ADVERTISEMENT

Antisemitism

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I thought it might be useful to have a place to discuss the seeming rise in antisemitism outside the limited context of the Israel-Palestine conflict.

There are many groups of people we have singled out for attack in history, but it feels like we as a world are especially quick to go after the Jews. What is it that makes them such an easy target?

• Wow
Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
I thought it might be useful to have a place to discuss the seeming rise in antisemitism outside the limited context of the Israel-Palestine conflict.

There are many groups of people we have singled out for attack in history, but it feels like we as a world are especially quick to go after the Jews. What is it that makes them such an easy target?

They've had the burden of being wrongly labeled "Christ-killers" for centuries.

Jews today are no more responsible for Christ's death than I am. It's just a ridiculous, illogical position, but it's fuel for antisemites. As support for their hatred, they cling to and misapply a handful of biblical passages including perhaps the favorite of Jew-haters, the one that appears in Matthew 27:25. In response to Pilate's public hand-washing and comment that he was "innocent of this man's (Jesus's) blood; see to it yourselves," the crowd replied "His blood be on us and on our children." Because some idiots may have made that comment, this somehow (in the minds of antisemites) condemns all Jews for all generations. Insane.

The antisemites also conveniently forget (or don't know) the passage where Jesus utters from the cross, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." He forgave the Roman soldiers, the pharisees and anyone else who may have had a role in his death. In fact, forgiveness is a central tenet of Christianity, but many "Christian" antisemites find the "eye for an eye" approach, which Jesus explicitly rejected, much more convenient.

Finally, the most important belief in Christianity is the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. It is the underpinning of the entire faith. Christ had to be put to death so that we might be saved. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds, you have been healed." 1 Peter 2: 24.

I'm not preaching here. I'm responding to your question with a theological analysis. Any person who identifies as Christian but hates Jews is full of shit and not a Christian.

I think there are other reasons why Jews are despised. They tend to be educated and successful. That's threatening to some people. Many others, I think, are envious.

I think there are other reasons why Jews are despised. They tend to be educated and successful. That's threatening to some people. Many others, I think, are envious.

IIUC, in the middle ages the Church considered charging interest on money as usury and it was forbidden. Not bound by Church doctrine, Jews became the "bankers" of the time, and became wealthy and influential as a result. They became hated and were vilified, and it carries on today. See Soros, Bloomberg, Blumenthal, etc.

IIUC, in the middle ages the Church considered charging interest on money as usury and it was forbidden. Not bound by Church doctrine, Jews became the "bankers" of the time, and became wealthy and influential as a result. They became hated and were vilified, and it carries on today. See Soros, Bloomberg, Blumenthal, etc.
That's a great point. And my understanding is that, in some locations, that was pretty much the only thing they were allowed to do.

That's a great point. And my understanding is that, in some locations, that was pretty much the only thing they were allowed to do.
This is true. There were times when governments outlawed usury universally, including for Jews, and in those times, Jewish populations became destitute because of other restrictions they still suffered.

Jews today are no more responsible for Christ's death than I am. It's just a ridiculous, illogical position, but it's fuel for antisemites. As support for their hatred, they cling to and misapply a handful of biblical passages including perhaps the favorite of Jew-haters, the one that appears in Matthew 27:25. In response to Pilate's public hand-washing and comment that he was "innocent of this man's (Jesus's) blood; see to it yourselves," the crowd replied "His blood be on us and on our children." Because some idiots may have made that comment, this somehow (in the minds of antisemites) condemns all Jews for all generations. Insane.

The antisemites also conveniently forget (or don't know) the passage where Jesus utters from the cross, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." He forgave the Roman soldiers, the pharisees and anyone else who may have had a role in his death. In fact, forgiveness is a central tenet of Christianity, but many "Christian" antisemites find the "eye for an eye" approach, which Jesus explicitly rejected, much more convenient.

Finally, the most important belief in Christianity is the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. It is the underpinning of the entire faith. Christ had to be put to death so that we might be saved. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds, you have been healed." 1 Peter 2: 24.

I'm not preaching here. I'm responding to your question with a theological analysis. Any person who identifies as Christian but hates Jews is full of shit and not a Christian.

Thanks for the in depth post Bowl.

I've always summed it up that they were simply the top layer of the bigot sandwich.

The bottom layer were blacks, etc. That's the group bigots felt were beneath them which made them feel better about their lot in life.

Jews were the top layer, the ceiling that were preventing the bigot from having great success.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Jews are generally hardworking and successful, and a small % of the overall world population.

Makes them perfect targets for the mass morons of the world.
Agree with this. I would add to it that they tend to stick together and that can lead to resentment. Maybe that’s not the right word. Eh maybe it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoot1
Agree with this. I would add to it that they tend to stick together and that can lead to resentment. Maybe that’s not the right. Eh maybe it is.

Most certainly definitely do. I don't blame them.... Will say I have a bunch of Jewish friends and they are some of the best people I've ever been friends with. Very generous once you are kind of in with them.... Extremely so. We'll be all lifelong friends. We do family trips, dinner parties etc...

But I'll never be totally IN the inner circle.

But they are a ton of fun and have amazing senses of humor. I love the directness of their personalities. No bullshiting around

Most certainly definitely do. I don't blame them.... Will say I have a bunch of Jewish friends and they are some of the best people I've ever been friends with. Very generous once you are kind of in with them.... Extremely so. We'll be all lifelong friends. We do family trips, dinner parties etc...

But I'll never be totally IN the inner circle.

But they are a ton of fun and have amazing senses of humor. I love the directness of their personalities. No bullshiting around
For sure. My best friend actually converted and married a chick I went to law school with. He was a horrible catholic so we didn’t lose much. But yes two of my biz partners now are Jewish and have done nothing more but generously invest with little persuasion. I’ve always worked with Jews. Smart. Funny in their own way. Reliable. Horrible athletes

Reactions: hoot1 and twenty02
For sure. My best friend actually converted and married a chick I went to law school with. He was a horrible catholic so we didn’t lose much. But yes two of my biz partners now are Jewish and have done nothing more but generously invest with little persuasion. I’ve always worked with Jews. Smart. Funny in their own way. Reliable. Horrible athletes

It's why Madoff was such a shock to that community. We're used to scammers elsewhere, but a Jew scamming a bunch of other Jews was pretty out of character.

It’s human nature to “hate” groups that are different, whether that be due to skin color, religion, nationality, sexuality, or certainly political affiliation & views, which has been on full display on this board. It seems everyone has at least one “group” that they identify as “the problem” with society & are outwardly intolerant of. One of Bowl’s is obviously Christians. Interesting that he focuses his post on them as opposed to the people most responsible for the current rise in acts of antisemitism.

Edited: My post originally & mistakenly identified the OP as Bowlmania, this was incorrect. My apologies to @TheOriginalHappyGoat

Last edited:

If you read the book of Acts it seemed like every time Paul went to a city or area he went to the Synagogue first. This was God offering salvation to those who had rejected Christ as Savior and Lord. Peter's first sermon was to his own people the Jews. He pointed out to them in Acts 2:36Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.” 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
So, the Gospel was offered to Jews first and then it came to us who are part of the goyim (nations)

If you read the book of Acts it seemed like every time Paul went to a city or area he went to the Synagogue first. This was God offering salvation to those who had rejected Christ as Savior and Lord. Peter's first sermon was to his own people the Jews. He pointed out to them in Acts 2:36Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.” 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
So, the Gospel was offered to Jews first and then it came to us who are part of the goyim (nations)
I assume you're providing additional historical context for centuries of Christian antisemitism. Yes, a common justification for hating Jews is that they were and are unwilling to accept Christ as the messiah. Many take it a step further and claim they've rejected the word of God and that makes them evil.

Church-sanctioned antisemitism was evident when there was only one Christian church, but it did not go away as a result of the Protestant Reformation. Here's Martin Luther: "What then shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? . . .Their synagogues . . .should be set on fire, and what does not burn must be covered over with earth so that no man will ever see stone or cinder of them again. . . .Their houses also should be razed and destroyed. . . . All their prayer books. . .should be taken from them."

With respect to the Catholic church, the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s brought an important change. For the first time, the Church publicly and officially rejected the ancient charge that Jews are responsible for the death of Christ.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I assume you're providing additional historical context for centuries of Christian antisemitism. Yes, a common justification for hating Jews is that they were and are unwilling to accept Christ as the messiah. Many take it a step further and claim they've rejected the word of God and that makes them evil.

Church-sanctioned antisemitism was evident when there was only one Christian church, but it did not go away as a result of the Protestant Reformation. Here's Martin Luther: "What then shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? . . .Their synagogues . . .should be set on fire, and what does not burn must be covered over with earth so that no man will ever see stone or cinder of them again. . . .Their houses also should be razed and destroyed. . . . All their prayer books. . .should be taken from them."

With respect to the Catholic church, the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s brought an important change. For the first time, the Church publicly and officially rejected the ancient charge that Jews are responsible for the death of Christ.
It was God's Will for His Son to die. With that said who was it who handed Jesus over to the Roman Authorities? It was the Jewish Leaders. Now the Romans also were part of this because Pilate even though he knew Jesus was innocent of the charges against him went along with it for political purposes. Pilate had fallen out of favor with Caesar so he was watching his own back.
As far as Luther's comments there is no way to accept them as good. I will say this. In Heaven Luther knows he was wrong.

The thread has hit on a number of reasons Jews have been hated for thousands of years and also why the opposite should be the case (smart, successful, humorous, innovative).

Instead of being hated, given their special talents, shouldn't the chosen ones be respected ?

On the subject of hate and the recent signs of increased antisemitism we have the white power movement in our own country. Cannot help but think this movement sees the Jews as part of a great conspiracy of elites who are taking the country and the world in a direction which is contrary to their best interests and values.

Unfortunately, fear and hate are often a stronger motivators than respect.

Agree with this. I would add to it that they tend to stick together and that can lead to resentment. Maybe that’s not the right word. Eh maybe it is.
That’s def true. Did you know where I was house mom was a mainly Jewish sorority? I was an honorary member of the tribe. They even had a spot at Roy’s and Sports they called Jew corner. Plenty of helicopter parents ,but teaching prepared me for that. But boy most of those girls were the sweetest in the world. And their families were almost all highly successful. Can’t tell you how many of the girls ended up marrying guys they knew in a Jewish frat at IU 5 or 10 years later, just as their parents did.

That’s def true. Did you know where I was house mom was a mainly Jewish sorority? I was an honorary member of the tribe. They even had a spot at Roy’s and Sports they called Jew corner. Plenty of helicopter parents ,but teaching prepared me for that. But boy most of those girls were the sweetest in the world. And their families were almost all highly successful. Can’t tell you how many of the girls ended up marrying guys they knew in a Jewish frat at IU 5 or 10 years later, just as their parents did.

Had a Jewish pal in college whose father was a successful lawyer in Washington D.C.

He couldn't join my fraternity which allowed only white Chistians, but I had many good times visiting parties made up of mostly Jewish students with him. A friend of his, was automatically a friend of theirs.

In my Liberal Arts classes which were often graded on the curve the Jewish students mostly from the East Coast could be predicted to be at the top of the class.

A few years after I graduated protesters of the Viethan war bombed a campus building. A movement began which assumed the culprits were out of state Jews. Typical of the kind of prejudice which is being renewed in the country and world today.

Had a Jewish pal in college whose father was a successful lawyer in Washington D.C.

He couldn't join my fraternity which allowed only white Chistians, but I had many good times visiting parties made up of mostly Jewish students with him. A friend of his, was automatically a friend of theirs.

In my Liberal Arts classes which were often graded on the curve the Jewish students mostly from the East Coast could be predicted to be at the top of the class.

A few years after I graduated protesters of the Viethan war bombed a campus building. A movement began which assumed the culprits were out of state Jews. Typical of the kind of prejudice which is being renewed in the country and world today.
Yep that’s why they started their own frats and sororities. There are many Jewish kids in all of them now though. But they still go through some anti Semitic sentiment on campus.

Yep that’s why they started their own frats and sororities. There are many Jewish kids in all of them now though. But they still go through some anti Semitic sentiment on campus.
i worked for bob montgomery for a little while. he was credited with opening up a number of clubs to jews. as early as the 90s they were banned from the palm beach yacht club and numerous other country clubs. as were blacks.

i don't really see it with my generation but i saw it with the older generation where catholics stuck together and really didn't like jews. they'd ask who is on the other side and whether it was a 212. sometimes that just meant a new yorker, other times a jew. it's a strange prejudice to me

It's interesting because in the 18th century the term "semite" used to include Arabs, as the descendants of Shem, one of Noah's sons. Drop the "h" (because Greek doesn't have a way to describe the beginning sound of Shem's name) and that's where the term semite comes from. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/who-are-the-semites/.

Somewhere along the line - probably in the 19th century - the term "antisemite" came to mean prejudice or discrimination against jews. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/anti-semitism-101/.

i worked for bob montgomery for a little while. he was credited with opening up a number of clubs to jews. as early as the 90s they were banned from the palm beach yacht club and numerous other country clubs. as were blacks.

i don't really see it with my generation but i saw it with the older generation where catholics stuck together and really didn't like jews. they'd ask who is on the other side and whether it was a 212. sometimes that just meant a new yorker, other times a jew. it's a strange prejudice to me
It was Catholic Doctrine to believe Jews killed Christ until 1965. From Antisemitsm 101:

"Hatred of Jews, however, is much older, dating by some accounts to the early Christian era and the belief that Jews were collectively guilty of killing Jesus — a view that remained Catholic doctrine until 1965."

It seems everyone has at least one “group” that they identify as “the problem” with society & are outwardly intolerant of. One of Bowl’s is obviously Christians.
I certainly don't consider Christians to be "the problem" with society. That wouldn't make any sense. I am a Christian and active in my church. My acknowledgment of centuries of Christian antisemitism doesn't make me less of a Christian.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, the liturgical season where Christians try to become more involved in prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Self-denial is a common theme, too - - when people give up activities they find enjoyable. You should give up shitposting.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
It's interesting because in the 18th century the term "semite" used to include Arabs, as the descendants of Shem, one of Noah's sons. Drop the "h" (because Greek doesn't have a way to describe the beginning sound of Shem's name) and that's where the term semite comes from. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/who-are-the-semites/.

Somewhere along the line - probably in the 19th century - the term "antisemite" came to mean prejudice or discrimination against jews. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/anti-semitism-101/.
I think it's a convergent etymology thing. In linguistics, semitic includes Arabs, Arameans, etc., but in racial studies, antisemitism was coined to refer to prejudice against Jews. Probably in the 19th century as you note, because that was the height of the Jewish question in Europe.

I certainly don't consider Christians to be "the problem" with society. That wouldn't make any sense. I am a Christian and active in my church. My acknowledgment of centuries of Christian antisemitism doesn't make me less of a Christian.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, the liturgical season where Christians try to become more involved in prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Self-denial is a common theme, too - - when people give up activities they find enjoyable. You should give up shitposting.
Self loathing is a common trait among white male progressives these days….

Self loathing is a common trait among white male progressives these days….

I'm very content to be white and very content to be Christian, so your illogical leap/ridiculous stereotyping is a swing and a miss.

I'm sure you have many talents. Critical thinking and effective communication aren't among them.

I'm very content to be white and very content to be Christian, so your illogical leap and ridiculous stereotyping is a swing and a miss.

I'm sure you have many talents. Critical thinking and effective communication aren't among them.
I don’t think he’s wrong with many progressives. Not you and I don’t consider you a progressive obviously but it is an odd deal - that lefty white guilt. Their racist senses are turned up higher than minorities

Reactions: snarlcakes
I don’t think he’s wrong with many progressives. Not you and I don’t consider you a progressive obviously but it is an odd deal - that lefty white guilt. Their racist senses are turned up higher than minorities
I don't disagree. No guilt here. I'm proud of my heritage while recognizing there are people who have had it a lot harder than me. I try to give back, but won't be paying reparations after finding out I'm one-tenth of one percent sub-Saharan African.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The thread has hit on a number of reasons Jews have been hated for thousands of years and also why the opposite should be the case (smart, successful, humorous, innovative).

Instead of being hated, given their special talents, shouldn't the chosen ones be respected ?

On the subject of hate and the recent signs of increased antisemitism we have the white power movement in our own country. Cannot help but think this movement sees the Jews as part of a great conspiracy of elites who are taking the country and the world in a direction which is contrary to their best interests and values.

Unfortunately, fear and hate are often a stronger motivators than respect.
I think attributing those personality traits to an entire group wrongheaded. They are each individuals. There are a lot of dumb, unfunny, lazy Jews. Because they’re human, just like the rest of us.

I think McMurty hit upon the main factor here, at least among some. My retired partner is Jewish but he held complicated views about “the Tribe.” He didn’t think current antisemitism due to any historical or religious reason here in the US among the educated and elites. He thought it was due to the perceived (and sometimes accurate) clannishness and tribal nature of many Jews.

Of course, the rub/irony is that that clannishness and tribal mentality was probably caused by their past discrimination.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Shakespeare contributed to anti-semitism with his play Merchant of Venice and his money grubbing Shylock character- it’s as old as it is a vile doctrine

Reactions: larsIU and IUINSB

It wasn't much of a thing in my day or in my circle, but my younger brothers (both Chi Phi degenerates) could rattle off JAP jokes for hours.

I think attributing those personality traits to an entire group wrongheaded. They are each individuals. There are a lot of dumb, unfunny, lazy Jews. Because they’re human, just like the rest of us.

I think McMurty hit upon the main factor here, at least among some. My retired partner is Jewish but he held complicated views about “the Tribe.” He didn’t think current antisemitism due to any historical or religious reason here in the US among the educated and elites. He thought it was due to the perceived (and sometimes accurate) clannishness and tribal nature of many Jews.

Of course, the rub/irony is that that clannishness and tribal mentality was probably caused by their past discrimination.

Brad, agree we shouldn't apply broad strokes of personality such as my supporting the notion that all Jews are smart, humorous, innovative as shown in this thread.

At this cite, I have often objected to referring to say Blacks and Muslims as sharing the same personalities prone to certain traits (crime, terrorism, etc.).

Also think we can agree that the great majority of Jews, Blacks, and Muslims are humans just like ourselves who should be respected and not hated.

Reactions: BradStevens

I know. And a didn’t know for the longest time there was Catholic prejudices. Doesn’t make any more sense to me than hating you because you’re a Methodist and I’m a Presbyterian.

I’m a Presbyterian.
giphy.gif

Right on cue

AEPhi or SDT?

Better keep them away from the Pakistanis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT