ADVERTISEMENT

Dane Fife not returning

The way this is COMMONLY done in smoothly functioning organizations is the “fired” is given some reasonable time to find a new job.

This smacks of revenge.
He was given the opportunity to resign and refused.

I'm just curious how you know this? You seem to have all of this information about everything somehow yet in reality?
It's all over the internet not hard to find. Saw it several times today. That being said good for him if he felt he should not have to resign. He is enemy number one now but I like people who dont cave to pressure.

He was given the opportunity to resign and refused.
The world weeps when IU goes into protection mode.

The way Fife is being treated is the reason why IU basketball is in its current state. As an organization, IU can’t leave well enough alone. There is something in your organization’s DNA that compels you to trash anyone who parts with your program. It’s like the organization itself has narcissistic personality disorder.

Last edited:
The worlds weeps when IU goes into protection mode.

The way Fife is being treated is the reason why IU basketball is in its current state. As an organization, IU can’t leave well enough alone. There is something in your organization’s DNA that compels you to trash anyone that parts with your program. It’s like the organization itself has narcissistic personality disorder.
See my newest, number 12 on the *other* Fife thread we’ve got going! It’s hot!!!

IU gave him the choice to resign. Then they fired him SEVEN DAYS after the season ended.

Fife is an alum; he was a loyal starter on a Final Four team; he has no allegations of misdeeds against him. LET THE SMEAR CAMPAIGN BEGIN!
What are you thinking should have happened? It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the "organization". It's been suspected on here for some time that he and CMW weren't seeing eye to eye. Doesn't any HC have the perogative and really obligation to have the staff they want and feel gives them the best chance of winning? It's also been noted on here how few of our commits (any?) were recruited by DF. Made all the sense in the world from the outside, but sounds like they butted heads. No smear, just life.

IU gave him the choice to resign. Then they fired him SEVEN DAYS after the season ended.

Fife is an alum; he was a loyal starter on a Final Four team; he has no allegations of misdeeds against him. LET THE SMEAR CAMPAIGN BEGIN!
I could definitely see these getting very ugly in the years ahead. If Woody wins big great but if not look out. It will be very hard to fire him if that day comes with Buckner leading the BOT.

This is the first time I've started to have my doubts on Woody, this is not a good look at all.

Dane was very popular at Michigan State and they won, a lot. Firing him after one season is a joke, simply shouldn't have happened.

What it looks like to me is that he gave input on some things and Woody didn't like his input. That said, I'm sure more will come out at some point.

This is the first time I've started to have my doubts on Woody, this is not a good look at all.

Dane was very popular at Michigan State and they won, a lot. Firing him after one season is a joke, simply shouldn't have happened.

What it looks like to me is that he gave input on some things and Woody didn't like his input. That said, I'm sure more will come out at some point.
Everybody at MSU was sick of his shit.

• Haha
Reactions: EarlTubbs
I could definitely see these getting very ugly in the years ahead. If Woody wins big great but if not look out. It will be very hard to fire him if that day comes with Buckner leading the BOT.

It was an extremely dumb decision for Woodson to hire him and then fire him. It smacks of ineptitude and I'm not sure why he would want to burn bridges. His first season was underwhelming and next year is more of the same, if TJD doesn't come back. I disagree it will be difficult for IU to fire him. At this point, I'd be surprised if he coaches 4 seasons.

Reactions: Chris A.
It is not the end of the world if IU does not sign Little. IU is solid at guard with JHS, Cupps and Newton, along with Gunn, Bates, Galloway and Leal. Little would be a solid addition, though.
Yeah, what Little we know, so we'll just have to take your word for it.

The worlds weeps when IU goes into protection mode.

The way Fife is being treated is the reason why IU basketball is in its current state. As an organization, IU can’t leave well enough alone. There is something in your organization’s DNA that compels you to trash anyone who parts with your program. It’s like the organization itself has narcissistic personality disorder.
haha Danny Hope says hello. Give it a rest, gas bag.

Everything is out right now. Woody didn’t like what fife was bringing to the table recruiting and basketball wise. That is it.
Well it's certainly not going to win Woody any points among the fanbase, especially from his doubters. Fife was just fine at Michigan State over the past decade when they were winning the conference and going to final 4s.

If Woody is going to fire a popular alum a year after the decade of success he had at Michigan State, then he better win going forward and quickly.

What are you thinking should have happened? It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the "organization". It's been suspected on here for some time that he and CMW weren't seeing eye to eye. Doesn't any HC have the perogative and really obligation to have the staff they want and feel gives them the best chance of winning? It's also been noted on here how few of our commits (any?) were recruited by DF. Made all the sense in the world from the outside, but sounds like they butted heads. No smear, just life.
You treat him with dignity and respect. You give him longer than seven days to find a new gig.

I was always skeptical with the perceived plan of Fife being a coach in waiting, just as I was of Woody's hiring, because both had limited success as a Head Coach. Being an Assistant under Izzo doesn't suggest success at IU (see CTC).

That said, last spring, Woody repeatedly discussed the importance of having a collaborative environment with basketball minds like Fife and Thad and how he was always open to others' ideas. I am disappointed with Dane's release/firing because it suggests that the turmoil between our Assistant Coaches and Woodson had a lot of validity.

I really wish we had a coach who is reflective and willing to accept his shortcomings and rely upon the strengths of others (see John Beilein). Based on this release/firing, I can't help but wonder if Woody wants a staff full of "Yes-Men." Woody's press release is a bad look.

FOj1QXgXoAINk9S
Thanks you for providing Woodson's press release. I'm sure Dane will rest more soundly now, knowing he'll "always be a part of the IU family" as it certainly softens the blow of "You're fired!" and as we all know, we certainly like our blows soft. It makes trying to swallow hard decisions come so much easier.

Well it's certainly not going to win Woody any points among the fanbase, especially from his doubters. Fife was just fine at Michigan State over the past decade when they were winning the conference and going to final 4s.

If Woody is going to fire a popular alum a year after the decade of success he had at Michigan State, then he better win going forward and quickly.

One thing about Woody. He dont give a F what you think. He is gonna do it his way, and he knows if he wins it doesn't matter who is on staff. If he loses it doesn't matter who is on staff. He is gonna be praised or go down in flames. If Woody thinks Fife isn't helping him, him being a former player doesn't matter one bit, he gone.

You treat him with dignity and respect. You give him longer than seven days to find a new gig.
You make this claim based on what? You have absolutely no idea what took place and whether or not he had the option of 7 days since the St. Mary's game......which coincidentally would've been yesterday. Woody has to find a coach so you would complain if he had one lined up when Fife got fired. You're just a PU fan spouting nonsense as you tend to do.

One thing about Woody. He dont give a F what you think. He is gonna do it his way, and he knows if he wins it doesn't matter who is on staff. If he loses it doesn't matter who is on staff. He is gonna be praised or go down in flames. If Woody thinks Fife isn't helping him, him being a former player doesn't matter one bit, he gone.

lol...a lot of things sail over your head

You make this claim based on what? You have absolutely no idea what took place and whether or not he had the option of 7 days since the St. Mary's game......which coincidentally would've been yesterday. Woody has to find a coach so you would complain if he had one lined up when Fife got fired. You're just a PU fan spouting nonsense as you tend to do.
He was fired 7 days after the season ended. That was his option, resign or be fired 7 days after the season ended.

At bare minimum, he should have been given through the Final Four weekend.

Reactions: bailey777
That's cute and all but like I said, none of that matters if you don't win games. He just put a lot more pressure on himself for the next few years on the court and in recruiting.

The problem with that is that's it gonna be nearly impossible for him to win if most of the fans want him out. Most thought this was a bad hire from the get go and many IU fans had no idea who Woody was when he was hired. My parents have watched every single IU game since Cheaney arrived and they had never heard of Woodson. I guarantee you most HS kids have no idea who he is. He needs to win big starting next season.

I think I remember reading Bob Knight once said his favorite song was Frank Sinatra's "My Way". I wouldn't be surprised if the song is played at his public viewing as he lays in state at center court in Assembly Hall some day (relatively) soon. ("Some day soon, goin' with him, someday soon." - Judy Collins, Who Knows Where The Time Goes album)

Yes, there were times
I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all
And I stood tall
And did it my way

My way or the highway, it's been said repeatedly.

Reactions: Cavanagh
The problem with that is that's it gonna be nearly impossible for him to win if most of the fans want him out. Most thought this was a bad hire from the get go and many IU fans had no idea who Woody was when he was hired. My parents have watched every single IU game since Cheaney arrived and they had never heard of Woodson. I guarantee you most HS kids have no idea who he is. He needs to win big starting next season.
Winning is the only thing that matters. It doesn’t matter what the fans think. If we win they want him if we lose they don’t.

some fans might want him out if we win, but they will not be considered.

yes he has to win next year. He has to be better than this year or else people will bitch. That’s the bottom line.

Do you know the details of his separation/severance? When someone is let go, you oftentimes don't keep them in their position until they've found a job, you terminate them, often on the spot, and give them a severance package if you think it's owed or earned. In this case, I think all parties are probably aware it's a bad look and sucks for DF that he's moved his family and is now out of a job. I'd guess he got a pretty decent severance and would bet he will be getting several months of pay, if not another year, to find a new job. It gets to be fairly obvious in discussions like this who has never managed people.

Last edited:
Do you know the details of his separation/severance? When someone is let go, you oftentimes don't keep them in their position until they've found a job, you terminate them, often on the spot, and give them a severance package if you think it's owed or earned. In this case, I think all parties are probably aware it's a bad look and sucks for DF that he's moved his family and is now out of a job. I'd guess he got a pretty decent severance and would bet he will be getting several months of pay, if not another year, to find a new job. It gets to be fairly obvious in discussions like this who have never managed people.
He gets all 375k of his salary next year. Fife will be alright.

It was an extremely dumb decision for Woodson to hire him and then fire him. It smacks of ineptitude and I'm not sure why he would want to burn bridges. His first season was underwhelming and next year is more of the same, if TJD doesn't come back. I disagree it will be difficult for IU to fire him. At this point, I'd be surprised if he coaches 4 seasons.
It sucks, all the way around, but he wasn't hired on a whim, and I doubt was fired on one. But sometimes hires that seem to make all the sense in the world, don't work out, and I can tell you from my experience, once you recognize that, the sooner you address it, the better for all.

He's now free to go find a gig and IU is free to start looking for his replacement without it leading to rumors that do him more harm in the search than this.

Assistant coaches are moving and in play right now. IU should get engaged with the whoever they're interested in now, so that they don't possibly end up somewhere else.

Fife can now openly pursue other opportunities, rather than doing it behind the scenes.

While I don’t consider this to be good news, why does everyone think Dane Fife walks on water? Like yeah he was an assistant coach under Izzo but so was Tom Crean. That doesn’t really mean anything. The sky isn’t falling because Fife is gone. I liked the hire as I think most of us did, but move on. It’s not like he isn’t replaceable especially if what is coming out about his time at IU is true.

yes he has to win next year. He has to be better than this year or else people will bitch. That’s the bottom line.
I believe we have failed to finish above a .500 .conference record in 8 of the last 9 seasons. Most of those years we had a losing conference record. This year we made the tourney, and supposedly we would have 2 years ago if it wasn’t cancelled. Still, we had losing conference records in each of those years. In fact, is there a more consistent program in the conference?

Pencil IU in for 7-9 conference wins.

you are worried that people might “bitch”? Fans always do that. Even fans of championship programs.

We don’t have to better next year. IU fans are entirely comfortable finishing below .500 in conference play. If we finish 8th or 12th what’s the difference? Unless you are concerned about what is posted here.

I’m sorry you don’t have any contacts.
\
While I don’t consider this to be good news, why does everyone think Dane Fife walks on water? Like yeah he was an assistant coach under Izzo but so was Tom Crean. That doesn’t really mean anything. The sky isn’t falling because Fife is gone. I liked the hire as I think most of us did, but move on. It’s not like he isn’t replaceable especially if what is coming out about his time at IU is true.
Fife walked on water until yesterday. People loved him until yesterday and many thought he would be the next coach. Right now it is very hip to hate Fife but there is not going to be any IU guy coming in after this fiasco and why would they when they see how quick the fan base will turn on you. I think it was handled terribly but i am in a very small minority most are just fine with this.

Reactions: Chris A.
I think he has to win next year but reading comments I suspect alof of fans would do cartwheels with a a 10-10 record in the big ten.Many thought this year was a huge success even though we went 9-11 so my guess is expectations are so low with this program unless he finishes 6-14 people will be just fine with anything else. It will just be you have to give him four years and let him get his players in here.

I think he has to win next year but reading comments I suspect alof of fans would do cartwheels with a a 10-10 record in the big ten.Many thought this year was a huge success even though we went 9-11 so my guess is expectation are so low with this program unless he finishes 6-14 people will be just fine with anything else. It will just be you have to give him four years and let him get his players in here.
I think the bare minimum was making the tourney this year, we just squeaked that out. If he had not made the tourney it would have been a bad off season. Instead, we won a few when it mattered and got our names in the bracket again, thank god. If he continues momentum and is in the top 25 next year we are good. If not, people will be salty. 9-11 and in the play in will not fly next year.

That explains it…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT