ADVERTISEMENT

Dow down 830 points

FaroffUnacceptableBorzoi-max-1mb.gif

My meager little portfolio hasn't gained anything all year. Actually lost a bit. I'm not one to panic and won't be needing to tap into it for a couple more years (if even then), but it's tough for an old little guy to see. I don't have time to recover from another 2008-09.

Reactions: td75
The scary thing about owning the stock market is that even if you don't panic sell, it hurts your portfolio when others do!!! It's out of your control at that point and that is scary.

This latest sell off ticks me off...of course if you've got big nuts, you'll simply sack up and buy right now!

Reactions: meridian
My meager little portfolio hasn't gained anything all year. Actually lost a bit. I'm not one to panic and won't be needing to tap into it for a couple more years (if even then), but it's tough for an old little guy to see. I don't have time to recover from another 2008-09.

Why aren't you in index funds? If you were, you'd still be up over 4%, even after the correction.

Why aren't you in index funds? If you were, you'd still be up over 4%, even after the correction.
I'm in what my guy set up -- same guy handles the company 401K and my personal stash. Spread over five funds, moderate risk. Like many people my age, I got a late start, so went for growth. I made out like a bandit starting in 2010 through 2017 (2015 was a bit of a laggard), but since around Feb/Mar this year I haven't gained shit.

I suppose I could be taking advice from this guy:

“The Fed has gone crazy,” he told reporters on Wednesday as he arrived in Pennsylvania for a campaign rally. “So you can say that well that’s a lot of safety actually, and it is a lot of safety, and it gives you a lot of margins, but I think the Fed has gone crazy.”​

Reactions: largemouth
It almost makes you cry when you look at your 401k and see almost 20 grand wiped out in a single day. Thankfully my wife and I don't have to retire for another 30 years. The positive is there could be some buying opportunities.

It almost makes you cry when you look at your 401k and see almost 20 grand wiped out in a single day. Thankfully my wife and I don't have to retire for another 30 years. The positive is there could be some buying opportunities.
I like buying opportunities! Vvbg And 30 years think of it as lowering the cost basis in your 401k you might sleep better....

Since the Great Depression, the markets have averaged 3.5 3% or more declines per year. I'm not saying you should buy the dip, but there isn't a reason to panic.

I suppose I could be taking advice from this guy:

“The Fed has gone crazy,” he told reporters on Wednesday as he arrived in Pennsylvania for a campaign rally. “So you can say that well that’s a lot of safety actually, and it is a lot of safety, and it gives you a lot of margins, but I think the Fed has gone crazy.”​

Better get your DB loans!

Do you still feel positive for equities for this quarter? Or are we likely heading into a decline?

If I knew, I'd be managing billions. All I know is there is $1.1 trillion of private equity money that needs to be put to work, $1.3 trillion in corporate (non-financial) cash, and a ton of other money sitting on the sideline. So whatever happens, it's not going to look like the prior decade.

This latest sell off ticks me off...of course if you've got big nuts, you'll simply sack up and buy right now!

Yields moved up quite sharply in recent days

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-c...interest-rates/Pages/TextView.aspx?data=yield

Date 1 Mo 3 Mo 6 Mo 1 Yr 2 Yr 3 Yr 5 Yr 7 Yr 10 Yr 20 Yr 30 Yr
10/01/18 2.13 2.23 2.40 2.60 2.82 2.90 2.96 3.04 3.09 3.18 3.24
10/02/18 2.14 2.23 2.41 2.61 2.82 2.88 2.94 3.01 3.05 3.14 3.20
10/03/18 2.15 2.23 2.41 2.62 2.85 2.94 3.02 3.10 3.15 3.24 3.30
10/04/18 2.16 2.22 2.42 2.63 2.87 2.97 3.05 3.14 3.19 3.29 3.35
10/05/18 2.15 2.23 2.41 2.64 2.88 2.99 3.07 3.18 3.23 3.34 3.40
10/09/18 2.17 2.25 2.46 2.65 2.88 2.98 3.05 3.15 3.21 3.30 3.37
10/10/18 2.18 2.27 2.45 2.67 2.88 2.97 3.05 3.15 3.22 3.33 3.39

I'm now officially in the red for 2018. I was still slightly up after yesterday, but won't be after today. Having 25% ex-US exposure has hurt this year.....International index down 10% for the year. Value indexes also weak. Up until last week US large caps (SP500) were kind of an outlier, being up as much as they were.

I'm now officially in the red for 2018. I was still slightly up after yesterday, but won't be after today. Having 25% ex-US exposure has hurt this year.....International index down 10% for the year. Value indexes also weak. Up until last week US large caps (SP500) were kind of an outlier, being up as much as they were.

S&P 500 still up 2.02% no? https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/sandp/

2nzyglA.png

Also, valuations were out of control, so this isn't bad unless it spills over. Not that you didn' already know that.

S&P 500 still up 2.02% no? https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/sandp/

2nzyglA.png

Also, valuations were out of control, so this isn't bad unless it spills over. Not that you didn' already know that.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that index was an outlier. Small/mid caps, value indexes, etc....were all lagging the large caps through the summer.....and I'm sure bond funds were weak too...so most folks portfolios would be into the red now. Not too many just plow 100% into SPY

Yeah, what I'm saying is that index was an outlier. Small/mid caps, value indexes, etc....were all lagging the large caps through the summer.....and I'm sure bond funds were weak too...so most folks portfolios would be into the red now. Not too many just plow 100% into SPY

Russell still positive too! YUGE returns

Im8im3L.png

I am waiting for our president bragging about how the stock market is doing so great, compared to Obama's.

I am waiting for our president bragging about how the stock market is doing so great, compared to Obama's.

Keep ragging on the market. Last time you did this in a thread was in February and we rallied nicely afterwards.

That is exactly what I am doing. I want to recover 500K I lost within last week!
Trump has to work hard and smart if he wants his bragging rights back. ;):(
Perhaps Trump planned this to get back at us for all the mean things we have said about him.

Reactions: meridian
If by this you mean regular Joes doing what's recommended with their 401K and any individual investments, then yeah, that's me. If presumably sophisticated investors like yourself are in the same boat, then I don't feel so bad. I just wish it would fscking correct already, then get back to moving back up again. In the meantime, I'll just keep dropping my meager amount into the 401K pot every Friday and hope to be able to avoid abject poverty when the time comes.

If by this you mean regular Joes doing what's recommended with their 401K and any individual investments, then yeah, that's me. If presumably sophisticated investors like yourself are in the same boat, then I don't feel so bad. I just wish it would fscking correct already, then get back to moving back up again. In the meantime, I'll just keep dropping my meager amount into the 401K pot every Friday and hope to be able to avoid abject poverty when the time comes.

Are you this stressed out every correction? I don't remember if you were panicking in late 2015- early 2016 like you are now.

That is exactly what I am doing. I want to recover 500K I lost within last week!
Trump has to work hard and smart if he wants his bragging rights back. ;):(
If you lost 500k in the last week that means you are worth many many millions. You'll survive this. :p

Diversification is the only free lunch in investing.....KSOB finance professors drilled that home like nothing else.

As I mentioned, I have 25% in ex-US index funds (all markets besides US)....and that's down 10% for the year. Good news it was up nearly 33% last year, greatly outpacing US indexes. So it all evens out in the long run. Don't change anything.

Are you this stressed out every correction? I don't remember if you were panicking in late 2015- early 2016 like you are now.
I took a bath in late 2015/early 2016 -- my mom died in July '15 and we cashed in her stuff in September. I handed it all over to my money guy, and immediately lost a nice chunk of it. But I didn't stress over it much, I just took my short term lumps and counted on the long term gain, which did come, of course. I'm not all that stressed today, except that I'm looking at needing to tap into my money sooner now than I was then, and Trump wasn't President then either. That latter makes me a little leery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT