ADVERTISEMENT

End DEI

The past few weeks, the release of the Nashville shooters journal, time to end this racist program and replace it.
Hopefully getting rid of Biden and his awful crew will help. The progressives are awful and half are racists themselves. Vote them out. Laws are in place to protect from discrimination. The cases cost nothing. Sue every company that F’s with people in protected classes. Keep suing until it hurts and they get the message. Like Crump. But please no more voting for Harris and Pete and the squad type virtue signaling dummies

Hopefully getting rid of Biden and his awful crew will help. The progressives are awful and half are racists themselves. Vote them out. Laws are in place to protect from discrimination. The cases cost nothing. Sue every company that F’s with people in protected classes. Keep suing until it hurts and they get the message. Like Crump. But please no more voting for Harris and Pete and the squad type virtue signaling dummies
Getting rid of Biden won’t do Jack. Department of Education commands a 270 billion dollar budget that it uses to put its thumb on the scales and force nonsense down on children.

Next president needs to declare war on the Department of Education. Declare war on Teachers Unions. They have failed and their time is up.

Getting rid of Biden won’t do Jack. Department of Education commands a 270 billion dollar budget that it uses to put its thumb on the scales and force nonsense down on children.

Next president needs to declare war on the Department of Education. Declare war on Teachers Unions. They have failed and their time is up.
Agreed. I see no need for a board of education at the federal level. Public schools could still get fed money.

I've always been a strong believer public sector employees should not be able to organize unions.

I've always been a strong believer public sector employees should not be able to organize unions.
For all the hand wringing about money in politics, you don’t often hear it in the context of Public Sector unions.

So the union member whose salary is paid by the tax payer, has unions dues deducted from their paycheck. The union then uses those dues to fund their progressive candidate of choice. The progressive candidate gets into office and votes for higher salaries and more funding for teachers. This allows even more money to be funneled toward said progressive candidate.

How is that legal? It’s the most corrupt bargain in American politics.

For all the hand wringing about money in politics, you don’t often hear it in the context of Public Sector unions.

So the union member whose salary is paid by the tax payer, has unions dues deducted from their paycheck. The union then uses those dues to fund their progressive candidate of choice. The progressive candidate gets into office and votes for higher salaries and more funding for teachers. This allows even more money to be funneled toward said progressive candidate.

How is that legal? It’s the most corrupt bargain in American politics.
It can also handicap government because public unions can hold them hostage on policy disagreements.

Public unions nueter supervisors because it makes it damn near impossible to get rid of troublemakers and underperformers.

But what you said in your post concerns me the most.

I don’t understand the right wing hate for teachers. They are not the problem. Kids with “behavioral” issues and parents who don’t do anything about it are the problem.

Teaching is a shitty job that doesn’t pay well. And the job keeps getting worse. Your solution to screw the teachers isn’t going to solve this. By the way, after we get rid of all the teachers, what happens in this right wing utopia?

I don’t understand the right wing hate for teachers. They are not the problem. Kids with “behavioral” issues and parents who don’t do anything about it are the problem.

Teaching is a shitty job that doesn’t pay well. And the job keeps getting worse. Your solution to screw the teachers isn’t going to solve this. By the way, after we get rid of all the teachers, what happens in this right wing utopia?

Nobody said to declare war on teachers.

Reactions: 76-1 and Ty Webb iu
I wonder if any of you guys actually know what the department of education does.

*Establishing policies on federal financial aid for education, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds.
*Collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research.
*Focusing national attention on key educational issues.
*Prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.

They require 4,400 employees and a $68 billion budget (Joe has asked to increase that to $80+ billion) to do this job. It also was combined with Health and Human Services before 1980 so it isn't like these functions have to have their own department (if they are even needed at all...and I would argue that 2 of the 4 are off the top unnecessary and the other 2 could be handled elsewhere.)

Every post after yours went after teacher unions. If we get rid of the unions, do you think pay would increase or go down? How many people would go into teaching for even less money?

I don't think teachers unions are the positive for teachers that you do. Most parents want to be allies with their teachers. The unions are deep into politics (divisive) and the DEI stuff is political (divisive). My district once again voted to raise our taxes to make sure our schools are fully funded after having elected a pretty conservative schoolboard into place. The want to support teachers is there, stop making the schools places where some teachers feel it is their job to crank out activists and you will have a host of people willing to keep them running. 7 in 10 voted to raise their own taxes in my district to do so even with the annoyance that has occurred in the system the past few years.

Reactions: 76-1 and Ty Webb iu
*Establishing policies on federal financial aid for education, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds.
*Collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research.
*Focusing national attention on key educational issues.
*Prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.

They require 4,400 employees and a $68 billion budget (Joe has asked to increase that to $80+ billion) to do this job. It also was combined with Health and Human Services before 1980 so it isn't like these functions have to have their own department (if they are even needed at all...and I would argue that 2 of the 4 are off the top unnecessary and the other 2 could be handled elsewhere.)
What's it matter if it's a department or not?

I get the impression people are mad about education policy and curriculum, not over whether or not the DOE is cabinet level.

Every post after yours went after teacher unions. If we get rid of the unions, do you think pay would increase or go down? How many people would go into teaching for even less money?
I think pay would remain the same in Indiana. I’ve been in half dozen negotiations and never once has the union been able to bargain more money. The state and local referendums dictate pay.

Edit: A strong superintendent and knowing your local constituents are the biggest drivers in teacher pay now. If your district gets a referendum passed, the pay is pretty good. Without a referendum, not so much.

Last edited:

They more easily fall for republican propaganda. That's why they want to dumb down america.

Get the government out of the student loan business, make them private, and make the loans dischargeable in bankruptcy and you will see college costs come down.
i don't remember how student loans work. are they credit-based if private? if so i presume that would be an issue that isn't present with feds. as for bankruptcy i think they should already be dischargeable w/ certain conditions: time etc

Or I’ve worked in education for two decades and it only comes up when we have to do something stupid because some f#ck knobs in D.C. tied funding to it. But you read an article so you know something 😁
I know very little, but I'm not insane enough to say the department of education does nothing of benefit.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I know very little, but I'm not insane enough to say the department of education does nothing of benefit.
Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

I think pay would remain the same in Indiana. I’ve been in half dozen negotiations and never once has the union been able to bargain more money. The state and local referendums dictate pay.

Edit: A strong superintendent and knowing your local constituents are the biggest drivers in teacher pay now. If your district gets a referendum passed, the pay is pretty good. Without a referendum, not so much.

Unions came about largely because of mistreatment by management (low pay, low/no benefits, long hours etc). So joining together gave them a voice because firing one person for speaking up is a lot easier than firing everyone for speaking up together.

Yea, in some cases unions have given the employee(s) too much power but claiming unions are evil and just need to be gotten rid of is a bit ludicrous.

If you have cancer you don’t replace it with another cancer. The answer is turn it over to local districts and teachers to decide. I trust teachers, not some jacka#% in D.C.

if you take away unions, what teachers are you trusting? Those that they find off the street after the good teachers leave for greener pastures?

if you take away unions, what teachers are you trusting? Those that they find off the street after the good teachers leave for greener pastures?
The teachers that don’t feel the need for a union to protect them from poor performance. Addition by subtraction.

Reactions: 76-1
i don't remember how student loans work. are they credit-based if private? if so i presume that would be an issue that isn't present with feds. as for bankruptcy i think they should already be dischargeable w/ certain conditions: time etc

They are backed by the government and you can't discharge the debt in bankruptcy. You have them hanging over your head until they are paid off or you die.

ETA: Misread, the private loans would be based on the normal measures that any other loan would be. People complain that Boomers had cheap this and that and the cost on all of these things exploded when free money was offered to the providers (health and education) and the consumer is left with the bill. They didn't come up with a plan to lower medical costs, they came up with a plan to force everyone to have insurance. They didn't come up with a plan to make higher education more accessible, they came up with a plan to loan people money, no questions asked, that you HAVE to repay.

They are backed by the government and you can't discharge the debt in bankruptcy. You have them hanging over your head until they are paid off or you die.
right. and i think the bankruptcy laws should change to include them with some conditions. i understand the loans are backed by if the feds get out of the loan business and turn it over to private lenders won't eligibility change? disproportionately impacting the poor and those with derelict parents who wouldn't qualify as well

right. and i think the bankruptcy laws should change to include them with some conditions. i understand the loans are backed by if the feds get out of the loan business and turn it over to private lenders won't eligibility change? disproportionately impacting the poor and those with derelict parents who wouldn't qualify as well

I would love to see the numbers on how these loans are really helping the poor.

First paragraph, a normal market would not allow a person to accumulate $50,000 in debt for a sociology degree. The loans empowered her to make a stupid decision to forego a free education.

https://www.cato.org/blog/federal-student-loans-rising-tuition-costs-insider-speaks#:~:text=A 2017 study from the,colleges to raise tuition more.

The "free" money has been bad for consumers, which is bad for the economy, which impacts a host of other things.

Unions came about largely because of mistreatment by management (low pay, low/no benefits, long hours etc). So joining together gave them a voice because firing one person for speaking up is a lot easier than firing everyone for speaking up together.

Yea, in some cases unions have given the employee(s) too much power but claiming unions are evil and just need to be gotten rid of is a bit ludicrous.
It's propaganda coming from the boardrooms. Seems like it's working too.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Interesting to see this thread go from a Bari Weiss discussion of the dangers of DEI being taught in colleges and high school from the standpoint of someone sensitive to anti Semitism to a thread complaining about teacher unions and the Department of Education.

Hey guys, federal, state, and local governments provide $810.0 billion or $16,390 per pupil to fund K-12 public education. with the federal government providing only 10.5% of funding for public K-12 education. The power follows the funding, so it is pretty obvious education is in the hands of sate and local government.

Always worthwhile reading Bari Weiss on the subject of anti Semitism which should be a growing concern for all of us regardless of political affiliation. As to teacher unions, their influence on education as compared to state legislatures is greatly exaggerated IMO.

I don't think teachers unions are the positive for teachers that you do. Most parents want to be allies with their teachers. The unions are deep into politics (divisive) and the DEI stuff is political (divisive). My district once again voted to raise our taxes to make sure our schools are fully funded after having elected a pretty conservative schoolboard into place. The want to support teachers is there, stop making the schools places where some teachers feel it is their job to crank out activists and you will have a host of people willing to keep them running. 7 in 10 voted to raise their own taxes in my district to do so even with the annoyance that has occurred in the system the past few years.
If people shared your view of what is going on in the schools, I doubt they would've supported to renew the already in place tax hike.

Teachers in your district, at least at the high school, don't feel like their job is to crank out activists.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT