ADVERTISEMENT

Damezi Anderson entered Transfer Portal

minneman

Senior
Nov 1, 2001
As expected since the middle of the season, Anderson is transferring. I wish him good luck.

EWTyD7JXQAA3XG2

Reactions: NoVertical
Good luck to the young man.

We need to save the scholarship for the 2021 class, IMO.

Edit: I'm good with a grad transfer as long as it's only for one year, not a two year old. Just want to clarify that.

Good luck to the young man.

We need to save the scholarship for the 2021 class, IMO.

Edit: I'm good with a grad transfer as long as it's only for one year, not a two year old. Just want to clarify that.

For sure, if you don't make it crystal clear then "someone" will be all over you!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: hondo314
It's unfortunate Damezi didn't pan out at IU. It goes to show recruiting is an inexact science, and that kids don't always develop to what a coach thought his potential might have been.

Either way, I believe a fresh start at another program will be good for Damezi. I hope to see him playing in another uniform next season.

Reactions: Brockway
I wish him the very best of luck.

One reason I’ve seen given time and time again for why Archie is better than Crean is that Archie doesn’t have the turnover of players who don’t contribute. Damezi is now the 3rd transfer in 3 years. It’s looking a bit like Groundhog Day. We might want to do away with that myth.

Good for him. I think the transfer portal is good for the game. Kids want to play. By the time they get to college they have much time, effort, and energy invested.
I hope he finds a great fit. He represented IU well.
Go Hoosiers!

One reason I’ve seen given time and time again for why Archie is better than Crean is that Archie doesn’t have the turnover of players who don’t contribute. Damezi is now the 3rd transfer in 3 years. It’s looking a bit like Groundhog Day. We might want to do away with that myth.

Could you please contain your CAM bashing to CAM bashing threads.
TIA.

That doesn't come close to Crean's transfer rate. And I would bet below the average for power 5 schools.

Reactions: brianiu

Not quite yet. We need to have someone hit him with a car before he leaves.

It reminds me a lot of Delray Brooks. Not just because they were both from Northern Indiana but both were can't-miss prospects. In fact, RMK came to my high school to watch Delray but was late to the game. By the time he arrived, MCR was way ahead, & Knight never really saw him play that night. Delray found a new opportunity with Providence & made the most of it. I hope the same for DA. Good Luck DA

"doesn’t have the turnover of players who don’t contribute?" You aren't making any sense, as usual. Nobody has said CAM is better than Crean because he keeps deadwood on the team. Idiotic premise. Remember Tim Priller?

It always looks like Groundhog Day when you're on this board, because all you do is bash CAM over and over and over and over.......

Here's some numbers I found for the last two years..

Number of teams that didn’t have any player transfer: 58 in 2019, 59 in 2018.

Number of teams with one: 93, 94.

Number of teams with two: 90, 78.

Number of teams with three: 58, 55.

Number of teams with four: 29, 43.

Number of teams with five: 23, 22.

There are 351 teams that play college basketball. 17% of college basketball a season didn't have a transfer. Three in 2 years, wouldn't be so bad, I would say.

Reactions: brianiu

1 per year is well below the NCAA average. Way way below that of your hero, Crean. Why do you always have a negative take - every post?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I wish him the best of luck. The past 2 years he just looks out of place out there. Not sure if he lost confidence or his game just didnt translate to high major college. The one difference in Crean and Miller is that Miller doesnt oversign and then just push players out. I think if Anderson wanted to stay then he was welcome to. Gelon may have been the only exception where Crean was basically oversigning every year.

Players transfer, it happens and I'm not going to argue that the transfer rate under CAM is or will be any less than under Crean. I don;t have the time to track that accurately. However, it did seem like under Crean, we often had more recruits than available scholarships so the tea leaves said someone is going to have to go(ie Creaned/forced out). At least so far under CAM, it seems the player gets to make the choice.

I’m glad, he wasn’t going to contribute, best for everyone. I was gonna be shocked if he stayed.

The average is more than 1.5 transfers per recruiting class?
Dude, kids are more likely to transfer now with this portal. Kid wanted to play more and it wasn’t gonna happen at IU. Most college programs have a lot of transfers happening

Good for him. I think the transfer portal is good for the game. Kids want to play. By the time they get to college they have much time, effort, and energy invested.
I hope he finds a great fit. He represented IU well.
Go Hoosiers!
They're kids. It's impossible to know how you'll fit until you spend some time at whatever school, and sometimes it doesn't work out. they should be able to transfer. i totally agree with you.

They use to say ‘Archie has a plan’ too...w just a blind faith...but not hearing that much anymore either.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Anderson just stated last week that he never considered transferring and that he is dedicated to the program. This has to be urged on by the coaching staff since then.

I liked Anderson. Kid never complained and seemed to be ready to play. He just didn't make shots and struggled defensively Retrospectively it was apparent to me that his high school preparation and coaching was not high level. He just needed more time to get ready to play at the Big Ten level, and that time has since passed his opportunities by considering the guards and wings on the roster next season.

He will be a good get for D1 somewhere. The kid is built like a truck and has good size and can run. Also, he can score in a fluid running offense. Anyway, good luck to him.

Archie needs to bring in 6'10" to replace him. Go get a Derrick Nix. Someone who can own the paint on defense and will not be bullied off the block. He doesn't need to score. Give me a Jadlow or a Mujezinovic.

If there is a true stretch 4 out there, that would be fine too, but IU doesn't need a skinny kid who can't guard the post. I doubt there are many Watfords or Evans type guys remaining in the class.

Anderson just stated last week that he never considered transferring and that he is dedicated to the program. This has to be urged on by the coaching staff since then.

I liked Anderson. Kid never complained and seemed to be ready to play. He just didn't make shots and struggled defensively Retrospectively it was apparent to me that his high school preparation and coaching was not high level. He just needed more time to get ready to play at the Big Ten level, and that time has since passed his opportunities by considering the guards and wings on the roster next season.

He will be a good get for D1 somewhere. The kid is built like a truck and has good size and can run. Also, he can score in a fluid running offense. Anyway, good luck to him.

Archie needs to bring in 6'10" to replace him. Go get a Derrick Nix. Someone who can own the paint on defense and will not be bullied off the block. He doesn't need to score. Give me a Jadlow or a Mujezinovic.

If there is a true stretch 4 out there, that would be fine too, but IU doesn't need a skinny kid who can't guard the post. I doubt there are many Watfords or Evans type guys remaining in the class.
It was his HS coach saying that, not Anderson. He said Anderson told him that but the article didn't specify when Anderson told him this. Maybe it was last week and Anderson changed his mind since then. Maybe last month. Maybe earlier in the season. We don't know.

The guy from The Daily Hoosier posted on another site that his sources said the IU staff was trying to convince Anderson to stay as recently as today.

I think he'll end up at a mid-major and do well there. He played pretty well early in the season against low- and mid-major teams.

Your second paragraph says it all. Didn't make shots and struggled Defensively. Unless you are a 7 Footer who can average 12 Rebounds per game and Block 4 shots per game, or a point guard who can average 10 assists and 4 steals per game, there is nothing you can contribute.

In his Defense, I got the feeling that the Coaching Staff lost confidence in him, and had him on a short Leash. If he played 3 Minutes and didn't look like the second coming of Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson, he was sitting the rest of the game.

That doesn't come close to Crean's transfer rate. And I would bet below the average for power 5 schools.
I'm curious, of the transfers from IU under Archie Miller's tenure, what transfer do you (Fpeaugh) have a problem with? There haven't been wholesale transfers, and the ones that have occurred seem to make sense for both the player and IU. If I kid can't get on the court at IU and can get playing time somewhere else, it seems like a good thing for all concerned.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
I don't think so.
I think you're referring to quotes from Damezi's former high school coach, not quotes from Damezi.

The guy from The Daily Hoosier posted on another site that his sources said the IU staff was trying to convince Anderson to stay as recently as today.

That’s just...wow....I’m flabbergasted by that if true.

That aside, best of luck to Damezi. I hope he’s successful at his next stop.

That’s just...wow....I’m flabbergasted by that if true.

That aside, best of luck to Damezi. I hope he’s successful at his next stop.

not shocked at that. No lose situation for IU for him maybe not to be the 13th man. Push guys in practice. Only 2 years left.

I would like to see Damezi at UE. I believe the year off will help him wherever he goes.

Reactions: ulrey
They use to say ‘Archie has a plan’ too...w just a blind faith...but not hearing that much anymore either.

Well, I don't know who "they" are but I will bite.

I think Archie does have a plan and if you can't see his plan when it comes to recruiting, I think you are letting your Archie hate cloud your vision.

Compared to Crean and I know that is a low bar when it comes to recruiting plans, but compared to him, Archie is genius.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT