ADVERTISEMENT

Early Voting

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
So my wife and I went to Bedford and voted early. Democrats and Republicans both in the room. Had to show valid drivers license to vote. It was checked against your registration. Why do democrats fight against Voter ID?

With early voting I don’t get the need for millions of mail in voters.

Florida is the third most populous state in the country and will have their results on election night. Any state SoS who tells you they can't do the same should be removed.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Why do democrats fight against Voter ID?
I think most are for voter ID, but there has to be a system that would issue voter IDs to all citizens, regardless of whether they have a driver's license, regardless of whether they are homeless, etc.

It sounds simple to say that you have to show a driver's license, or two utility bills addressed to you, or a passport, or a social security card. But some US citizens would be excluded by that. Do you think the homeless guy on the park bench has any of that? If he can otherwise prove that he is a citizen, shouldn't he be allowed to vote?

Some states have tried to issue voter ID laws without thinking it through. I think it was one of the Dakotas that passed a law that you have to have a permanent street address to vote. It was thrown out, not just because of the homeless situation, but because every single Native American living on any reservation was prevented from legally voting. By law they have a PO box assigned to the reservation and none have a street address.

The way it works in Florida is I have to show ID to get on the voter roll for the first time. Then after that, I merely need to know my address, the last 4 digits of my social security number, and maybe answer questions that I set up at the first registration, such as first childhood pet's name, mother's maiden name, etc. I have to sign, but I don't know how closely they go off of that. Signatures even of the same person are notoriously variable over time and a non-expert could make a ton of mistakes.

Reactions: largemouth
Florida is the third most populous state in the country and will have their results on election night. Any state SoS who tells you they can't do the same should be removed.
No, any SoS who is given the authority to count the mail-in votes as they come in can certainly do it.

My mail-in vote, in Florida, sent in last Wednesday, was just counted.

If I lived in Pennsylvania, as I understand it, my vote could not be counted until after the polls closed on election day. Which is stupid, and allows Trump's false allegations of "massive dumps" of votes to sway the stupid.

Bullshit and you know it. State law prevents ballot processing before the polls close in some states.
Still no excuse for taking 4, 5, 6, or 7 days. California might count for 10. No excuse for any state to not have all ballots counted by noon on Wednesday.

Still no excuse for taking 4, 5, 6, or 7 days. California might count for 10. No excuse for any state to not have all ballots counted by noon on Wednesday.
Do you insist on only hand counting, by volunteers? With some volunteers working under death threats? With mandatory recounts required for a certain degree of narrow margin?

My vote is read by an optical scanner. I get a printout of who I voted for, if I want it. I can't imagine the workload of volunteers in a huge county like mine (Palm Beach) if they had to count every single ballot. And face hatred all the while.

Reactions: UncleMark

I suppose if they throw a shit ton of people and hardware at it you would be right. Going by how it's handled in Indiana, the ballots would have to be removed from the envelopes, manually unfolded and flattened, and run through the scanner/tabulator. All that after the polls close. Then and only then are the votes counted. On election day, the voter feeds the ballot into the scanner directly, and the vote is immediately counted.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
So my wife and I went to Bedford and voted early. Democrats and Republicans both in the room. Had to show valid drivers license to vote. It was checked against your registration.

Here in Bton, I was in and out in ten, maybe fifteen minutes. The longest time I spent was at the very beginning, where the old gal spent a lot of time eyeing my ID and signature.

Why do democrats fight against Voter ID?

The objections by most are lame, but the devil is in the details. Shooter mentioned the situation with the natives on the Rez. Others I've heard are that in TX(?) a hunting license is good but a student ID is not.

Mainly, the sane objections come down to it being a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and it creating more hoops for everyone to jump through, including the election workers. The setup that they have at the voting station here in Bton to do the whole ID verification thing has to have cost a bunch.

Reactions: stollcpa
Well that’s exactly what was going to happen in Georgia due to the election board saying all votes had to be hand counted. Federal judge said not happening. The Dancing Orange Orangutan praised them. Seriously, millions of votes counted the same day. You’re just stupid. Just saw a news reporter who said he talked to 50 cult members in California last week and 30 believed the Orange Orangutan won that state in 2020. He lost that state by 5 million votes. I’m sure you believe it too as you are one of his generals.
And what a stable genius he is. Talking about Arnold Palmer’s penis size at a PA rally this last weekend. A disgusting human being over compensating. Yeah that’s who I want my grandkids to look up to.

Well that’s exactly what was going to happen in Georgia due to the election board saying all votes had to be hand counted. Federal judge said not happening. The Dancing Orange Orangutan praised them. Seriously, millions of votes counted the same day. You’re just stupid. Just saw a news reporter who said he talked to 50 cult members in California last week and 30 believed the Orange Orangutan won that state in 2020. He lost that state by 5 million votes. I’m sure you believe it too as you are one of his generals.
And what a stable genius he is. Talking about Arnold Palmer’s penis size at a PA rally this last weekend. A disgusting human being over compensating. Yeah that’s who I want my grandkids to look up to.
But you’re okay with your grandkids looking up to trans sexual’s , men in women bathrooms. And baby killers! You’re a special kind of stupid.

establishing a national ID card would solve the "problem"

Conspiracy theorists would howl. Big brother is watching!
It would be expensive
The requirements would be debated forever.
The word problem is in quotes for a reason. Is it REALLY a problem? What is the evidence? Trump's rants are not evidence.

establishing a national ID card would solve the "problem"

Conspiracy theorists would howl. Big brother is watching!
It would be expensive
The requirements would be debated forever.
The word problem is in quotes for a reason. Is it REALLY a problem? What is the evidence? Trump's rants are not evidence.
The Social Security data is readily available for any state to use and cross-reference to ensure voter roll integrity. Youngkin did it quite easily in Virginia. That is if that state is interested in running a secure election, which unfortunately many Democrat run states are not.

Accurate. If FL, OH, and TX can as well as every other non third world country in the world can there are no excuses. Unless

Do you insist on only hand counting, by volunteers? With some volunteers working under death threats? With mandatory recounts required for a certain degree of narrow margin?

My vote is read by an optical scanner. I get a printout of who I voted for, if I want it. I can't imagine the workload of volunteers in a huge county like mine (Palm Beach) if they had to count every single ballot. And face hatred all the while.
...'and face hatred all the while'....

Bwahahahahaha!

What a sorry little cheese puff!

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The Social Security data is readily available for any state to use and cross-reference to ensure voter roll integrity. Youngkin did it quite easily in Virginia. That is if that state is interested in running a secure election, which unfortunately many Democrat run states are not.
For the homeless guy sleeping on the park bench, how can he prove who he is? If he was born here, at some point he had a SS card. That record may be on file. But how do you know he's the person he claims to be? You going to investigate every one?

I realize this is an extreme example and Mr. homeless guy probably hasn't voted and probably doesn't want to vote. But he also should not be EXCLUDED from any possibility of voting.

For the homeless guy sleeping on the park bench, how can he prove who he is? If he was born here, at some point he had a SS card. That record may be on file. But how do you know he's the person he claims to be? You going to investigate every one?

I realize this is an extreme example and Mr. homeless guy probably hasn't voted and probably doesn't want to vote. But he also should not be EXCLUDED from any possibility of voting.
I don’t even know what point you’re trying to make. If Mr homeless guy wants to vote, he needs to go get identification and then register using his SSN. The state can then cross reference that registration against SS data to ensure he’s a citizen.

If FL, OH, and TX can as well as every other non third world country in the world can there are no excuses.
In the case of Pennsylvania, the "excuse" is legislation passed by the GOP-controlled state legislature BANNING any counting of votes prior to the polls closing on election day.

FL, OH, TX all allow that, and so they are counted even in advance.

This has been explained to you 100 times. Does it ever sink in?

Too bad.
The Founders didn't foresee non-contributors having the right to vote.

About 7% of U.S. citizens – or more than 16 million Americans – cannot present a government-issued photo ID

13% of Black Americans lack proper voter identification, compared to just 5% of white Americans. Some also don't have the means to travel to a courthouse to get it. That goes for the poor, elderly, and disabled.

The rate of fraud specifically tied to voter IDs has been shown to be less than 0.0025%. Most of those 0.0025% are in fact human error, not intentional fraud. Say, a poll worker had two men named John C. Hoosier on the voting rolls and check off the wrong one when he came to vote. Did that John C. Hoosier really commit voter fraud?

It's a fantasized problem. Prove me wrong.

In the case of Pennsylvania, the "excuse" is legislation passed by the GOP-controlled state legislature BANNING any counting of votes prior to the polls closing on election day.

FL, OH, TX all allow that, and so they are counted even in advance.

This has been explained to you 100 times. Does it ever sink in?
Are you saying election laws and any changes have to be approved by the state legislatures or else it would be an unconstitutional election?

So my wife and I went to Bedford and voted early. Democrats and Republicans both in the room. Had to show valid drivers license to vote. It was checked against your registration. Why do democrats fight against Voter ID?

Because Colorado's mail-in voting system is superior to the voting process in Indiana.

And I live 16 hours from Bedford so I can't simply stop by Bedford to vote.

Are you saying election laws and any changes have to be approved by the state legislatures or else it would be an unconstitutional election?
States control election protocols. It is usually the legislature. I think some states allow the Governor to make "emergency changes", such as what happened under COVID and they did reasonably did not want massive hoardes of people showing up to all vote together, so mail-ins and dropboxes were allowed. Super secure types of voting. If you disagree what they are super secure, show evidence. Trump's whiny rants are, again, not evidence.

• Haha
Actually, it's not remotely accurate. It's simply that the swing states are the only ones you hear about, because they can't be called by the media until a significant amount of the results are in.
Which states have their votes counted earlier in a average? Red or blue?

I'm a Democrat and not against them. It just think they should be 100% free and extremely easy to get. Every post office, DMV, library, court House, and town hall should be able to issue one. Election day should also be a national holiday. Polling sites on every street corner. Their should be zero hurdles for any legal ages citizen to vote. I'm sure you're for all of that too. Why wouldn't you be?

I'm a Democrat and not against them. It just think they should be 100% free and extremely easy to get. Every post office, DMV, library, court House, and town hall should be able to issue one. Election day should also be a national holiday. Polling sites on every street corner. Their should be zero hurdles for any legal ages citizen to vote. I'm sure you're for all of that too. Why wouldn't you be?
Agree

Great! You sound like a Democrat. Certainly progressive. Theirs hope for you after all. 😂

And here in lies the problem in our country. I bet an overwhelming % of the country agrees. Then why can't Republican and Democratic law makers get this shit done?

Great! You sound like a Democrat. Certainly progressive. Theirs hope for you after all. 😂

And here in lies the problem in our country. I bet an overwhelming % of the country agrees. Then why can't Republican and Democratic law makers get this shit done?
dem and repub lawmakers are serial liars who are paranoid bc they recognize same so without trust they both want to game the system any way they can: from lax restrictions to strict restrictions to gerrymandering to all the rest that they hope will inure to their team's benefit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT