ADVERTISEMENT

Durham probe

Post the link. I want in.
My guess is that it is No Labels. The Post is quoted in the Wiki article about it that it is raising $70 million. I love the idea, but google it, the donors are overwhelmingly heavily conservative (for example Harlan Crow and Rupert Murdoch). These don't seem like people wanting a centrist party.

Forward Party is organizing, I signed up and get emails. They aren't going to run a president though.

"Trusted foreign source?" If that a direct quote from the intro? Highly misleading. In the relevant section of the report he calls it "Russian intelligence analysis" which the US IC does not know the accuracy of or the extent it might be "exaggeration or fabrication." LOL.
Sounds like a pretty good source. Whoever it was, got it right: Clinton did, in fact, do that.
The Clinton campaign commissioned the Steele Dossier. What is that if not a “plan to vilify Donald Trump by stirring up a scandal claiming interference by Russian security services”

The Russian security services were just confirming what was already self evident had anyone given the dossier a second look.
What might very well have happened is this: Steele went out looking for info and talked to Russian sources. Those Russian sources fed him a line about Trump, which he put in his report and passed it on and Clinton ran with it. Those Russian sources (or others handling them) then reported to the CIA about the Clinton plan to tarnish Trump. (I think Rachel McAdams does something similar in Mean Girls, which should be watched by all spy agencies everywhere).

In other words, this whole thing might just be one Russian op designed to set our democracy against itself. Dan Carlin actually talked about something similar on his Common Sense podcast in the fall of 2016 leading up to the election based on conversations he'd had with people in the intelligence community.

Oh FFS. Argumentative? Neither report is argumentative. They are both written in the same dry style. What Durham does do that Mueller didn't is make use of loaded language to try to score political points throughout the report, even though the report itself lands empty. Trump supporters are suckered in by this loaded language to argue that Durham found a lot. Not true.
He found the 2 things I listed. The report says there was definitely bias from a procedural and policy standpoint. Probably even legal.

He leaves some wiggle room on the first thing I listed. It’s why there are two options.

Let’s see. Who am I leaving out? Dot, Faa (Boeing), cdc, nih, fbi, irs
During my career I had to deal with the FDA, OSHA and DOL.

The FDA was the absolute worst. During an inspection by a smarmy, snarky, over-credentialed kid, my Chief Engineer and I had to waste three days explaining inventory control, specifically the accounting for samples and product shortages or overages. He just could not understand how the actual inventory on hand could ever deviate from that shown in the computers. Refused to believe in human error in quarterly inventory counts or mistakes in recording inventory items being received or shipped.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
My guess is that it is No Labels. The Post is quoted in the Wiki article about it that it is raising $70 million. I love the idea, but google it, the donors are overwhelmingly heavily conservative (for example Harlan Crow and Rupert Murdoch). These don't seem like people wanting a centrist party.

Forward Party is organizing, I signed up and get emails. They aren't going to run a president though.
No Labels? Awful name. Forget it. I want some name like Eagle Fang if I'm signing up.

I was using "investigation" as a synonym for "further examination." Regardless, the point is, even Durham recognizes the FBI had to look into this info. He takes issue with how they did it.
“Then he says that the FBI had an affirmative duty to look into this information. What he takes issue with is the waythe investigation was opened.”

That’s what you wrote. The implication you made was that Durham took exception to the way the investigation started but not with the investigation itself.

But that’s not even close to what he said, at least in the part you quoted. He only said that that information warranted further examination.

YOU are the one who conflated examination with investigation in order to claim that Durham didnt say the investigation wasn’t warranted, when that’s not anywhere NEAR what he said.

Again, you’re doing the exact same thing you constantly roast others for doing.

Reactions: DANC and snarlcakes
Sounds like a pretty good source. Whoever it was, got it right: Clinton did, in fact, do that.

What might very well have happened is this: Steele went out looking for info and talked to Russian sources. Those Russian sources fed him a line about Trump, which he put in his report and passed it on and Clinton ran with it. Those Russian sources (or others handling them) then reported to the CIA about the Clinton plan to tarnish Trump. (I think Rachel McAdams does something similar in Mean Girls, which should be watched by all spy agencies everywhere).

In other words, this whole thing might just be one Russian op designed to set our democracy against itself. Dan Carlin actually talked about something similar on his Common Sense podcast in the fall of 2016 leading up to the election based on conversations he'd had with people in the intelligence community.
Clinton didn't run with Steele at all. The campaign dropped it. Steele brought it to the FBI himself.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
“Then he says that the FBI had an affirmative duty to look into this information. What he takes issue with is the waythe investigation was opened.”

That’s what you wrote. The implication you made was that Durham took exception to the way the investigation started but not with the investigation itself.

But that’s not even close to what he said, at least in the part you quoted. He only said that that information warranted further examination.

YOU are the one who conflated examination with investigation in order to claim that Durham didnt say the investigation wasn’t warranted, when that’s not anywhere NEAR what he said.

Again, you’re doing the exact same thing you constantly roast others for doing.
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your criticism here. He explicitly said the FBI should have investigated the intelligence. And nowhere does he say an investigation isn't warranted. I'm correct about that. Instead, he repeatedly reminds us that the FBI skipped more cautionary investigative steps to leap to a "full investigation." The implication seems to be that the FBI should have started with only a "preliminary investigation."

Reactions: tbone6004
He found the 2 things I listed. The report says there was definitely bias from a procedural and policy standpoint. Probably even legal.

He leaves some wiggle room on the first thing I listed. It’s why there are two options.
I'll not deny the appearance of bias. That's clearly in the report. It's the other leaps people are making that simply aren't justified. And I am right that Durham is at least partially responsible for that because of his use of loaded language and his heavy anti-Clinton bias.

• Haha
Clinton didn't run with Steele at all. The campaign dropped it. Steele brought it to the FBI himself.
Do you have a link for this? I haven't followed this closely.

I found this article (by a recognized Repub partisan), that says Durham's previous charging docs implied that the Clinton campaign was pushing the Steele dossier with the govt leading up to the election:

'In September, Durham indicted former Perkins-Coie attorney Michael Sussmann for making a false statement to the FBI while peddling Trump-Russia allegations that the bureau eventually found unsubstantiated. Durham alleges that Sussmann concealed that he was working for the Clinton campaign and a tech executive who was hoping for an important government job if Clinton was elected.

Durham’s charging instruments suggest that the Clinton campaign used its agents to peddle the Trump-Russia rumors to the government and the media, then used the fact that Trump was being investigated as part of its campaign messaging."

I found this article (by a recognized Repub partisan), that says Durham's previous charging docs implied that the Clinton campaign was pushing the Steele dossier with the govt leading up to the election:

'In September, Durham indicted former Perkins-Coie attorney Michael Sussmann for making a false statement to the FBI while peddling Trump-Russia allegations that the bureau eventually found unsubstantiated. Durham alleges that Sussmann concealed that he was working for the Clinton campaign and a tech executive who was hoping for an important government job if Clinton was elected.

Durham’s charging instruments suggest that the Clinton campaign used its agents to peddle the Trump-Russia rumors to the government and the media, then used the fact that Trump was being investigated as part of its campaign messaging."

I thought Sussmann was pushing the Alfa Bank thing, which had nothing to do with Steele.

Here is the Wiki, of course it has footnotes if you go to the article:

On his own initiative, Steele decided to also pass the information to British and American intelligence services because he believed the findings were a matter of national security for both countries.[5][27] In 2018, Steele told a UK parliamentary investigation that Theresa May's British government covered up the evidence he provided them of Trump's Russian ties and took no actions, and that Boris Johnson suppressed a report about the intelligence in the dossier that was prepared by Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee.[65] After long delay, the report was published on July 21, 2020.[66]
According to Simpson's testimony, Steele, who enjoyed a good working reputation "for the knowledge he had developed over nearly 20 years working on Russia-related issues for British intelligence,[67] approached the FBI because he was concerned that Trump, then a candidate, was being blackmailed by Russia,[68] and he became "very concerned about whether this represented a national security threat".[5] Steele believed the intelligence community "needed urgently to know—if it didn't already—that the next possible U.S. president was potentially under the sway of Russia".[69]
In early July 2016, Steele called seasoned FBI agent Michael Gaeta, who was stationed in Rome, and asked him to come to London so he could show him his findings. Because he was assigned to the U.S. embassy in Rome, Gaeta sought and was granted approval for the trip from Victoria Nuland, who was then the Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs. When he arrived in London on July 5, 2016, he met with Steele at his office,[68] and he was given a copy of Steele's first report, dated June 20, 2016 (Report 80).[70]: 95  His reaction was "shock and horror".[68] Alarmed by what he read, Gaeta remarked, "I have to show this to headquarters".[71]

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your criticism here. He explicitly said the FBI should have investigated the intelligence. And nowhere does he say an investigation isn't warranted. I'm correct about that. Instead, he repeatedly reminds us that the FBI skipped more cautionary investigative steps to leap to a "full investigation." The implication seems to be that the FBI should have started with only a "preliminary investigation."
No, he didn’t. He said they had an obligation to further “examine” that intelligence, which you are conflating with an investigation.

They could have examined that without opening a full investigation.

You are using that vague language to imply that Durham didn’t disagree that a full investigation was warranted.

Reactions: DANC and snarlcakes
Furthermore, an even cursory examination of the “evidence” would have convinced a non partisan FBI that it was all bullshit and that a full investigation wasn’t warranted.

Again, nothing you’ve mentioned in this thread makes the fbi look any better, despite your best efforts.

Reactions: DANC and Indianaftw
I'll not deny the appearance of bias. That's clearly in the report. It's the other leaps people are making that simply aren't justified. And I am right that Durham is at least partially responsible for that because of his use of loaded language and his heavy anti-Clinton bias.
I don’t feel I’ve made a “leap”. Those seem to be the conclusions (that’s probably not the best word) of the report.
I don’t agree with Durham’s reform recommendations. I’m not even sure they go along with the problems he discusses in the report. We don’t need a “career position for a nonpartisan FBI agent or lawyer to challenge the FISA application and every other stage of the investigation”.

I think that is the role of the federal courts.
This scenario shows a failure of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

Oh FFS. Argumentative? Neither report is argumentative. They are both written in the same dry style. What Durham does do that Mueller didn't is make use of loaded language to try to score political points throughout the report, even though the report itself lands empty. Trump supporters are suckered in by this loaded language to argue that Durham found a lot. Not true.
I’ll agree Durham didn’t report a lot of new stuff. Much if what he described was already out there, but largely ignored by the MSM. It was put in the Whoop dee f*cking doo.file along with Hillary’s emails, Hunter’s lap top and Joe’s bribes.

Ok.

That’s not what you were saying earlier in this thread when you explicitly referenced “the investigation”.
My fault for being sloppy. I was on my phone.

Furthermore, an even cursory examination of the “evidence” would have convinced a non partisan FBI that it was all bullshit and that a full investigation wasn’t warranted.

Again, nothing you’ve mentioned in this thread makes the fbi look any better, despite your best efforts.
I'm not trying to make the FBI look better. One of my very first comments was to the effect that this looked bad for the FBI. I'm just pushing back against the idea being floated that the report somehow exposes some huge deal that we should all be outraged about.

But, I do not agree that "a nonpartisan FBI" would have concluded it was all bullshit and no further investigation was warranted. As I said above in the discussion about comparing this to the Clinton thing, there were unique circumstances in this case which called for extra scrutiny:

1. The impetus of the inquiry were alleged statements made by an actual member of the Trump campaign.
2. Those statements were reported to us directly from a trusted ally whose agent was personally present.
3. Those statements were made in the context of actual real world events that happened shortly after they were made, which seemed to align closely with what the alleged statements predicted.
4. The foreign government involved in those events is decidedly an adversary of American interests.
5. There was other intelligence that indicated this adversary did in fact intend to attempt to meddle in our election.

Durham glosses over all that by stressing that P's original statements were unverified (not that he didn't say it, but that it wasn't verified that he was speaking the truth), and that the other contextual factors weren't included in the original documentation opening the investigation (while conceding nevertheless that they were discussed when the opening was being considered).

So, long story short, I think there was good reason for the FBI to look into this, even with a non-partisan lens.

Reactions: tbone6004
My fault for being sloppy. I was on my phone.

I'm not trying to make the FBI look better. One of my very first comments was to the effect that this looked bad for the FBI. I'm just pushing back against the idea being floated that the report somehow exposes some huge deal that we should all be outraged about.

But, I do not agree that "a nonpartisan FBI" would have concluded it was all bullshit and no further investigation was warranted. As I said above in the discussion about comparing this to the Clinton thing, there were unique circumstances in this case which called for extra scrutiny:

1. The impetus of the inquiry were alleged statements made by an actual member of the Trump campaign.
2. Those statements were reported to us directly from a trusted ally whose agent was personally present.
3. Those statements were made in the context of actual real world events that happened shortly after they were made, which seemed to align closely with what the alleged statements predicted.
4. The foreign government involved in those events is decidedly an adversary of American interests.
5. There was other intelligence that indicated this adversary did in fact intend to attempt to meddle in our election.

Durham glosses over all that by stressing that P's original statements were unverified (not that he didn't say it, but that it wasn't verified that he was speaking the truth), and that the other contextual factors weren't included in the original documentation opening the investigation (while conceding nevertheless that they were discussed when the opening was being considered).

So, long story short, I think there was good reason for the FBI to look into this, even with a non-partisan lens.
I think part (not close to all) of the problem was the FBI overestimating Steele. He sent the info also to MI6 and CIA. Both deal with that sort of unsourced international info far more often.

Steele was personally convinced he was onto something. So he probably sounded very confident meeting with the FBI. They may have just felt, "hey, this guy clearly knows how this goes".

Again, that is just a partial explanation.

I don’t feel I’ve made a “leap”. Those seem to be the conclusions (that’s probably not the best word) of the report.
I don’t agree with Durham’s reform recommendations. I’m not even sure they go along with the problems he discusses in the report. We don’t need a “career position for a nonpartisan FBI agent or lawyer to challenge the FISA application and every other stage of the investigation”.

I think that is the role of the federal courts.
This scenario shows a failure of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.
No, I don't think you've made any crazy leaps. Your posting in this thread has been pretty straightforward. My only complaint with your posting was when you quoted from Durham's Executive Summary a section that is so misrepresentative of the facts as actually reported in the body of the report, it flies well past the line of investigative malpractice and right into the region of intentional falsehood:

How did the FBI handle…”highly significant intelligence it received from a trusted foreign source pointing to a Clinton campaign plan to vilify Trump by tying him to Vladimir Putin so as to divert attention from her own concerns relating to her use of a private email server”
But, of course, that's not your fault. You were just taking Durham at his word.

I think part (not close to all) of the problem was the FBI overestimating Steele. He sent the info also to MI6 and CIA. Both deal with that sort of unsourced international info far more often.

Steele was personally convinced he was onto something. So he probably sounded very confident meeting with the FBI. They may have just felt, "hey, this guy clearly knows how this goes".

Again, that is just a partial explanation.
That's a good point. Another possibility I must concede is that, had the FBI done their job correctly, they would have still opened up the investigation, but also would have wrapped it up long before Mueller became a necessity.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
The Clinton campaign commissioned the Steele Dossier. What is that if not a “plan to vilify Donald Trump by stirring up a scandal claiming interference by Russian security services”

The Russian security services were just confirming what was already self evident had anyone given the dossier a second look.
The "Clinton Plan" as referenced in the Durham Report has nothing to do with the Steele dossier.

The FDA was the absolute worst. During an inspection by a smarmy, snarky, over-credentialed kid, my Chief Engineer and I had to waste three days explaining inventory control, specifically the accounting for samples and product shortages or overages. He just could not understand how the actual inventory on hand could ever deviate from that shown in the computers. Refused to believe in human error in quarterly inventory counts or mistakes in recording inventory items being received or shipped.
Paper shredding involved the FDA? What for?

Clinesmith got 12 month’s probation. As you said, no jail time. I was happy to see the acquittals. Good on them. They didn’t cave to coercive plea bargains. A favorite of DOJ prosecutors. A win for our jury system
In federal court it's usually the defense attorneys who are pressuring their clients to plead. That's because acquittals in federal court are exceedingly rare. The fact that both cases Durham took to trial ended in acquittals speaks to how shitty the cases were.

I think part (not close to all) of the problem was the FBI overestimating Steele
That was a significant part of the problem. The FBI never verified any if it, and by using Steele info as part of its verified application for FISA warrants breached reasonable standards of care. The FBI “overestimating” Steele was not a minor matter. Steele gave Comey, McCabe, and Strzok exactly what they wanted to hear.

A month after the FBI was given the Steele info, Brennan went to Obama and said it was a Clinton campaign op. Obama did nothing.

In federal court it's usually the defense attorneys who are pressuring their clients to plead. That's because acquittals in federal court are exceedingly rare. The fact that both cases Durham took to trial ended in acquittals speaks to how shitty the cases were.
In our system…prosecutors are supposed to be forced to prove the guilt of the accused beyond a reasonable doubt. This was a win for our system. It shouldn’t be seen as a knock on Durham.

By the way….we need fewer federal prosecutors on the federal bench and more with backgrounds in criminal defense. It starts with the nomination process but the Senate does not have to confirm

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

I used to work around this woman who was batshit crazy. Her husband was some high up in FDA dealing with imports and he supposedly had secret service protection because of his job. We never knew, she also thought that a ''train'' that was actually a garden tractor with a costume that gave kids rides around a garden center needed registered with homeland security since it was called a train

That was a significant part of the problem. The FBI never verified any if it, and by using Steele info as part of its verified application for FISA warrants breached reasonable standards of care. The FBI “overestimating” Steele was not a minor matter. Steele gave Comey, McCabe, and Strzok exactly what they wanted to hear.

A month after the FBI was given the Steele info, Brennan went to Obama and said it was a Clinton campaign op. Obama did nothing.
The same Brennan who denied under oath knowing who commissioned the report? Source?

In our system…prosecutors are supposed to be forced to prove the guilt of the accused beyond a reasonable doubt. This was a win for our system. It shouldn’t be seen as a knock on Durham.

By the way….we need fewer federal prosecutors on the federal bench and more with backgrounds in criminal defense. It starts with the nomination process but the Senate does not have to confirm
Yes, "a win for our system" sounds great. It's a lovely platitude. Now let's talk about the real world. Every prosecutor prides himself or herself on their conviction rate. That's particularly true in federal court. Considerable time, effort and resources go into every case that's tried, and anything less than a conviction (with the exception of a hung jury which still provides hope for a conviction down the road) is deemed an abject failure by the entire prosecution team. If a criminal case results in an acquittal, it's devastating for the prosecution - - every time. It means either they had a weak case that should never have been tried or somebody on the prosecution team seriously messed up. I have absolutely no doubt that Durham was devastated by the two acquittals and certainly viewed the losses as a reflection on him.

Of course it is. The dossier (which was already in the hands of the FBI when Brennan went to see Obama) is what the Russian intelligence was referencing.

Stop playing dumb. Or maybe you ain’t playing?
Dude. You're completely lost. You look dumber with every post.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT