ADVERTISEMENT

Do IU fans feel bad for the Purdue football program?

No sympathy. We have spent plenty of time in the basement. Theirs is self inflicted.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd love for the Bucket game to have national significance at least once...feature two ranked teams...something.
I think 1967 was the last time both teams were ranked going into the Bucket Game.Is that ridiculous or what?I think around 1976 the Big Ten allowed conference teams to play in Bowl Games other than the Rose Bowl and only in 1979 and 2007 did both Purdue and IU qualify for a Bowl.Thats sad.

Purdue has a decided advantage in the series so we have a ways to go to pass them. With that said. they are our rival. We've done better as of late but its not like anyone else is going to claim us yet! lol

Right now we have a 3 game lead and seem to be ahead of them by a decent margin. I pay attention because I want to see them stay down there and I want to continue to see IU beat them. I was at PU often and the bad mouthing of our program was a fairly comical topic for them. Rightfully so but the payback is rather enjoyable. I refuse to take for granted each TD we run up on them because of the way they treated us when we were down. I would be ok with putting a 100 spot on the board.

I would like to see Purdue make a huge improvement in its program. I want it to be a meaningful game played in a packed stadium. In the 35 years I have been following the Oaken Bucket game, its only significance is that the winner could take solace in what otherwise was a mediocre to poor season.

The stigma of the Oaken Bucket game currently is to see if the losing team's coach is fired after the game.

The best college rivalry games I have been to are UCLA-USC and Pitt-Penn State.

I would like to see Purdue make a huge improvement in its program. I want it to be a meaningful game played in a packed stadium. In the 35 years I have been following the Oaken Bucket game, its only significance is that the winner could take solace in what otherwise was a mediocre to poor season.

The stigma of the Oaken Bucket game currently is to see if the losing team's coach is fired after the game.

I get the idea of wanting it to be a little bit more meaningful. I would just prefer we elevate ourselves into the upper half of the big before they begin having any slight improvements is all. I still don't want our games against them being competitive though.

Reactions: ESalum86
What's the difference between a dead squirrel near the side of S.R. 37 and a guy wearing a pu jersey? ? ?

There are tire tracks indicating some attempt had been made to brake in front of the squirrels body...;)

Reactions: DANC

Agree here. It'd be nice if the bucket game was relevant.

I want Purdue to be a strong program year in and year out, AND I want us to beat them every year. Those shouldn't be mutually exclusive. A pathetic PU program is bad for the B!G, bad for Indiana (state of) football, and bad for the rivalry game.

I just got home and turned on the TV. That's one ugly halftime score. Maybe I've become a softie in my old age, but I don't wish that on anybody.

Our new AD just made a big-time move. Shows he's serious about changing the program IMO.
Mid season firings make little sense, but it will prove to a few that he's serious. But it won't make any difference as far as hiring the next guy. Purdue really screwed up with Burke. His lack of experience really hurt your athletic department.

Mid season firings make little sense, but it will prove to a few that he's serious. But it won't make any difference as far as hiring the next guy. Purdue really screwed up with Burke. His lack of experience really hurt your athletic department.

Can only go up from here right?

They only make sense when the coach has lost the locker room and usually that is not a result of the record.

Can only go up from here right?
Probably, but that was the same sentiment after Tiller and Hope. And Young and Burtnett and Akers and Colleto. And before you ask, IU's always had the same attitude. But it's never as easy or simple as it seems.

Probably, but that was the same sentiment after Tiller and Hope. And Young and Burtnett and Akers and Colleto. And before you ask, IU's always had the same attitude. But it's never as easy or simple as it seems.

Well Haze is the worst coach we've ever had so it's hard to be worse haha.

If our new AD makes the right hire (Les Miles is getting a lot of talk right now and I'm sure Fleck will get a call) Purdue will be back in the upper tier of the B10.
The fan base, which has shown a commitment to the program in the past, is simply waiting on the right hire to generate the excitement.
Iu football has never really been exciting or relevant and most iu fans would rather follow ND football anyways.

If our new AD makes the right hire (Les Miles is getting a lot of talk right now and I'm sure Fleck will get a call) Purdue will be back in the upper tier of the B10.
The fan base, which has shown a commitment to the program in the past, is simply waiting on the right hire to generate the excitement.
Iu football has never really been exciting or relevant and most iu fans would rather follow ND football anyways.
It will be very difficult to attract the right guy to Purdue, for all sorts of obvious reasons.

It will be very difficult to attract the right guy to Purdue, for all sorts of obvious reasons.
Don't feel sorry for Purdue. They just made the first move to improve their program. Enjoy your success against the Boilers. We're hoping today is the first step
In fixing that problem. It will take a while. It's a whole lot easier to improve a basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT