ADVERTISEMENT

Eggs

So a dozen Pennywise normal large eggs are virtually identical in price per egg to 18 Meijer cage free. At least in this specific case, there isn't much of an issue.
The pennywise were same as the 12 cage free at the Meijer store I was just in. Low stock anyway so didnt study real close, looked like prices were changing and not well shown.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
NPT, based on a quick read, Nowhere in that article do the writers use the word "engineer" regarding how chickens are different. That is the word of some headline writer who doesn't necessarily understand or has even read the article. Writers don't write the headlines. My wife found that out, writing for a newspaper and having nonsensical or misleading headlines slapped onto her writing.

CoH, looks like you had better move back to Indiana. Better yet, Illinois has the lowest price eggs according to this article. Hard to believe how the cost of eggs varies so much from state to state,

The lowest being Illinois at $0.42 per dozen. Hawaii is the highest at S4.49. Colorado comes in at $1,57.

Wonder if the poor folks living in Illinois and taking advantage of the low cost of eggs have higher cholesterol readings than the limousine liberals residing in Hawaii.
4.97 a dozen at Aldi the other day in Chicago. Where are these 42 cent eggs?!

Reactions: Crayfish57
Outside Shitter is actively trying to find a poster to supplant him as the Most Frequently Incorrect “Expert” on the board…
Let's stop the name calling... there's no need of that. It really adds nothing. I disagree with him on a lot of things but that doesn't mean I'm gonna call him names.

Let's stop the name calling... there's no need of that. It really adds nothing. I disagree with him on a lot of things but that doesn't mean I'm gonna call him names.
I commend you for staying above the fray. I’ve been called enough names by him & his buddies that I’m happy to return fire. Keep up the good work…

4.97 a dozen at Aldi the other day in Chicago. Where are these 42 cent eggs?!

Chi, glad too have a fellow Aldi buyer drop by the Cooler. My Indianapolis store sold me a dozen caged chicken large eggs for $3.44 on 12/10/22.

Hate to question my own link and as I said in my post..am surprised at the spread in the big difference in the cost of eggs from state to state.

Last edited:
My one and only food difficulty, has always been eggs. I love them, but once my mind thought that they were actually liquid chickens, I had trouble eating them. I still think about this every time I fry, boil or poach one. That's a liquid effing chicken.
I still eat and enjoy, but the though is always there.

My one and only food difficulty, has always been eggs. I love them, but once my mind thought that they were actually liquid chickens, I had trouble eating them. I still think about this every time I fry, boil or poach one. That's a liquid effing chicken.

Thanks a lot. Think I'll just skip breakfast tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Really hits home when you get one with a spot of blood in the yolk…

• Wow
What do you think when you go to Buffalo Wild Wings?

• Haha
Chi, glad too have a fellow Aldi buyer drop by the Cooler. My Indianapolis store sold me a dozen caged chicken large eggs for $3.44 on 12/10/22.

Hate to question my own link and as I said in my post..am surprised at the spread in the big difference in the cost of eggs from state to state.
For the last 6 months they've ranged from 1.89 to 4.67 (my last post was w
Chi, glad too have a fellow Aldi buyer drop by the Cooler. My Indianapolis store sold me a dozen caged chicken large eggs for $3.44 on 12/10/22

Upon further review of my pic from a few days ago it was 4.78 for a dozen. That's the highest I've seen in the last 6 months. Lowest I've seen is 1.89. But it literally jumps up/down every week.

For a Scientist you don't know anything about anything do you?

UEP_WebsiteGraphics_2021_HenPopMan.jpg
I assume that's sarcasm.

Reactions: Lucy01
Per USDA, cage free eggs are $0.73 more per dozen.

Looking at local prices, that's about what I see.

The USDA puts out a weekly egg report with all kinds of data, for some truly riveting reading.
When I owned a deli, I had to fill out an 'egg' report to some government agency and pay some kind of tax.

Eggs are big government.

When I owned a deli, I had to fill out an 'egg' report to some government agency and pay some kind of tax.

Eggs are big government.

One of the biggest IU donors in existence is a massive egg farmer.... I'm sure @stollcpa knows them

I think they are one of the largest egg product producers in the country

One of the biggest IU donors in existence is a massive egg farmer.... I'm sure @stollcpa knows them

I think they are one of the largest egg product producers in the country
A high school classmate of mine raised chickens and had some big chicken houses. They were eventually bought out by Rose Farms (?) for about $40 million. No wonder that SOB always drove around in a new Trans Am.

Reactions: Lucy01 and twenty02
I love a good deli
I do too and that's why I bought this place. Unfortunately, one of the employers where a majority of my customers worked layed off 600 engineers shortly after I bought it.

Then a McAllisters opened 2 years later.

It was 2009 and the recession was in full swing. I got the hell out as quick as I could. Good thing I didn't depend on it for income. But I did really enjoy doing it - it would have made a great retirement job.

Reactions: Lucy01
I do too and that's why I bought this place. Unfortunately, one of the employers where a majority of my customers worked layed off 600 engineers shortly after I bought it.

It was 2009 and the recession was in full swing. I got the hell out as quick as I could. Good thing I didn't depend on it for income. But I did really enjoy doing it - it would have made a great retirement job.
McAllisters isn’t a good deli. That’s the baked potato place right?

How about this. A hot roast beef on a kaiser. Delicious. You don’t see that much at delis anymore. Could be your angle.

McAllisters isn’t a good deli. That’s the baked potato place right?

How about this. A hot roast beef on a kaiser. Delicious. You don’t see that much at delis anymore. Could be your angle.

Yeah but office workers would flock to that place....I recall occasionally going to the one close to my old office (and a zillion other commercial office buildings) with a group of coworkers probably in the 2006-08 era.... people would be lined up out the door at lunch every day.

Haven't been there for a long time, but seems like they are still busy when I drive by. Though probably not near to the level of 10-15 years ago.

That and Panera were the white collar lunch trend for a long time around here.

Here’s another one. How about this. Your turkey sandwich. Your most popular sandwich. Serve it on a pretzel roll. Bam!! Now we’re building a menu.

Hot Roast Beef on Kaiser
Roasted Turkey on Pretzel Roll

Here’s another one. How about this. Your turkey sandwich. Your most popular sandwich. Serve it on a pretzel roll. Bam!! Now we’re building a menu.

Hot Roast Beef on Kaiser
Never got the pretzel bun or turkey either. Turkey seems like a bland filler that needs condiments and toppings to have any flavor

Yeah but office workers would flock to that place....I recall occasionally going to the one close to my old office (and a zillion other commercial office buildings) with a group of coworkers probably in the 2006-08 era.... people would be lined up out the door at lunch every day.

Haven't been there for a long time, but seems like they are still busy when I drive by. Though probably not near to the level of 10-15 years ago.

That and Panera were the white collar lunch trend for a long time around here.
Panera started here. We still call it the Saint Louis Bread Co. It’s old now. So many of these places start out okay then just get shitty over time. I’m seeing more and more chains taking over, sadly. Across the street from my office was the best burger you ever ate. Soft cheddar. Mushrooms. Incredible steak fries. Now it’s a Fing potbelly

Panera started here. We still call it the Saint Louis Bread Co. It’s old now. So many of these places start out okay then just get shitty over time. I’m seeing more and more chains taking over, sadly. Across the street from my office was the best burger you ever ate. Soft cheddar. Mushrooms. Incredible steak fries. Now it’s a Fing potbelly
We have a local Pizza place that has the best sandwiches for the money you will find. Granted not typical deli, Its Italian but they are good and prices are so reasonable

We have a local Pizza place that has the best sandwiches for the money you will find. Granted not typical deli, Its Italian but they are good and prices are so reasonable
Italian good call. @DANC We’ll do an Italian sandwich. Olive oil and red wine vinegar. That’s the hook. The dressing.

Hot Roast Beef on Kaiser Roll
Italian with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar Dressing.

• Haha
Italian good call. @DANC We’ll do an Italian sandwich. Olive oil and red wine vinegar. That’s the hook. The dressing.

Hot Roast Beef on Kaiser Roll
Italian with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar Dressing.
This place has fantastic Stromboli. Their own sausage recipe which also on their pizza . Italian Beef, its all good. Somehow never figured out a meatball sandwich the Stromboli seems a better choice and easier to eat.

Reactions: DANC and Lucy01

Have to have a special. DANC’s Special. Ham, Genoa, Roast Beef, Brick Cheese. Another special sauce. Sweet onions. Spicy mustard in the sauce.

Putting together a hell of a menu for you

This place has fantastic Stromboli. Their own sausage recipe which also on their pizza . Italian Beef, its all good. Somehow never figured out a meatball sandwich the Stromboli seems a better choice and easier to eat.
I love a good Stromboli but no. Not doing pizza and all that. Sticking to a deli.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I love a good Stromboli but no. Not doing pizza and all that. Sticking to a deli.
I was just saying they use their special recipe . Mostly sandwich by day Pizza at night. Mustards to me are the key on deli sandwiches . We dont have a lot of choices around here on that kind

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT