ADVERTISEMENT

Damezi Anderson entered Transfer Portal

You are SO FOS. Show me one person who blamed Crean's lack of success on wasted scholarships and players transferring.

Do you just sit up at night thinking bizarre shit up?
You were leading the argument. You should remember.

You are SO FOS. Show me one person who blamed Crean's lack of success on wasted scholarships and players transferring.

Do you just sit up at night thinking bizarre shit up?
I do remember some people here complaining about Crean's high transfer rate.

But also, yes, fpeaugh sits around thinking up bizarre shit.

I do remember some people here complaining about Crean's high transfer rate.

But also, yes, fpeaugh sits around thinking up bizarre shit.

Sure people complained about it but do you remember anyone using the high transfer rate as a major reason for Crean's lack of success?

Sure people complained about it but do you remember anyone using the high transfer rate as a major reason for Crean's lack of success?

Yes. They made a term called “creaning”up. It was a direct narrative on why he sucked. A ton of posters said, and it is true, you can’t win by bringing in 5-6 new guys a year. Crean stayed young, and only had one true veteran team. Even then it started a freshmen, sophomore, and jr.

Wish him luck. We really hoped he would work out for IU. Liked him from the beginning. Don’t know why it had to come to this conclusion. Will follow your path Damezi!
Let's hope he doesn't get real good and then come back to Assembly Hall or meet us in the tournament. I was scared half to death when Curtis Jones came back because it was possible he would go off. I agree with your sentiments. I hope the best for this young man. Failure is not final. But giving up is.

Yes. They made a term called “creaning”up. It was a direct narrative on why he sucked. A ton of posters said, and it is true, you can’t win by bringing in 5-6 new guys a year. Crean stayed young, and only had one true veteran team. Even then it started a freshmen, sophomore, and jr.

Sure, creaning was used often but I still don't think anyone thought that was a "major" part of his lack of success. A component? Yes.

I would expect at a bare minimum he would do better than Crean did. So further than the Sweet 16. If Crean can start with Kyle Tabor and get there year 4 surely Archie can.

So Elite 8. Cool.

What if we win the B10, grab a 2 seed, and lose to a very good 3 seed, in triple overtime, in the Sweet 16? Any room for nuance? Or would you, as IUs AD, fire Archie after such a year... because he should do better than Crean?

So Elite 8. Cool.

What if we win the B10, grab a 2 seed, and lose to a very good 3 seed, in triple overtime, in the Sweet 16? Any room for nuance? Or would you, as IUs AD, fire Archie after such a year... because he should do better than Crean?
I’d be happy with that. But judging from the last 3 years I see that as nearly impossible.

So Elite 8. Cool.

When I tag you as a “fanboi”, it’s posts like this that prove the moniker is accurate. Shouldn’t you have included some mention that the only way IU lost in triple overtime was because the opponent hit 14 consecutive three points, many shot underhanded while blindfolded? It’s just as probable as the unrealistic fanboi narrative that you regularly push.

Not what I’m saying.

The argument for Archie being a better recruiter than Crean was that he won’t waste scholarships on players who will transfer. People blamed Crean’s lack of success on that. It’s a double standard figment of bias fans’ imaginations.

NOONE has argued that at all. What posters are stating is that all of the players that Archie has brought in are legit D1 higher level players. Forrester and Moore transferred to LaSalle and Temple. Damezi will land at a mid level or better school. These are higher level players.

Crean brought in Jobe, Muniru, Priller, April and Gelon and others, that had no chance of being higher level D1 players. Four of the five that I mentioned were not even D1 players at ANY LEVEL. Even you can see that difference in recruiting actual D1 talent. There will be transfers, almost every year. The difference is the level of talent that was recruited to IU. Every player that Archie has brought to IU can play. Crean, no way.

NOONE has argued that at all. What posters are stating is that all of the players that Archie has brought in are legit D1 higher level players. Forrester and Moore transferred to LaSalle and Temple. Damezi will land at a mid level or better school. These are higher level players.

Crean brought in Jobe, Muniru, Priller, April and Gelon and others, that had no chance of being higher level D1 players. Four of the five that I mentioned were not even D1 players at ANY LEVEL. Even you can see that difference in recruiting actual D1 talent. There will be transfers, almost every year. The difference is the level of talent that was recruited to IU. Every player that Archie has brought to IU can play. Crean, no way.
“NOONE”? Who or what is that?

Reactions: fpeaugh

If they don’t play at IU what difference does it make?

Sure, creaning was used often but I still don't think anyone thought that was a "major" part of his lack of success. A component? Yes.
Sure it was. It was probably the main reason the state's HS and AAU coaches no longer considered IU as a good location for their players. That combined with his lack of coaching talent and his more than annoying personality were probably the three main factors. Orange people suck at whatever they do, only an incompetent superficial moron does that to themselves..

Reactions: mathboy
Sure it was. It was probably the main reason the state's HS and AAU coaches no longer considered IU as a good location for their players. That combined with his lack of coaching talent and his more than annoying personality were probably the three main factors. Orange people suck at whatever they do, only an incompetent superficial moron does that to themselves..
Crean was in way over his head at IU but Archie is now making him and his tenure seem very successful. His reputation gets better and better with every passing loss.

Because the job is looking harder and harder, and Crean’s results keep looking better and better. Even Crean’s recruiting looks great compared to now.
This still looks the same:

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

If it isn’t Mr. Guaranteed titles and Big Ten COY trophy himself.
Still waiting for the links where I said that - but you can't provide something that doesn't exist, can you?

Then again, we're still waiting on Billy Donovan to show up . . . you still 100% sure??

YDS

Because the job is looking harder and harder, and Crean’s results keep looking better and better. Even Crean’s recruiting looks great compared to now.

Conference, right now, is much deeper. That could be playing a role in Archies conference season performance to an extent. Though he should be moving up the standings like Crean did, regardless of the depth he’s facing. Crean definitely did a better job of turning the ship around more quickly than Archie has.

With Crean, we have the benefit of a full audition. He did turn the program back around. He did have a few very good years. He also had a lot of bad years, and failed to maintain...really anything.

While Archie has taken longer, it’s obvious, to me anyway, that what he’s building is stronger and more reliable than what Crean built. His teams efficiency ratings have improved steadily year over year since he got here. His recruiting efforts have been solidly good for each class. Not top of the conference good, but he’s getting 1 elite guy and solid guys around them in each class thus far. His teams thus far have stayed away from off the court issues, which points to solid vetting in the recruiting process and a solid culture of accountability. As we know from Crean, Sampson, Davis, and even Knights teams...there’s a lot of temptation in Bloomington. A team devoid of structure, rules, expectations, and accountability could not have stayed clean for 3 years. There are also evident on the court improvements. The team is getting progressively better at his pack line defense. Not Virginia good, but getting there. And you can see it’s becoming a point of pride for the team. Some of the most excited bench moments from this season came on great defensive possessions. They’re also very intent on getting the ball down low on offense, and getting in the lane. Which is resulting in a lot of free throw attempts. The good news is the visual improvements many are seeing have been backed up by the KenPom type metrics. It’s also evident in the increased competitiveness against the better teams on the schedule, and the lack of really bad losses.

The bad news, however, is all these improvements haven’t equated into enough conference wins the last two years. And we’re still too susceptible to the long scoring droughts that have caused us many a game over the same stretch.

I both feel, and think, that Archie’s IU program is poised to take off. The depth of the conference might make it look a little more muted than Creans take off years looked. But I feel and think that it’ll be much more sustainable under Archie.

In the end, I trust that he knows what he’s doing. I trust that he has a short term and long term plan. I never trusted any of these things with Crean. And rightly so. I may end up being wrong about Archie. But I’m not wrong yet.

Conference, right now, is much deeper. That could be playing a role in Archies conference season performance to an extent. Though he should be moving up the standings like Crean did, regardless of the depth he’s facing. Crean definitely did a better job of turning the ship around more quickly than Archie has.

With Crean, we have the benefit of a full audition. He did turn the program back around. He did have a few very good years. He also had a lot of bad years, and failed to maintain...really anything.

While Archie has taken longer, it’s obvious, to me anyway, that what he’s building is stronger and more reliable than what Crean built. His teams efficiency ratings have improved steadily year over year since he got here. His recruiting efforts have been solidly good for each class. Not top of the conference good, but he’s getting 1 elite guy and solid guys around them in each class thus far. His teams thus far have stayed away from off the court issues, which points to solid vetting in the recruiting process and a solid culture of accountability. As we know from Crean, Sampson, Davis, and even Knights teams...there’s a lot of temptation in Bloomington. A team devoid of structure, rules, expectations, and accountability could not have stayed clean for 3 years. There are also evident on the court improvements. The team is getting progressively better at his pack line defense. Not Virginia good, but getting there. And you can see it’s becoming a point of pride for the team. Some of the most excited bench moments from this season came on great defensive possessions. They’re also very intent on getting the ball down low on offense, and getting in the lane. Which is resulting in a lot of free throw attempts. The good news is the visual improvements many are seeing have been backed up by the KenPom type metrics. It’s also evident in the increased competitiveness against the better teams on the schedule, and the lack of really bad losses.

The bad news, however, is all these improvements haven’t equated into enough conference wins the last two years. And we’re still too susceptible to the long scoring droughts that have caused us many a game over the same stretch.

I both feel, and think, that Archie’s IU program is poised to take off. The depth of the conference might make it look a little more muted than Creans take off years looked. But I feel and think that it’ll be much more sustainable under Archie.

In the end, I trust that he knows what he’s doing. I trust that he has a short term and long term plan. I never trusted any of these things with Crean. And rightly so. I may end up being wrong about Archie. But I’m not wrong yet.

Damn it man, this is the internet.
QUIT using data,
QUIT taking the emotion out of it,
QUIT MAKING SENSE.

It was not his downfall, lack of D and running an intelligent O that could adapt was

Reactions: Al Bino

I believe you’re letting your bias cloud your judgement.

By this time Crean had the following roster and more:
Zeller
Watford
Oladipo
Hulls
Verdell Jones
Sheehey

And better results, more hype, great momentum. Oh, and his brother wasn’t on FBI wiretapes either for what that’s worth.

I believe you’re letting your bias cloud your judgement.

Zeller
Watford
Oladipo
Hulls
Verdell Jones
Sheehey

And better results, more hype, great momentum. Oh, and his brother wasn’t on FBI wiretapes either for what that’s worth.

I believe I acknowledged that. Though I will say Zeller (5 star, but not top 10 type kid) hadn’t played a minute yet. Olidipo (3 star) was coming off a very inconsistent, albeit promising freshman year. Warford (4 star), was solid, but not top of the conference talent good. Hulls (3 star) the same, solid, but very flawed defensively, Verdell (3 star) had been uneven. With many lamenting his playing time like we did Green and do Smith. Sheehey (3 star), wasn’t really a factor yet. And while there was excitement for that team, namely because of Zeller, and Yogi waiting in the wings...very few predicted the jump they made. Technically, Archies year 3 was more successful in some ways because he made the NCAA tourney. Though I do give Crean a ton of credit for building it from the ashes.

But Crean was incapable of keeping the program going at those levels. And he was alienating high school coaches in the state. And he had multiple player discipline issues. And his teams were horrible defensively.

We know where Crean led us, after his glowing start. It’s led me to value consistency, stability, being solid on both ends of the court, balanced recruiting classes, actual relationships with Indiana high school people again...those things aren’t a ticket to remain mediocre forever. I’ve been on record that he has to start climbing the ladder in the conference, this next year.

In the end, Archies pace of improvement through 3 years at IU is lacking Creans. But We don’t know yet if year 4 will be as good as Creans was.

Last edited:
Zeller
Watford
Oladipo
Hulls
Verdell Jones
Sheehey

Wrong

ADVERTISEMENT