ADVERTISEMENT

Do IU fans feel bad for the Purdue football program?

That is your opinion and nothing more. You have no basis whatsoever with that statement.
I think that's simply your opinion and nothing more. Purdue has more going for it historically than IU does and can get back to their winning ways with the right coach.

It is my opinion but it is also based in part on attending 2 games a year at PU for four straight years when my kid (2015 grad) was there. Those eight or nine games constitute a larger number than the vast majority of in-state PU grads that call themselves FB fans. Yes, I believe they will get better and yes, PU has enjoyed an advantage in FB over the years.

The funny thing in all of this is that over the last decade Fred Glass has beaten PU so very very badly at their own game and has a material advantage in every aspect of the sport that will only widen over the next two years.

After that...we shall see if PU can catch up.

There's little to attract that right guy, though. You've been through this a couple times in the last 7 or 8 years and couldn't attract anyone. The one really good guy who had some interest got a low ball offer and walked briskly away, sighing in relief that he didn't land in Lafayette.

Good luck trying to do any better on something you've previously done poorly.

It's not the inability to attract someone, it was a dumbass athletic director and administration that wasn't committed to success in athletics and was more concerned with the spreadsheets, not the W/L column. They were trying to get lucky by going cheap and it burned them badly. Combine that with a disaster hire like Hazell and you have the dumpster fire you're seeing. But, with Burke now gone, and Mitch Daniels committed to success in FB and BB, you'll see a major recommitment of financial resources to the programs. The new AD and admin know that they can't screw up this next hire, and they also know that to get a name coach, they're going to have to pay for it. I expect the next guy to get in the $3 mil/year range.
It won't be someone who stands up at his introductory presser and the fan base says "Who?". It'll be someone who can get PU turned around and that's the iu fans greatest fear.

Whoever is the next hire they will be looking at 3+ plus years to turn things around. How many new coaches want a job where the first 3 years will be something like 6-30. They just fired their coach for this. My guess is that they hire someone nearing retirement who is looking for a last big paycheck - like when IU hired DiNardo - and that worked out pretty well, didn't it?

It's not the inability to attract someone, it was a dumbass athletic director and administration that wasn't committed to success in athletics and was more concerned with the spreadsheets, not the W/L column. They were trying to get lucky by going cheap and it burned them badly. Combine that with a disaster hire like Hazell and you have the dumpster fire you're seeing. But, with Burke now gone, and Mitch Daniels committed to success in FB and BB, you'll see a major recommitment of financial resources to the programs. The new AD and admin know that they can't screw up this next hire, and they also know that to get a name coach, they're going to have to pay for it. I expect the next guy to get in the $3 mil/year range.
It won't be someone who stands up at his introductory presser and the fan base says "Who?". It'll be someone who can get PU turned around and that's the iu fans greatest fear.
Hazell was well known when Purdue hired him, so anyone who stood up and said "who" didn't know the first thing about college football. And what makes you think Daniels nd the administration there are suddenly going to do a 180 regarding athletics? A new building, even as they explicitly stated that Purdue will never enter the facilities arms race (a noble if completely unrealistic objective).

I hope you make a good hire, but you shouldn't be at all surprised if you don't.

No, it's not our greatest fear. The obsession is a one-way street. I don't know why this simple truth has to be constantly repeated to you folks, but it does.

Reactions: 10yrProject
Shouldn't pu be more than a little concerned about the optics of firing a young minority head coach while he was still sitting at 3-3 with a mathematical chance of still reaching a bowl game?

Did CWB come into play here?

It looks like you jokers had it in for him from the start. No support from the AD, and little or none from the fans...

You had to get rid of him before he had a legit chance of turning the corner (thus forcing you to retain him).

You boilermakers should be ashamed of yourselves!

Shouldn't pu be more than a little concerned about the optics of firing a young minority head coach while he was still sitting at 3-3 with a mathematical chance of still reaching a bowl game?

It looks like you jokers had it in for him from the start. No support from the AD, and little or none from the fans...

You had to get rid of him before he had a legit chance of turning the corner (thus forcing you to retain him).

52 is young? He never won back-to-back games in his entire tenure here and only won 3 conference games. Your post is false in so many ways.

Nothing against being 52! Just don't think you can call a 52 year old coach "young" is all. To me, a young coach is around 40 or younger.

You got me there. I thought the guy was in his mid-forties and just having had to deal with pu fans had given him a little gray...

You got me there. I thought the guy was in his mid-forties and just having had to deal with pu fans had given him a little gray...

No problem. He definitely looks younger than he is. He was an assistant for a long time before he got his first head gig.

Nothing against being 52! Just don't think you can call a 52 year old coach "young" is all. To me, a young coach is around 40 or younger.

The older you be become, the younger you feel. But you still haven't addressed the fact that IU isn't intimidated by what PU hopes to be. C'mon, boy, answer the question. PFB!

I'm pretty sure you're joking but hard to tell on the interweb sometimes.
But.....skin color has nothing to do with anything. Only racists see race.
As far as being given a chance, there was zero evidence of progress in his 3+ years. His low ranked recruiting classes and ineptitude of his teams on the field sealed his fate.

The bottom line in these matters is attendance. Purdue attendance dropped from about 37,000 to about 32,000 this year.

I would call Fred Akers a "name hire". Not too many people stood up and said "Who?". He had similar successes (and perceived failures) at Texas as Les Miles has had at LSU. Just like now with the chatter (however misguided) about Les chomping at the bit to become the next guy at PU, Boiler fans were slobbering all over themselves about Akers leading PUke to national prominence. How'd that work out for you?

And Purdue was a much more attractive job then than it is now.

Reactions: DANC
You really think Les Miles would come to PU because he will be getting better offers than Purdue. Also I have never cared about ND football and have been a fan of all IU sports for over 40 years.
I remember being excited about the new Gerry DiNardo hire because he came with an LSU pedigree. He lasted only three seasons and his most lasting legacy to IU is his wife's Italian restaurant, DeAngelo's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT