ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Anderson FGCU

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
There's some talk that Zach Anderson, 6'7", from Florida Gulf Coast, may visit. Grad guy, two year starter, avg 13/5 last year playing 31M. Averaged 6.7 rebs/game the year prior. Lifetime %s of .387 on 3s (459 last year), .699 on FTs. Would seem like a great fit if we can get him.

There's a Frosh from C. Arkansas i wish we'd get involved with. Tucker Anderson. 6'8" 200lbs soaking wet. Ohio St. Is pursuing him. He'd fit our time table. But if we still have big money to spend and are pursuing Thiero and now Sean Stewart we should cross our fingers and wait I suppose.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
There's some talk that Zach Anderson, 6'7", from Florida Gulf Coast, may visit. Grad guy, two year starter, avg 13/5 last year playing 31M. Averaged 6.7 rebs/game the year prior. Lifetime %s of .387 on 3s (459 last year), .699 on FTs. Would seem like a great fit if we can get him.
The 3-point avg is good but who did he hit those 3-point shots against? A bunch of teams that played zone.

Surprised at that FT %.

We have enough openings to take some risks. After playing higher minutes at a smaller program maybe he wants to see if he can contribute to a larger program in a smaller role. Just a guess of the rationale to come to IU.

Rabjohns says he’s visiting today. Sign him up and figure out role and PT later.

Reactions: iulb
I would imagine he would be behind Tucker. I would guess Galloway, Tucker would be 6 and 7 guys.
Galloway and Tucker are guards/wings who can dribble and defend opposing guard/wings. Anderson is a catch and shoot stretch 4. If he commits, there would never be a scenario where he’d be on the floor with two other “bigs”. They would never be jockeying for minutes.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Galloway and Tucker are guards/wings who can dribble and defend opposing guard/wings. Anderson is a catch and shoot stretch 4. If he commits, there would never be a scenario where he’d be on the floor with two other “bigs”. They would never be jockeying for minutes.
He could play 3 when Mgbako moves to 4 when Malik is in foul trouble. Anderson is skilled off the bounce. He has a lot more game than Essigian.

He could play 3 when Mgbako moves to 4 when Malik is in foul trouble. Anderson is skilled off the bounce. He has a lot more game than Essigian.
Would need to show some serious ability to dribble and guard smaller, quicker opponents for that to happen.

Rice, MM, Anderson, either MR/Ballo and pick one for the other open spot. Would be interesting.

We shouldn't get too hung up on positions. There is playing time for a stretch 4. Three guards, a stretch 4 and Ballo/MR on the floor gives the 4 out look that Woody has wanted. My limited coaching was centered on making runs while the other team tried to match up. When they figure it out, you create a new advantage.

It's good to have players with different skills or strength. It is the coach's job to identify the strengths and use them in the right combinations and when most advantageous. There is always a spot for a good shooter regardless of position.

1 Rice, Cupps
2: Carlyle, Galloway, Newton, Leal
3- MM, Tucker
4- MR, Anderson
5- Ballo
Need a rim protector
I'd be surprised if Cupps is Rice's backup. It might be more likely that Carlyle or Galloway would slide over to point when Rice is on the bench. But it might very well be that both Rice and Carlyle will be running the offense when both are in the game at the same time since they are both playmakers. Should be interesting to see how this develops. Could be a wealth of riches for a change.

I'd be surprised if Cupps is Rice's backup. It might be more likely that Carlyle or Galloway would slide over to point when Rice is on the bench. But it might very well be that both Rice and Carlyle will be running the offense when both are in the game at the same time since they are both playmakers. Should be interesting to see how this develops. Could be a wealth of riches for a change.
Trey will be the point backup. He can see over the defense and penetrate. Carlyle is better as a wing shooter. Cupps needs to work on his catch and shoot game. He struggles trying to penetrate.

Trey will be the point backup. He can see over the defense and penetrate. Carlyle is better as a wing shooter. Cupps needs to work on his catch and shoot game. He struggles trying to penetrate.
still think Cupps is a more natural PG than Trey. Just because Trey gets assists doesn't mean he is best served running our offense. Bird got a lot of assists too, as does Jokic. Trey didn't shoot 46% from 3 as a PG, and that's a huge reason why. If you want his shooting % to rise back up to reasonable, let him focus on scoring and not running the offense.

As the roster stands today...Gabe is the backup PG.

Everyone is going to the gym today to work on their game and get better...Gabe probably got there at 5AM. He isn't going to move to the end of the bench next season. He knows, better than any of us message board experts, what he needs to work on. And I'm sure he's doing that.

As the roster stands today...Gabe is the backup PG.

Everyone is going to the gym today to work on their game and get better...Gabe probably got there at 5AM. He isn't going to move to the end of the bench next season. He knows, better than any of us message board experts, what he needs to work on. And I'm sure he's doing that.
No he isn't. Not unless he improves drastically. Is this the CJ Gunn theory of how much he will improve? Here we go again. Trey will initiate the offense. Rice and Carlyle can play wing on certain sets. Cupps struggled getting the ball the floor and setting up teammates.

No he isn't. Not unless he improves drastically. Is this the CJ Gunn theory of how much he will improve? Here we go again. Trey will initiate the offense. Rice and Carlyle can play wing on certain sets. Cupps struggled getting the ball the floor and setting up teammates.
And yet...we played some of our best/most efficient basketball in the minutes when he played with the starters... We weren't deep though, so when we started subbing, things fell off dramatically.

Cupps did struggle at times, no doubt. And if he doesn't learn and improve before next season, then sure, they'll stay away from using him. I just happen to think a kid that works as hard as he reportedly does, has people in his life like his dad that are VERY knowledgeable, that its more likely than not that he will improve a fair bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT