ADVERTISEMENT

Caught this earlier today about the Coach Cal hire. It's amazing what a meeting can produce.

DDE-6-20-23

Benchwarmer
Feb 15, 2024
I was one of those that was pretty blown away Coach Cal took the Arkansas job. I mean the dude wins and gets results. I got a kick out of how this all went down and the 3 words..."Why Not You". It started with a call from food giant John Tyson...Yup that Tyson. Anyways enjoy.

"Football schools" will eventually reign supreme. Giving Bama fans a taste of the Final 4 is an ender.

Their facilities and NIL money will crush us, and the Big East darlings.

This quote is a bit of a gut punch:

"That got me to where I had to listen," Calipari said. "I'll say it again. Basketball coaches win games. Administrations win championships. You know why? Because they want to and it's important to them."​
Parting shot at Mitch?

This quote is a bit of a gut punch:

"That got me to where I had to listen," Calipari said. "I'll say it again. Basketball coaches win games. Administrations win championships. You know why? Because they want to and it's important to them."​
So, Cal’s blaming the UK administration for his lack of championships? 🙄
I guess that’s why he took a pay cut.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
I was one of those that was pretty blown away Coach Cal took the Arkansas job. I mean the dude wins and gets results. I got a kick out of how this all went down and the 3 words..."Why Not You". It started with a call from food giant John Tyson...Yup that Tyson. Anyways enjoy.

I wasn’t a bit surprised. Kentucky has been wanting to get rid of him for a couple of years. This way he could save face and leave on his own terms and get out of the pressure cooker. I think Cal is a good recruiter and a bad coach, as did much of the UK fan base.

"Football schools" will eventually reign supreme. Giving Bama fans a taste of the Final 4 is an ender.

Their facilities and NIL money will crush us, and the Big East darlings.
UCONN just went back to back. 3 of the 4 final four schools are predominantly bball schools.

Alabama doesn't give a shit about bball and they never will.

I wasn’t a bit surprised. Kentucky has been wanting to get rid of him for a couple of years. This way he could save face and leave on his own terms and get out of the pressure cooker. I think Cal is a good recruiter and a bad coach, as did much of the UK fan base.

The KY fans I know didn't like the one and done approach with all the roster turnover that entailed but were willing to go along with it as long as it brought FFs and championships. When KY's on court performance started to decline, the fans got restless. The early exits the last two years had them up in arms. Cal got out while he could still do so on his own terms.

I can't call Cal a bad coach at all...Just bored and prolly had it with the prima donna pussies at the top of the basketball chain. Those guys are probably a pain in the ass to deal with. He's taken 3 different teams to Final Fours, UMASS, Memphis, and Kentucky and won a championship. I'm not sure, but amongst ACTIVE coaches does anyone have a better record? So a fresh start and builds should get him back on track.

The KY fans I know didn't like the one and done approach with all the roster turnover that entailed but were willing to go along with it as long as it brought FFs and championships. When KY's on court performance started to decline, the fans got restless. The early exits the last two years had them up in arms. Cal got out while he could still do so on his own terms.
I agree, BUT the past couple seasons the SEC has improved leaps and bounds in hoops. Kentucky fans don't wanna hear that though. This year they had 8 teams make the tourney. We're talking the SEC here that's gotta be an all time high mark. There is some legit hoops in that conference and some good coaches too. Time will tell.

Edit: The fact that the AD at Arkansas said "why not you". That blew him away I think.

Sounds like those UK fans are like the ones I know (some family on the wife's side from Owensboro). Recency Bias is a helluva drug. They've more or less run off two coaches in Tubby and Cal that won nearly 700 games, 13 SEC titles, 21 NCAA appearances, 2 titles, played for a third, 6 additional Elite 8's and 2 other Final Fours in 25 seasons.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT