ADVERTISEMENT

Antisemitism

I assume you're providing additional historical context for centuries of Christian antisemitism. Yes, a common justification for hating Jews is that they were and are unwilling to accept Christ as the messiah. Many take it a step further and claim they've rejected the word of God and that makes them evil.

Church-sanctioned antisemitism was evident when there was only one Christian church, but it did not go away as a result of the Protestant Reformation. Here's Martin Luther: "What then shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? . . .Their synagogues . . .should be set on fire, and what does not burn must be covered over with earth so that no man will ever see stone or cinder of them again. . . .Their houses also should be razed and destroyed. . . . All their prayer books. . .should be taken from them."

With respect to the Catholic church, the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s brought an important change. For the first time, the Church publicly and officially rejected the ancient charge that Jews are responsible for the death of Christ.
A Jewish man visits his rabbi with a lament. "Rabbi, I am very troubled. My son, you see, he went to travel the world and came back a Christian."

The rabbi replied, "That is strange, my son also went to travel the world and returned a Christian."

"What should we do?" asked the man.

The Rabbi thought for a moment and told him, "We should take it to God for his guidance."

The two pray to God about their sons and God replies, "You know, it is funny you mention that...."

Yep that’s why they started their own frats and sororities. There are many Jewish kids in all of them now though. But they still go through some anti Semitic sentiment on campus.
I think everyone faces some sentiment based on what group they are a part of. This will show my age, but there was a Jewish fraternity that got in quite a bit of trouble my Freshman year for a scavenger hunt they were forcing their pledges to do and the pledges got caught with the insensitive list.

Some of the Jewish guys I hung around with told jokes about themselves that would get us canceled. I think that there is always a thin line where good natured ribbing turns over into the more insidious stuff. I also think viewing the world through certain lenses leads people to the us vs them mindset.

I don't disagree. No guilt here. I'm proud of my heritage while recognizing there are people who have had it a lot harder than me. I try to give back, but won't be paying reparations after finding out I'm one-tenth of one percent sub-Saharan African.

Off topic, but my 17 year old got a ancestry kit for Christmas and just got her results back.

My Italian wife isn't as Italian as she thought she was. In fact, she's more German then Italian, even more so then myself, which is messed up because I was always told that's what I mainly was, yet I'm more English then German.

We're both shook by this news.

A Jewish man visits his rabbi with a lament. "Rabbi, I am very troubled. My son, you see, he went to travel the world and came back a Christian."

The rabbi replied, "That is strange, my son also went to travel the world and returned a Christian."

"What should we do?" asked the man.

The Rabbi thought for a moment and told him, "We should take it to God for his guidance."

The two pray to God about their sons and God replies, "You know, it is funny you mention that...."
Good one. What's your point?

Off topic, but my 17 year old got a ancestry kit for Christmas and just got her results back.

My Italian wife isn't as Italian as she thought she was. In fact, she's more German then Italian, even more so then myself, which is messed up because I was always told that's what I mainly was, yet I'm more English then German.

We're both shook by this news.

Did you use Ancestry.com, 23 and me or something else? I'm kind of curious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT