda engine development too -- knowing that Maclaren is on the upswing once again, they can't just rely on the genius of their design and a supremely fast pit crew. Needed to move up upstream into the engines.

Zac Brown's done a fantastic job there. Incremental improvements year on year. Plus now that they have a huge capital injection, they will be there to compete in the next few years for sure.

Maybe a reason why Red Bull decided to take over the Honda engine development too -- knowing that Maclaren is on the upswing once again, they can't just rely on the genius of their design and a supremely fast pit crew. Needed to move up upstream into the engines.
Yeah. Nice to have Mclaren back in the mix as a contender. No doubt. Interesting to see how Renault errrrr Alpine fares. Same with Aston Martin. This year really feels like overtime from last year. On the positive side it gives some teams a year to get comfortable with new driver lineups and mgmt changes (see Alpine parting ways with Cyril)

Reactions: sglowrider
Yeah. Nice to have Mclaren back in the mix as a contender. No doubt. Interesting to see how Renault errrrr Alpine fares. Same with Aston Martin. This year really feels like overtime from last year. On the positive side it gives some teams a year to get comfortable with new driver lineups and mgmt changes (see Alpine parting ways with Cyril)

It is overtime -- till the new rules kick in 2022. Then I see the dominance of the Merc team getting chipped away. By then the young Turks will have matured a lot more.
It will exciting times post-Lewis.

Oh gee, I wonder if Lewis Hamilton will win this year. The concentration of power in F1 is about as bad as college football, except probably worse.

Red Bull's new F1 engine masterplan explained

I can see Red Bull building their own supercars in 10 yrs time.

Last edited:
Red Bull's new F1 engine masterplan explained

I can see Red Bull building their own supercars in 10 yrs time.

Interesting. Probably not a huge boost for 2021 but it seems like they are going to take a real run at 2022 and beyond. Means max probably stays. They can also make some money selling engines to other F1 teams if they want to go that route.

Sleep on Ferrari at your peril. Not for the top two of course, but don't be surprised to see then back in the three spot.

An interesting drama will be to see if Red Bull meets their performance clause that is required to keep Max under contract. Mercedes will have two open seats in 2022. If Red Bull is far off the pace mid-season, what does this do to Hamilton's bargaining power with Mercedes, with Merc knowing that Max's contract with Red Bull will be voidable.

Sleep on Ferrari at your peril. Not for the top two of course, but don't be surprised to see then back in the three spot.

An interesting drama will be to see if Red Bull meets their performance clause that is required to keep Max under contract. Mercedes will have two open seats in 2022. If Red Bull is far off the pace mid-season, what does this do to Hamilton's bargaining power with Mercedes, with Merc knowing that Max's contract with Red Bull will be voidable.
Yeah, the whole weirdness that is 2021 should bring some interest to an otherwise ho hum season (Mercedes dominates....again). However, I think Ferrari isn't going to waste a ton of time and resources trying to win this year. Especially when no one (even the Tifosi) expect them to. I think they want to make sure they hit the ground running in 2022.

I like Lewis Hamilton, but clearly not as much as this guy

fk5-MTha21rYvgWOcXLbTybTrq1V6PqGoGVDY9DE6yA.jpg

SPOILER ALERT: Lewis Hamilton is gonna win.

There, I saved you some boredom of watching races where there are no passes for the lead.

Interesting bit on the Alpine and their radiator placement in the Tech Talk segment. That car will be fast in a straight line. No doubt.

I don't know if Merc is sandbagging in Bahrain -- but it looks like its been a disastrous testing period.
RB is looking really good.
I am also looking forward to seeing what this Yuki kid will do.

I don't know if Merc is sandbagging in Bahrain -- but it looks like its been a disastrous testing period.
RB is looking really good.
I am also looking forward to seeing what this Yuki kid will do.
I think they were just screwing around with some things related to aero which likely threw off the balance on the car. I suspect they'll figure it out by the first race. You're right in that those pesky Germans are usually pretty conservative in testing. Perhaps there is a bit of concern?

I think they were just screwing around with some things related to aero which likely threw off the balance on the car. I suspect they'll figure it out by the first race. You're right in that those pesky Germans are usually pretty conservative in testing. Perhaps there is a bit of concern?
Considering that it's a modification from last year's chassis & engine -- and
the best chassis/engine in F1 history; I suspect they are trying some out of the box stuff -- since they can afford it. Plus their barge board is quite a funky design. They maybe literally test.
RB needs to build confidence like Alpine and Maclaren. So they will have close to race setting.

Considering that it's a modification from last year's chassis & engine -- and
the best chassis/engine in F1 history; I suspect they are trying some out of the box stuff -- since they can afford it. Plus their barge board is quite a funky design. They maybe literally test.
RB needs to build confidence like Alpine and Maclaren. So they will have close to race setting.
RB v McLaren (and hopefully Ferrari) should be interesting. Alpine at speed tracks (Monza, Spa, etc) could be intriguing.

I think this is the year Max takes it to Merc in a real fight. While I have no doubt Merc is holding back, their testing was a train wreck. He only needed a few tenths, and it looks like RB gained while Merc might’ve slightly lost and they’ll meet in the middle. Checo will help that so much. It can’t be stated enough. Him actually being a wrench in pit strategy is what RB has missed since Danny Ric.

So I picked up a subscription to F1 TV. You can tell they're owned by a media company. Pretty slick. There's onboards (live and replay) for all cars. Pit lane cams (with separate commentators from the race), data trackers, track maps with positions, etc. Plus full replays going back a few years and at least some content for each year going back to 1970.

Anybody else give it a try? I might try watching some onboards with the main race feed on in the background (tv). Midfield battles might be pretty good this year.

So I picked up a subscription to F1 TV. You can tell they're owned by a media company. Pretty slick. There's onboards (live and replay) for all cars. Pit lane cams (with separate commentators from the race), data trackers, track maps with positions, etc. Plus full replays going back a few years and at least some content for each year going back to 1970.

Anybody else give it a try? I might try watching some onboards with the main race feed on in the background (tv). Midfield battles might be pretty good this year.

Yep. I've had a subscription for some time. I don't often use it for live races, which I just watch on SkyTV, but I'll go back and watch key moments from from the driver onboards, etc.

Also, it's always fun to go back to old races and watch things like, Hamilton's first race, or Schumacher's first win. Interesting to hear the commentary at the time.

Off topic but pour one out for Sabine Schmitz. Gone too soon. Queen of the Ring. Take a few minutes to watch her embarrass Jeremy Clarkson.

Dead at 51. Cancel Sucks. 2x winner of the 24hrs of Nurburgring

• Sad
Off topic but pour one out for Sabine Schmitz. Gone too soon. Queen of the Ring. Take a few minutes to watch her embarrass Jeremy Clarkson.

Dead at 51. Cancel Sucks. 2x winner of the 24hrs of Nurburgring

Well, dang. I don't know that I ever saw anything with her before - to my great sadness. Van drifting will...not be going on my bucket list, but that was a helluva ride.

Hoping for some exciting (and safe) races this season.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT