ADVERTISEMENT

DACA, Round...Whatever

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Paul Ryan announced tonight that the House will vote on two Dreamer bills next week, one a conservative proposal from Bob Goodlatte, and the other a compromise package that is still being crafted, according to Politico.

There is no indication yet on whether anyone actually thinks either bill will pass, but by bringing them to the floor, Ryan appears to have forestalled the threat of a discharge petition to bring a clean bipartisan DACA bill up to a vote. The discharge petition was only three votes short, with several moderate Republicans threatening to sign it if Ryan didn't get something done.

Paul Ryan announced tonight that the House will vote on two Dreamer bills next week, one a conservative proposal from Bob Goodlatte, and the other a compromise package that is still being crafted, according to Politico.

There is no indication yet on whether anyone actually thinks either bill will pass, but by bringing them to the floor, Ryan appears to have forestalled the threat of a discharge petition to bring a clean bipartisan DACA bill up to a vote. The discharge petition was only three votes short, with several moderate Republicans threatening to sign it if Ryan didn't get something done.
I didn't realize Paul Ryan was still in the House.

Reactions: sglowrider
Moderate Republicans are useless. They’re functionally indistinguishable from the wingnuts. Better to replace them with whatever Democrat that can get elected.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Moderate Republicans are useless. They’re functionally indistinguishable from the wingnuts. Better to replace them with whatever Democrat that can get elected.
If these two bills have no chance of passing, as some are suggesting, then this is nothing more than a chickenshit move by the moderates. A way to go back to their purple districts and say, "We tried," while also backing down in the face of party leadership. If they had balls, they'd tell Ryan to get stuffed, sign the discharge petition, pass the bipartisan clean bill, and dare Trump to veto it (assuming it also got past the Senate).

At the start of the current Congress, the folks over at VoteView posted this interesting discussion. Basically, they found that the parties had become so unified that the two dimensions used in DW-NOMINATE were no longer really necessary. Voting behavior could be predicted almost as well with only one dimension. The divisions that used to cut across party lines are almost entirely gone; only party membership matters.

It will be interesting to see how that trend continues after this Congress is done. I expect what tiny gap is left will narrow even further.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Meanwhile, Susan Collins ....

I'm reminded of Jonathan Chait's take on the retirement of moderate Republican Olympia Snowe:

When George W. Bush proposed a huge, regressive tax cut in 2001, Snowe, sitting at the heart of a decisive block of centrists, used her leverage to support the passage of a modestly smaller and less regressive version. When Barack Obama proposed a large fiscal stimulus in 2009, Snowe (citing fears of deficits that she had helped create) decided to shave a nice round $100 billion off his figure and call it a day. If a Gingrich administration proposed spending a trillion dollars to erect a 100- foot-tall solid-gold Winston Churchill statue on Mars, Snowe would no doubt decide, after careful deliberation, that the wise course was to trim the height down to 90 feet and perhaps use a cheaper bronze alloy in the base.​

Don't know. Don't care. Not the point.

Of course it's the point. Encouraging parents to put their own kids at the tip of the illegal immigration spear is not good for the kids, is not the kind of parents we should want, and is not good pubic policy.

Implicit in your view is that the illegal immigrant adults are helpless waifs. They aren't. These people are not stupid. They are told that dragging youngsters across the border is an alternative to legal entry. This is nuts. It directly flows from changes in policy instituted previously and needs to stop.

Of course it's the point. Encouraging parents to put their own kids at the tip of the illegal immigration spear is not good for the kids, is not the kind of parents we should want, and is not good pubic policy.

Implicit in your view is that the illegal immigrant adults are helpless waifs. They aren't. These people are not stupid. They are told that dragging youngsters across the border is an alternative to legal entry. This is nuts. It directly flows from changes in policy instituted previously and needs to stop.

So you are saying that the parents are using their children and risking the kid's life on purpose just so the parent can enter the country without concern for the child? Wow, let's even assume I believe that. As a parent myself I cannot believe the shithole and complete despair I would have to be living in to do something like that to my kid. Heck, even if they are doing it with the most admirable of intentions for the kid, I cannot imagine how bad my family's life would have to be to take the risk.

It was dead already. McConnel will not allow a vote in the Senate.

Reactions: Bill4411
So you are saying that the parents are using their children and risking the kid's life on purpose just so the parent can enter the country without concern for the child? Wow, let's even assume I believe that. As a parent myself I cannot believe the shithole and complete despair I would have to be living in to do something like that to my kid. Heck, even if they are doing it with the most admirable of intentions for the kid, I cannot imagine how bad my family's life would have to be to take the risk.

No that isn’t what I said. I said the illegal immigrant parents use their children to obtain advantages that childless illegal immigrants won’t have.

I think you assume too much with reference to shithole. Of course the US, with its higher minimum wage, and various public benefits exceeds the living standards in all of the Western Hemisphere except for Canada. Is providing a better life a good standard for us to apply as an immigration policy for all comers?

I cannot imagine a world view such as yours. It's truly sad, especially on Fathers Day to have anyone talking like this. Enjoy your time in your privileged world with your children.

I cannot imagine a world view such as yours. It's truly sad, especially on Fathers Day to have anyone talking like this. Enjoy your time in your privileged world with your children.

I don’t need s lecture from you about parents and children. Spare me your internet shaming. Illegally entering a country is not a family activity. Parents have traveled great distances with kids to illegally enter. They do that because they’ve been led to believe it is acceptable. It’s a mess for the institutions and governments involved. Sitting in central Indiana with your smug empathy is no solution.

I don’t need s lecture from you about parents and children. Spare me your internet shaming. Illegally entering a country is not a family activity. Parents have traveled great distances with kids to illegally enter. They do that because they’ve been led to believe it is acceptable. It’s a mess for the institutions and governments involved. Sitting in central Indiana with your smug empathy is no solution.
I think maybe it’s time to melt down the Statue of Liberty and take the proceeds and build a statue of the golden calf, or a tower honoring persecution. This country has forsaken everything sacred, reality will be we as a country, divided will not stand. Nor the divider in chief.

I think maybe it’s time to melt down the Statue of Liberty and take the proceeds and build a statue of the golden calf, or a tower honoring persecution. This country has forsaken everything sacred, reality will be we as a country, divided will not stand. Nor the divider in chief.

Ellis island was the gateway for millions of immigrants who entered the US according to the rules. It is next to the Statue of Liberty. Nobody is suggesting we put a stop to legal immigration. The objective is a measure of control and screening. Your post is typical emotional silliness.

All the talk about shitholes and persecution in the countries of origin is racist. Just as inappropriate as Trump’s shithole remark.

The 2018 GOP-directed Indiana Jones movie would have Indy saying the children are illegals who deserve it and walking away from the ICE agents.

You got me, never in the history of cinema has a villain kidnapped or threatened to kidnap children to try to force a parent to not testify or reveal a secret. I made that premise up, but now I am going to sell it to Hollywood for a fortune

Need an agent? ;)

And sitting in Colorado with your callous indifference to thousands of frightened children is no solution either.

And sitting in Colorado with your callous indifference to thousands of frightened children is no solution either.

I don’t have callous indifference. The reasons they are in this predicament are many. It starts with parents, not with the village.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT