ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

Citing anecdotal case stories of where CRT was used does not make it an enormous problem. It's like an being hyper-focused on 7 people getting a blood clot after 700 million get a shot.

A great way to shut down teaching is to ban it! Yep, that always works great!
I'm a staunch defender of free speech (in contrast, many postmodernist antiracists are not) and tend to agree that the CRT bans aren't the way to handle the issue, but I'm not sure the point you are trying to make is as clear cut as you think it is. Your analogy to alcohol prohibition is severely misplaced, for example.

A better, more recent analogy would be creationism, which has been effectively banned from public schools (rightfully, in my mind). Do you believe, as a result, that the teaching of creationism "exploded in frequency" in public schools?

Yep. I chose lawyering over being a long haul truck driver because I didn’t want to be tied down to necessary work. ;)
Hilarious. One of my many mistakes. I played on an all Bosnian soccer team when half the country came here after the war. So many of those guys ended up truckers and now owning trucking companies, bakeries, restaurants, development stuff. I should have opened an insurance agency and got every one of them. I’d be living off residuals now

A better, more recent analogy would be creationism, which has been effectively banned from public schools (rightfully, in my mind). Do you believe, as a result, that the teaching of creationism "exploded in frequency" in public schools?

The open teaching of creationism has indeed exploded in frequency in private charter schools, usually at taxpayers expense through voucher programs. That way they escape the oversight of the legislation that was specific to public schools.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
The open teaching of creationism has indeed exploded in frequency in private charter schools, usually at taxpayers expense through voucher programs. That way they escape the oversight of the legislation that was specific to public schools.
Do you have proof that teaching creationism has "indeed exploded" in "private" charter schools over what was occurring prior to Kitzmiller in 2005? Or since 1987's Edwards v. Aguillard? Or any state law banning the practice in science classes?

Of course, even if you did, the overall numbers would be much lower since those "private" charter schools teach far fewer students than public schools. If a ban of CRT led to CRT being taught only in all of these "private" charter schools, that would not lead to an "explosion in frequency" of it being taught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have proof that teaching creationism has "indeed exploded" in "private" charter schools over what was occurring prior to Kitzmiller in 2005? Or since 1987's Edwards v. Aguillard? Or any state law banning the practice in science classes?

Of course, even if you did, the overall numbers would be much lower since those "private" charter schools teach far fewer students than public schools. If a ban of CRT led to CRT being taught only in all of these "private" charter schools, that would not lead to an "explosion in frequency" of it being taught.
Just anecdoctal

The creationist museum in KY has thrived in hosting school groups from southern and central Indiana, as well as KY and southern Ohio, that lap up their nonsense. THAT is indoctrination.

A high school classmate is principal at a Charter "Christian school" in southern Indiana and I have had conversations with him about what they teach. It's goofy.

I was never taught of even the existence of the theory of evolution in public schools in the 1970s. The pendulum, I thought, swung more toward sound scientific education, but it seems to me that it has been swinging back for the last decade or so.

Just anecdoctal

The creationist museum in KY has thrived in hosting school groups from southern and central Indiana, as well as KY and southern Ohio, that lap up their nonsense. THAT is indoctrination.

A high school classmate is principal at a Charter "Christian school" in southern Indiana and I have had conversations with him about what they teach. It's goofy.

I was never taught of even the existence of the theory of evolution in public schools in the 1970s. The pendulum, I thought, swung more toward sound scientific education, but it seems to me that it has been swinging back for the last decade or so.
We don't allow anecdotal evidence around here.
bwahahahahahaha! (I tried to keep a straight face.)

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Schools: we need to teach history from the perspective of ALL Americans and not just give a whitewashed account. History can be complicated.

Yes, The Boston Tea Party happened. So did black Wall Street. Yes, the Mayflower landed. So did slave traders. Yes, many founding fathers did brave patriotic acts. Yes, many of them were slave owners.

Fox News: CRT! CRT! This will be the ruin of us all!
It still surprises me that people don't realize Crispus Attucks (a person of color) was killed in the Boston Massacre.

Attucks is even identified in Paul Revere's engraving of the massacre:

Reactions: Crayfish57
I 100% agree with GEN Milley but I think he’s responding and directing to Congressman Waltz given that he points out they are both Green Berets. Gaetz is a piece of trash - not a Green Beret.
I despise Gaetz, especially with his fake Brylcreem Ace Ventura hair.

ace-ventura-654x1024.jpg

Apparently, I ripped you the other day. Didn't mean to. I apologize.

Got any proof of that, or is that just another one of your (wrong) opinions?

It still surprises me that people don't realize Crispus Attucks (a person of color) was killed in the Boston Massacre.

Attucks is even identified in Paul Revere's engraving of the massacre:

I grew up in southern Indiana and I learned that in school. I think a lot of people here weren’t fans of history.

I grew up in southern Indiana and I learned that in school. I think a lot of people here weren’t fans of history.
I grew up too in southern Indiana and knew that well. I remember in fact writing a report in Crispus Attacks in 3rd or 4th grade. Now some fool quotes me and thinks or implies that I don't know that. Bizarre.

I grew up too in southern Indiana and knew that well. I remember in fact writing a report in Crispus Attacks in 3rd or 4th grade. Now some fool quotes me and thinks or implies that I don't know that. Bizarre.
Southern Indiana? Why am I not surprised.

I don't think I ever learned about him in school (60s/early 70s) but my dad told me about him because I asked about the name of the colored high school in Indianapolis with the badass basketball teams.

I don't think I ever learned about him in school (60s/early 70s) but my dad told me about him because I asked about the name of the colored high school in Indianapolis with the badass basketball teams.
Uh, we don't say 'colored' anymore.....

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Most Americans are not fans of history. Part of the reason why we tend to hire history teachers that coach sports. No one expects the calculus teacher to coach.

I recall a man on the street set of interviews asking who fought in the French and Indian War done during an NPR story on said war. Let's just say there were not many correct answers.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Most Americans are not fans of history. Part of the reason why we tend to hire history teachers that coach sports. No one expects the calculus teacher to coach.

I recall a man on the street set of interviews asking who fought in the French and Indian War done during an NPR story on said war. Let's just say there were not many correct answers.

I had a US history teacher that wasnt a coach, He was pretty good and kept things interesting. He also was good at teaching some life mixed in too. Not like the current things being discussed but common sense how to live kind of things. FB coach taught health, he was useless

None of my history teachers were coaches.

The coaches in my school taught Phys Ed. and Drivers Ed.

Reactions: UncleMark
None of my history teachers were coaches.

The coaches in my school taught Phys Ed. and Drivers Ed.
My sr yr Govt teacher was an old guy just promoted from special ed. He basically stood and read out of the textbook in a monotone. Even the goody goody students would sleep through the class. I remember sitting in back sound asleep, woke up and still half asleep said OMG we have half an hr of this yet. He stopped reading walked far enough to turn and look at clock and went back to reading, It was horrible.

My sr yr Govt teacher was an old guy just promoted from special ed. He basically stood and read out of the textbook in a monotone. Even the goody goody students would sleep through the class. I remember sitting in back sound asleep, woke up and still half asleep said OMG we have half an hr of this yet. He stopped reading walked far enough to turn and look at clock and went back to reading, It was horrible.
That's why some people hate history.

I guess I'm fortunate I never had a teacher like that and that I went to a school where our class was a large one - we had 92 in our graduating class.

I can't imagine going to a school the size of Carmel and not getting lost.

The study below shows that social studies teachers tend not to stay as engaged in their subject matter, and 34% coach. I had some bad social studies teachers, but some good ones.

Being one that loves history, I know that most people do not. There may be a specific area they care a little about, particularly if a family member fought in the civil war for the Confederacy (Yankees do not care as much). I see a poll that shows 71% think Hamilton was a president, and a majority think Franklin was. Americans would much rather talk sports than history.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Promoted from special ed? Please tell me you mean special education TA, because a move from Special Education teacher to Government teacher would be a lateral move, at best.

That's why some people hate history.

I guess I'm fortunate I never had a teacher like that and that I went to a school where our class was a large one - we had 92 in our graduating class.

I can't imagine going to a school the size of Carmel and not getting lost.
Small ?? :^) I cant imagine either I had 3-350 Penn close by is like Carmel, not a HS anymore at that size I think it is really unfair to students having schools that big. On a side note funny the basketball class system, Id rather play at a small school and lose to a big oone in tournament than go to a big one and never play, not as bad in football but with what 15 guys on the team in a huge schools lots of guys and girls never get a chance that would have played at your or my school

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
The study below shows that social studies teachers tend not to stay as engaged in their subject matter, and 34% coach. I had some bad social studies teachers, but some good ones.

Being one that loves history, I know that most people do not. There may be a specific area they care a little about, particularly if a family member fought in the civil war for the Confederacy (Yankees do not care as much). I see a poll that shows 71% think Hamilton was a president, and a majority think Franklin was. Americans would much rather talk sports than history.
I love reading about history...like when the Targaryen family was on the throne. :)

Small ?? :^) I cant imagine either I had 3-350 Penn close by is like Carmel, not a HS anymore at that size I think it is really unfair to students having schools that big. On a side note funny the basketball class system, Id rather play at a small school and lose to a big oone in tournament than go to a big one and never play, not as bad in football but with what 15 guys on the team in a huge schools lots of guys and girls never get a chance that would have played at your or my school
I'm for one class basketball also, but that could be a forum itself.

I am big on history as well, The history teacher that was good was also a sideline auctioneer. I had been and going and still am to auctions all my life. He would tell little stories and garage sale stories. That is part of why I like history . I used to chuckle to myself. He somehow got one really great sale about 10 yrs after I graduated and he had no clue . He remembered me from class, remembered me a lot more after the sale but thought the poor guy was going to have a heart attack at the auction. But to the average student he was much more interesting and kept them better engaged and made things more fun vs reading in a monotone.

Wow the presidential poll is crazy, 10's and 100's I guess? Political ephemera has always been a great interest so I know pretty much who ran against who every election esp post Civil War

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I am big on history as well, The history teacher that was good was also a sideline auctioneer. I had been and going and still am to auctions all my life. He would tell little stories and garage sale stories. That is part of why I like history . I used to chuckle to myself. He somehow got one really great sale about 10 yrs after I graduated and he had no clue . He remembered me from class, remembered me a lot more after the sale but thought the poor guy was going to have a heart attack at the auction. But to the average student he was much more interesting and kept them better engaged and made things more fun vs reading in a monotone.

Wow the presidential poll is crazy, 10's and 100's I guess? Political ephemera has always been a great interest so I know pretty much who ran against who every election esp post Civil War
Wow! Interesting. Do you do any picking?

Wow! Interesting. Do you do any picking?

No, I have been buying and selling since I was 10. The picking term came around from that horrid TV show. When I was growing up it was a derogatory term.

'' Antique Picking is the art of buying antiques from auctions and sales and people and selling them at a profit to antique shops. People who do this are known as Antique Pickers.''

It was also akin to trash picking which not to say I have never picked up something out for free along the road and sold it. That show has glamorized it. But yet they go to shops to tell them what stuff is worth but will never buy from a shop because you can't get any deals. I have a friend who is big into bottles that bought a cracked bottle from a shop we both went into before it closed for $750 and sold it for $30,000.

I am sure you see it in law. Pickers buy and want someone to tell them what they will give them. I buy and put a price on it and have a shop to sell from.

But knowing history and having an interest is a big part. Political stuff is soaring right now , a lot of stuff is down, Photography is a upward market. Signs and I think part of that is the pickers show which I never watch as it is so fake are going to be a huge loser for people in the near future. I am watching an online auction now and the prices are so all over the board to try and have an idea and in reality I always say for the most part the stuff has no real value other than what people will pay.

When I was a kid we had a guy show up wanting to look (pick) at any old items we might have in the corners of our buildings. We didn't collect old stuff but one of the buildings (that we tore down) had odds and ends from the previous owner, and it did have some things the guy would have paid for; wood pulleys, husking pegs,...
My told him rather impolitely that he wasn't there to buy things, he was there to steal things and he should scurry on down the road.

A lot of people fought very hard and sacrificed a lot to make sure that our country does not allow the government to discriminate against people based on their race. Despite left-wing activists and the Biden administration trying to ignore that requirement, it still remains the case.

When I was a kid we had a guy show up wanting to look (pick) at any old items we might have in the corners of our buildings. We didn't collect old stuff but one of the buildings (that we tore down) had odds and ends from the previous owner, and it did have some things the guy would have paid for; wood pulleys, husking pegs,...
My told him rather impolitely that he wasn't there to buy things, he was there to steal things and he should scurry on down the road.
There is a fine line, the other side is people see prices but dont take in to account the cost of what it takes to sell stuff , have a customer base etc. Something in the corner of that barn I might get $200 for you cant get 25..........That was before the internet but its all what is it worth to who will buy it . Its not a need like a car or food at all. It isnt a normal business and believe it or not we lose a lot on stuff too

A lot of people fought very hard and sacrificed a lot to make sure that our country does not allow the government to discriminate against people based on their race. Despite left-wing activists and the Biden administration trying to ignore that requirement, it still remains the case.

The question I have, do we start from an equal position? If we do, I get your point. If we do not, how do we overcome the inequality at start.

Below is a story on heirs property. If someone dies without a valid will, the property goes to the group of heirs who own percentages of the property. Most Black families in the South have lost their family farms through this law. The first way is that there si a cost, and often times the survivors could not afford the cost. The second way, if one heir decided they didn't want to farm and wanted out, the entire parcel would be forced to be sold. The family members that wanted to stay farming had to sell. The buyers were almost always White, and almost always bought the land for huge bargains. Since 1900, far far far less land is owned by Blacks today. Now the law has been changed (I believe) but a change in 2019 doesn't really change the overall dynamic. Is simply removing that law putting Blacks and Whites back entirely on equal footing?

Then we get into redlining, which existed very much into the 60s legally, and has been slow to eradicate. If you look at the WIki below, banks are still being charged with, and paying 8 figure fines, for redlining. Is the race being run completely fair? If not, what do we do about it?

Reactions: cosmickid
The question I have, do we start from an equal position? If we do, I get your point. If we do not, how do we overcome the inequality at start.

Below is a story on heirs property. If someone dies without a valid will, the property goes to the group of heirs who own percentages of the property. Most Black families in the South have lost their family farms through this law. The first way is that there si a cost, and often times the survivors could not afford the cost. The second way, if one heir decided they didn't want to farm and wanted out, the entire parcel would be forced to be sold. The family members that wanted to stay farming had to sell. The buyers were almost always White, and almost always bought the land for huge bargains. Since 1900, far far far less land is owned by Blacks today. Now the law has been changed (I believe) but a change in 2019 doesn't really change the overall dynamic. Is simply removing that law putting Blacks and Whites back entirely on equal footing?

Then we get into redlining, which existed very much into the 60s legally, and has been slow to eradicate. If you look at the WIki below, banks are still being charged with, and paying 8 figure fines, for redlining. Is the race being run completely fair? If not, what do we do about it?

that property issue in the south is horrifically sad.

The video made it look like he was talking to Gaetz. So sue me.

And it was a rant when Gaetz isn't allowed to respond to it.
Never fear, good old Tucker stood up for poor little Matty...And btw what exactly do you know about the weasel you're so fired up to defend? I mean he may claim that it's political prosecution by the Dems, but the whole investigation into Gaetz's activities involving sex with minors started last summer under Trump, following the arrest and indictment of Joel Greenberg...

"Greenberg was first indicted last summer on two counts, and prosecutors have added more than 30 charges since then, including sex trafficking of a minor, fraud, and conspiracy. It was during the course of the investigation into Greenberg's activities that prosecutors are said to have turned up evidence that led them to scrutinize Gaetz as well.

In court papers accompanying the plea agreement, Greenberg admits to paying women for "commercial sex acts" with him and other men, who are not identified in the documents."

Now Greenberg has pled guilty to among other charges sex trafficking of a minor and agreed to cooperate. Given how much his relationship with Gaetz is intertwined in his being the (former) Tax collector in Seminole, many people view the plea deal as bad news for Gaetz. We'll see...

So did you miss Tucker's attack on Milley? No doubt you won't see the response from Gen McCaffrey as a smackdown either, but when Carlson makes assertions which McCaffrey knows from personal experience aren't true and actually disproves them I'd label that as a smackdown. And I'm guessing Tucker will be forced to strategically walk back calling the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs a "pig" and coward, but we'll see...

So far Milley's been attacked by Carlson, Ingraham, and had an earlier row with Steven Miller. If you're looking to be seen as a "good guy" probably no three more despicable people to have oppose and attack you... Btw, Tucker doesn't seem to realize that Milley is a Trump appointee- he was the one embarrassed by the church clearing fiasco...

Tucker- now this is an (uneducated) rant (just to get your terminology corrected)

This is a smackdown, exposing someone's BS...and outright lies

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT