ADVERTISEMENT

Dane Fife not returning

I obviously would prefer he were at IU and my hope is that he isn't leaving on bad terms or anything. As long as that is the case and he is going for another job to gain HC experience, we may see him back again down the road.

Otherwise.....its not good at all.

Wasn't Fife lead recruiter for Little? Hopefully that won't affect his recruitment. Thought he as supposed to decide soon too

Really not shocked by this. I've heard a few things (nothing concrete at all), but just watching them interact on the sideline, something definitely seemed "Off" all year long.

Good luck to Dane wherever he ends up.

Reactions: bailey777
Pretty bummed to learn of this news. Hope it's to take the HC job at Ball St. Anyone know his status?
I was told I was crazy when I posted that a few weeks ago from a connected guy on another board. Looks like he was correct. Too bad but sounds like FIfe was not used much. So it looks like he will not be taking over for Woodson in a few year as many speculated. Sound like Hunter may the only assistant to come back.

Wasn't Fife lead recruiter for Little? Hopefully that won't affect his recruitment. Thought he as supposed to decide soon too
It is not the end of the world if IU does not sign Little. IU is solid at guard with JHS, Cupps and Newton, along with Gunn, Bates, Galloway and Leal. Little would be a solid addition, though.

After ready CMW's comments, things must have been pretty salty between the two. A little shocked he would outright say he was let go. Pretty bold thing to do when you're talking about another fairly prestigious alum.

I just read the statement and I don't like it all. Even if the "fit" wasn't right, IMO, you don't publicly say that.
Just not a good look AT ALL.

So he fired him? Wow ! Somehow I do not think Fife will still consider himself a member of the Hoosier family after this.

“I am committed to doing what I believe is best for the continued growth of our men’s basketball program as we collectively work toward returning it to the upper echelon of college basketball,” said Woodson. “Sometimes, that commitment can result in some very difficult decisions, and that is the case today. Ultimately, I believe that the fit must be right with a coaching staff, and I’ve decided that a change is necessary. I appreciate everything Dane has done as a member of the staff during the last year and as player for our program. He will always be a part of the Hoosier family and I wish him well in his future pursuits.”

Reactions: Neildouglass
After ready CMW's comments, things must have been pretty salty between the two. A little shocked he would outright say he was let go. Pretty bold thing to do when you're talking about another fairly prestigious alum.
I am guessing Fife will come out with his side of the story and not stay quiet. I would image he is livid.

I just read the statement and I don't like it all. Even if the "fit" wasn't right, IMO, you don't publicly say that.
Just not a good look AT ALL.
I am with you. That was a strange way to go about it.

Reactions: mk24
If you recall when Fife was hired, he went on Dakich’s show several times to discuss the future and what tgey wanted to accomplish. Wondering if he may resurface at IU when Woodson is on his way out? Fife is an IU oriented guy and will not be happy with this as his last time at IU.

I am guessing Fife will come out with his side of the story and not stay quiet. I would image he is livid.
unless it was some weird situation were Fife indicated he was planning to quit, and Woody says he can't because he's going to fire him first, then I don't think Fife says much if anything, no matter how upset he is. The press release is pretty bland and doesn't really say anything bad about Fife, so there's not much for Fife to really respond to

They never really talked on the sideline. I would guess it was a mutual separation. Fife has an excellent resume, and will land on his feet. He is a little goofy in interviews. I don’t envision him as a high major coach. Go get Michael Lewis!

Reactions: 76-1
I was always skeptical with the perceived plan of Fife being a coach in waiting, just as I was of Woody's hiring, because both had limited success as a Head Coach. Being an Assistant under Izzo doesn't suggest success at IU (see CTC).

That said, last spring, Woody repeatedly discussed the importance of having a collaborative environment with basketball minds like Fife and Thad and how he was always open to others' ideas. I am disappointed with Dane's release/firing because it suggests that the turmoil between our Assistant Coaches and Woodson had a lot of validity.

I really wish we had a coach who is reflective and willing to accept his shortcomings and rely upon the strengths of others (see John Beilein). Based on this release/firing, I can't help but wonder if Woody wants a staff full of "Yes-Men." Woody's press release is a bad look.

FOj1QXgXoAINk9S

I just mentioned Michael Lewis to a friend. Would love his his intensity & toughness in our program!

Reactions: 76-1
Could have also been that Fife was asked if he wanted it to go the “mutually agree to part” route - but would not agree to it. Either way, Fife will need to explain it at some point to protect his reputation.

I'm guessing Michael Lewis may have some competition for the BSU job...

unless it was some weird situation were Fife indicated he was planning to quit, and Woody says he can't because he's going to fire him first, then I don't think Fife says much if anything, no matter how upset he is. The press release is pretty bland and doesn't really say anything bad about Fife, so there's not much for Fife to really respond to
The statement implies Dane is not committed to excellence. It's a boot in the ass.

Reactions: mk24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT