ADVERTISEMENT

Economic hellscape -- I wish everyone would read this

Opinion: America is doing better than the media or our politicians tell us. Here’s proof.​

But when people ask if they are better or worse off than four years prior… they feel this

fredgraph.png

Opposite. Trump left office with 1.4 inflation. Biden went nuts and spiked to a 41 yr high. Not all his fault but exacerbated. Think. You can’t lead on a free pizza agenda
That graph is showing inflation? What actually is that graph? It shows a spike in 2020 while Trump was president. The a free fall whole Trump was still president. Continues and bottoms out during Biden. Then a rebound and higher numbers then precovid.

Uncle mark do you have a Marketwatch sub or are you sharing a headline this fits your priors?

I don’t think anyone is claiming the U.S. is in danger of losing the most productive economy battle any time soon. In fact the gap is widening as we are poised to be the breakaway leader in AI.
China is the leader in AI.

That graph is showing inflation? What actually is that graph? It shows a spike in 2020 while Trump was president. The a free fall whole Trump was still president. Continues and bottoms out during Biden. Then a rebound and higher numbers then precovid.
It shows real earnings. Aka earnings accounting for inflation. It shows that wages have not yet caught up with the disastrous inflation this administration has wrought which is why people are still pissed.

Can you not read graphs?

CPI measures infkation deflation. Inflation spiked so wages lagged behind and you had to spend more for the same shit

Bidenomics that Harris loves

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Right? I'm racking my brain trying to see how this helps a Trump argument.
I understand your confusion. The chart doesn’t go back in time far enough. You can do the research. The bottom line is inflation spiked at a rate that wages couldn’t keep up with under Biden. In part bc of Covid in part bc of excess stimulus. It is now leveling off imo since Biden lost the house. Harris is already at $45k in freebies and will be more of the same.

Trump depends on certain variables but will probably be a disaster too

I understand your confusion. The chart doesn’t go back in time far enough. You can do the research. The bottom line is inflation spiked at a rate that wages couldn’t keep up with under Biden. In part bc of Covid in part bc of excess stimulus. It is now leveling off imo since Biden lost the house. Harris is already at $45k in freebies and will be more of the same.

Trump depends on certain variables but will probably be a disaster too

If we talk freebies, mention that Trump's plan will increase debt more than Harris'.

Tariffs are by executive order, correct?
Good point.

You could quibble about the definitions, but for broad purposes, yeah, the President can do that because of the power delegated by Congress in certain legislation. Techinically speaking, I just don't know if that's how he implemented the past Chinese tariffs.

Does Trump's plan rely on executive orders or legislation?
I do not know. If spending too much is the cause of our bills, why does it matter? The fact Trump is spending more than he takes in by a greater amount than Harris is what is important.

Trump averaged more EOs than Biden, or Obama. So it isn't like it violates his code of ethics. I have to laugh, mentioning "Trump" and "code of ethics" in the same sentence is hilarious.

I do not know. If spending too much is the cause of our bills, why does it matter? The fact Trump is spending more than he takes in by a greater amount than Harris is what is important.

Trump averaged more EOs than Biden, or Obama. So it isn't like it violates his code of ethics. I have to laugh, mentioning "Trump" and "code of ethics" in the same sentence is hilarious.

Bc all spending isn’t the same as it relates to inflation. Money supply etc is key. But again trump won’t help the debt. Obviously

Reactions: Spartans9312

It matters for each candidate, because no matter what they say they want or what they would do, if they have to get legislation passed to do it, I think you rationally have to take that into account given the lower odds such a thing might come to pass.

That's one reason, for example, the Harris attack on Trump about a national abortion ban is stupid. First, he doesn't even want to do that, and second, he can't do it on his own. That's a legislative issue, not an executive one. I'm sure some of the things Harris has said she wants to do fall in the same category.

That graph shows the crater beginning during Trump and Biden pulling us out of it.
Come on.

Virtually all of the economic disruption had to do with the pandemic starting.

Virtually all of the economic recovery had to do with the pandemic ending.

Too many people want to look at these things through not only a political lens, but through a lens of specific politicians.

That said, even with Covid set aside, Trump had a poor fiscal record in his term. Not only did he not do anything to fix our systemic imbalances, he made them objectively worse.

So has Biden.

Marv to be clear I know trump is a terrible candidate. It’s just less Robin Hood politics. But believe me I get he’s terrible
We need to move away from Robin Hood politics - and focus more on that than we do on personalities.

That doesn’t mean that any particular officials should get a pass. They shouldn’t. But the problem goes way deeper than any one president or elected official. It’s very deeply rooted.

It matters for each candidate, because no matter what they say they want or what they would do, if they have to get legislation passed to do it, I think you rationally have to take that into account given the lower odds such a thing might come to pass.

That's one reason, for example, the Harris attack on Trump about a national abortion ban is stupid. First, he doesn't even want to do that, and second, he can't do it on his own. That's a legislative issue, not an executive one. I'm sure some of the things Harris has said she wants to do fall in the same category.

It is virtually impossible for Harris to have the House and the Senate. So yes, one needs to consider what they can do without that AND what a president can do with it.

I do not think an abortion ban can pass, in all probability that would require Susan Collins' vote and I doubt they get it. But if it did, you think them going to Trump ready to pass a bill to put him on Rushmore would get him to sign it? Playing to his ego can do miracles. I don't think he has a core belief except what his ego wants.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
It is virtually impossible for Harris to have the House and the Senate. So yes, one needs to consider what they can do without that AND what a president can do with it.

I do not think an abortion ban can pass, in all probability that would require Susan Collins' vote and I doubt they get it. But if it did, you think them going to Trump ready to pass a bill to put him on Rushmore would get him to sign it? Playing to his ego can do miracles. I don't think he has a core belief except what his ego wants.
As with coach cig I’m basically never wrong. I’m shocked by how much I’ve missed the boat on abortion. There are more abortion signs in yards in my community than anything else. More than letting us bet on sports!! In 2024 I didn’t think it would still be so pressing

I can't understand the naiveness on this by the moderate right guys on here. Roe was also never going to be overturned. The notion was scoffed at. It will never happen... Until it did.

As with coach cig I’m basically never wrong. I’m shocked by how much I’ve missed the boat on abortion. There are more abortion signs in yard in my community than anything else
Never wrong, but miss the boat? Love it. Abortion is the wedge issue supreme.

Speaking of signs, drove through Morgan County to get up into Hendricks after the game. @UncleMark , I found all the Trump signs.

And on yard signs, why does every Republican in Monroe County have a Dave Hall sign. He has the most, by a wide margin. He lives in Jackson County.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
As with coach cig I’m basically never wrong. I’m shocked by how much I’ve missed the boat on abortion. There are more abortion signs in yards in my community than anything else. More than letting us bet on sports!! In 2024 I didn’t think it would still be so pressing
Oh I’ve long warned pro-lifers to be careful what they wished for with respect to Roe.

I think Dobbs was the right decision. But nobody should be surprised that it touched off a political backlash.

Dems should actually be happy Roe was vacated. Abortion is still going to end up legal pretty much everywhere, once all the dust settles. And they’re getting a great political boost from it.

Oh I’ve long warned pro-lifers to be careful what they wished for with respect to Roe.

I think Dobbs was the right decision. But nobody should be surprised that it touched off a political backlash.

Dems should actually be happy Roe was vacated. Abortion is still going to end up legal pretty much everywhere, once all the dust settles. And they’re getting a great political boost from it.
Yup

I can't understand the naiveness on this by the moderate right guys on here. Roe was also never going to be overturned. The notion was scoffed at. It will never happen... Until it did.
Agree. IMHO, the abortion fight is obviously about abortion, but it also seems like a proxy for centuries of mansplaining - women not thinking they are listened to and/or respected. With Roe, there was at least this one thing that old dudes didn't have much experience with (physically giving birth) where they didn't just tell women what they had to do. Dobbs just awoke a sleeping giant.

Lobster in the pot theory. The red states should have passed "reasonable" laws then gradually whittled them back.

Florida's amendment is going to fail because of the 60% requirement. But there is only so much time that they can alienate 55% before the bill comes due.

Lobster in the pot theory. The red states should have passed "reasonable" laws then gradually whittled them back.

Florida's amendment is going to fail because of the 60% requirement. But there is only so much time that they can alienate 55% before the bill comes due.
Yeah. I was hoping that some of the more moderate Indiana Republicans would oppose the bill they passed here - in favor of one that just established a time limit.

But I’m sure they feared a backlash from Republican primary voters who would go right after any R who voted against a wholesale ban on abortion. The exceptions they included don’t really count for much…and even those were controversial.

They just can’t help themselves. They’re like a mirror image of Dems in states like California and Oregon.

• Love
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT