ADVERTISEMENT

Political segregation

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
It came up in the MASH thread, rather than hijack a thread on one of the best TV shows ever I decided to start a thread.

We have balkanized in a lot of ways, and before we start down that road (and I am sure we will), BOTH parties contribute mightily to it. We go to churches that are overwhelmingly dominated by one party, we choose our media based on our party politics, and we live in neighborhoods that have become increasingly segregated.

Below is a story with an interesting map, put in your address and it will tell you how politically diverse your neighborhood is. Now to break with the theme, my neighborhood is 48% D and 45% R. So very diverse politically. I am surprised as I see many more R yard signs. As an aside, in Maine, VT, NH, I saw MANY MANY more yard signs than I do in Bloomington.

I am sure the story accompanying the map will cause some anger, but hopefully more people will respond about how diverse their neighborhood is.

How diverse is your social media? I don't know how to measure that, but I have maybe 5 Facebook friends that post extensively on politics. 3 are liberal, 2 are conservative. The rest may make an occasional post on an issue, but it is hard to know based on one issue. I don't follow anyone political on Social Media, and my Twitter includes several scientists, a couple authors, NASA, and some IT. I can think of no worse platform for political discussion than Twitter.

My church is overwhelmingly liberal. If it wasn't, its decision to become a reconciling congregation guaranteed it.

For news, I listen to NPR in the morning, and one of the network's news at night. I some version of read or scan USAToday and Fox News online.

I follow one political blog (electoral-vote) that leans left, and check in on 538 every few days (especially Fridays for their puzzles).

So, how diverse are you? I am especially thinking of that neighborhood map. 1 in three of us lives in a total bubble. Fearfully that probably means how we view each other is based on what we read in places like this.

It came up in the MASH thread, rather than hijack a thread on one of the best TV shows ever I decided to start a thread.

We have balkanized in a lot of ways, and before we start down that road (and I am sure we will), BOTH parties contribute mightily to it. We go to churches that are overwhelmingly dominated by one party, we choose our media based on our party politics, and we live in neighborhoods that have become increasingly segregated.

Below is a story with an interesting map, put in your address and it will tell you how politically diverse your neighborhood is. Now to break with the theme, my neighborhood is 48% D and 45% R. So very diverse politically. I am surprised as I see many more R yard signs. As an aside, in Maine, VT, NH, I saw MANY MANY more yard signs than I do in Bloomington.

I am sure the story accompanying the map will cause some anger, but hopefully more people will respond about how diverse their neighborhood is.

How diverse is your social media? I don't know how to measure that, but I have maybe 5 Facebook friends that post extensively on politics. 3 are liberal, 2 are conservative. The rest may make an occasional post on an issue, but it is hard to know based on one issue. I don't follow anyone political on Social Media, and my Twitter includes several scientists, a couple authors, NASA, and some IT. I can think of no worse platform for political discussion than Twitter.

My church is overwhelmingly liberal. If it wasn't, its decision to become a reconciling congregation guaranteed it.

For news, I listen to NPR in the morning, and one of the network's news at night. I some version of read or scan USAToday and Fox News online.

I follow one political blog (electoral-vote) that leans left, and check in on 538 every few days (especially Fridays for their puzzles).

So, how diverse are you? I am especially thinking of that neighborhood map. 1 in three of us lives in a total bubble. Fearfully that probably means how we view each other is based on what we read in places like this.
My neighborhood is not very diverse. It’s overwhelmingly Democratic. I don’t really care or think about it very much. I was mostly amused by all the BLM signs and “Hate doesn’t live here“ signs of a few years ago. I should ask why somebody would have to post a sign saying they don’t hate others? Nobody thinks they do hate, we’ll almost nobody. I think Democrats see Republicans as purveyors of hate. So I guess those signs really mean “We are not Republicans “.

In any event, I agree we are self segregating along politics. I blame Democrats. Seriously, this is a left-wing problem.

My neighborhood is not very diverse. It’s overwhelmingly Democratic. I don’t really care or think about it very much. I was mostly amused by all the BLM signs and “Hate doesn’t live here“ signs of a few years ago. I should ask why somebody would have to post a sign saying they don’t hate others? Nobody thinks they do hate, we’ll almost nobody. I think Democrats see Republicans as purveyors of hate. So I guess those signs really mean “We are not Republicans “.

In any event, I agree we are self segregating along politics. I blame Democrats. Seriously, this is a left-wing problem.

I am shocked you don't see the irony in "we are drifting apart and it is ALL YOUR FAULT".

I live in Carmel. Shocked to see it at 52% Dem 48% Republican. I assume that's a bit skewed by Trump's loss in 2020 when the liberal bastion of Carmel went for Biden (at nearly the rate I posted).

Interesting to see if they keep feeding this or could go back in time to see what it was like 20 years ago.

As to the segregation....well, I self segregate from my neighbors regardless of political affiliation. If I don't have a direct line of sight to your front door I probably don't know you.

I believe the internet has made this entirely possible. People can now just stay home and feed their confirmation bias through a never ending feedback loop from social media, news media, etc.

Until that poll says that college students wouldn't sleep with somebody who voted for the other party I think there's still a chance for reunion.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I live in one bubble and work in another bubble. my neighborhood is 99% dem. they are WOKE F*UCKERS! but no one really talks about it. all get along great. in fact tonight we'll all get together for a little neighborhood halloween party. the factories i work with here in missouri are all owned by old white men and they are hardcore conservatives. they talk politics more than anyone i know. they are old and don't care what they say and are extremely political.

facebook have two friends who post conservative crap and one liberal. that's it. i love facebook. i think it's fantastic.

I live in Carmel. Shocked to see it at 52% Dem 48% Republican. I assume that's a bit skewed by Trump's loss in 2020 when the liberal bastion of Carmel went for Biden (at nearly the rate I posted).

Interesting to see if they keep feeding this or could go back in time to see what it was like 20 years ago.

As to the segregation....well, I self segregate from my neighbors regardless of political affiliation. If I don't have a direct line of sight to your front door I probably don't know you.

I believe the internet has made this entirely possible. People can now just stay home and feed their confirmation bias through a never ending feedback loop from social media, news media, etc.
You live in a liberal hellhole. I hold my breath when I drive through now. Travel a few miles north to real America. We'll make a man out of you again. Don't bring your wife though, McMurtry bangs anything that walks.

Edit: In all seriousness, the fake people statues downtown do freak me out. They never talk back 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

I blame Democrats. What a stunning surprise.

Would we consider the Cooler to be a political integration? Sure, we don't agree all the time but we are forced to deal with one another. I think that's missing from many other areas of our lives as we now work from home more and more, shop online for even things like groceries.

Ah...now things are starting to make sense. 🤣

Happy Halloween to you and your neighbors. That's an awesome get-together for families. It's a holiday that really unites our neighborhood, too.
So true. In fact it’s the only holiday now. Used to for the 4th but it stopped. Now it’s just Halloween

You live in a liberal hellhole. I hold my breath when I drive through now. Travel a few miles north to real America. We'll make a man out of you again. Don't bring your wife though, McMurtry bangs anything that walks.

Edit: In all seriousness, the fake people statues downtown do freak me out. They never talk back 🤷‍♂️
I can see Mcmurtry strutting around in a silk robe opened to the waist, chest hair wafting in the breeze, wearing bikini underwear with one nut hanging out the side.

Can't access NYT. I'm sure I live in a Dem bubble.

It's a survey of college students. He brought the wrong receipts.

"Importantly, Republicans have more bipartisan friendships than Democrats do. A majority (53 percent) of Republicans say they have at least some friends who are Democrats. In contrast, less than one-third (32 percent) of Democrats say they have at least some Republican friends."

And

"Ending friendships over political disagreements occurs more among liberal and Democratic-leaning Americans. Democrats are twice as likely as Republicans are to report having ended a friendship over a political disagreement (20 percent vs. 10 percent). Political liberals are also far more likely than conservatives are to say they are no longer friends with someone due to political differences (28 percent vs. 10 percent, respectively). No group is more likely to end a friendship over politics than liberal women are; 33 percent say they stopped being friends with someone because of their politics."

"Importantly, Republicans have more bipartisan friendships than Democrats do. A majority (53 percent) of Republicans say they have at least some friends who are Democrats. In contrast, less than one-third (32 percent) of Democrats say they have at least some Republican friends."

And

"Ending friendships over political disagreements occurs more among liberal and Democratic-leaning Americans. Democrats are twice as likely as Republicans are to report having ended a friendship over a political disagreement (20 percent vs. 10 percent). Political liberals are also far more likely than conservatives are to say they are no longer friends with someone due to political differences (28 percent vs. 10 percent, respectively). No group is more likely to end a friendship over politics than liberal women are; 33 percent say they stopped being friends with someone because of their politics."

IMO it is important to note the following as taken from the survey....

Although political disagreements are common, few Americans report having stopped talking to or being friends with someone because of their views about government or politics. Only 15 percent of the public have ended a friendship over politics.

So while Democrats and liberals may be more likely to end a friendship over politics as compared to Republicans, only 15% of Americans let this happen. Thank Heaven for this, as it shows we Americans as a whole aren't completely daffy.

IMO it is important to note the following as taken from the survey....

Although political disagreements are common, few Americans report having stopped talking to or being friends with someone because of their views about government or politics. Only 15 percent of the public have ended a friendship over politics.

So while Democrats and liberals may be more likely to end a friendship over politics as compared to Republicans, only 15% of Americans let this happen. Thank Heaven for this, as it shows we Americans as a whole aren't completely daffy.
Agree, but I think one thing we have to watch is the impact that we may be having on the younger generations as CoH's poll maybe indicates.

And

That's more interesting. Lots of low numbers, though.

The fact that Republicans have more bipartisan friendships that Democrats do probably just means Democrats are more likeable. 😂

It's a survey of college students. He brought the wrong receipts.
I blame Democrats. What a stunning surprise.
I am shocked you don't see the irony in "we are drifting apart and it is ALL YOUR FAULT".
The data is pretty clear. Democrats are more intolerant of Republicans than vice versa. Democrats are more apt to live among their own kind. Even a casual reading of this board shows the truth of this point.

Agree, but I think one thing we have to watch is the impact that we may be having on the younger generations as CoH's poll maybe indicates.

There are other polls showing other problems, which is why I tried hard NOT to ascribe blame to either group. But the groups do not like each other, see NPR story below (based on a Pew poll):

there are 5 negative traits that are polled, closed-minded, dishonest, immoral, unintelligent, and laziness. 53% of Republicans and 43% of Democrats assign at least 4 of 5 to the other party. There is another 10% gap, this time the GOP blames Ds more than Rs. Maybe that's why Ds end the friendships?

I get the friendship problem. A buddy left my gaming group after Trump was elected because there are Trump supporters in the group. I tried to talk him off the ledge, which made him angry at me for not seeing the seriousness of the problem.

But if the Trump supporters in the group see me as close-minded, dishonest, immoral, unintelligent, and lazy, maybe I should have cut them off?

What is very interesting about the poll is the unintelligent question. It is perceived that Ds think Rs are stupid. Here it says that 52% of Ds think Rs are unintelligent, but 51% of Rs think Ds are unintelligent. Not much of a difference.

And the big thing about that Pew poll is the way those numbers are increasing in all categrories.

There are other polls showing other problems, which is why I tried hard NOT to ascribe blame to either group. But the groups do not like each other, see NPR story below (based on a Pew poll):

there are 5 negative traits that are polled, closed-minded, dishonest, immoral, unintelligent, and laziness. 53% of Republicans and 43% of Democrats assign at least 4 of 5 to the other party. There is another 10% gap, this time the GOP blames Ds more than Rs. Maybe that's why Ds end the friendships?

I get the friendship problem. A buddy left my gaming group after Trump was elected because there are Trump supporters in the group. I tried to talk him off the ledge, which made him angry at me for not seeing the seriousness of the problem.

But if the Trump supporters in the group see me as close-minded, dishonest, immoral, unintelligent, and lazy, maybe I should have cut them off?

What is very interesting about the poll is the unintelligent question. It is perceived that Ds think Rs are stupid. Here it says that 52% of Ds think Rs are unintelligent, but 51% of Rs think Ds are unintelligent. Not much of a difference.

And the big thing about that Pew poll is the way those numbers are increasing in all categrories.
Yeah I saw that one too.

I don't know how you walk it back at this point. I think part of what we suffer from is that we, I will use the word hate because I think it honestly applies in many instances, we hate the nebulous idea of the "other". I see people on social media that will post something about the other side that is downright hateful. "If you believe X, you are a very negative thing Y". And you know that you believe X and that person knows that you believe X and they don't believe you are Y.

It is the same thing you would see sometimes in discussions on race. "All blacks are Y." "Well what about Mr. Johnson down the road you bowl with every weekend?" "Well not Mr. Johnson of course, he is one of the good ones..." As people had more opportunity to have interactions, they find out that Mr. Johnson is the norm and those bigoted thoughts tend to dissipate.

We don't intermingle anymore (which gets to your point I think) so it becomes easier to hunker down in our bunkers.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Your NPR link is a perfect example of why Democrats and liberals (This time in the guise of NPR) are the problem. The article starts with “The age of Trump has been hotly polarizing. . . “ . What is that supposed to even mean? NPR has fallen into the trap, like so many, of imputing Trump’s worst qualities to a whole party. Yeah, Trump is a bore, , thin-skinned, impulsive, and abusive to some people. But that doesn’t signal an “age.” It signals a person with personalty issues. Zeke mentioned the other day that Trump affected all of us. That is BS. He affects people who are susceptible to his bluster. We end up with words like “Trumpist,” and “Trumper,” and “we don’t hate” yard signs because the left imputes Trump’s worst qualities to anybody who voted for him. This tendency to define everything non-left in terms of Trump lies at the epicenter of your thread.

Biden has lied and lied and lied about himself, about the death of his family members, about his political opponents and more for decades. He is still lying about that. He never was the sharpest mental knife in the drawer. Now he is worse. I don’t notice any Republican calling Democrats Bidenists. The Trump patina over politics is the problem, and the left and the Democrats advance that. Why? They have nothing else to talk about. .

Why cannot we just believe folks in different parties see things differently. This then leads to offering different solutions to problems. Also we see some problems as being more important than others.

There can be many solutions to problems. Sometimes solutions come from one party with a large majority. Other times they come from a consensus. All solutions are subject to a trial and error period. During this period adjustments can be made.

Of overall importance is having faith in the system and not becoming too divided. When divisiveness reaches a certain level and we no longer have faith in our elections then we will no longer have a democratic republic. When and if this happens, I know how we will react...we of course will blame the other party.

Your NPR link is a perfect example of why Democrats and liberals (This time in the guise of NPR) are the problem. The article starts with “The age of Trump has been hotly polarizing. . . “ . What is that supposed to even mean? NPR has fallen into the trap, like so many, of imputing Trump’s worst qualities to a whole party. Yeah, Trump is a bore, , thin-skinned, impulsive, and abusive to some people. But that doesn’t signal an “age.” It signals a person with personalty issues. Zeke mentioned the other day that Trump affected all of us. That is BS. He affects people who are susceptible to his bluster. We end up with words like “Trumpist,” and “Trumper,” and “we don’t hate” yard signs because the left imputes Trump’s worst qualities to anybody who voted for him. This tendency to define everything non-left in terms of Trump lies at the epicenter of your thread.

Biden has lied and lied and lied about himself, about the death of his family members, about his political opponents and more for decades. He is still lying about that. He never was the sharpest mental knife in the drawer. Now he is worse. I don’t notice any Republican calling Democrats Bidenists. The Trump patina over politics is the problem, and the left and the Democrats advance that. Why? They have nothing else to talk about. .

Hmm, I am at a competitive disadvantage because my big point is that we have a problem even being around each other because we keep saying "you guys suck". Your response is "you guys suck". I don't want to fall victim to doing that back because it defeats the purpose. So have fun carrying on your crusade.

Why cannot we just believe folks in different parties see things differently. This then leads to offering different solutions to problems. Also we see some problems as being more important than others.

There can be many solutions to problems. Sometimes solutions come from one party with a large majority. Other times they come from a consensus. All solutions are subject to a trial and error period. During this period adjustments can be made.

Of overall importance is having faith in the system and not becoming too divided. When divisiveness reaches a certain level and we no longer have faith in our elections then we will no longer have a democratic republic. When and if this happens, I know how we will react...we of course will blame the other party.
An issue, real or perceived, is that the parties have gotten into culture wars. It exploded with the summer of love, Covid, trump and wokeism. This stuff feels more intimate, more personal, than typical gov functions and resonates and polarizes people in a heightened way. Add media and social media and we’re all roided up

Hmm, I am at a competitive disadvantage because my big point is that we have a problem even being around each other because we keep saying "you guys suck". Your response is "you guys suck". I don't want to fall victim to doing that back because it defeats the purpose. So have fun carrying on your crusade.
C’mon marv. I’ve been called a Trumpist and a Trumper often on this board. Why? I voted for him twice and said why often. Those words are tossed around here daily. They are not complimentary. Noticing that and app,ying it to the point if your thread is not saying “you guys suck”. It is saying the problem is not as bilateral as you would like to believe.

An issue, real or perceived, is that the parties have gotten into culture wars. It exploded with the summer of love, Covid, trump and wokeism. This stuff feels more intimate, more personal, than typical gov functions and resonates and polarizes people in a heightened way. Add media and social media and we’re all roided up
I just can't imagine being at a bar or whatever. Talking to other lubed up patrons. And then decide to talk about Joe Biden or Donald Trump. Why?

Anybody that does sucks as a human. Let's just shoot pool or something. Talk about dumb shit and women.

I just can't imagine being at a bar or whatever. Talking to other lubed up patrons. And then decide to talk about Joe Biden or Donald Trump. Why?

Anybody that does sucks as a human. Let's just shoot pool or something. Talk about dumb shit and women.
Oh for sure. Although I will say two of my old teammates got into it pretty good on our group chat and one left and never came back. Posting a meme too many times. It’s bizarre that people just presume we all think alike bc we share commonalities

To save free speech, we must stifle conservative speech. Here are 550 (and counting) left-wingers in the publishing and opinion-making business exacerbating political divisions by objecting to Justice Barrett’s story.. For the left, political peace and compatibility is for conservatives to STFU.

Reactions: jet812
C’mon marv. I’ve been called a Trumpist and a Trumper often on this board. Why? I voted for him twice and said why often. Those words are tossed around here daily. They are not complimentary. Noticing that and app,ying it to the point if your thread is not saying “you guys suck”. It is saying the problem is not as bilateral as you would like to believe.

And liberals are never called socialists? How many ads do you think I can find touting Biden's socialist agenda? Or Obama's socialist agenda?

And liberals are never called socialists? How many ads do you think I can find touting Biden's socialist agenda? Or Obama's socialist agenda?
You can find many. But those ads are directed at Biden and Obama. That’s not the same thing as going after voters because of how they voted. I think your point in this thread is about how we treat each other, not what we say about those in government.

Reactions: jet812
You can find many. But those ads are directed at Biden and Obama. That’s not the same thing as going after voters because of how they voted. I think your point in this thread is about how we treat each other, not what we say about those in government.
You've got it, I've never been called a socialist.

• Haha
Reactions: HomesteadDrive

CoH, do you ever find yourself wishing you had more Republicans in your neighborhood ? :)

• Haha
Reactions: CO. Hoosier
You've got it, I've never been called a socialist.
MtM,
I am in awe of your stamina in swimming upstream against this ever-shifting tide of bullshit, all while not getting any on you.
Regardless of the size of the landslide, your opponent has been taught to never concede, and to continue to claim victory, even in the absence of any evidence, and with full knowledge of just how much bullshit is flowing.
Keep fighting the good fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT