ADVERTISEMENT

92 Spots in 14 Months.

If this $1M raise was in his original contract then I am fine with it.

I don’t think the raise was in the original contract when I look at the 2021 MOU linked below. Not in the incentives list. I think Scott decided to do this last summer, which is wild.

And what’s even more wild is he only gets a $685K bonus if he wins the friggin’ national title! It’s just a $25K bonus for making the dance and $25K bonus for winning a first round game. Yet we just gave him an extra $1M per year! That’s a final four/natty type season to get an extra $1M in various bonuses.

If there was some undocumented agreement that’s even worse for Scott.

I’ll just say again, I know it doesn’t really matter, it’s just fun to discuss on a slow day.

MOU
Yeah...that is wild. I just can't fathom it the other way, is my problem. And I'm one that thinks Dolson has actually made some pretty solid decisions thus far.

If it wasn't in the contract...I wonder if there wasn't some sort of revenue sharing bonus that they had to give out or accounted for, or they'd lose it?

Or maybe Dolson was just establishing what really should be a reality, that the IU basketball coach will make 4 million plus per year (IU job should be top few in the conference). And he felt comfortable enough with what Woody had accomplished in his first 2 years, to just make that happen immediately for the position?

Initially, Woody was one of the lowest paid coaches in the conference. Doesn't seem right. Kind of like the Yankees manager, or the Cowboys head coach, being among the lowest paid coaches...if I heard that, it wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yeah...that is wild. I just can't fathom it the other way, is my problem. And I'm one that thinks Dolson has actually made some pretty solid decisions thus far.

If it wasn't in the contract...I wonder if there wasn't some sort of revenue sharing bonus that they had to give out or accounted for, or they'd lose it?

Or maybe Dolson was just establishing what really should be a reality, that the IU basketball coach will make 4 million plus per year (IU job should be top few in the conference). And he felt comfortable enough with what Woody had accomplished in his first 2 years, to just make that happen immediately for the position?

Initially, Woody was one of the lowest paid coaches in the conference. Doesn't seem right. Kind of like the Yankees manager, or the Cowboys head coach, being among the lowest paid coaches...if I heard that, it wouldn't make a ton of sense.
I’d guess he was trying to get him to the top few coaches in the B1G — third to be exact. As I’ve said I don’t see why that had to be done — he signed for $3M, wasn’t leaving, and had not outperformed at all. Earn it damn it — personally I’d make the bonuses much higher, that’s why we care about. In the next search coaches will know we are willing to pay more if you’re someone like Beard or the savior Brad. Whatever this just drives me nuts but that’s my problem.

I think Scott nailed the Cig hire, of course tbd. Gives me a little hope if Scott gets to hire the next bball coach whenever that happens.

Was that offer letter easily accessed? I’ve never seen that before. Pretty damn good job offer if you ask me. What was he getting from being an nba assistant? This surely had to be a monster raise, right?

Are all these jobs structured similarly? Annual salary is small compared to the “outside” income? Seems backwards to me.

This whole million dollar increase is baffling. It had to be some sort of handshake agreement or something pre-arranged. But I’ll be damned if I can figure out how he earned it. For convincing Trayce to stay 2 more years? That’s really about his only shining accomplishment.

Was that offer letter easily accessed? I’ve never seen that before. Pretty damn good job offer if you ask me. What was he getting from being an nba assistant? This surely had to be a monster raise, right?

Are all these jobs structured similarly? Annual salary is small compared to the “outside” income? Seems backwards to me.

This whole million dollar increase is baffling. It had to be some sort of handshake agreement or something pre-arranged. But I’ll be damned if I can figure out how he earned it. For convincing Trayce to stay 2 more years? That’s really about his only shining accomplishment.
Highest paid NBA assistant ever was about $1.6M. I’d guess Woody was around $1-1.2M on Knicks given his experience.

I forget the reason for the weird outside income structure. May just be what comes with being a public employee at a university — helps with optics or factors in where $ comes from. I think it’s typical and background mechanics, in reality he gets to $3M. No one noted that Woody had a unique structure.

Inside the Hall FOIA’d the MOU or someone else did and gave it to them. All publicly available if you ask.

Last edited:
Highest paid NBA assistant ever was about $1.6M. I’d guess Woody was around $1-1.2M on Knicks given his experience.

I forget the reason for the weird outside income structure. May just be what comes with being a public employee at a university — helps with optics or factors in where $ comes from. I think it’s typical and background mechanics, in reality he gets to $3M. No one noted that Woody had a unique structure.

Inside the Hall FOIA’d the MOU or someone else did and gave it to them. All publicly available if you ask.
If he got a cool mil for what he achieved last year, is he on pace to glean another $250k or so this season? Damn, I wonder if Dolson needs a driver, a caddy, or a drinking buddy? Seems to be a very generous boss.

Well, PU is the best team in the country, and lost to Nebraska and Northwestern (almost twice). The conference rankings I've seen show the BIG as no. 3 in the country behind the Big 12 and SEC. The BIG has obviously been better, but not bad based on rankings. Definitely not lousy.
Just not many contenders for a natty

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT