ADVERTISEMENT

Data, Data, and more data

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
When looking at my step count the other day, the question occurred to me why am I looking at that?

Do we live in. Data simulation instead of reality?

For example:

I not only know my step count today, I can find my step count for years back. I know my total distance, I know my stride length and I know my double support time, whatever the f—- that is.

I can find my season and daily ski data for the last several years. That includes vertical distance, horizontal distance, top speed and places skied.

My car tells me it’s complete service history, and car fax tells me it’s ownership history and other information. It tells me speed, average speed, mpg, and hours used on a long term and short term basis, it remembers my seat and steering wheel position and tells me the speed limit and will drive at that limit if I let it. It even remebers my favorite radio stations.

I can see my bicycle routs, average speed top speed, and distance for the past several years.

Amazon knows what I purchased and when as well as what I even thought about purchasing. Amazon knows what books I’ve read and what I will read. It knows where I am in a book.

Google knows what I’ve researched, where I’ve been, where I’ve lived, my telephone numbers and more.

I can find all my credit card uses for years, bank transactions and more.

I can see my house temperature and furnace operation from anywhere, I could even know what my refrigerator is doing if I let it.

My TV knows what I’ve watched and knows where within a particular program I stopped watching.

My tablet knows and tells me how much time we spend together. My phone tells me if I am a couch potato.

And there is much more readily accessible data about everything.

I keep wondering about the infrastructure needed to keep all the data. I know that “Data storage centers” are getting to be a real growth industry.

Don't know where I’m going with this except to note that I consult with and produce mounds of data every day before my second cup of coffee. Is that good? I dunno. We seem to have done pretty good in the days before we had all the data.

But yeah, some of it has become like an appendage to my mind, I guess that is a sixth sense. Don’t see dead people yet, but that is probably coming.

What is the data you use every day or can’t do without? For me it’s probably step count. My Medicare advantage plan monetizes that.

When looking at my step count the other day, the question occurred to me why am I looking at that?

For example:

I not only know my step count today, I can find my step count for years back. I know my total distance, I know my stride length and I know my double support time, whatever the f—- that is.

I can find my season and daily ski data for the last several years. That includes vertical distance, horizontal distance, top speed and places skied.

My car tells me it’s complete service history, and car fax tells me it’s ownership history and other information. It tells me speed, average speed, mpg, and hours used on a long term and short term basis, it remembers my sear and steering wheel position and tells me the speed limit and will drive at that limit if I let it. It even remebers my favorite radio stations.

I can see my bicycle routs, average speed top speed, and distance for the past several years.

Amazon knows what I purchased and when as well as what I even thought about purchasing. Amazon knows what books I’ve read and what I will read. It knows where I am in a book.

Google knows what I’ve researched, where I’ve been, where I’ve lived, my telephone numbers and more.

I can see my house temperature and furnace operation from anywhere, I could even know what my refrigerator is doing if I let it.

My TV knows what I’ve watched and knows where in the within a particular program I stopped watching.

My tablet knows and tells me how much time we spend together. My phone tells me if I am a couch potato.

I keep wondering about the infrastructure needed to keep all the data. I know that “Data storage centers” iare getting to be a real growth industry.

Don't know where I’m going with this except to note that I consult with and produce mounds of data every day before my second cup of coffee. Is that good? I dunno. We seem to have done pretty good in the days before we had all the data.

But yeah, some of it has become like an appendage to my mind, I guess that is a sixth sense. Don’t see dead people yet, but that is probably coming.

What is the data you use every day or can’t do without? For me it’s probably step count. My Medicare advantage plan monetizes that.
Reaction Score

Fitbit has "active minutes" or something like that. I think it means heartrate above 100 or similar. I shoot for 600 mins a week so i get updates on that. Step count I guess but I don't really pay much attention to that.

At work there is a bunch but i'll leave that out

Other than the active minutes, probably only how much I spend everyday. I don't check balances or anything like that very often. But I do track spending. mostly to throw in my wife or child's face later on, b/c I'm an asshole.

And, as mcm notes, reaction score. Social currency yo

Fitbit has "active minutes" or something like that. I think it means heartrate above 100 or similar. I shoot for 600 mins a week so i get updates on that. Step count I guess but I don't really pay much attention to that.

At work there is a bunch but i'll leave that out

Other than the active minutes, probably only how much I spend everyday. I don't check balances or anything like that very often. But I do track spending. mostly to throw in my wife or child's face later on, b/c I'm an asshole.

And, as mcm notes, reaction score. Social currency yo
Ha!! That’s impressive!!! Keep it up. All kidding aside I don’t track any data. At all. Probably why all of our business ventures are varying degrees of limited success. Last year I vowed to do 10k steps a day in my efforts to come back UNRECOGNIZABLE!! I came close to actually 20k a day. I even remember Cortez calling bullshit so I texted him a screenshot. I was very pleased and fit. But my ex stoker still recognized me so it wasn’t really worth it. I stopped checking but this past six months I’m probably averaging between 100 and 200 steps per day

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs and larsIU
Ha!! That’s impressive!!! Keep it up. All kidding aside I don’t track any data. At all. Probably why all of our business ventures are varying degrees of limited success. Last year I vowed to do 10k steps a day in my efforts to come back UNRECOGNIZABLE!! I came close to actually 20k a day. I even remember Cortez calling bullshit so I texted him a screenshot. I was very pleased and fit. But my ex stoker still recognized me so it wasn’t really worth it. I stopped checking but this past six months I’m probably averaging between 100 and 200 steps per day
Did just doing 10K steps a day make a difference? I'm skeptical.

Yes. An incredible difference. Slimmer. Slept better. And I didn’t even give up alcohol
Gene Wilder Reaction GIF

For example:

My car tells me it’s complete service history, and car fax tells me it’s ownership history and other information. It tells me speed, average speed, mpg, and hours used on a long term and short term basis, it remembers my seat and steering wheel position and tells me the speed limit and will drive at that limit if I let it. It even remebers my favorite radio stations.

My TV knows what I’ve watched and knows where within a particular program I stopped watching.

I keep wondering about the infrastructure needed to keep all the data. I know that “Data storage centers” are getting to be a real growth industry.

All that kind of data is useful and interesting. It's receipts, figuratively and literally. The more I've been able to review or even access it for output, the more interested I am in it. It bleeds into basketball in a big way, as people in the game create ways to analyze it, it brings me to figuring out ways to analyze that suits my needs with my team, as well as teams I'm interested in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT