ADVERTISEMENT

Dane Fife not returning

Well it appears we just can't have an off season without massive drama. Very disappointing on a bunch of levels. I liked being in the tournament. I liked having Fife and Woodson on the bench. I'm expecting a return to the NCAA without a play-in game. Hope all these millionaire coaches can play nice together. Go Hoosiers!

I have no issue with the decision. None. But publicly firing an ex-IU player isn't a great look. And this was a firing - Woody says it was his decision. I guess we wait and see if Fife has anything to say.
I get that. I really do.

Some here currently claiming some "I told you so victory" were incorrectly predicting that Fife would leave on his own because Woody sucks.

I just read the statement and I don't like it all. Even if the "fit" wasn't right, IMO, you don't publicly say that.
Just not a good look AT ALL.

Despite him being a loved alumnus by many, I think you should look at this like "Woodson knows things need to get better and he is willing to make changes immediately if something isn't working out".

Despite him being a loved alumnus by many, I think you should look at this like "Woodson knows things need to get better and he is willing to make changes immediately if something isn't working out".
The way this is COMMONLY done in smoothly functioning organizations is the “fired” is given some reasonable time to find a new job.

This smacks of revenge.

After listening to the Rabjohns interview on JMV, Fife and Woodson didn't get along. It was a bad marriage and everyone saw this split coming...and it's for the best. If you read between the lines, it seems like the problem was mostly Dane, not Woody. Rabjohns wouldn't go into the details (hence the interview is not really worth listening to), but there was a laundry list of issues, with many beginning during the Bahamas trip. That said, Rabjohns did confirm that Woody doesn't utilize his assistants or Thad for coaching advice, instead choosing to rely on his NBA Advisors. I was disappointed to hear this.

According to the other sites, not Rabjohns interview, some reasons that Dane was released, include:

1. Dane tweeting his opposition towards NIL (IU made him take the tweets down)
2. Dane not landing any recruits
3. Dane saying that MSU has the best student section
4. Indiana HS coaches not liking Dane at all
5. Dane offering a recruit he was told not to offer (Myles Colvin?)

The way this is COMMONLY done in smoothly functioning organizations is the “fired” is given some reasonable time to find a new job.

This smacks of revenge.
Interesting. I would have guessed you would go with "the rats are jumping ship" angle. Is this the generally accepted narrative on GBI? Did your good buddy ordy approve?

Interesting. I would have guessed you would go with "the rats are jumping ship" angle. Is this the generally accepted narrative on GBI? Did your good buddy ordy approve?
I work in a profession where “hard” decisions must be frequently made. Treating people with dignity and respect on their way out is a commendable trait.

THIS WAS NOT THAT, nor was it intended to be that. It was cheap and bush, and what comes around goes around.

This smacks of revenge.

If there was ever a person not to care about how he was fired it would Fife.

Fife would be the type person to say “Hey, people can read between the lines and know I was fired, so why should I care if it’s said publicly”

• Love
Reactions: EarlTubbs
Pretty bummed to learn of this news. Hope it's to take the HC job at Ball St. Anyone know his status?
I think it's definitely a sign of something wrong that maybe he was not the heir apparent. It's a bad look for both because I think everyone assumed he was. It could be a good sign for us that we still have a possible heir that is not that old and completely proven, i.e., somebody's back is feeling better now

Dane speaks:

FOkeKVHXIAINE0t

No, you're reading too much into it. it says the fit with the coaching staff has to be right. It wasn't. Period.
Like being thrown down in the mud and kicked in the head with an iron boot bad. Dane's farewell message was about as gracious too.

So now we are starting to look like the real life version of the HBO Lakers series. Does this effect recruiting? I am not surprised and had really been wondering where Fife was most of the yr as you never seemed to see much of him. I have no idea who was the problem but the whole scenario was set up for doom from the start. Not saying Woodson is doomed but the whole idea of this coaching trifecta. In Football The Bears got away with Ditka and Buddy Ryan for a bit but the offense and defense were two totally separate units and not saying this was a Def/Off situation but a least in football you could sort of make it work.

No mention of Woodson
Have you ever hired or fired someone?
Sometimes, unless you are the amazing Kreskin, the best of intentions don't work out. As much as people like their conspiracy theories, it is as simple as they didn't see eye to eye. Maybe not and we will probably never know.
Yes. Yes. And it means I made a bad hire if I have to fire them.

Anybody think that the role DF took in mentoring RP and how that turned out this season factored in?

I think the generally accepted principal is that Fife didn't get along with Woodson, and/or he simply wasn't contributing enough. Conjecture: maybe Fife thought Woodson would "love to hear" all the other ways to do things from his time with Izzo and disagreed with and didn't get fully on board with what he was doing.

Purdue’s assistant terry Johnson will be named the new ball st coach as soon as their season is over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT