ADVERTISEMENT

DACA, Round...Whatever

Ellis island was the gateway for millions of immigrants who entered the US according to the rules. It is next to the Statue of Liberty. Nobody is suggesting we put a stop to legal immigration. The objective is a measure of control and screening. Your post is typical emotional silliness.

All the talk about shitholes and persecution in the countries of origin is racist. Just as inappropriate as Trump’s shithole remark.
Silly idea. Instead of inhumane treatment of the ones who come north desiring legal entrance, istead of screaming lock em up. Take them to Elllis Island and let them see what and how this counrtry used to feel.
Oh and from this sacred island did we sent a. Ship of Jewish refugees to a little racist thing referred to as the Holocost ?

Ellis island was the gateway for millions of immigrants who entered the US according to the rules. It is next to the Statue of Liberty. Nobody is suggesting we put a stop to legal immigration. The objective is a measure of control and screening. Your post is typical emotional silliness.

All the talk about shitholes and persecution in the countries of origin is racist. Just as inappropriate as Trump’s shithole remark.

Please reread my post. Nowhere did I call a country a “shithole.” Rather I called the situation the parents were coming from shitholes and they were in despair. We have shitholes and people in despair in the US. What I was referring to was the nature of the situation that a parent must be in to risk the life of their child as you suggested they were doing.

I am trying to recall, was it not conservatives angered at changes to illegal Cuban immigration? Before Clinton, we accepted Cubans who made it to US waters. Clinton changed it to "dry feet". Obama would change it to more like everyone else.

Let us compare and contrast these kids with Elian Gonzalez.

Please reread my post. Nowhere did I call a country a “shithole.” Rather I called the situation the parents were coming from shitholes and they were in despair. We have shitholes and people in despair in the US. What I was referring to was the nature of the situation that a parent must be in to risk the life of their child as you suggested they were doing.

Fair enough. But my point remains that basing an immigration policy on the idea that where people come from is less desireable than the United States, and that they are thereby in despair, is not much of a policy. Nor would such a policy be sustainable.

Fair enough. But my point remains that basing an immigration policy on the idea that where people come from is less desireable than the United States, and that they are thereby in despair, is not much of a policy. Nor would such a policy be sustainable.
Bottom line is , We have laws on the books that just need to be enforced, but the left is trying to use this to discredit the Trump administration!

Enforcement of immigration law and border security. Not amnesty. Theses are the top 2 things the House should be working the administration to improve.

No, first we should stop separating kids. Today.
You continue to parrot "...stop separating kids from parents..." but you refuse to say what should be done. A family with mom, dad and three kids (8, 6, and 4 yrs old) illegally enters the US from Mexico. What should we do with them?

Bottom line is , We have laws on the books that just need to be enforced, but the left is trying to use this to discredit the Trump administration!
Potus takes care of discrediting his administration. One is known by the company they keep.

You could keep them in the same facilty, together. How complicated is that?

That was going to be my reply, but you beat me to it. It seems pretty straightforward. Isn't this what was done before the Trump administration changed how policy was enforced? Is this solution really that hard to contemplate?

That was going to be my reply, but you beat me to it. It seems pretty straightforward. Isn't this what was done before the Trump administration changed how policy was enforced? Is this solution really that hard to contemplate?
I believe the problem is that courts ruled kids cannot be held more than 20 days. But if that is true, how does holding them in an abandoned Wal-Mart work around the problem. So holding them together seems to work.

Reactions: hoosboot
You could keep them in the same facilty, together. How complicated is that?
That is illegal. Google the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement. ACLU sued the government to stop that practice. It's against the law to place kids with parents in detention centers or jails.

So please answer the question. What does ICE do with the family of five who have entered the country illegally?

That is illegal. Google the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement. ACLU sued the government to stop that practice. It's against the law to place kids with parents in detention centers or jails.

So please answer the question. What does ICE do with the family of five who have entered the country illegally?

They could try following the agreement you keep bringing up.

A. The government is required to release children from immigration detention without unnecessary delay to, in order of preference, parents, other adult relatives, or licensed programs willing to accept custody.

B. If a suitable placement is not immediately available, the government is obligated to place children in the “least restrictive” setting appropriate to their age and any special needs.

C. The government must implement standards relating to the care and treatment of children in immigration detention

They could try following the agreement you keep bringing up.

A. The government is required to release children from immigration detention without unnecessary delay to, in order of preference, parents, other adult relatives, or licensed programs willing to accept custody.

B. If a suitable placement is not immediately available, the government is obligated to place children in the “least restrictive” setting appropriate to their age and any special needs.

C. The government must implement standards relating to the care and treatment of children in immigration detention

No! There are no other choices than to separate children from their parents. Choices that existed before the Administration changed policy to do this aren't applicable now! Nah nah nah nah...I'm not listening. Build me a wall! :(

Reactions: Rockfish1
The Compromise Bill will help solve the family separation crisis, but does so while providing amnesty. I can't see the conservatives voting for it. Meadows, Cruz and others have offered bills that will help reunite families, improve the asylum process, and allow the administration to enforce the law without separating families. One of those bills should be brought to the floor and voted on.

The Compromise Bill will help solve the family separation crisis, but does so while providing amnesty. I can't see the conservatives voting for it. Meadows, Cruz and others have offered bills that will help reunite families, improve the asylum process, and allow the administration to enforce the law without separating families. One of those bills should be brought to the floor and voted on.
So you think we should pay Trump for his hostages.

Absolutely not. We don’t negotiate with terrorists for hostages. We know how republicans feel about that after we allegedly paid Iran for hostages...even though we didn’t. If we did, Iran did it way wrong.

Reactions: Bill4411
I wouldn't view a stand-alone bill as paying for hostages. And I think the Meadows bill should be a yes vote. I would hope nobody would vote for either of the immigration bills. They shouldn't of tied the family separation crisis to these bills. They are trying buy votes for two bills that can't pass on their own merits.

Both bills have funding for border wall and infrastructure. The original more than the compromise.
Effective border obstacles are expensive and must be constantly monitored and patrolled, therefore they should be deployed only in areas where they are effective. The building of additional infrastructure should be driven by operational requirements and can be constructed under existing law and funded through the regular appropriations process.

No! There are no other choices than to separate children from their parents. Choices that existed before the Administration changed policy to do this aren't applicable now! Nah nah nah nah...I'm not listening. Build me a wall! :(
Excellent point. Notice the MSM never mentions how Obama handled this?

The choice of the previous administration was Catch and Release. Most of these illegal families never showed up for their hearing, and those who went to sanctuary cites were never caught unless they committed crimes.

Excellent point. Notice the MSM never mentions how Obama handled this?

The choice of the previous administration was Catch and Release. Most of these illegal families never showed up for their hearing, and those who went to sanctuary cites were never caught unless they committed crimes.

"most" never show up?

Yes, and no. Some people do skip court hearings: In cases that began in fiscal year 2017, 3,167 UACs were given removal orders after failing to appear at a court hearing, according to the Syracuse data.

But far more show up for court. Over the last 13 years, more than twice as many cases were resolved with immigrants in court rather than in absentia, according to the Syracuse data. What's more, nearly all UACs show up when they have attorneys. Just 75 represented UACs were found in absentia, out of more than 54,036 overall cases from fiscal year 2017.

Gilman said informed families are likely to show up for court hearings, and families with representation are even more likely.
And of course we could always employ ankle bracelets which should reduce the numbers even more. But it appears the secret is to have someone in contact with them explaining the process. Only 75 with lawyers skipped. Maybe it doesn't have to be a lawyer, maybe we could have social workers or parole officers working with them? Someone who keeps them in the loop on their rights and responsibilities.

"most" never show up?

Yes, and no. Some people do skip court hearings: In cases that began in fiscal year 2017, 3,167 UACs were given removal orders after failing to appear at a court hearing, according to the Syracuse data.

But far more show up for court. Over the last 13 years, more than twice as many cases were resolved with immigrants in court rather than in absentia, according to the Syracuse data. What's more, nearly all UACs show up when they have attorneys. Just 75 represented UACs were found in absentia, out of more than 54,036 overall cases from fiscal year 2017.

Gilman said informed families are likely to show up for court hearings, and families with representation are even more likely.
And of course we could always employ ankle bracelets which should reduce the numbers even more. But it appears the secret is to have someone in contact with them explaining the process. Only 75 with lawyers skipped. Maybe it doesn't have to be a lawyer, maybe we could have social workers or parole officers working with them? Someone who keeps them in the loop on their rights and responsibilities.

Sounds like fake research to me. Limbaugh and Fox say they all come here and join gangs ...or reunite with members of gangs they’re already in. They all sell drugs and don’t pay taxes. And they get free houses and cars.

Sounds like fake research to me. Limbaugh and Fox say they all come here and join gangs ...or reunite with members of gangs they’re already in. They all sell drugs and don’t pay taxes. And they get free houses and cars.
IMG-20180621-_WA0001.jpg

"most" never show up?

How about 37%?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article144893699.html

Both bills have funding for border wall and infrastructure. The original more than the compromise.
Effective border obstacles are expensive and must be constantly monitored and patrolled, therefore they should be deployed only in areas where they are effective. The building of additional infrastructure should be driven by operational requirements and can be constructed under existing law and funded through the regular appropriations process.

Neither bill will pass. The conservative one already went down.....the "compromise" will fail tomorrow.

Impossible for the GOP caucus to ever agree on an immigration proposal.

Neither bill will pass. The conservative one already went down.....the "compromise" will fail tomorrow.

Impossible for the GOP caucus to ever agree on an immigration proposal.
There was no need to put the border funding in there. That can be done with the regular appropriations process. Anything with amnesty will not get conservative votes. They need to bring up the meadows bill to take care of the family separation crisis as the executive order will not. I agree with you that a "comprehensive bill" will struggle to get enough republican votes.

The immigration adjudication and court system is falling further and further behind. More immigration judges, prosecutors, and staff to assist in immigration proceedings as well as more USCIS asylum officers are essential to enforcing our immigration laws in a timely and effective manner. The House needs to take up the Meadows bill immediately. If they won't then the Senate should look at bringing the Cruz bill to the floor or alternatively the Tillis bill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT