ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

So I don't have all the time in the world right now but I did review the first few links. The first two are the same story funny enough (PBS just reprinted the hechingerreport.com piece apparently). I still don't see a purposeful anti-racist curriculum denoted. Yes, there are myriad resources/consultants to help teachers/educators/administrators have an understanding of anti-racism and to consider possible systemic racism in their dealings with students. But, no actual focused curriculum. This youtuber mentioned in the first two articles seems like a boogeyman(person) b/c she has minimal subscribers and views. 9 year olds opening boxes get more views. I will admit this video is a bit insane:

I tend to disagree with the broad generalization that there are only racists and anti-racists. Those seem like poles to me. I will also agree that we should do better to teach children in school about the negative effects POC experience b/c of racial inequalities that existed 150, 100, and even 50 years ago. While I don't think the anti-racism playbook is the right one I do hope is spurs conversation on a better way.
You asked earlier:

"Show me where CRT is being taught in K-12 schools, because the more we get into this it's becoming clearer that this is another media/political created narrative to whip the right into a frenzy."

Whether schools are officially documenting what is going on in a written curriculum or not (one of the links contains the thoughts of an antiracist teacher who said she is infusing everything she does with antiracism, so I'm not sure how you'd document that in a curriculum) this stuff is "being taught" and this is not a "narrative to whip the right into a frenzy." The links I provided are most definitely NOT from conservative websites and they certainly establish that antiracist thought is being taught.

Are the people on the right (and many of us in the center and left) incensed by this stuff? Yes. Are right-wing media smart enough to capitalize on this? Yes. But I think your causal link is backwards.

If you're just looking at Indiana, people are probably overreacting in certain places to this stuff. But there are many places where antiracism has been introduced and is becoming the dominant mode by which entire school systems are run (see Evanston, IL, and Oak Park, IL). As I've noted before, in Evanston and Oak Park, as a result, they are now "detracking" because not enough minority students are represented in honors classes, so they are (or already have) eliminating those in the name of racial equity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: larsIU
Schools: we need to teach history from the perspective of ALL Americans and not just give a whitewashed account. History can be complicated.

Yes, The Boston Tea Party happened. So did black Wall Street. Yes, the Mayflower landed. So did slave traders. Yes, many founding fathers did brave patriotic acts. Yes, many of them were slave owners.

Fox News: CRT! CRT! This will be the ruin of us all!

Reactions: UncleMark
Schools: we need to teach history from the perspective of ALL Americans and not just give a whitewashed account. History can be complicated.

Yes, The Boston Tea Party happened. So did black Wall Street. Yes, the Mayflower landed. So did slave traders. Yes, many founding fathers did brave patriotic acts. Yes, many of them were slave owners.

Fox News: CRT! CRT! This will be the ruin of us all!
I don't get my opinions from Fox News. I've read Kendi's work. Have you?

I've read Kendi's work. Have you?
Nope, and I doubt that any grade school teachers or administrators have either. They want to inspire kids to be good people. They are not running some clandestine liberal indoctrination camp, as imagined by the stooges.

Reactions: UncleMark
How many kids do you have in public schools?

I can tell you that I know for a fact that tenets of CRT, anti-racism, or whatever the **** else you want to call it are being taught in the K-12 schools my children attend because I have seen it. I can also tell you that "get me the curriculum" is hard as shit because you have to file a FOI request to get your hands on it now that attention is being put on the topic. But the kids were home with the parents for a major portion of the last school year, parents have a pretty good idea of what is being pushed. And it is not just CRT that is driving the anger, there is an overall devolution of academics that seems to have gone along with the introduction of SEL and DEI as well.

If you have kids and you are not intimately involved in what they are learning, you need to be. The new wave of educators are not the teachers we had when we were young....

I don't deny there are probably elements nor do I deny that there are probably some nut job teachers going off the rails on this.

What's becoming to me is how it's manifested itself and has grown into a full on fear campaign, which really pisses me off the more I'm forced into these conversations and have to figure out if this right wing distortion that's being weaponized is legit.

Put another way, I can simply Google teaching slavery denial and get a litany of news stories of teachers, communities and text books that are teaching that.

How easy would that be to say this is what the crazy right is trying to OUR KIDS STARTING IN PRE-SCHOOL!!!!

Then watch it become a thing.

Like this story of a Florida teacher teaching slavery denial.

https://news.yahoo.com/news/florida...0TrZcN6eG85DNNP8y0pmOI20_foLdGKe95OwNBvPvpgkX

Last edited:
Nope, and I doubt that any grade school teachers or administrators have either. They want to inspire kids to be good people. They are not running some clandestine liberal indoctrination camp, as imagined by the stooges.
You are wrong about the notion that no grade school teachers or administrators are reading Kendi. I've already provided plenty of links that disprove that notion.

You asked earlier:

"Show me where CRT is being taught in K-12 schools, because the more we get into this it's becoming clearer that this is another media/political created narrative to whip the right into a frenzy."

Whether schools are officially documenting what is going on in a written curriculum or not (one of the links contains the thoughts of an antiracist teacher who said she is infusing everything she does with antiracism, so I'm not sure how you'd document that in a curriculum) this stuff is "being taught" and this is not a "narrative to whip the right into a frenzy." The links I provided are most definitely NOT from conservative websites and they certainly establish that antiracist thought is being taught.

Are the people on the right (and many of us in the center and left) incensed by this stuff? Yes. Are right-wing media smart enough to capitalize on this? Yes. But I think your causal link is backwards.

If you're just looking at Indiana, people are probably overreacting in certain places to this stuff. But there are many places where antiracism has been introduced and is becoming the dominant mode by which entire school systems are run (see Evanston, IL, and Oak Park, IL). As I've noted before, in Evanston and Oak Park, as a result, they are now "detracking" because not enough minority students are represented in honors classes, so they are (or already have) eliminating those in the name of racial equity.
I hope that if there are focused anti-racism efforts being made in schools (and you might be entirely correct that we just don't see it yet much in Indiana) that we will see the pendulum shift back to being focused on a more academically rigid teaching of history. I like Marvin's example above. Not everything has to be focused on race, but where there were negative racial impacts b/c of a policy or cultural movement we should teach what those negative impacts were and whether they continued to affect POC further down the road.

If a teacher teaches that the GI Bill was a great contributor to the creation of the American middle class, is that proper history? I think it is.

If they then add that a million America Blacks were denied access to the GI Bill even though they served, is that still history or have we crossed over to CRT?

I am trying to gauge exactly where the issue is. Should we ignore that aspect, or do we teach it?

Have you ever applied for home loan through the GI Bill? I have. It's not like the government just gives you a loan. The government guarantees the loan, but you still have to go through a bank, and you have to pass the credit and income tests. Even then, I still had to come up with a 5% down payment, which doesn't sound like much, but is a helluva lot when you're a student - and I was a grad student working 3 jobs at the time.

And, of course, there was discrimination practiced by banks and real estate agents then. That should be taught.

But teaching that that government denied GI Bill benefits to blacks? No, that is false.

From your link:

"While the GI Bill’s language did not specifically exclude African-American veterans from its benefits, it was structured in a way that ultimately shut doors for the 1.2 million Black veterans who had bravely served their country during World War II, in segregated ranks."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
In other words, you think you know more about it than someone who's read it.

You really are a world-class putz.

Reactions: jet812
Have you ever applied for home lone through the GI Bill? I have. It's not like the government just gives you a loan. The government guarantees the loan, but you still have to go through a bank, and you have to pass the credit and income tests. Even then, I still had to come up with a 5% down payment, which doesn't sound like much, but is a helluva lot when you're a student - and I was a grad student working 3 jobs at the time.

And, of course, there was discrimination practiced by banks and real estate agents then. That should be taught.

But teaching that that government denied GI Bill benefits to blacks? No, that is false.

From your link:

"While the GI Bill’s language did not specifically exclude African-American veterans from its benefits, it was structured in a way that ultimately shut doors for the 1.2 million Black veterans who had bravely served their country during World War II, in segregated ranks."
You seem to be the ideal audience for CRT training. That paragraph is followed by about 10 more describing how Blacks were prevented from taking full advantage.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Have you ever applied for home lone through the GI Bill? I have. It's not like the government just gives you a loan. The government guarantees the loan, but you still have to go through a bank, and you have to pass the credit and income tests. Even then, I still had to come up with a 5% down payment, which doesn't sound like much, but is a helluva lot when you're a student - and I was a grad student working 3 jobs at the time.

From your link:

You did not pay attention to the entire article. Trade schools and colleges did block access to that part of the GI Bill. Housing restrictions, such as covenants not allowing sales to Blacks, prevented many from buying homes. So yes, Blacks were discriminated against with regards to the GI Bill. The people refusing to sell to Blacks were likely not Black, Asian, or Latino. It was discrimination and it was wrong.

From your link:

DaEvU4JUMAAsscJ.jpg

You seem to be the ideal audience for CRT training. That paragraph is followed by about 10 more describing how Blacks were prevented from taking full advantage.
Have you ever applied for a VA home loan?

You did not pay attention to the entire article. Trade schools and colleges did block access to that part of the GI Bill. Housing restrictions, such as covenants not allowing sales to Blacks, prevented many from buying homes. So yes, Blacks were discriminated against with regards to the GI Bill. The people refusing to sell to Blacks were likely not Black, Asian, or Latino. It was discrimination and it was wrong.
Please show me where I said there was no discrimination.

Have you ever applied for a VA Home Loan? Do you know all that's required? Do you know white Americans are also turned down?

Again, I'm not saying there was no discrimination. I said it wasn't the fault of the GI Bill.

More evidence that, yes, people in education are reading a lot about CRT and that CRT (so called, but also antiracism as admitted by even Joy Reid in the initial tweet) is being taught in K-12:

You have totally missed the forest for the trees.

You’ve been presented with piles of evidence that CRT principles are being taught in some schools (I grant they are the minority - for now) and you pivot to “shucks I think teachers are just good people.”

You have totally missed the forest for the trees.

You’ve been presented with piles of evidence that CRT principles are being taught in some schools (I grant they are the minority - for now) and you pivot to “shucks I think teachers are just good people.”
I'm just going to post this because it shows the two most preeminent people connected to the Military applying a smackdown to Matt Gaetz. And I love seeing that clown get smacked around...

Outside Shooter, I recall you posting about how proud you were of your son in his college mathematics class. I assume he has a gift for that and had the opportunity to take advanced mathematics, beyond his grade level, in K-12, and that you wanted that opportunity for him.

What do you believe your own reaction would be if, while he was in school, you were told your school system would be eliminating such opportunities in the name of antiracism?

How do you respond to the antiracist argument that your son benefited from a racist system that provided him with those opportunities? That you, by taking advantage of it, were a hoarder of educational opportunity and a supporter of racist policies?

I don't write this to anger you. I write it in an attempt to make you see how this might affect you if you were in my shoes, and to see how insensitive it is for you to call people stooges who just want for their children what you provided for yours.

I'm just going to post this because it shows the two most preeminent people connected to the Military applying a smackdown to Matt Gaetz. And I love seeing that clown get smacked around...

LMAO! A General goes on a rant and no reply from Gaetz is shown. Yeah, what a smackdown, when the other person isn't allowed to respond because his time is up.

The General also said Gaetz was a Green Beret. I didn't know that. How does your military service stack up to that?

Please list for me all schools that have eliminated mathematics from their curriculum in favor of teaching only anti-racism.

[crickets]

Dumb hypothetical.

LMAO! A General goes on a rant and no reply from Gaetz is shown. Yeah, what a smackdown, when the other person isn't allowed to respond because his time is up.

The General also said Gaetz was a Green Beret. I didn't know that. How does your military service stack up to that?
It was hardly a rant. General Milley gave a compelling presentation about how knowledge is power (you should listen to his comments; you might learn something) and all that weasel Gaetz could do was shake his head.

And Milley was talking to Mike Waltz about serving as a Green Beret, you moron, not Gaetz. Gaetz has no military experience. He's had to fight like hell, though, to avoid STIs. And indictments.

Here’s what I don’t get. The history of racism in the USA is not disputed. There should be no doubt that history has held AA’s back. At the same time we have done much to no eliminate past sins, including measures to actually remediate them. Now it’s 2021. Our civil rights laws and other remedial actions have been in effect for almost 60 years. Yet we still have significant AA underperformance in education, incomes, wealth, and many other social conditions. We must figure out a way to move forward. Does CRT help with that? Does the 1619 project help? Does changing a few names help? Does separating us into victims and perpetrators help? Nobody says racism is good, but does Kendi’s view of anti-racism contribute anything of value. It seems to me we are unduly focused on ”equity” which perpetuates the bigotry of low expectations. We have to do better. Dwelling on our history is easy and likely feels good for many whites and blacks, but in the final analysis it isn’t productive.

Here’s what I don’t get. The history of racism in the USA is not disputed. There should be no doubt that history has held AA’s back. At the same time we have done much to no eliminate past sins, including measures to actually remediate them. Now it’s 2021. Our civil rights laws and other remedial actions have been in effect for almost 60 years. Yet we still have significant AA underperformance in education, incomes, wealth, and many other social conditions. We must figure out a way to move forward. Does CRT help with that? Does the 1619 project help? Does changing a few names help? Does separating us into victims and perpetrators help? Nobody says racism is good, but does Kendi’s view of anti-racism contribute anything of value. It seems to me we are unduly focused on ”equity” which perpetuates the bigotry of low expectations. We have to do better. Dwelling on our history is easy and likely feels good for many whites and blacks, but in the final analysis it isn’t productive.
So if someone reaches Black Wall Street and that Blacks were not allowed to fully partake in the GI Bill are they teaching history or CRT?

Reactions: IUclover
Seems to me this is a difficult conversation to have an a lot of it has to do with emphasis. History is vast and there is only so much you can teach.

Should we teach black Wall Street? Sure. But we should probably spend more time on the cause and effects of the 1929 crash.

Can you mention that the founding fathers were slave owners? I guess, although that’s hardly one of the things you should emphasize when teaching them.

CRT is an issue because it denies progress and assigns blame to the innocent.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
So if someone reaches Black Wall Street and that Blacks were not allowed to fully partake in the GI Bill are they teaching history or CRT?
Those are historical, documented facts that should be taught. I’ve seen few dispute that. What I want left out of my son’s education is presenting opinions on what effect it has on blacks today. Those are discussions to be had in a venue where ideas & opinions can be shared & debated, not presented to children as fact.

Those are historical, documented facts that should be taught. I’ve seen few dispute that. What I want left out of my son’s education is presenting opinions on what effect it has on blacks today. Those are discussions to be had in a venue where ideas & opinions can be shared & debated, not presented to children as fact.
See, we are not too far off.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
See, we are not too far off.
Yet the links that BradStevens shares outline many examples suggesting the teaching is moving beyond the documented facts & discussing what it means to be racist, anti-racist,blah blah blah. Schools, elementary in particular, have no business teaching morals or ethics, yet many here continue to either deny it’s happening in spite of the evidence provided or argue that it’s acceptable. I suspect that my opinion on how prominent these events are in the classes differs greatly from many of you…

Beats me. When I hear a black person talk about slavery in the first person, and talk about white people being slave owners in the second person, that person has learned slavery is more than history. i think that is an impediment to progress. CRT is part of that.

Gaetz is a racist fratboy spoiled rich kid who should have been convicted of a DUI and never elected to Congress. His State Senator daddy got the charges dropped, and at the very least he should have lost his license after refusing to take a breathalyzer...

"The low blow caused Rep. Hank Johnson of Georgia to bring up the time Gaetz caught a DUI back in 2008. According to the Tampa Bay Times, a 26-year-old Gaetz was driving back from an Okaloosa Island nightclub called Swamp when an officer caught him going 48 in a 35 miles per hour zone. According to the officer, Gaetz was pulled over in a BMW SUV registered to his state senator father and he fumbled for his license and registration. He also had bloodshot and watery eyes, and swayed and staggered while exiting the car, according to the report. Ultimately Gaetz refused a field sobriety tests and a breath test and was arrested.

He should have gotten his license suspended for his refusal to take the tests, according to Florida law, but somehow he was able to keep his license. The charges were also dropped."

As for giving Gaetz an oppty to "reply"...

Gaetz spewed his nonsense at the beginning trying to play games and claiming "officers" were telling him they were cowed by Sec Austin's directive cracking down on extremist behavior. When Austin took him to task claiming that far more people were supportive of the crackdown than the few right-wing types who would even bother talking to Gaetz (who will likely be charged for sex trafficking in July), Gaetz tried to claim that people were "intimidated" and only told him what he wanted to hear...

The only thing wrong with Austin's smackdown was that he should have reminded Gaetz how Gaetz has spent the last 4 yrs butt kissing the ultimate example of a man obsessed with surrounding himself with "yes men". Normal leaders don't act that way, but Trump is an egomaniac and that's exactly the type of sycophants he depends on to boost his ego.
Notice how instead of whining about how Gaetz was attacking him, Austin jumped to the defense of the people who serve under him...

Gen Milley could spot Gaetz's BS a mile away and was outraged at the little weasel. Gaetz wanted to attack the Black man and didn't want to deal with an actual Miltary Officer debunking his earlier claims, so he tried to avoid allowing Milley to respond. But the Dem House member realized exactly how much Milley wanted to rebuke the little weasel, and yielded her time. Gaetz had no choice but to sit there and have Milley basically call him out as an idiot...

LOL on you thinking Matt Goetz was even in the Military, much less a Green Beret...

Can you mention that the founding fathers were slave owners? I guess, although that’s hardly one of the things you should emphasize when teaching them.
I guess?

It’s imperative we teach that while our founders were certainly enthralled with the concept of an egalitarian paradise of representative government they were also willing to cut a deal to make an entire race of people worth 3/5’s of a white man in furtherance of this goal. And that, in doing so, set the stage for so many of the problems which have underpinned our society thereafter. And that doesn’t even mention their treatment of women and the non-propertied riff raff.

Yes we should 100% learn the concepts they espoused but we should also be faithful to the truth. And that truth is that, at the time of the founding, all people were not equal. We’ve done so much to right these wrongs but, like the Germans, we must be unafraid to tell the truth.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Gaetz is a racist fratboy spoiled rich kid who should have been convicted of a DUI and never elected to Congress. His State Senator daddy got the charges dropped, and at the very least he should have lost his license after refusing to take a breathalyzer...

"The low blow caused Rep. Hank Johnson of Georgia to bring up the time Gaetz caught a DUI back in 2008. According to the Tampa Bay Times, a 26-year-old Gaetz was driving back from an Okaloosa Island nightclub called Swamp when an officer caught him going 48 in a 35 miles per hour zone. According to the officer, Gaetz was pulled over in a BMW SUV registered to his state senator father and he fumbled for his license and registration. He also had bloodshot and watery eyes, and swayed and staggered while exiting the car, according to the report. Ultimately Gaetz refused a field sobriety tests and a breath test and was arrested.

He should have gotten his license suspended for his refusal to take the tests, according to Florida law, but somehow he was able to keep his license. The charges were also dropped."

Gaetz spewed his nonsense at the beginning trying to play games and claiming "officers" were telling him they were cowed by Sec Austin's directive cracking down on extremist behavior. When Austin took him to task claiming that far more people were supportive of the crackdown than the few right-wing types who would even bother talking to Gaetz (who will likely be charged for sex trafficking in July), Gaetz tried to claim that people were "intimidated" and only told him what he wanted to hear...

The only thing wrong with Austin's smackdown was that he should have reminded Gaetz how Gaetz has spent the last 4 yrs butt kissing the ultimate example of a man obsessed with surrounding himself with "yes men". Normal leaders don't act that way, but Trump is an egomaniac and that's exactly the type of sycophants he depends on to boost his ego.
Notice how instead of whining about how Gaetz was attacking him, Austin jumped to the defense of the people who serve under him...

Gen Milley could spot Gaetz's BS a mile away and was outraged at the little weasel. Gaetz wanted to attack the Black man and didn't want to deal with an actual Miltary Officer debunking his earlier claims, so he tried to avoid allowing Milley to respond. But the Dem House member realized exactly how much Milley wanted to rebuke the little weasel, and yielded her time. Gaetz had no choice but to sit there and have Milley basically call him out as an idiot...

LOL on you thinking Matt Goetz was even in the Military, much less a Green Beret...
You just ramble on and on believing anything and everything you read on the internet without a clue. And you never learn. You never ever think for yourself. You have no idea what the law is or how it functions in a local circuit. You have no idea why his dwi was dropped and his license reinstated - you just write he should have gotten his license suspended for refusing to blow under Florida law. How do you know? Maybe the case was shit and they dumped it. Maybe the cop F’d up. There are so many procedural things a cop has to do perfectly to keep it from being dumped. Here’s a lesson - always refuse to blow. Do you know many states the law is that if you refuse to blow you lose your license for a year? That’s the law. But guess what some counties let you file a petition for review and if it’s a first dwi and you take an sis on the crim charge you can have the petition for review confessed and you don’t lose your license for a single day. You get a stay order until the confession that you use as a license. But the law says if you refuse you lose your license for a year - hmmmmmm.

You are something else.

Last edited:
I guess?

It’s imperative we teach that while our founders were certainly enthralled with the concept of an egalitarian paradise of representative government they were also willing to cut a deal to make an entire race of people worth 3/5’s of a white man in furtherance of this goal. And that, in doing so, set the stage for so many of the problems which have underpinned our society thereafter. And that doesn’t even mention their treatment of women and the non-propertied riff raff.

Yes we should 100% learn the concepts they espoused but we should also be faithful to the truth. And that truth is that, at the time of the founding, all people were not equal. We’ve done so much to right these wrongs but, like the Germans, we must be unafraid to tell the truth.
I agree and think we have a similar view of how it should be taught. Every major civil rights movement in our countries history pointed to the founding fathers, documents and ideals and called out the hypocrisy of those ideals not being applied to all people.

Revisionist bastardizations of history like the 1619 Project claim that because those concepts weren’t applied equally at the countries founding, then the country was founded in racism and is inherently racist.

Please list for me all schools that have eliminated mathematics from their curriculum in favor of teaching only anti-racism.

[crickets]

Dumb hypothetical.
That's not what I wrote. And I'm pretty sure you know that.

But I'll try one more time: was your son in accelerated math classes in high school?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It was hardly a rant. General Milley gave a compelling presentation about how knowledge is power (you should listen to his comments; you might learn something) and all that weasel Gaetz could do was shake his head.

And Milley was talking to Mike Waltz about serving as a Green Beret, you moron, not Gaetz. Gaetz has no military experience. He's had to fight like hell, though, to avoid STIs. And indictments.
The video made it look like he was talking to Gaetz. So sue me.

And it was a rant when Gaetz isn't allowed to respond to it.

You posed a hypothetical that is nonsensical or at least so rare as to be unimaginable. Like DANC having a cogent argument. Or like DANC even knowing what the word "cogent" means.

There was no 'smackdown'. Gaetz gave as good as he got.

Stop your hysteria, little man.

You posed a hypothetical that is nonsensical or at least so rare as to be unimaginable. Like DANC having a cogent argument. Or like DANC even knowing what the word "cogent" means.
Still living rent free in your head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT