ADVERTISEMENT

NASDAQ in 2023: +40%, S&P500: +22%, Dow: +11.5% Wow! updated Dec 13

It’s funny you say that bc there are things that are still super cheap. We just got back from Trader Joe’s. My six pack of beer from there is $4.95. This big bag of fettuccine we like. Again $4.95. Then we got groceries across the street and my daughter got six tiny macaroons $12!
Aldi's is the cool place now. Super-cheap stuff there.

$13.67 here for a cheeseburger, $7.31 for fries. Although I looked it up on DoorDash. I've never used it--do they mark up all the prices?

They must. Cost for cheeseburger in Chicago is $11.59
Yes, it's crazy expensive on Door Dash or other delivery.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I was concerned about his impact on the growth of the economy / stock market, but its crystal clear Joe Biden is doing a great job now. The investor class will agree Im sure.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
This tenderloin is $9.99 at the Edinburgh Diner. 3 meals, easy

edinburgh-diner.jpeg

$13.67 here for a cheeseburger, $7.31 for fries. Although I looked it up on DoorDash. I've never used it--do they mark up all the prices?

It’s pretty common to mark it up. Not all places do though

The reviews are really good...

this is truly awful, as bad as any of them really. a bitter, cheap, and metallic beer with more malt color than most hazy types have, a thin texture, and a general grossness about the ferment that really turns me off. it tastes like the can when its cold, and thats at its best. after that it gets hoppy but without any personality from the hops, like i could never guess a varietal its so generic, but its bitter and kind of oily, green and sharp, and it stays on my palate way too long. none of the dry hop fruitiness is here, none of the other volatiles, its lightly piney, even gin-like for a flash, but its really rough. apparently its made with citra and mosaic and ella, which seems neat, tip of the cap for putting the ella in here, but i wish i could smell and taste it through the overly intense alpha acid and the plastic tasting ale yeast thats all through it. malty and heavy without being sweet, not really that hazy, and an apple cider kind of note at the end. it still tastes like beer, as in its not undrinkably bad, and it still has grain and yeast and hops to appreciate, even if poorly assembled. beer to me is like pizza, it takes similar effort to make a good one and a bad one, so why do bad ones exist at all? glad i have family and friends to drink through the rest of the six pack, not sure ill reach for another can of this. you cant beat the price, but the beer is barely worth it...

This doesn’t strike me as a hazy IPA or even a modern IPA. It reminds me of a home brewed IPA from the early 2010s or late 2000s when the style was rapidly evolving.

Where as most modern IPAs will have a pretty subtle malt profile this one goes heavy with the caramel / roasted malts that were super popular in almost all homebrew recipes back then. Does it highlight the hops? Does it add anything to the beer? Not really! It actually gets in the way and adds layers of sweetness and dark fruit.

The hops are also very subdued compared to modern standards that can jump out of the glass. Hops in this beer are present and certainly not well balanced, verging a bit into pithy citrus. Definitely some bitterness in here as well but not out of line and some nice notes of ripe grapefruit come out.

Compared to any other modern hazy IPA this will certainly rank as the worst, it’s a very poor example of the style but you know what, it’s not that bad and it’s kind of fun to revisit a beer that seems like the recipe was pulled off an old Internet homebrew forum. It’s a very rough beer but I think if you approach this with an open mind you can find some enjoyment from this beer. At a little over $1/can I would consider buying it again but certainly not a beer I would enjoy drinking every day.
The author...

34hxty.jpg

Yes. All of those places mark up the food on top of their ridiculous fees.

Reactions: DANC

this is truly awful, as bad as any of them really. a bitter, cheap, and metallic beer with more malt color than most hazy types have, a thin texture, and a general grossness about the ferment that really turns me off. it tastes like the can when its cold, and thats at its best. after that it gets hoppy but without any personality from the hops, like i could never guess a varietal its so generic, but its bitter and kind of oily, green and sharp, and it stays on my palate way too long. none of the dry hop fruitiness is here, none of the other volatiles, its lightly piney, even gin-like for a flash, but its really rough. apparently its made with citra and mosaic and ella, which seems neat, tip of the cap for putting the ella in here, but i wish i could smell and taste it through the overly intense alpha acid and the plastic tasting ale yeast thats all through it. malty and heavy without being sweet, not really that hazy, and an apple cider kind of note at the end. it still tastes like beer, as in its not undrinkably bad, and it still has grain and yeast and hops to appreciate, even if poorly assembled. beer to me is like pizza, it takes similar effort to make a good one and a bad one, so why do bad ones exist at all? glad i have family and friends to drink through the rest of the six pack, not sure ill reach for another can of this. you cant beat the price, but the beer is barely worth it...

This doesn’t strike me as a hazy IPA or even a modern IPA. It reminds me of a home brewed IPA from the early 2010s or late 2000s when the style was rapidly evolving.

Where as most modern IPAs will have a pretty subtle malt profile this one goes heavy with the caramel / roasted malts that were super popular in almost all homebrew recipes back then. Does it highlight the hops? Does it add anything to the beer? Not really! It actually gets in the way and adds layers of sweetness and dark fruit.

The hops are also very subdued compared to modern standards that can jump out of the glass. Hops in this beer are present and certainly not well balanced, verging a bit into pithy citrus. Definitely some bitterness in here as well but not out of line and some nice notes of ripe grapefruit come out.

Compared to any other modern hazy IPA this will certainly rank as the worst, it’s a very poor example of the style but you know what, it’s not that bad and it’s kind of fun to revisit a beer that seems like the recipe was pulled off an old Internet homebrew forum. It’s a very rough beer but I think if you approach this with an open mind you can find some enjoyment from this beer. At a little over $1/can I would consider buying it again but certainly not a beer I would enjoy drinking every day.

You surprised a guy eating Campbell's soup for dinner doesn't have a refined palette?

Hops are the most expensive ingredient in beer. If you find a cheap IPA you know it's going to taste like nothing but sweet malty ass.

Portillos burger is also quite good.

A&W still has some solid ones, much like DQ
I need to try the Portillo burger. You’re the third or fourth person that has told me it’s good. My standard order is the Chicago dog and beef sandwich and I can’t quit them.

Hey. Bitch. My Trader Joe’s bargain beer has the same score as Sam adams on beer advocate. Cocksucker you

Thanks Joe! But the gov shutdown looms, so the Gaetz crowd is about to spoil the fun.

Full disclosure: Dow is only up 3% for 2023 YTD. edit: not any more!

So I hope y'all have been tech-invested.
Yeah so true about tech. I wonder how much the S&P would be up if you eliminated Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and Meta.

I need to try the Portillo burger. You’re the third or fourth person that has told me it’s good. My standard order is the Chicago dog and beef sandwich and I can’t quit them.
Anyone ever had a Meatheads burger? They also have great fries and various side sauces.

I seldom buy burgers out since they are so easy to make at home.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I second the love for Culver's. Only fast food I have had in a while. Last week I got a tenderloin, cheese curds, & extra cheese sauce and it was about 12 bucks. Just water to drink. Carbonation is no longer kind to me (reflux)

Reactions: mrhighlife
Hey. Bitch. My Trader Joe’s bargain beer has the same score as Sam adams on beer advocate. Cocksucker you

Congrats on benchmarking yourself to one of the worst beers ever made. Sam Adams and Boston Beer deserve to fall into Boston Harbor.

I'd rather drink tea than that shit.

Also, tell TJ's to get more consistency with their fruit.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
Congrats on benchmarking yourself to one of the worst beers ever made. Sam Adams and Boston Beer deserve to fall into Boston Harbor.

I'd rather drink tea than that shit.

Also, tell TJ's to get more consistency with their fruit.
their fruit sucks. concur. as for the beer i guess i've been humbled

That is the condundrum. I usually get the Combo (italian sausage + beef in the same roll), but the Double Cheeseburger is really good. Pro tip - get it with giardianera!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT